Catcher drafted and new facilities

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Catcher drafted and new facilities

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-basebl/ ... 0611ubs7ak

This is great news.
I have been screaming for more kids from SE Ct. and ECC in all sports for years.

What is status of chair back seats for baseball?
A mini Fenway?
Are the baseball alums fund raising for this?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Catcher drafted and new facilities

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hal Kopp wrote:What is status of chair back seats for baseball?
A mini Fenway?
Are the baseball alums fund raising for this?
God I hope no mini Fenway. The way some people have turned Fenway into a fetish is just totally overboard, and there's no reason to do a mini Fenway at URI. Going to other major league ballparks it's easy to see the many ways that Fenway is even now totally substandard and it's not like we're their spring training or minor league facility, so there's not even an argument that it should be set up to train the outfielders how to learn the dimensions.

For eight years now the baseball program has run a raffle. $100 a ticket, winner gets Red Sox season tickets or $10,000. That's in addition to other fundraisers they do like golf tournaments and so on. They say their next project is a new press box, grandstand, and luxury seating along with lights.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Thanks Rhowdy-sounds great.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

What does "mini-Fenway" mean, specifically? I feel like that can be interpreted in so many different ways.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I imagine it like the new Red Sox spring training complex that heavily features a Green Monster and the same outfield dimensions as Fenway. The Green Monster made sense for Fenway because of the land they were building the park in. And I suppose it makes sense at their spring training complex and minor league facilities to teach players coming up how to play a Fenway style outfield. But for URI to recreate the same outfield in a rural area where space and outfield seating isn't a real consideration just because a major league team 75 miles away is set up like that would look so gimmicky and dumb.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I imagine it like the new Red Sox spring training complex that heavily features a Green Monster and the same outfield dimensions as Fenway. The Green Monster made sense for Fenway because of the land they were building the park in. And I suppose it makes sense at their spring training complex and minor league facilities to teach players coming up how to play a Fenway style outfield. But for URI to recreate the same outfield in a rural area where space and outfield seating isn't a real consideration just because a major league team 75 miles away is set up like that would look so gimmicky and dumb.
Agree...no sensible need for a mini-Fenway knockoff. Seatbacks and lights would be great.
Then add about 20-25 degrees to the average temperature for their games and you're in bid-ness 8-)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I imagine it like the new Red Sox spring training complex that heavily features a Green Monster and the same outfield dimensions as Fenway. The Green Monster made sense for Fenway because of the land they were building the park in. And I suppose it makes sense at their spring training complex and minor league facilities to teach players coming up how to play a Fenway style outfield. But for URI to recreate the same outfield in a rural area where space and outfield seating isn't a real consideration just because a major league team 75 miles away is set up like that would look so gimmicky and dumb.
Agree...no sensible need for a mini-Fenway knockoff. Seatbacks and lights would be great.
Then add about 20-25 degrees to the average temperature for their games and you're in bid-ness 8-)
Plus a lot of big trees to block the wind that can be brutal
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Plus a lot of big trees to block the wind that can be brutal
Speaking of mini-Fenway knockoffs... I go to Greenville, SC every month for work and will likely take in a game here in the next couple days: http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?si ... vkey=team1
0 x