URI Football 2015

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Football 2015

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not a lot to hang your hat on tonight.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Calling Coach Kopp!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

This is an Administration problem. I think it started with the Eddy days as president, into the Carother's days, and especially with the NEC decision 5 years go. Other schools that did not have football or were DIII have past us by. StonyBrook, Albany, Bryant.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With the facilities the way they are, it's just not going to happen here.

It will take a herculean effort just to approach .500 with the talent they can recruit here.

Just sayin'....

Imo, URI will need to pump $20-$30 million into the facilities to even be competitive with the rest of the CAA. Not going to happen.....

If this season ends up anything like the last one, the school needs to seriously consider the future of the sport. How long will Fleming get?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

There is money to do it. There needs to have the will to do it. I was just on RIC campus, they rebuilt their parking lots, I bet that cost $5 million easy, for parking lots.
I know Bryant is private , but they have a will. No football program 20 years ago, and they have 3,287 students. URI has over 16,000 students. When will the Ryan Center bonds be paid for, which are being paid by student fees? This attitude has plagued URI football for 50 years. I think the East Stands were build in 1978, and money unfortunately had to be used to keep them from falling down. If The East Stands were a Bridge it would have been fixed, and that's just saying how bad shape they were in. The West Stands had to be rebuild because they took the old concrete down to build the Ryan Center, and I think most of the money for the new West Stands were private. Also, no outside track. I can't take the answer nothing can be done, not when most High Schools in RI have better football and outdoor track facilities.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Harvard wins 41-10. Just another Saturday for Rhody football.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm glad I decided against going to this one. That said, I'm not nearly as upset by this game or Syracuse as I am about Albany. To me Albany, Maine, Brown, Stony Brook, and Towson are the games that will indicate where we are as a program. Albany and Stony Brook are in their third year out of the NEC. Even if the NEC excuse people like to throw around is valid, and I don't believe it's nearly as big as people make it out to be, we should still be able to hang with those two schools. Maine and Brown are the only two losses last year that were one possession games. How have we grown in a year compared to two teams we were competitive with last year? And finally Towson was our only win last year, again how do we stack up against a team we were competitive with?

We failed our first test last week, but we're entering a critical stretch in my eyes. In a week we play at Maine and that one will be on TV. The week after we're at Brown in a night game for the Governor's Cup.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I feel bad for the URI football players and coaches. It must be so demoralizing to play for administrators that do not have the will to help them succeed. Bryant, with just a few years playing FCS football, won at Brown today. The Bulldogs are lucky that their administration gives them the support they need to win. Just look at what a small school that hasn't been playing football all that long can do.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You all know about the "doomsday clock" right?

Well, there should be one for URI football. I'd guess it should be about 5 minutes to midnight.....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As someone who is not an alumnus, it amazes me to see the rampant defeatism of URI's students, alumni, and administration. I have never seen such willingness to surrender and throw in the towel. Instead of finding solutions to fix the football issue, many would rather spend their time coming up with reasons why it can't succeed here. Never mind that it seems to do ok at much smaller RI schools such as Salve Regina, Bryant, and Brown. It doesn't matter that is succeeds at other local small state universities in ME and NH. The fact that football is played at all but two of the 50 US states flagship universities means nothing. This is RI. Things are different here. We don't deserve what others have.

Never have I seen so many advocate the cowardly route. It is quite sad.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:As someone who is not an alumnus, it amazes me to see the rampant defeatism of URI's students, alumni, and administration. I have never seen such willingness to surrender and throw in the towel. Instead of finding solutions to fix the football issue, many would rather spend their time coming up with reasons why it can't succeed here. Never mind that it seems to do ok at much smaller RI schools such as Salve Regina, Bryant, and Brown. It doesn't matter that is succeeds at other local small state universities in ME and NH. The fact that football is played at all but two of the 50 US states flagship universities means nothing. This is RI. Things are different here. We don't deserve what others have.

Well said
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, I have no problem with keeping football.

But NOT in the current state it's in.

The school seems unwilling or unable to provide the program with the necessary commitments to make it even reasonably competitive with it's local brethren.

They hired a staff on the cheap, and are HOPING they can win a few games with it.

They are doing NOTHING constructive toward improving the product.

Some here are happy just to have a program, and don't care if we are embarrassed every week by the likes of Monmouth and Albany.

Well, I DO care enough where I've had enough of the yearly 0 and 1 win seasons. Either spend the money to improve, or get rid of it.

Dooley has to make a decision, and he will. Things are not going to continue like this much longer.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Couple of comments about the game

1. Team did play hard, but the talent difference is great.
2. Cleanest uniform on the field was the Harvard quarterback. No one touched him the entire game or even threatened. It made our defensive backs, which are still learning, look that much worse. He had all day, heck he had all week. Did we blitz? Not sure.
3. Harold Cooper gave everything he had yesterday. Kept those legs moving. For a person that small his 100 yards was quite an accomplishment.
4. Some dropped passes, but that improved as the game went on.
5. Anyone who was there notice the field? A number of areas where there was no grass. Three yards and a pile of ? Can we assume no one was on that field except for a couple of scrimmages. What will it look like after game three or four? Granted there has been no rain, but I thought it was embarrassing.
6. Beautiful day in Kingston.
7. Had a chance to say hello to Rhody Jay. I think he is "slightly" more vocal inside the Ryan.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Neil,agreed. The field condition was horse bleep. The QB is twice as good as the one last year. Team is twice as good as last year. Meaning two wins. CBs are terrible.
Will comment more when get back home.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:RF1, I have no problem with keeping football.

But NOT in the current state it's in.

The school seems unwilling or unable to provide the program with the necessary commitments to make it even reasonably competitive with it's local brethren.

They hired a staff on the cheap, and are HOPING they can win a few games with it.

They are doing NOTHING constructive toward improving the product.

Some here are happy just to have a program, and don't care if we are embarrassed every week by the likes of Monmouth and Albany.

Well, I DO care enough where I've had enough of the yearly 0 and 1 win seasons. Either spend the money to improve, or get rid of it.

Dooley has to make a decision, and he will. Things are not going to continue like this much longer.
Not true at all. Completely disagree.
There is nobody on this board who simply want a program and don't care if we are embarrassed losing to any team.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:As someone who is not an alumnus, it amazes me to see the rampant defeatism of URI's students, alumni, and administration. I have never seen such willingness to surrender and throw in the towel. Instead of finding solutions to fix the football issue, many would rather spend their time coming up with reasons why it can't succeed here. Never mind that it seems to do ok at much smaller RI schools such as Salve Regina, Bryant, and Brown. It doesn't matter that is succeeds at other local small state universities in ME and NH. The fact that football is played at all but two of the 50 US states flagship universities means nothing. This is RI. Things are different here. We don't deserve what others have.

It's not up to the students and alumni to fix the situation. Its up to the administration. If you want to say these things about them then I have no argument with that, but as students and alumni we aren't being given much to have faith in at the moment.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:

It's not up to the students and alumni to fix the situation. Its up to the administration. If you want to say these things about them then I have no argument with that, but as students and alumni we aren't being given much to have faith in at the moment.

I disagree. Students and alumni should be pressuring the administration to improve the situation. Unfortunately these groups are rather apathetic concerning football and the administration feels it can get away with doing little to nothing.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I mean sure, you aren't wrong. But there is no guarantee that would be effective.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

neil wrote:Couple of comments about the game

1. Team did play hard, but the talent difference is great.
2. Cleanest uniform on the field was the Harvard quarterback. No one touched him the entire game or even threatened. It made our defensive backs, which are still learning, look that much worse. He had all day, heck he had all week. Did we blitz? Not sure.
3. Harold Cooper gave everything he had yesterday. Kept those legs moving. For a person that small his 100 yards was quite an accomplishment.
4. Some dropped passes, but that improved as the game went on.
5. Anyone who was there notice the field? A number of areas where there was no grass. Three yards and a pile of ? Can we assume no one was on that field except for a couple of scrimmages. What will it look like after game three or four? Granted there has been no rain, but I thought it was embarrassing.
6. Beautiful day in Kingston.
7. Had a chance to say hello to Rhody Jay. I think he is "slightly" more vocal inside the Ryan.
I agree with all that. I might add that we could really use some bigger guys on the O and D lines. I think Mroz has the potential to be a really good CAA QB but desperately needs some protection. It would also help Cooper with the run game. And to your point Neil, our guys could not pressure the Harvard QB. The size difference is crazy. I know it's not that easy to just go out and find some bigger guys but would be nice to get a couple.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

neil wrote: 7. Had a chance to say hello to Rhody Jay. I think he is "slightly" more vocal inside the Ryan.
Good to see you Neil! I'm for sure much more quiet at football games. My passion is and always will be college bball.

I think the guy with the #98 Simon jersey was loud enough for all of us. :lol:
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Went to Harvard game.
Some positives:
1. Coach Flem and coaches met with about 18 recruits,parents and football alums in new SADC.
Everyone was very impressed with talk and facilities. Some good looking prospects too.
I will get some names.
2. Locker room plaque fund raiser over $50K so far. In a month or two.
3. Good crowd-about 5K,looked like more.
4. QB is improvement,both WR's look good,TE as always and Cooper is really good. Add punter to mix.

The bad.
1.Field condition was an embarassment.
2. Offense and defense play-calling questionable and typical disorganization.
3. DB's are terrible. Harvard left wide open in blown coverages,when Rhody got back in game.
4. Script is consistent,play hard,do well,give up a couple of gimme big plays and looks like a blow out.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Yes, field was not in good shape and it was 1st game, has it been used for practice?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Obram,athletic staff said practice was reason.
Observers say B.S. (they have two fields in back).
My bet is the latter.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Poor play calling, that's on the coaching staff. Especially disorganized play.

Better talent in some areas is good, but if the coaching stinks, what's the difference?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I like the fact that our school plays football......I don't want to drop it......It has many benefits to the public persona of the University and to creating a sense of community......I would like us to be competitive in every game we play, however......

I wouldn't mind going 0-11 if we were within a touchdown of winning.....I don't like being beaten by 14+ points every time out....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Hal Kopp wrote:Obram,athletic staff said practice was reason.
My bet is the latter.
I would think the practice field is getting pretty beat up, maybe with lack of rain this year, and heavy use. by the end of the season the practice field is almost all dirt. Maybe the team can practice at NK high school?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OBRAM wrote:
Hal Kopp wrote:Obram,athletic staff said practice was reason.
My bet is the latter.
I would think the practice field is getting pretty beat up, maybe with lack of rain this year, and heavy use. by the end of the season the practice field is almost all dirt. Maybe the team can practice at NK high school?

Was at Lincoln High School last night. They now have a beautiful new artificial turf field.

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I believe it was $1.5 million to change the field over to turf and redo the track in Lincoln.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Middletown HS also has a new field turf surface which they're sharing with Salve Regina. Dunno how much it cost, but it's pristine.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I believe it was $1.5 million to change the field over to turf and redo the track in Lincoln.
Narragansett is also installing turf, with a synthetic track. The project is budgeted for around $3.2 million to $3.6 million - I think just the switch from grass to turf is "only" around $800,000. But with most of these projects, its the first time they're being worked on in years, so a good amount of the cost is bringing the rest of the project up to standard (installing lights, new ADA compliant bleachers, etc.).

Reviews on most of the facilities seem to be good. Middletown and East Greenwich both regularly host RIIL playoff events now. Injury rates are about the same, as turf has progressed a long way from the Astroturf days of "turf on top of concrete." You tend to get different kinds of injuries though - Less twisted ankles and torn hammies because the footing is usually better on turf, but more collision injuries as a result.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I like the fact that URI plays Football and all the stuff that comes from it...donors, on-campus Fall weekends for alumni, school sprit... etc. But would the real help to the athletic department & school come from dropping football, turning Meade into a top notch soccer, track and whatever stadium, which would be much easier and less expensive than a top notch CAA football venue. URI could just give Hurley all the rest of the money they would save by cutting the program. Maybe that would keep him here at URI for the foreseeable future. We all know even if they improve the football program it's still going to loss money even if they start winning; however a strong BB program with a coach like Hurley at the helm would give back year after year. Wish they could do both, but that's isn't happening.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150 wrote:I like the fact that URI plays Football and all the stuff that comes from it...donors, on-campus Fall weekends for alumni, school sprit... etc. But would the real help to the athletic department & school come from dropping football, turning Meade into a top notch soccer, track and whatever stadium, which would be much easier and less expensive than a top notch CAA football venue. URI could just give Hurley all the rest of the money they would save by cutting the program. Maybe that would keep him here at URI for the foreseeable future. We all know even if they improve the football program it's still going to loss money even if they start winning; however a strong BB program with a coach like Hurley at the helm would give back year after year. Wish they could do both, but that's isn't happening.
read previous articles on this and you will only "save" $500,000 per year dropping football. And Thor even said that money would go to other areas and Not basketball. My contention is that the $500,000 would not be a direct reduction because donations would drop is football dropped, I know that mine would. Not that it is large by any means but not everyone is anti football at URI even though by reading this board it seems the vast majority are for dropping it.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ramster-spot on!
Should it not be the states responsibility for the field to be in great condition?
What about an outdoor track??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:Ramster-spot on!
Should it not be the states responsibility for the field to be in great condition?
Assuming it is their responsibility, and I believe it is for the most part, what have you done to move it forward with your legislators? Do you have letters you've sent them that other people on the board can use with their legislators? What has the 5th Quarter Club done, if anything, to move this project forward? It certainly doesn't seem like their have been any real public advocacy efforts out of them. Why is that? Isn't that one of the main points of a booster organization?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:Not that it is large by any means but not everyone is anti football at URI even though by reading this board it seems the vast majority are for dropping it.
I think this is a common misconception that keeps getting repeated. I honestly don't think anybody is really FOR dropping it, or wants to truly see it dropped. But it gets to a point where if this is the product that keeps getting put out on the field every Saturday that it becomes embarrassing. So if they aren't going to fix it, or at least make an attempt, then maybe the only alternative is to drop it. But I would guess that is not the first choice of many, if any at all.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rhowdy Ram,good question.
I live in Florida,so do not have a rep. Let me ask one of the 5th Qtr. club members who is a RI resident.
Need to find one who lives in RI. A lot of the FB boosters live out of state? Voices are whether win (track and field) or lose (FB),the state will not contribute.
The condition of the field really set me over the top.
Trying to look at this objectively,what is reason state will not fund a new track and field facility?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote:
ramster wrote:Not that it is large by any means but not everyone is anti football at URI even though by reading this board it seems the vast majority are for dropping it.
I think this is a common misconception that keeps getting repeated. I honestly don't think anybody is really FOR dropping it, or wants to truly see it dropped. But it gets to a point where if this is the product that keeps getting put out on the field every Saturday that it becomes embarrassing. So if they aren't going to fix it, or at least make an attempt, then maybe the only alternative is to drop it. But I would guess that is not the first choice of many, if any at all.
Agree. I'm fine with keeping football if they have a plan for drastically improving the program's facilities, which I think are needed to compete at their current level. However, I also realize that plenty of people might not have the stomach for that. If that's the case, I'd prefer that the program just be cut, as opposed to doing some half-way maintenance program, or just cycling through another couple set of coaches.

One other thing that lurks in the back of my mind with yet another Frontline report on how horrible concussions are - I'm not positive that there will still -be- football in 20, 30, 40 years. I think it's still definitely more likely than not that football is around. But without some sort of technological advance that really improves the safety, I can envision a scenario where the sport's popularity starts to decay. That's part of the reason why I've suggested a multi-sport facility of some sort, since I'd prefer if it was designed for multiple uses to start as opposed to having them grafted on after.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Hal Kopp wrote:Ramster-spot on!
Assuming it is their responsibility, and I believe it is for the most part, what have you done to move it forward with your legislators? Do you have letters you've sent them that other people on the board can use with their legislators? What has the 5th Quarter Club done, if anything, to move this project forward? It certainly doesn't seem like their have been any real public advocacy efforts out of them. Why is that? Isn't that one of the main points of a booster organization?
You're from Rhode Island. You're URI supporters.
You're asking if it's the responsibility of the State to do something, to support the University with money -- for ANYTHING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Any improvements to the University during the last 35 years were done by the people of Rhode Island, by voting to approve bonds. The "Legislature" wants nothing to do with the school.
Wake up.
Any improvements for the Football Program -- new stadium, improvements to existing structures, fields, etc., -- has to be driven by its supporters in tandem with the President and AD. Privately funded. Period.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Maybe after 35 years it's time for URI Alums to put some pressure on their Legislatures to support their STATE U. The studies are everywhere support your STATE U positively impact your State.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4338124/cam-reddy

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5417072/tyler-pereira

Thanks Bressler,you are the umpteenth person to tell me that.
It flat out s#$%@! to hear recruits and their parents see the SADC,Ryan Ctr.Mackal,FB coaches and west stands and say wow,then see that dirt patch for a field. How do the HS facilities get built? Townies will vote for that? But,not the University? At one point,the track and field team was going to USCGA to practice! That would be like Barrington HS going to Tiverton for same. Anyways,here are links on a couple of prospects I saw last weekend.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

http://www.independentri.com/independen ... afc9a.html

Had no idea football had a female on staff as director of football ops. Good article.
0 x
Go Rhody
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

RAMS up 4 pts ! 1ST WIN? MAKE IT HAPPEN!

GO RHODY!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

AS a tribute to GRANDY let me talk to myself. YA RHODY TOUCHDOWN!

GO RHODY!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

ouch! grandy that was quick.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Harold Cooper is having a heck of a game.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

wide left OUCH!

GO RHODY!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

OUCH again. Maybe they can squeak a win somewhere. IS IT FRIDAY THE 13TH YET?

GO RHODY!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another loss.

Another 0 or 1 win season .

Competitive, but Brown is bad. They are showing some offense, but the defense is horrific....can they find some defensive backs?

When this team falls apart, they fall apart BIG......
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

This is rediculous.....I can't take it anymore
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Their DB's can't cover a fire hydrant. The turnovers are even worse...

Pathetic. The lack of talent is astounding.......especially on defense.....could they beat SK?

Now they can go back to getting creamed every weekend until Towson, and I doubt they even win that game.....

Either there is a massive infusion of talent by next season, or nothing will change....

With the state of the facilities, plus the rumors of the program ending, that's not very likely.

This program has 2 years to live, imo.....so sad.....
0 x