2016 football schedule

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
neil
Art Stephenson

2016 football schedule

Unread post by neil »

September 3rd at Kansas
September 10th home- Albany
September 17th at Harvard
September 24th home - UNH
October 1st home - Brown
October 8th at Villanova
October 15th at Stony Brook
October 22nd home - Maine
October 29th at JMU
November 12th at Elon
November 19th home Towson State
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016 football schedule

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like they might have a chance to win 6 games imo.

That's IF they are measurably improved. Not saying they will be of course.

Albany, Brown, Stony Brook, Maine, Elon, Towson St.

Anything less than 4 wins, that's not enough improvement.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Rambone-Spot on !!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Neil-did you find the schedule officially posted somewhere?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

6 wins?! Let's hope so.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Hal - I went online to the CAA site and they had nothing, although there was an article below it that had Elon's schedule. I looked and it said that on a Delaware site the CAA had just posted a grid with all the conference games. Knowing about Kansas and Harvard, it was easy to place them in the non-conference blanks along with Brown. This is what retired people can do!! Go Rhody!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Homecoming is the October 22nd game against Maine.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Check the Harvard game, I think it is a Friday night game on Sept 16th.
not September 17th.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Yes, the Harvard game is Friday night 16th.
Sep 16, 2016 Rhode Island Ivy League Digital Network 7:00 p.m.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

This needs to be up on web site. Take last years down for chris sakes!!!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A Big 12 school will be nice for promotion of our program. I'm excited to see win(s) this season.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm still annoyed by the Kansas game. I think it would have been better for us to play UMass at Gillette like was originally scheduled. A better chance to get more fans at the game, an opportunity to see URI play in an NFL stadium, and as bad as Kansas is probably a better chance to notch a win.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am sure it is a much bigger pay day at Kansas.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think there's 500,000 reasons to play Kansas........$ $ $
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS was going to pay URI $175k.
It was announced that the two schools agreed to drop the game. Not sure but I think UMASS initiated the cancelation

The Kansas Game came up quickly soon after the URI game cancellation with UMASS was announced
Kansas has was looking for a game because their Home and Home agreement with Hawaii was cancelled

Most likely URI will get between $600K and 900k for this game. Would be a good question for URI athletic department
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm still annoyed by the Kansas game. I think it would have been better for us to play UMass at Gillette like was originally scheduled. A better chance to get more fans at the game, an opportunity to see URI play in an NFL stadium, and as bad as Kansas is probably a better chance to notch a win.
We gotta keep the lights on by paying our bills. UMass wouldn't do that for us.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect, now we're worried about finances when it comes to football? The most optimistic outlook has us losing $500,000 a year on football. If we're making sound, strictly financial desicions when it comes to football then we're dropping it a decade ago.

But back to this specific decision. I'm certain the $500,000 we're getting from Kansas is significantly more than we were scheduled to get from UMass. But this trip is also going to cost us more and it's going to generate less income. We come out ahead dollar wise overall, but for a program that's always been about hemorrhaging money it seems like an odd decision to not let our fans watch their favorite team in an NFL stadium. And I'm sure Gillette is a much better chip than Memorial Stadium when it comes to recruiting.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Ill take a trip to Kansas over playing in front of 15000 at gillette
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Just read that UConn loses $20 million a year on Athletics.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/sport ... .html?_r=0
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sporting News and Lindy's both project URI to finish last in the CAA
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

spoiler alert?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Really going on out on a limb there
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Drop. The. Program.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This is an example of me practicing mod restraint! If this was my feifdom, I would ban anyone that suggests dropping football. From this board, from campus, from my life in general. I just find it such an offensive and cowardly position. If you're embarrassed by a bad football program, advocate for resources to improve it. Fans that hate on their own football program are a much bigger embarrassment than a bad football team.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:This is an example of me practicing mod restraint! If this was my feifdom, I would ban anyone that suggests dropping football. From this board, from campus, from my life in general. I just find it such an offensive and cowardly position. If you're embarrassed by a bad football program, advocate for resources to improve it. Fans that hate on their own football program are a much bigger embarrassment than a bad football team.
My issue with this reasoning is who comes to URI because of the football program? If someone wants to go to a school because of a football program then you can go literally anywhere outside of the northeast. Highschool and college football in the northeast is pretty much a joke except for a few teams. So why should I be forced into supporting an embarrassment of a program just because I came to URI?

Also the football team causes enough embarrassment for itself with their off the field incidents. They're play on the field only embarrasses them more.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You don't have to waive the pom poms. I don't. You just shouldn't undermine the program by arguing it should be shut down.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
TruePoint wrote:This is an example of me practicing mod restraint! If this was my feifdom, I would ban anyone that suggests dropping football. From this board, from campus, from my life in general. I just find it such an offensive and cowardly position. If you're embarrassed by a bad football program, advocate for resources to improve it. Fans that hate on their own football program are a much bigger embarrassment than a bad football team.
My issue with this reasoning is who comes to URI because of the football program? If someone wants to go to a school because of a football program then you can go literally anywhere outside of the northeast. Highschool and college football in the northeast is pretty much a joke except for a few teams. So why should I be forced into supporting an embarrassment of a program just because I came to URI?

Also the football team causes enough embarrassment for itself with their off the field incidents. They're play on the field only embarrasses them more.
What do you think you would gain by URI not having a football team?
Are you really embarrassed by the team?
Seriously how would your life change?

Then I will tell you how mine would change with no football team. Serious question.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

We are losing $500K on football per year, and we aren't putting anything into it (because we can't - we're losing so much money on it). Why sell a product, if no matter what you do, you lose money? It's insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

860_rhody wrote:
We are losing $500K on football per year, and we aren't putting anything into it (because we can't - we're losing so much money on it). Why sell a product, if no matter what you do, you lose money? It's insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

There is a thread devoted to this subject and article with posters debating this subject
Thor is solidly behind the Football Program for reasons he articulates in this article.
If you want football dropped its not going to happen under this ADs watch

http://ripr.org/post/after-disastrous-s ... -maybe-not
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they are serious about keeping football, DO SOMETHING about the atrocious facilities!

Keeping the status quo is not acceptable in my book.

Dooley has talked about lights and field turf, a couple years ago. Nothing's been done.

No visible plan in place. I won't venture onto those East stands again until they are replaced. I course I weigh just south of 300 lbs. Those boards bent even when I weighed a lot less!
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:
860_rhody wrote:

There is a thread devoted to this subject and article with posters debating this subject
Thor is solidly behind the Football Program for reasons he articulates in this article.
If you want football dropped its not going to happen under this ADs watch

http://ripr.org/post/after-disastrous-s ... -maybe-not
Thor might be solidly behind football but he makes no mention of improving facilities. I hope Thor realizes the Ryan Center is a big reason why we were able to turn the basketball program around. If we were still playing in Keaney gym I doubt we would have been able to get Hurley or any of the recruits Hurley is bringing in.

If there is no current plan to improve the football facilities and the administration is waiting for a big donation for a renovations then it could be a long time before the football team is any good.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

RR2 you need a day job.

I'm excited about the upcoming FOOTBALL Season.

RIP FOSTER!

GO RHODY!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Actually Brady1, I believe what I really need is a restraining order against you, you only seem to come out of the woodwork when I post about football.

The Kansas game looks to be on ESPN3 and the Villanova game will be carried by the American Sports Network.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote:September 3rd at Kansas
September 10th home- Albany
September 17th at Harvard
September 24th home - UNH
October 1st home - Brown
October 8th at Villanova