Football Blue White Game April 30th 10:00 AM

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Football Blue White Game April 30th 10:00 AM

Unread post by OBRAM »

Also, cookout, after and during the game
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: Football Blue White Game April 30th 10:00 AM

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Vezzano,Mroz and Mckoy top 3 for QB I hear.
Need more o lineman. Rbs look good.
Play calling better.
That is My G2. Any other views?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hal Kopp wrote:Vezzano,Mroz and Mckoy top 3 for QB I hear.
Need more o lineman. Rbs look good.
Play calling better.
That is My G2. Any other views?
Vazzano looks very good. Here is a highlight video from his senior year in HS.
I like McKoy a lot last year, especially considering he was only a Freshman leading the team in the QB slot.
Is it conceivable that McKoy could be a running back with Vazzano at QB?
Either way I like both of these guys so not a bad position to be in.
Offensive and Defensive lines will be stronger.

0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Went to the spring game yesterday. Vazzano looked very good. He's big, looks strong, and has a good arm. The depth chart lists McKoy at #1 and Vazzano #2, but I see that changing during the year. I liked McKoy last season, but yesterday he did not have a good day at all. McKoy and Vazzano will be fighting for the starting job Fleming said yesterday.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

It bodes well that former start James Capparell is our 4th string QB. It shows the talent that Fleming was working with, and the type of talent he has brought in. I've talked to a few high school coaches who have been in the room while he is talking to recruits, and they've been very impressed.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

What happened to the offensive coordinator -- was he let go or did move on?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Iggy1979 wrote:What happened to the offensive coordinator -- was he let go or did move on?
I didn't think they had one?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

NYG fan,Bill Bleil I think was the OC last year.
He was definitely the play caller and he stunk.
A major disappointment. He was probably asked to leave.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:NYG fan,Bill Bleil I think was the OC last year.
He was definitely the play caller and he stunk.
A major disappointment. He was probably asked to leave.
Well, hopefully, they upgrade. Love college football games, made several trips from CT 2 yrs ago to see them play. ...but dang, gotta be competitive....we live practically next to campus now and couldn't even drag myself over there this past season... Looking to give it another shot this year tho
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

The one thing that is certain,is this years team is shaping up very nice.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:The one thing that is certain,is this years team is shaping up very nice.
like...competitive..."5 wins" nice?
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

We have a football team?
They should've just stopped in the middle of practice and announce that the program is cancelled.
In fact, I would've volunteer to do it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

860_rhody wrote:We have a football team?
They should've just stopped in the middle of practice and announce that the program is cancelled.
Go shit in your hat
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Go shit in your hat
:lol: :lol: Way to 'moderate'
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

TruePoint wrote:
Go shit in your hat
I don't really wear hats. Can I borrow one of yours?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

860_rhody wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Go shit in your hat
Larry Turd, at it again......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

860_rhody wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Go shit in your hat
You can have my URI football hat, if you shit in it then wear it to a football game.

In all seriousness, what kind of person roots for the football team at their own school to fail? We can agree that the program has not been great, but I'd rather see it get better than see it die.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Huh?? 'rooting for them to fail'?? 1 win in each of the last two years?...5 total wins in 4 years?...seems like that 'fail' horse might have already left the barn? I'd like to see them be better...college football games can be fun to go to...but at some point, does it make sense to consider spending that cash elsewhere?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Huh?? 'rooting for them to fail'?? 1 win in each of the last two years?...5 total wins in 4 years?...seems like that 'fail' horse might have already left the barn? I'd like to see them be better...college football games can be fun to go to...but at some point, does it make sense to consider spending that cash elsewhere?
Yes, but more because of the stadium then the record. The East stands are rapidly transitioning from competitive disadvantage in the CAA to public safety hazard, if they're not they're already which I believe they are. We're passed the point where URI either needs to follow UNH's lead and invest $20-30 million in rehabbing the stadium, drop to a lower level so they don't need to invest as much in replacing the stands, find an off campus location to play, or fold the program. Further inaction, which could result in a serious tragedy is not an option.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

What kind of school loses $500K per year just to avoid offending people? The players and the 10 people who care will get over it eventually, and in the meantime, enjoy our much improved basketball program.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We aren't "losing" 500k not offending people. They are spending 500k on a football program (not sure about that number but going with it for simplicity), and we can agree that we are not getting a good return on that at this point. But having a football program is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Very few schools URI's size don't have a football program, and even fewer flagship state universities don't have a football program. The problem isn't that we are spending too much on the football program, it's that we haven't been spending what we are spending correctly. Really, we probably aren't spending enough money on football.

The idea that the football money would be redirected to something we care about is also a fanciful delusion. If the football money comes out of the budget, it will get absorbed backfilling any number of a million things that we probably will never even notice.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The losing $500,000 came directly from the AD in a newspaper article at the beginning of last season.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We didn't lose it. I don't care who said it. We know where it went. We spent the money on the football program.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well, here's to hoping they turn it around...Right now, seems like, they couldn't suck any worse if they were paid to suck worse. I love going to college football games, but not if the locals have a less than 10% chance of winning...Win some games...pleeeease...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well either the turnaround starts this coming season, or it's time to shitcan the program imo.......

Every year some people say the overall talent level is rising...and then we win one game again......

Hopefully this new QB is the real deal. Show us, please......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Well either the turnaround starts this coming season, or it's time to shitcan the program imo.......

Every year some people say the overall talent level is rising...and then we win one game again......
Hopefully this new QB is the real deal. Show us, please......
Rambone,
I have not seen anyone saying every year that the talent level for football has been rising - yet we keep winning 1 game as you say
Fact is the recruiting has suffered ever since the decision was made to go to the NEC and scholarships dropped, players transferred out, level of talent obviously dropped then we decided to stay CAA but damage was done - although there are differences of opinion on how much this hurt.
Recruiting classes have not been strong or highly rated in a very long time until this year.

This is the first year that we got rated by 247 as having the 2nd best recruiting class in the CAA.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You've said it I believe along with smarty Barrett. Obram has definitely said it and Hal Kopp has made a lifestyle out of it
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Said what?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster, people have been overrating the football talent coming in for years.

Sort of like Dan when he told us the transfers would be really good, in so many words.

Well, now it's time to produce on both the gridiron and the hardwood.

We've had enough hollow talk. Get it done. Results are what matters.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I will put my name on it. First of all, you can be a terrible one win team and get marginally better and still only win one game. At the beginning of a turnaround, the results may not blow you away. The other thing is in college football there is a lag between recruiting results and on-field results. If the last two years saw an uptic in recruiting, you wouldn't have necessarily seen the results on the field yet. That hour is drawing near, though. No doubt.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I REALLY hope they get better..I have a sports addiction...I live close by...I really want to go to the games....Please...please...please...stop sucking......
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:I will put my name on it. First of all, you can be a terrible one win team and get marginally better and still only win one game. At the beginning of a turnaround, the results may not blow you away. The other thing is in college football there is a lag between recruiting results and on-field results. If the last two years saw an uptick in recruiting, you wouldn't have necessarily seen the results on the field yet. That hour is drawing near, though. No doubt.
I definitely believe that the talent recruited since Fleming came on board has increased over what we saw with Trainer. We all want immediate results from it, but TP's point above is spot on.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I will put my name on it. First of all, you can be a terrible one win team and get marginally better and still only win one game. At the beginning of a turnaround, the results may not blow you away. The other thing is in college football there is a lag between recruiting results and on-field results. If the last two years saw an uptick in recruiting, you wouldn't have necessarily seen the results on the field yet. That hour is drawing near, though. No doubt.
I definitely believe that the talent recruited since Fleming came on board has increased over what we saw with Trainer. We all want immediate results from it, but TP's point above is spot on.
I'm not sure how much we've improved overall if you go from 3-9 (2-6) the year before Fleming to 1-11 (1-7) his first year and get smoked by a team (CCSU) that you smoked the year before, to 1-10 (1-7) in year two. I agree there was slight improvement from year one of Fleming to year two, but not good enough, you're still not even back to where you were under Trainor let alone improving on it, and if you're making any real improvement you should at least get more wins then you did the year before. I mean expecting to see at least two wins from your football team isn't some unrealistic goal.

A general rule of thumb is that by year three you should see where the program is with a new coach. This coming year is year three. If we're not even back to three wins I'll be disappointed, assuming standard health/circumstances.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:ramster, people have been overrating the football talent coming in for years.

Sort of like Dan when he told us the transfers would be really good, in so many words.
Well, now it's time to produce on both the gridiron and the hardwood.
We've had enough hollow talk. Get it done. Results are what matters.
Dan Hurley said the transfers would be good and he said they were beating the team in practice that was playing the games that season.
He also said later that he underrated the Atlantic 10.
Dan also had the job to try to get people excited about the team again and to try to get people in the stands.
That was 4 or more years ago.
Dan does not blow the horn of incoming recruits like some other Coaches.
He also keeps things quite quiet on the recruiting front.

But back to Football as this is a Football thread, this is the first time that I can ever remember our recruiting class being ranked #2 in the CAA. It has been a long, long uphill struggle since the joining the NEC announcement tool place, that I criticized heavily when it happened and several here were in favor of that. That announcement set us back a lot and the program was in not good shape anyway - that just about put the final nail in the coffin. Football was on life support.

Have to give a lot of credit to those who attend the games and enjoy the games. Crowds have been better than even the naysayers struggle to understand. Some improvement in the team's talent will help get people in the stands for sure.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

[quote="ramster"]Have to give a lot of credit to those who attend the games and enjoy the games.[quote]

Why? It's not like people going to games are doing something heroic or amazing. At best, they've decided that going to the games and likely seeing their favorite team lose is worth the money they're spending. A simple economic transaction, nothing more. At worst, their willingness to continue to spend money on the program has allowed the administration to believe that there is no reason to make the necessary investments for the program to be successful. Remember it wasn't until attendance plummeted that they fired Baron. Why should the administration spend more to have a successful program when people are happy enough to purchase a cheaper, inferior product? And don't even get me started on the people who enjoy watching their favorite team lose.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

So its the fans fault? Ok, Got it.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ramster wrote:Have to give a lot of credit to those who attend the games and enjoy the games.

Why? It's not like people going to games are doing something heroic or amazing. At best, they've decided that going to the games and likely seeing their favorite team lose is worth the money they're spending. A simple economic transaction, nothing more. At worst, their willingness to continue to spend money on the program has allowed the administration to believe that there is no reason to make the necessary investments for the program to be successful. Remember it wasn't until attendance plummeted that they fired Baron. Why should the administration spend more to have a successful program when people are happy enough to purchase a cheaper, inferior product? And don't even get me started on the people who enjoy watching their favorite team lose.
What??? This post makes no sense at all. Wow..... So it is my fault that the football team loses because I enjoy watching the student athletes play a sport that I enjoy? Because of my simple economic transaction of paying to support my school, and nothing more, is the reason why they don;t make necessary investments in the program?

Who enjoys watching them lose? I enjoy watching them play. I enjoy watching football. Therefore, I go to the game. If they lose, I don't enjoy the fact that they have lost, but I typically enjoy the outing which is why I return. Your post was probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on these forums, dating back to the old Projo board days! Gandy, is that you??
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

It's obviously not all the fans fault but if you look at European soccer for example there have been matches were fans have boycotted games because they're unhappy with management. This includes fans who are season ticket holders and have already paid for the game as well.

Obviously fans boycotting games is a scenario you don't want to have happen but as RR02 said, the administration probably doesn't feel much heat on them to improve the program because clearly fans are content with the current situation.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Surfri72 wrote:So its the fans fault? Ok, Got it.
If you continue to spend money to buy tickets for a poor product and don't do anything to press the administration or state to improve the product, you are part of the problem, yes. You're telling them that losing season after losing season is acceptable. People, one way or the other, vote with their wallets.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote:What??? This post makes no sense at all. Wow..... So it is my fault that the football team loses because I enjoy watching the student athletes play a sport that I enjoy? Because of my simple economic transaction of paying to support my school, and nothing more, is the reason why they don;t make necessary investments in the program?

Who enjoys watching them lose? I enjoy watching them play. I enjoy watching football. Therefore, I go to the game. If they lose, I don't enjoy the fact that they have lost, but I typically enjoy the outing which is why I return. Your post was probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on these forums, dating back to the old Projo board days! Gandy, is that you??
My point about it being a simple economic transaction was a reply talking about football fans deserving credit. They don't. They're not doing some amazing thing, they're buying tickets to a game.

And yes, as I said in my last post, if you buy tickets and don't do anything to press the administration or state into improving the product, you're part of the problem. Continuing to spend money on buying tickets tells the powers that be that the stadium and our place in the standings is just fine.

Finally, your sentence "If they lose, I don't enjoy the fact that they have lost, but I typically enjoy the outing which is why I return" absolutely disgusts me. Enjoying an outing when your favorite team loses is such a loser mentality and anyone that is truly passionate about a team can't enjoy watching their favorite team lose. If you enjoy a loss then you're not really invested in the team, you're just invested in having something to do on a Saturday afternoon. There's a difference.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI Basketball fired Jim Baron because of his performance. It could have been influenced by the fans not going to games as well but that would not have been the only driving force. Baron winning 7 games was a big part of it. Funny think is Baron was surprised by the firing.

Football also has paying fans and attendance plays a part.

But the biggest problem with the basketball was URI Administration giving Baron the 10 year contract, and then later on URI gave him an extension.

The management of the Head Coaches is up to the AD. That is his or her job. I am not going to feel one bit guilty because I went to every game of Baron's last two seasons and did not join in the "strike".

Soccer, Baseball, Track and Field, Hockey, Golf, Tennis, Softball, etc all have Budgets and all get low fan turnouts. Most have no admission charges, no tickets, no season tickets yet all have Head Coaches who are hired, fired and counseled as part of the AD's job. Fans don't shoulder the responsibility to not attend these events to try to force the Administration to make a move on a HC.

So not sure why the fan attendance takes on so much criticism for the state of the Basketball and Football programs at URI.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:URI Basketball fired Jim Baron because of his performance. It could have been influenced by the fans not going to games as well but that would not have been the only driving force. Baron winning 7 games was a big part of it. Funny think is Baron was surprised by the firing.

The management of the Head Coaches is up to the AD. That is his or her job. I am not going to feel one bit guilty because I went to every game of Baron's last two seasons and did not join in the "strike".
The AD said a big reason, if not the main reason, for Baron's firing was declining attendance. Do you think he was lying? Do you think Baron would have been fired if attendance hadn't fallen?

And you might not feel guilty, but you certainly benefited from the strike. You're welcome.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ramster wrote:URI Basketball fired Jim Baron because of his performance. It could have been influenced by the fans not going to games as well but that would not have been the only driving force. Baron winning 7 games was a big part of it. Funny think is Baron was surprised by the firing.

The AD said a big reason, if not the main reason, for Baron's firing was declining attendance. Do you think he was lying? Do you think Baron would have been fired if attendance hadn't fallen?
And you might not feel guilty, but you certainly benefited from the strike. You're welcome.
Yes, I definitely think Baron would have been fired if attendance had not fallen. Plus much of the attendance drop was a direct result of his poor performance. Chicken and the egg. The AD can say a big reason was attendance drop - of course. Watch the Red Sox attendance when they do poorly and are not in the pennant race.

The AD's and President's of URI should have fired Baron year's ago. That is even MORE painfully obvious now with the superior job that Dan Hurley is doing. There never should have been a 10 year contract and never should have been an extension.

but again, Basketball and Football should be no different from the other sports that have no paid admission. The President and AD do performance reviews, they set expectations and they manage to those expectations. They then take actions as necessary. Fans or no fans.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpa ... oncessions

Ramster,great post. My fenway park reference is just for convenience. How about a concession stand with RI (clear chowder),full belly clam and lobster rolls? Like the goals. An AD at UConn once told a top Juco baseball coach in the state,when he asked for some $$-you want $$ go raise it yourself. There are plenty of softball and baseball fans in RI and alums to generate $$ for these programs.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:
Yes, I definitely think Baron would have been fired if attendance had not fallen. Plus much of the attendance drop was a direct result of his poor performance. Chicken and the egg. The AD can say a big reason was attendance drop - of course. Watch the Red Sox attendance when they do poorly and are not in the pennant race.

The AD's and President's of URI should have fired Baron year's ago. That is even MORE painfully obvious now with the superior job that Dan Hurley is doing. There never should have been a 10 year contract and never should have been an extension.

but again, Basketball and Football should be no different from the other sports that have no paid admission. The President and AD do performance reviews, they set expectations and they manage to those expectations. They then take actions as necessary. Fans or no fans.
People stopped going to basketball games because of poor performance. People are still going to football games even with the poor performance which is why the administration is probably not worried.

If a company has a crappy product but it sells well then why spend money making improvements? Look at Beats by Dre headphones or even Bose, awful performance for the price but they market them well and people keep buying them so both companies probably aren't going to dump money in to improve the sound. Same can be said with URI football right now. If fans are content with watching a college football game at URI and don't care about the product on the field then why waste money when there might be very little return?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:If you continue to spend money to buy tickets for a poor product and don't do anything to press the administration or state to improve the product, you are part of the problem, yes. You're telling them that losing season after losing season is acceptable. People, one way or the other, vote with their wallets.
RR, you have pointed out in other threads that football attendance is indeed declining. It seems like you're railing on fans for not doing something that they absolutely are doing.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That is a fair point. I guess my two issues with that are I believe more people should be following the lead so more pressure is applied and the administration should see this trend and finally take some kind of action instead of continuously kicking the can down the road.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The administration knows whether a team is good or bad and how the fans feel about it regardless of what is going on with the attendance. If the only reason we had a football program was to make money off of ticket sales then I don't doubt boycotting games might make a difference. But that just isn't driving the decision making. The biggest thing the football program needs is a new stadium, and there is no scenario in which they hold a football game to which nobody shows up and that is the impetus for building a new stadium.

What the football program needs is financial support. The people running the program want it to be better but are hamstrung by lousy facilities and limited budgets. Staying home in protest does nothing to fix that.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They know it? Then what are they doing to fix it? What concrete steps are being taken to get a new stadium?
0 x