Men's Hockey Rams 2-0 vs. NCAA varsity teams

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Men's Hockey Rams 2-0 vs. NCAA varsity teams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Our URI Rams defeated NCAA D III Daniel Webster last night.

2-0 this season vs. NCAA varsity teams. IMHO elite ACHA hockey is generally superior to D III anyway so this result never surprises me. Augustine is deserving of a D 1 job continues to amaze me that he remains in Kingston awaiting his chance!

A bright spot in what so far has been a down season.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Re: Men's Hockey Rams 2-0 vs. NCAA varsity teams

Unread post by OBRAM »

Can you post a Results/Schedule, or a link?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

URI should absolute go div I and eventually be in Hockey East. It's embarrassing that the other five state universities in New England have div I hockey in Hockey East and URI does not. (I know UConn and UMass were recent additions). Thorr, get her done!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

OBRAM wrote:Can you post a Results/Schedule, or a link?
Best place to follow team is twitter feed....real time game updates.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I know this topic has been dead for a few weeks, but I just got back on the forum after a while and wanted to get the conversation going. Every year we have the debate of whether or not hockey should compete at the NCAA level. I do agree that we should try to put this in motion. However, those who think this will be a quick process and believe we will be in the Hockey East "in a couple years" IMO are wrong. Others know more then I do, but I don't think success in the ECHA/ESCHL translates to Division 1 success.
I decided to look around and check out UCONNS path to Division 1. They are our neighbor and a state university, so I wanted to see how they got there. Their hockey program began in 1960 in Division 3. They moved to Division 1 and joined what is now the Atlantic Hockey Association in 1998. After 14 years, they joined Hockey East in 2014. So after going Division 1, it took them 14 years to join the Hockey East! Now I don't know what the school was going through during this time, or if Hockey East wanted to expand etc. but this does not seem like an easy process.
Does anyone know of any schools in a situation similar to ours that went from club to elite level Division 1 overnight? I'm not saying they don't exist, but I would just like to see some examples. I'd love to read some responses. Thanks.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Recently Penn State and Arizona State - we need to wait to see how they do.

Current Ram ECHA opponent LVC is moving to D 3 next season.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

IMHO, hockey won't move up unless football is shitcanned.

Thorr has gone on record as saying there are no plans for hockey, but you never know.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UConn and UMass Hockey are not exactly doing great and really haven't for the most part since going D1.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Since we're D1, wouldn't we have to jump all the way to D1, if we were to move up?

That's why it's not likely we do, if ever.
0 x
bmwrhody2010
Jim Eitner

Unread post by bmwrhody2010 »

Actually they are 1-1-1. They beat and lost to Daniel Webster and beat SNHU. SNHU is not a true D3 team, and is not allowed to play in the D3 play-offs because they are a D2 school, which greatly affects their recruiting ability. Also, Daniel Webster is a brand new D3 team, and were a terrible club team before that. URI would get stomped by any of the top teams in the MASCAC, NESCAC, CCC, or NEHC conferences. Plymouth State, UNE, Trinity, and UMass-Boston would beat them by 4 or more goals.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

i heard an interesting tidbit yesterday about URI hockey from an employee at the school. One of the major reasons URI has not gone D1 is Coach Augustine. He is against the move. Some feel it is because he only has handful of years left, has all those wins vs losses, and doesn't want be part of the struggle. I asked why the university would allow a Club coach to dictate whether a program goes D1 or not and supposedly Augustine is one of the most respected coaches at the school. May or may not have any legs to it but hadn't heard those reasons before so wanted to share.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Title IX is the reason.....the only reason.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I went to the Beanpot this past Monday, for those that don't know, its a tournament including the top four hockey schools in Boston including BC, BU, Northeastern, and Harvard. Great games. It made me really want a college hockey team of my own to root for. I used to go to a few games at Boss, but the Boston hockey fans are so into the games with hockey jerseys, chants and the bands in the crowd. Quite the experience and highly recommended. I looked up at the Hockey East conference banner and thought, we belong on there. I really hope something is done because it's almost embarrassing to not have a real hockey team in the northeast.
0 x
GO RAMS
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Penn State is ranked 16th. the difference between them and us is they had Terry Pegula donate $100 million to fund the building. Not to mention they are already in the Big Ten so going up from club status was not difficult. We have no conference to play in and no one is giving that big a donation.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Surfri72 wrote:Penn State is ranked 16th. the difference between them and us is they had Terry Pegula donate $100 million to fund the building. Not to mention they are already in the Big Ten so going up from club status was not difficult. We have no conference to play in and no one is giving that big a donation.
Who says we need a new building? Boss fits 2500, that more than enough. PC, although obviously a nicer arena fits a little over 3000. We have the facility, its the woman sports rule holding us back. Also, I truly beleive if it was made apparent that URI was serious about a hockey program, that people would donate, alumni, former players, local public ect.
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

SNHU has accepted Atlantic hockey D1 bid.

Rams out.

Per NCAA Hockey for URI Twitter account
0 x