What would you consider to be a successful football season?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.

What does football need to be considered successful this year?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

Win the championship, if you're not first you're last
No votes
Make the playoffs
No votes
Win at least 6 games, a winning record
10%
5 wins, Joe Trainer's high mark in a season
15%
4 wins
55%
3 wins, Trainer's last season, won 3 games twice in 5 years
15%
2 wins, an improvement from the last two years
No votes
1 win
5%
0 wins, they're successful as long as they exist
No votes

Total votes: 20

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

What would you consider to be a successful football season?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

With football season starting a month from yesterday, I'm interested to see how people feel. This poll question isn't how many games you think they'll win, this is how many you believe they need to win to be successful. You can define successful how you choose, though if you vote it would probably helpful for you to state what you believe. Assume relatively average football health.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: What would you consider to be a successful football seas

I voted they need to win at least 3 games.

Trainer won at least three games in 3 of his 5 years, including his last year. He inherited talent from Rizzi and benefited from Hofstra ending their program, but he also had to deal with the hardest parts of the aborted NEC move, which people on here said was crippling.

It's time for Fleming to get the program at least to the level it was the year before he took over. It's his third year, it's time to start seeing results. Supposedly the last two recruiting classes were some of the best in the conference. Anything less then 3 wins is a failure. If he can't win more then one game it's time to seriously consider at least pulling the plug on the Fleming era.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'd love to see them win 3 or more games just so there is marked improvement that you can point to. I hope they can win even more than that. We can't start thinking about being good at football until we start being at least competitive. So really what I want to see is a team that competes, doesn't get steamrolled by quality opponents, etc. I don't know nearly enough about the relative quality of the opponents on this year's schedule to try to identify what games the team "needs" to win this year.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I voted four, but three would be fine I suppose. I also think an NCAA Tournament berth for the basketball team would DRASTICALLY help both Meade Stadium and the football team from a financial perspective.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:I also think an NCAA Tournament berth for the basketball team would DRASTICALLY help both Meade Stadium and the football team from a financial perspective.
Why? Do you think the voters would be more likely to improve Meade Stadium if the basketball team was successful or do you think the athletic department would make the colossal mistake of taking money the basketball team earned that could be reinvested to continue their climb and putting it into football? Because NCAA tournament money doesn't equal what Meade needs, that seems like a fine way of making sure basketball doesn't run at its optimal level while not really improving football's fortunes.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:I also think an NCAA Tournament berth for the basketball team would DRASTICALLY help both Meade Stadium and the football team from a financial perspective.
Why? Do you think the voters would be more likely to improve Meade Stadium if the basketball team was successful or do you think the athletic department would make the colossal mistake of taking money the basketball team earned that could be reinvested to continue their climb and putting it into football? Because NCAA tournament money doesn't equal what Meade needs, that seems like a fine way of making sure basketball doesn't run at its optimal level while not really improving football's fortunes.
Yeah I really hope that would not be the case. Unless the financial aspect of it works in some way I am not understanding, I would really really be angry if they took money from a basketball tourney appearance and put it into football. Is there some reason why they would have to do that? At it's absolute best, football can become something that is extremely successful (like making the FCS playoffs type successful) and still nobody outside of Rhode Island would know they even existed. It would be FAR more important to continue to invest that money into basketball where that type of success has national recognition.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I'd love to see them win 3 or more games just so there is marked improvement that you can point to. I hope they can win even more than that. We can't start thinking about being good at football until we start being at least competitive. So really what I want to see is a team that competes, doesn't get steamrolled by quality opponents, etc. I don't know nearly enough about the relative quality of the opponents on this year's schedule to try to identify what games the team "needs" to win this year.
For as negative as I've been about the football team, they do seem to be getting more competitive. In Trainer's last year the average conference game was a 30.9-6.4 loss. They actually got shutout in 4 out of their 8 conference games and scored a combined 31 points in their two conference wins against Albany and Richmond. In Fleming's first year the average conference game was a 31.1-13.6 loss. And last year it was a 25-13 loss. That said, it does feel like the conference has been down over the last few years from its peak.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'd love to know who voted one win would be a successful year and what their reasoning is.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

4 wins...don't get blown out every week...score more than 15 pts/game
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I didn't pick one win. But, beating Kansas would do it for me. (I can dream, can't I?). Of course, I say that about any school that plays them.
0 x