URI Athletics Priorities

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: URI Athletics Priorities

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Further, Coach Augustine and staff have been able to build an elite D1 ACHA program with zero assistance from the athletic dept. I firmly believe they can achieve elite ECAC status with the same approach and work ethic. Granted we will need to recruit some Canadian and European talent but I believe the bulk of our talent can be recruited locally. Augustine coaches a team game which is balanced and not dependent on 2/3 elite athletes.

It appears most here are being misled by a few into believing Boss is a dump, a 2nd rate high school rink. It is far from that! The locker rooms are the best and the facilities are world class. Our building is such a non issue it is laughable! There are some old dated dump rinks in the ECAC now, ours is top notch. The issue is the entry fee $$$ required for the 2 hockey programs.

Anyone suggesting dropping football and just adding men's hockey is being unfair. The women's and men's teams need to jump together. I would like to see the two teams work together to achieve the same goal. Maybe they do, I haven't seen evidence of it....

I challenge posters here to go check out our ice rink, I promise they will be impressed!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Re: URI Athletics Priorities

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

The reason I mentioned hockey was based on dollars. If you took the roughly $4.5 million from football, gave $2 million to basketball, it would put them on par with VCU and help them achieve similar success. I am assuming that $2.5 million would be enough to fund a quality hockey program, especially with a fertile recruiting base in New England.
0 x