Football Blue White Game April 30th 10:00 AM

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Football Blue White Game April 30th 10:00 AM

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:They know it? Then what are they doing to fix it? What concrete steps are being taken to get a new stadium?
I don't know. I do know proposed solutions that have 0% chance of working and 100% chance of making things worse aren't really solutions at all. So staying home from games isn't the answer.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And going to the games is? What exactly has that solved to this point? We're in the middle of the worst period in the program's history with a stadium falling apart and an administration unable to fix the problem, assuming they believe there is a problem. Clueless or inept, not really a great choice.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Whether it is the answer or not, if you like going to games then you should go, and I don't understand why you'd be criticized for it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
Yes, I definitely think Baron would have been fired if attendance had not fallen. Plus much of the attendance drop was a direct result of his poor performance. Chicken and the egg. The AD can say a big reason was attendance drop - of course. Watch the Red Sox attendance when they do poorly and are not in the pennant race.

The AD's and President's of URI should have fired Baron year's ago. That is even MORE painfully obvious now with the superior job that Dan Hurley is doing. There never should have been a 10 year contract and never should have been an extension.

but again, Basketball and Football should be no different from the other sports that have no paid admission. The President and AD do performance reviews, they set expectations and they manage to those expectations. They then take actions as necessary. Fans or no fans.
People stopped going to basketball games because of poor performance. People are still going to football games even with the poor performance which is why the administration is probably not worried.

If a company has a crappy product but it sells well then why spend money making improvements? Look at Beats by Dre headphones or even Bose, awful performance for the price but they market them well and people keep buying them so both companies probably aren't going to dump money in to improve the sound. Same can be said with URI football right now. If fans are content with watching a college football game at URI and don't care about the product on the field then why waste money when there might be very little return?
So why does any school ever build a new stadium, or expand a current one if the only reason anything positive is done is because of declining attendance.
Is the only reason a URI President and Athletic Director to move forward with improving Football facilities related to sagging attendance?

Can you guys inititiate a petition? Put up signs around campus? Organize a protest of the first game? What can you do to accelerate the attendance strike as soon as possible? Have you started already and that is why attendance is declining?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
Yes, I definitely think Baron would have been fired if attendance had not fallen. Plus much of the attendance drop was a direct result of his poor performance. Chicken and the egg. The AD can say a big reason was attendance drop - of course. Watch the Red Sox attendance when they do poorly and are not in the pennant race.

The AD's and President's of URI should have fired Baron year's ago. That is even MORE painfully obvious now with the superior job that Dan Hurley is doing. There never should have been a 10 year contract and never should have been an extension.

but again, Basketball and Football should be no different from the other sports that have no paid admission. The President and AD do performance reviews, they set expectations and they manage to those expectations. They then take actions as necessary. Fans or no fans.
People stopped going to basketball games because of poor performance. People are still going to football games even with the poor performance which is why the administration is probably not worried.
Just a minor quibble - URI football attendance is a decent number, but, football everywhere tends to do a decent number. (Example: A poster or two frequently brings up that football average attendance is higher than hoops, although it's a bit of a skewed comparison because basketball has 4x to 5x as many home games.)

At least according to Wikipedia, URI ranked 6th out of 12 in average attendance in the CAA, and last in total attendance. New Hampshire has a smaller stadium by 55 seats, but averages roughly 2,500 more people than URI thanks to their success over the years. In the context of all team sports, yes, football is popular, but vs. other football programs, it's clear the poor performance is leading to lower attendance.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Ramster, obviously attendance isn't the thing causing football to not be improved but I just feel like the administration won't change anything if fans clearly don't have a problem with the way football is currently handled. If only ~500 people showed up for a home game I think it'd be pretty eye opening to Thor and others involved that something needs to change. I made a list of the attendance over the last 10 years with our record to show that a bad record doesn't seem to affect attendance that much.

SG, I'm referring to our attendance relative to only ourselves. I'm not sure poor performance is leading to lower attendance. Look at the last 10 years attendance compared to record.

2015 : 4753 : 1-10
2014 : 5317 : 1-11
2013 : 5627 : 3-9
2012 : 4150 : 0-11
2011 : 4715 : 3-8
2010 : 4614 : 5-6
2009 : 3786 : 1-10
2008 : 4853 : 3-9
2007 : 3436 : 3-8
2006 : 3171 : 4-7

Attendance over the last 3 seasons has been higher than the last 10 years attendance average. Looking at those numbers it does not seem like attendance is declining even though the records have gotten worse. If the administration is looking at those attendance numbers tied with record I can't imagine they'd be worried about attendance getting any worse than it has in the past which is why I don't think they are worried about making any renovations.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

More bad news-the FB golf tournament was sold out last week.
It was a lot of new faces (i was not there). A lot of guys from 84-85 did not make it,as they had to travel prior week to Dick Downey and Brian Forsters services. R.I.P..
Conjecture (sure it is B.S.) that season tix sales have been strong.
I did renew.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:Ramster, obviously attendance isn't the thing causing football to not be improved but I just feel like the administration won't change anything if fans clearly don't have a problem with the way football is currently handled. If only ~500 people showed up for a home game I think it'd be pretty eye opening to Thor and others involved that something needs to change. I made a list of the attendance over the last 10 years with our record to show that a bad record doesn't seem to affect attendance that much.

SG, I'm referring to our attendance relative to only ourselves. I'm not sure poor performance is leading to lower attendance. Look at the last 10 years attendance compared to record.

2015 : 4753 : 1-10
2014 : 5317 : 1-11
2013 : 5627 : 3-9
2012 : 4150 : 0-11
2011 : 4715 : 3-8
2010 : 4614 : 5-6
2009 : 3786 : 1-10
2008 : 4853 : 3-9
2007 : 3436 : 3-8
2006 : 3171 : 4-7

Attendance over the last 3 seasons has been higher than the last 10 years attendance average. Looking at those numbers it does not seem like attendance is declining even though the records have gotten worse. If the administration is looking at those attendance numbers tied with record I can't imagine they'd be worried about attendance getting any worse than it has in the past which is why I don't think they are worried about making any renovations.
3 of the last 4 years have been the strongest in the last 10.
We need Obadiah to start an attendance prediction contest for Football
I would not be surprised if this year exceeds the best year of the past 10.
0 x