How many games do you thing the football team will win?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.

How many wins for football?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
11%
37%
15%
26%
7%
4%

Total votes: 27

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

How many games do you thing the football team will win?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Simple question, how many do you think the football team will win during the regular season?
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: How many games do you thing the football team will win?

I voted 3. We lost by ten at Maine last year, we get them at home this year. The same for Brown. We lost by 3 at New Hampshire and get them at home. We get Albany at home, they were picked second to last in the conference and they were in the NEC four years ago. We lost to Stony Brook by 12 at home and they're four years out of the NEC. We get Elon on the road. That's at least six games that for whatever reason we should be at least competitive if not win. We've got a recruiting class coming in that should be towards the top of the league. Our recruiting was supposedly getting better even before that, and they're starting to mature. Seeing as I said that anything less then 3 games is a failure and I'd still prefer to set the bar low, I say they win 3 games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

2...hopeful, but...2
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

3 big wins.
If we get a QB that can play then things will be different.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm going to be slightly optimistic here and say 4 wins. Like PRT said, it's all about the QB.

The defense has to be able to stop somebody too, and of course not too many injuries, especially at the QB position.

Anything less than 4, and not enough progress is being made. If the recruiting rankings are accurate, there should be improvement.

If not, then forget it.......
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Get rid of the program.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Upgrade program, finally.
If State of RI can build a $16 million pedestrian Bridge in Providence, then they can do anything, including upgrading URI Athletic Facilities.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I picked 0 that way when they go 1-10 they will have exceeded my lofty expectations.

Seriously though, build a stadium or gtfo of the football business. Enough is enough.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

I put down 3 wins but would say a 500 record or drop the program. The cost is not worth what we get. The figure that has been used on this site for the cost is no where near what is paid. Sixty athletes at the out of state cost of 40,000+ a year (plus one course and room and board- 2500+this summer). This is a cost because the seats could be filled with paying students.
The worse thing Rhody athletics has done in the past few years was change their minds about moving down to a lesser scholarship division. We could have still had games and maybe some wins while putting more funds into other sports.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodywins wrote:I put down 3 wins but would say a 500 record or drop the program. The cost is not worth what we get. The figure that has been used on this site for the cost is no where near what is paid. Sixty athletes at the out of state cost of 40,000+ a year (plus one course and room and board- 2500+this summer). This is a cost because the seats could be filled with paying students.
The worse thing Rhody athletics has done in the past few years was change their minds about moving down to a lesser scholarship division. We could have still had games and maybe some wins while putting more funds into other sports.
So how much does the team lose if you do not agree with the $500,000 as quoted by the AD?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This article came out a year ago.
Thor has solidly been behind football at URI for his 9 years here.
He explains why in his opinion URI should have football.
He also says the cost is $500,000 per year.

Post subject: Rhody Football costs the university about $500,000PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Should URI Drop Football? Maybe Not
http://ripr.org/post/should-uri-drop-football-maybe-not

After Disastrous Season Opener, Should URI Drop Football? Maybe Not
Thirteen consecutive losing seasons. Just three winning seasons since 1985. Zero championships since the 1984 and 1985 teams won back-to-back Yankee

Thirteen consecutive losing seasons. Three winning seasons since 1985. Zero championships since the 1984 and 1985 teams won back-to-back Yankee Conference titles. Zero playoff appearances since the 1985 team lost in the quarterfinals of the NCAA I-AA Tournament. Its 6,500-seat “stadium” tied with New Hampshire for the smallest in the Colonial Athletic Association. Except for brief streaks in the 1950s and early 1980s, no tradition of winning football going back more than a century to the inaugural campaign in 1895.

All that at an annual cost of about $3.6 million.

It’s time to pull the plug on football at the University of Rhode Island.

Or is it? Thorr Bjorn, the director of athletics, has heard the call to drop football since he took the job eight years ago but has not wavered in his support.

“My opinion has not changed. Football is very important,” he said when I spoke to him at the end of August. Football brings people to the Kingston campus five or six times a season for events that would not be held were it not for the sport. Last year, despite a one-win season, home attendance was good, he said. In addition, football contributes to the diversity of the student population in Kingston. Are those benefits worth the cost? Bjorn says yes.

That was before the season opener at Syracuse last Friday night, a 47-0 humiliation. The offense produced a gaudy total of 64 yards, two first downs and four yards rushing; fumbled four times and lost three, and had an intercepted pass returned for a touchdown. Ram runners averaged seven inches per carry. Inches, not yards! If you tripped over the line of scrimmage, you’d average more than seven inches per carry.

Rhody’s defense gave up 426 yards and three scoring drives of more than 60 yards. The punt team allowed a 74-yard return for a touchdown on the last play from scrimmage in the first half.

Coach Jim Fleming chose “embarrassing” and “disappointed” to describe that horror show. Unfortunately, it was not an aberration. URI visited Syracuse in 2002, lost the game, 63-17, and lost its quarterback. URI opened at Connecticut in 2006 and lost, 52-7. I could go on, but you get the picture right? And the prospects for this season are grim. Four of URI’s first five games are on the road. The Rams will visit Albany on Saturday and host Ivy League champion Harvard on Sept. 19. They will make the long trip to Maine on Sept. 26 and visit Brown on Oct. 3 for the 100th meeting in the series. The rest of their October schedule includes home games against Delaware and Richmond and a visit to CAA champion New Hampshire. In November URI will face Villanova and Stony Brook at home and close at Towson, the Rams’ only victory in 2014.

Nevertheless, Bjorn and the URI administration are committed to football. A big reason that critics usually fail to comprehend is that football costs the university about $500,000. That’s all. You see, the football operating budget is about $1.3 million, and the athletic department raises about $800,000 of that total. This year the projections are $200,000 from donations and $150,000 from ticket sales. Syracuse paid a $400,000 guarantee. That’s right, the Rams collected $400,000 to travel to upstate New York to get whipped. Next year URI will head to Kansas for $500,000 and in 2017 to Eastern Michigan for $400,000. Boston College and UConn are future guarantee games.

What about scholarships, you ask? URI awards the equivalent of 58 full scholarships worth about $2.3 million to football players, Bjorn said. He agreed that even without a football program, the university would probably use that money for financial aid, unless it wanted to reduce expenses or enrollment.

So, for an outlay of $500,000 from the institution, URI gets a home opener, Family Day, Armed Forces Day, Homecoming, Saturdays are potential crowd pleasers. This year is also the 30th anniversary of the 1985 Yankee Conference championship, the 100th meeting of URI and Brown and the first meeting of URI and Harvard.

Befitting an optimist, Bjorn sees brighter days ahead.

“I have all the confidence in the world that we’ll see progress and growth,” he said. But Thorr, just how do we measure progress and growth? “Wins and losses,” he replied. “We have to win games.”

When? Of all the old Yankee Conference teams still playing football, URI has gone the longest without a championship or playoff appearance. Two former Yankee Conference rivals, Boston University and Northeastern, dropped football in recent years and are thriving. Ditto for Hofstra, a former Colonial Athletic Association rival. And let’s not forget that the University of Vermont dropped football after the 1974 season and has not suffered in the least.

The same could be true for URI. But not now, it appears. And hey, 30 years have passed since Rhody’s last mini-dynasty. It could be time for another.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

I am not saying the 500,000 figure is wrong for what it cost the athletic dept. Maybe the school writes off the cost of the scholarship (room, board, fees, tuition, books). I am saying that the scholarship expense must be considered because it could be replaced by a paying student sitting in the class or sleeping in the bed.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodywins wrote:I am not saying the 500,000 figure is wrong for what it cost the athletic dept. Maybe the school writes off the cost of the scholarship (room, board, fees, tuition, books). I am saying that the scholarship expense must be considered because it could be replaced by a paying student sitting in the class or sleeping in the bed.
It could but that is not what Thor says would happen. He says the money would go straight to the scholarship funding.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

BU,NE,Hofstra and UVM have little or no natl. profile.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:BU,NE,Hofstra and UVM have little or no natl. profile.
You see a lot of Sam Houston State, Jacksonville State, Chattanooga and Eastern Washington apparel in your neighborhood?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Nationally,i see and hear a lot more of Sam Houston,Chat and E. Wash. .
There may be some local appeal to book worms to BU,NE and Hofstra only there.
No way coast to coast. NE made some noise with hoops last year. The other two have had zip for exposure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BU, Northeastern, Hofstra and Vermont had poor attendance and simply did not want to continue football

The 4 teams you list had per game attendance last year in FCS of:
Jacksonville State - 20,598
Chattanooga - 10,152
Eastern Washington - 9,577
Sam Houston State - 6,398

Their rankings in the Coach's Poll:
Jacksonville State - 3rd
Chattanooga - 7th
Eastern Washington - 17th
Sam Houston State - 2nd
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:Nationally,i see and hear a lot more of Sam Houston,Chat and E. Wash. .
There may be some local appeal to book worms to BU,NE and Hofstra only there.
No way coast to coast. NE made some noise with hoops last year. The other two have had zip for exposure.
Then you live in a reality that only exists on FCS message boards.Those schools have the same profile for the most part as the four I listed. BU probably has the biggest profile of the 8 schools mentioned.

I also like the book worm comment. God forbid college athletics have any kind of relationship with you know, college. Then again, you're the same poster who said a dad would be spinning over in his grave because his son decided to pursue engineering instead of playing for URI football.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I see UVM on tv for hoops nationally. Hockey too?
Did BU,NE and Hofstra drop other sports than FB?
I don't see or hear much about them. Can't imagine why.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Get rid of the program.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Upgrade program, finally.
If State of RI can build a $250 million the Dunk in Providence, then they can do anything, including upgrading URI Athletic Facilities.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I'm voting four. We need a consistent quarterback, one who will make sure that they don't focus on Cooper every down. I agree with others for some long distance threats. There were times last year where we would control the ball, but with few long plays get bogged down even before we hit the red zone. Our tdefense was not that bad, considering there were many times when we were three and out. Kansas should give us some idea, hopefully, good grief, it will be better than Syracuse. Go Rhody!
0 x