URI loses to Stony Brook-Last Place in CAA Assured

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

URI loses to Stony Brook-Last Place in CAA Assured

Unread post by RF1 »

The URI administration got their deserved return on investment with football as last place in the CAA is assured with the home loss to Stony Brook (19-7).

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 1114pscu8b
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: URI loses to Stony Brook-Last Place in CAA Assured

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URI fans as well. As long as the booster organization continues to not do enough but threaten to take their ball and go home if the athletics department wants to move us to a more appropriate conference and regular fans continue to belly up to the bar no matter how poor the product there is simply no pressure or reason to invest more then we're already wasting. I know no one wanted to hear it, but the fans of the program are just as big a part of the problem as anything else surrounding the team.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

The fans are a part of the problem? what kind of bullshit are you spewing? Give the coach time to upgrade the talent and get some experience on the field.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Seeing as this coach is a joke, I'd rather not wait, I have better things to do with my time. Wake me up when football fans start caring half as much about winning as they do about tailgating and leaves. Maybe then the football program can finally move forward.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Turning this program around does not first start with the coach. IT STARTS WITH THE URI ADMINISTRATION MAKING A COMMITMENT AND FULLY SUPPORTING THE PROGRAM.

How can a coach recruit the necessary talent to a school that is not fully committed to the program as is the case at URI? How can a coach recruit when, because of the school's lack of support, there are always rumors and whispers of dropping the program? How does a coach recruit when you have the worst facilities in the league in which you compete? How does a coach recruit and run a competitive program when your operating budget is at or near the bottom of the league?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And why should the administration do that? If fans are going to keep going to games no matter how bad the product then it doesn't make financial sense for the athletic department to put more money into the program. FCS football is a money loser, UMass playoff teams lost more money the further they went. Spending more money, just so you can lose money with only a minimal attendance increase is just throwing good money after bad for a department that doesn't have enough resources already.

Any commitment with have to start with the fans. Make wins important, more important then tailgaiting and atmosphere. Demand wins and if they don't come stop going to games. Donate more money. Organize a political operation to get the state to fix Meade. Until fans do more the football program will continue to be an embarrassment to the university.

Fans don't want to admit this because it means looking in the mirror and taking responsibility, but fixing football starts with the fans.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Surfri72 wrote:The fans are a part of the problem? what kind of bullshit are you spewing? Give the coach time to upgrade the talent and get some experience on the field.
RR02 is a generally a good poster, but is not rational or reasonable when it comes to the topic of football for some reason.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Losing football is tolerated at URI and by most of the fans that go to the games.

Of course Dooley isn't happy but it is what it is. The culture of losing.

There is no support for the program like there is for men's basketball.

Like RR said, there is no way URI can make money on the sport. There is no incentive to pour more money into it. It's a black hole.

Do nothing, expect nothing, get nothing. That should be the motto for URI football.

To show the same commitment to football as basketball, URI will have to spend mucho millions on it, which they don't have. They won't do it, so, the beat goes on.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Seeing as this coach is a joke, I'd rather not wait, I have better things to do with my time. Wake me up when football fans start caring half as much about winning as they do about tailgating and leaves. Maybe then the football program can finally move forward.
Well, I was one of the few fans in attendance in the cold and the wind and all the leaves have already changed color and dropped.

Nice effort especially by the defense.
Wind was tough especially for the punters.
Run of the day was 43 yards for TD by Cooper but unfortunately called back for holding.
Worst play was blocked punt that went for TD
Team is improved from last year on defense and especially in the skilled positions. Need much more improvement.
Fans spoke Saturday with announced crowd 2600 but it was for sure not that high.
So fans have spoken.
I sat through the games just as always and just as I did every game of the 7 win Barren season.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Just an FYI, last place in the CAA is not assured. URI is 1-6 in the CAA, Delaware is 2-5. A Rhody win plus a Delaware loss this weekend puts the Rams ahead of Delaware in the standings due to the head-to-head tiebreaker.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Just an FYI, last place in the CAA is not assured. URI is 1-6 in the CAA, Delaware is 2-5. A Rhody win plus a Delaware loss this weekend puts the Rams ahead of Delaware in the standings due to the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Guess I was just being realistic. Doesn't matter. URI lost and Delaware won making that possibility moot.

CAA Football Standings Final 2015 Standings (first four teams listed made the FCS Playoffs)

JMU 6-2
Richmond 6-2
W&M 6-2
UNH 5-3
Towson 5-3
Villanova 5-3
Stony Brook 3-5
Delaware 3-5
Elon 3-5
Maine 3-5
Albany 2-6
URI 1-7