URI Football 2015

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Football 2015

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Doesn't it seem like URI is always down to their 3rd string QB's late in seasons? As if everything else isn't bad enough.

The team IS showing signs of being more competitive, I'll admit that much.

Is it their training and conditioning that's subpar, resulting in so many injuries? If so, that's on the staff. Or just the overall lack of talent in areas that expose the skill position players to injury?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
Bos8 wrote:Wasn't able to get there, how was the crowd? Listened on the radio, always tough when you have to go with your third string QB. Predictably he struggled, throwing 3 INTs.

That was about 100 less (6,228) than FBS UMass had at the 66,829 seat Gillette Stadium for their game on the same day.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm sure UMass is very jealous of what we have going on over here!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote:I'm sure UMass is very jealous of what we have going on over here!
I'm sure nobody is at all jealous of what we have going on, including BU Vermont northeastern and hofstra.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Whoever loses this week's game between us and Stony Brook will have the inside track for last place in the conference. Battle for the Toilet Bowl, URI football, catch the fever!!!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

There were 6K+ for Nova game. Be 4500 for SB?
Stout year for attendance (not surprised).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We're averaging 5281 so far on the season, we're already below last year's pace and we figure to fall even further back after this final home game. If I had to guess I'd say we struggle to reach 4000 for the Toilet Bowl.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

RR2 do you post anything besides URI Football sucks. You're the most predictable boring nitwit on the board. You need a life son.

GO RHODY!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm sorry that you're stupid and therefore are incapable of saying anything other then go Rhody. I'll keep being negative about the football program as long as they continue to embarrass the university that I'm proud of. If you can't handle that go back to your coloring books.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm sorry that you're stupid and therefore are incapable of saying anything other then go Rhody. I'll keep being negative about the football program as long as they continue to embarrass the university that I'm proud of. If you can't handle that go back to your coloring books.

It is the university which embarrasses itself by not fully supporting the football program with what it needs to succeed. You get what is put into things.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great post, RF1. Spot on.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm sorry that you're stupid and therefore are incapable of saying anything other then go Rhody. I'll keep being negative about the football program as long as they continue to embarrass the university that I'm proud of. If you can't handle that go back to your coloring books.

It is the university which embarrasses itself by not fully supporting the football program with what it needs to succeed. You get what is put into things.
And what about the criminal element Fleming has introduced? Is that the university's fault as well? That doesn't embarrass you? I'm certainly embarrassed by it. Trainor's teams lost a lot too, but at least they represented the university well off the field. You can't say the same for Fleming.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Family day was packed. Good crowd, its quite impressive for attendance seeing that weve had one winning season in the past 20 years. If we became DECENT, It would almost look like 1985 at meade. INVEST URI!
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Maybe fans actually are getting it. After hitting an average attendance of 5627 in 2013 we dropped to 5317 last season and dropped further this season to 4753. Keep in mind 2013 was so bad that we needed to fire Joe Trainor with one season left on his contract. That 2013 team seemed to give up at the end of the year, though the conference was better then and they also went 3-9, had two wins in conference and drew 874 fans per game more then the team this season.

Fans seem to be getting the message, is the administration? What are they finally going to do to cure the program? If they won't or can't cure it will they finally have the gumption to kill it? If there's no improvement next season will they get rid of Fleming?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fleming will be the last coach of this program if they are going to kill it.

He's been here for 2 years now. There's 2 years left on his contract I think.

Imo there are 2 more years to either improve, or end the misery.

Maybe only one. They need a lot more talent at many more positions to become respectable.

The fact that the staff is recruiting heavily in RI tells me all I need to know about how much talent there will be. Not a lot.....

Fixing the program on the cheap will not get it done. Why the administration doesn't get it......
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

How do you recruit to a school that is not fully committed to the program as is the case at URI? How do you recruit when, because of the school's lack of support, there are always rumors and whispers of dropping the program? How do you recruit when you have the worst facilities in the league in which you compete? How do you recruit and compete when your operating budget is at or near the bottom of the league?

Turning this program around does not first start with the coach. IT STARTS WITH THE URI ADMINISTRATION MAKING A COMMITMENT AND FULLY SUPPORTING THE PROGRAM.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Fleming will be the last coach of this program if they are going to kill it.

He's been here for 2 years now. There's 2 years left on his contract I think.

Imo there are 2 more years to either improve, or end the misery.

Maybe only one. They need a lot more talent at many more positions to become respectable.
Fleming signed a five-year deal with an option for a sixth pending a performance review after his debut season. I don't know the results of that review.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The talk that the coach is the problem is not borne out by the fact no coach has ever consistently won here since the mid 80's. URI has changed coaches several times since then but the result is always the same - more losses. It would seem it is not the coach. It is the consistent lack of commitment and support from the administration that has never changed and is the reason for failure.

I refuse to pile on the coaches and players. They are doing the best they can in a bad situation but they are completely over-matched.

Quotes:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

URI needs to step it up, we cant afford to lose football, a single game brings in more fans than every other sport excluding mens bball COMBINED. (with 1 or no wins mind you)
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Its funny, but I was watching the BU-PC hockey game on TV last Friday night and the announcer were saying how good the remake of Snieder Arena was, with hockey weight rooms, etc. Then they said, 'if you don't have the facilities, you are not going to attract the players that you need to compete'. Then I thought of URI football, and how the facilities are almost unchanged in the last 40 years, save for the new West Stands that were only put up with private donations and because the old West Stands were torn down to build the Ryan Center.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

With all the football fans of Rhody on this site I wonder why no one has mentioned anything about the game we had two days ago. It must be really important to keep a sport that no one bothers to comment about the actual games. Look back and you will see this has happened on this site after many games this season.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodywins wrote:With all the football fans of Rhody on this site I wonder why no one has mentioned anything about the game we had two days ago. It must be really important to keep a sport that no one bothers to comment about the actual games. Look back and you will see this has happened on this site after many games this season.

You could say the exact thing about every sport URI sponsors except for men's basketball. Do you think all these other sports that no one bothers to comment about should be dropped?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodywins wrote:With all the football fans of Rhody on this site I wonder why no one has mentioned anything about the game we had two days ago. It must be really important to keep a sport that no one bothers to comment about the actual games. Look back and you will see this has happened on this site after many games this season.
It is not polite to speak ill of the dead.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

What more is there really to add to this discussion at this point? Everyone's aware of the issues facing URI football and until those things change it really doesn't matter.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

2015 review
QB play-better (too many of them),all coming back including Vezzano Grade C-good enough to win 3 games
RB-Grade A Cooper great-rest stunk
OL-Grade C-should be better
WR-B
TE-C-only because Mckeenan under used-very talented bunch
Play-calling-F
DL-C
LB-C
CB-F
S-D
ST-B
confidence-F

Consensus is need another 15 players
They are young and talented.
should have won some of these games.
What the h*#% does Coach Fleming say at golf tourney this year?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Actually I did post this but it was on the Stony Brook thread

Well, I was one of the few fans in attendance in the cold and the wind and all the leaves have already changed color and dropped.

Nice effort especially by the defense.
Wind was tough especially for the punters.
Run of the day was 43 yards for TD by Cooper but unfortunately called back for holding.
Worst play was blocked punt that went for TD
Team is improved from last year on defense and especially in the skilled positions. Need much more improvement.
Fans spoke Saturday with announced crowd 2600 but it was for sure not that high.
So fans have spoken.
I sat through the games just as always and just as I did every game of the 7 win Barren season.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Harold Cooper

Unread post by OBRAM »

Does anyone know the extent of Harold Coopers injury?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unless it's really bad, no reason to think he won't be able to play next season.

That grade of F for play calling. Sometimes that's a product of the talent level available.

It just seems like bad play calling, because the players can't execute them.

Not that I'm really defending Fleming, it's hard to say exactly how good this staff could be if they brought in more talent.

Most people I've talked to about the coaching seem to think they are limited, but what can you expect?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rambone-here are major complaints re. play calling:
1. Running Cooper consistently b/w the guards and tackles.
2. Not getting McKeenan the ball enough or at all.

I have been watching 1AA FB a long time and as far as talent goes,those two are among the very best I have seen.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

http://caasports.com/documents/2015/11/ ... df?id=2665
Cooper and McKeenan were just named All CAA. Honestly,they are both probably deserving of higher honor designation.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 1124ianz3z

Seven players earn All CAA honors. Not bad for a 1-10 team! Hoping this will translate to better product on the field next year.

With my sons who eat sleep drink football and who play pop warner, we've been to URI, Bryant, Brown and a couple BC & UMass games and I have to say, despite me being bias bc I'm a Rhody alum, my kids prefer a URI game any day of the week. My oldest who's twelve said URI games feel more like big time college football than the others(minus BC of course). Imagine if they were good I tell him. Maybe thats all that matters to the admin is that kids like it. I don't know. I wish they would do whatever is needed to make it a top notch CAA/FCS program.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

HK, those 2 complaints are legit, but...

Cooper between the tackles: Maybe don't have the blocking to go outside, even with his talent.

McKeenan not getting thrown to enough: Again, need QB's that can get him the ball.

If the QB's don't have time to throw, even a great QB can't get it done.

Better talent at QB and on the line, then maybe the problems there are solved. If it's still an issue, then Fleming's an idiot......

Next season will tell the tale I think.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

GansettRam74 wrote:http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 1124ianz3z

Seven players earn All CAA honors. Not bad for a 1-10 team! Hoping this will translate to better product on the field next year.
The good news is we only lose two of the seven players, Tim Wienclaw and Myles Holmes. The bad news is, for all of the talk about Fleming upping the talent level in the program, five of the seven players appear to have been brought in by Trainor. Only Cooper and the departing Holmes are Fleming guys.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fleming doesn't have the budget to bring in the talent the program needs. Finding a player like Cooper is great, but they need many more like him at all positions, and that's not likely to happen....

Whether he can coach or not, and that's debatable at this point, his hands are tied....a lack of money and very substandard facilities takes care of that....

Recruiting in RI isn't going to get it done....
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

http://wpo.st/s1Mr0

This signee looks good?
0 x