Stony Brook Capital Projects

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Stony Brook Capital Projects

Unread post by OBRAM »

http://seawolvesunited.com/ways-to-give ... -projects/
I know Stony Brook is getting a lot of money from the State of NY. My point is, that facilities makes a difference in the recruits that you can get. URI does not even have a Plan.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Stony Brook Capital Projects

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Obram, URI does not a have a facility improvement plan, because they're aren't sure if there will be a need for one when it comes to football.

If the decision is made to keep football, then we might see a plan for future upgrades. I'm sure it would have to be a step by step process.

It's all up to the coaching staff. The team gets better, they start to win a few games, then I'm sure they will keep the sport. Then money will be spent.

Not until. Can you say pressure?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

rambone 78 wrote:Obram, URI does not a have a facility improvement plan, because they're aren't sure if there will be a need for one when it comes to football.

If the decision is made to keep football, then we might see a plan for future upgrades. I'm sure it would have to be a step by step process.

It's all up to the coaching staff. The team gets better, they start to win a few games, then I'm sure they will keep the sport. Then money will be spent.

Not until. Can you say pressure?
You have to say "Yes we are keeping football, look, we have a plan". That has been a problem since 1992 when Carothers 1st talked about dropping football. Opposing Coaches would talk to would be URI recruits and say 'Don't commit to URI, they are cutting football'
This is more of the same, 'win a few game, then keep the sport'? I 1st saw a plan to upgrade to Meade Stadium 13 years ago. You need a multipurpose stadium for soccer and football. Any sport needs support from the Administration to succeed. All you have to do is look at other schools and what they have done over the last 20 years.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Again, soccer shouldn't be included in the plans for a new stadium. Everyone wants field turf at Meade, soccer shouldn't be played on field turf, so if you had a field turf surface and forced them to play there you'd be destroying our soccer programs for no good reason when they already have fine facilities.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, yes the program is in limbo, and that makes it hard to sell to recruits.

The thing is, URI isn't going to spend a lot of money BEFORE the team gets better.

That's the way it should be done, but not at URI.

So, the program twists in the wind.......damned if it does, damned if it doesn't...

Without money from the state, I just don't see major improvements happening, sad to say.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

You can keep the current soccer field. Have a new stadium, that is soccer ready. If you have field turf, it could be used for Soccer tournament, Camps.

How much do Plans cost? You need to have goals to achieve goals.

Imagine I Bryant had that attitude. Bryant started with nothing, and now they are the best team in RI.
My take on all of this, year after year, that is it Political. No one in URI Admin wants to be seen spending money on URI football. I can understand that, Bryant can do whatever they want, they are not seen as a recipient of State Funds. However, URI does not even have a Plan, not does URI say "Let's put away $500K a year, create a Fund toward a goal of a Plan". How many more years exist on the Ryan Center Bonds being paid by Student Fee? After those are paid off, they maybe take a new bond out on a Stadium. I am just suggesting some idea, now URI had no ideas.
Last edited by OBRAM 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

OBRAM wrote:http://seawolvesunited.com/ways-to-give ... -projects/
I know Stony Brook is getting a lot of money from the State of NY. My point is, that facilities makes a difference in the recruits that you can get. URI does not even have a Plan.
I'm not sure why you continually post examples of schools using dedicated resources to build/improve football facilities. Like URI, these schools have big budgets but none have done what you continually say URI could easily do, administratively transfer funds from another expenditure line to football. I assume you're talking about either an academic program or operational expenses being the source, so it might be relevant to give an example of a university who has successfully built a football program this way.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

BFC wrote:
I'm not sure why you continually post examples of schools using dedicated resources to build/improve football facilities. Like URI, these schools have big budgets but none have done what you continually say URI could easily do, administratively transfer funds from another expenditure line to football. I assume you're talking about either an academic program or operational expenses being the source, so it might be relevant to give an example of a university who has successfully built a football program this way.
URI build the Ryan Center. Of the $54 million for the Ryan Center, $15 Million were private donations and $21 million were bonds being paid by the Students Fee. URI found a way to build the Ryan Center without academic program or operational expenses being the source.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI COULD figure out a way to get this done without state bonds...but will they?

They don't need $54 million either. They just need the will to do so....right now? Nope.

$15 million for a new East stands, another $5-10 million for lights, turf, practice facilities.

Imo, anyway.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

OBRAM wrote:
BFC wrote:
URI build the Ryan Center. Of the $54 million for the Ryan Center, $15 Million were private donations and $21 million were bonds being paid by the Students Fee. URI found a way to build the Ryan Center without academic program or operational expenses being the source.
Exactly dedicated revenue sources built and paid for the Ryan Center, not existing URI budget funds.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Same old story again - Other schools can do it. URI for some reason can't.

A crappy football team seems to be what URI administrators, students, and alumni DESERVE. You get what you put into things.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

All due respect, because I think most of your hearts are in the right place, but I'm kind of tired about hearing about every school's plans to build or improve their football facilities. Other schools have different situations, different priorities, and - in the case of every other state school school in the country - more support, more competence and a better understanding of the concept of investment in the legislatures that control the purse strings. If you want to make an impact in this regard, write to your state Senator or Rep. Because URI isn't raising $30M+ in private donations to fix their football program.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:All due respect, because I think most of your hearts are in the right place, but I'm kind of tired about hearing about every school's plans to build or improve their football facilities. Other schools have different situations, different priorities, and - in the case of every other state school school in the country - more support, more competence and a better understanding of the concept of investment in the legislatures that control the purse strings. If you want to make an impact in this regard, write to your state Senator or Rep. Because URI isn't raising $30M+ in private donations to fix their football program.
Not true. UNH gets crappy support from its state and it is currently renovating its stadium. Maine is also not a wealthy state and it has very nice modern football stadium (and one for baseball as well).

I for one think seeing what other schools are doing is very insightful. If you didn't see items such as this, it still wouldn't change the fact that URI comes up SMALL when it is compared to other regional schools in terms of athletics support. All it would do is allow you to be oblivious to this fact.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:If you want to make an impact in this regard, write to your state Senator or Rep. Because URI isn't raising $30M+ in private donations to fix their football program.
I think this is dead on. Why do other schools get better support from their states? Because the alumni and supporters of the university demand it. Because they let their legislators know in no uncertain terms that State U is a priority and if the candidate doesn't agree then good luck getting donations and votes. The 5th Quarter Club should absolutely be publicly pushing for a new stadium with a website that explains in detail to visitors why a new stadium/stadium renovation is so vital especially the unsafe condition of our current stands, has email lists and phone numbers for legislators and form emails interested parties could use. And before every football game they should be canvassing the parking lots with the website information and passing pamphlets out to people as they go in and as they leave.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RF1 wrote:Same old story again - Other schools can do it. URI for some reason can't.

A crappy football team seems to be what URI administrators, students, and alumni DESERVE. You get what you put into things.
This post followed mine so I'm assuming you're responding to me but I'm not sure since my posts said nothing about URI not being able to do it when other schools can. It was about how other schools do it and the flawed reasoning that has been thrown out there that URI can do it within its current budget.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Couldn't the school increase student fees $100 to subsidize some of the improvements - would raise $1.4million annually.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Do we really want to be raising fees when tuition and fees are already through the roof, students are leaving schools with record debt and are having a hard time paying off that debt? That doesn't seem fiscally responsible at all.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

OBRAM wrote:You can keep the current soccer field. Have a new stadium, that is soccer ready. If you have field turf, it could be used for Soccer tournament, Camps.

How much do Plans cost? You need to have goals to achieve goals.
See that makes sense to me, but that said, that's almost an automatic thing just because the field dimensions are so similar. You might need the field to be about 5 yards longer and it would need to be about 25 yards wider perhaps to have soccer, but that seems doable in any remake of Meade Stadium and would only cause a minimal amount of extra cost. As a matter of fact, the biggest part of the cost in that situation wouldn't be the field itself, it would be the necessary locker rooms. That said, if it was only for soccer tournaments and camps and things of that nature I'd imagine the rooms would be pretty spartan and not require a ton of money either.

As for cost, last week I estimated that a bare bones redo of the East stands based on the West stands cost per seat that would only keep us at the current seating capacity and wouldn't come with any concessions, rest rooms or things of that nature would cost about $9.5-10 million. Add another million or so to that total for field turf, add in whatever it would cost for lighting and so on.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Interesting fact, House Speaker Mattiello's son is a recent graduate of URI. And I think if you look at a lot of the legislator's biographies you'd see a surprising amount of ties to URI. That's something that could possibly by used if anyone decided to wage a real campaign for Meade.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

An additional 100/year is not going to add anything significant to the student debt situation -- you only have 3 options here, the state, the boosters or the students.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well I'll take two out of three and say the state and boosters need to pay up and leave the students out of this until at least the Ryan Center debt is paid off. Where are the boosters in all this???
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

providence college has an artificial surface for their soccer teams and the men went to the Final Four last year......I don't understand why it is bad for Rhody...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:Couldn't the school increase student fees $100 to subsidize some of the improvements - would raise $1.4million annually.
I realize the perspective is kind of skewed because we are on a sports board, but if they were going to raise tuition another $100, I imagine that the university administration would rather spend that sort of cash in other areas than a new stadium for the 1-AA football team. To go heel for a moment, I'd rather see better wages for adjunct professors, a hotel on campus or men's hockey being elevated to D-I with university funding before major renovations to Meade.

If, as TP says, there is a major push from boosters or money set aside by the legislature for that purpose, then fine. But I'm kind of lukewarm on football right now. Yeah, there has been a lot of institutional neglect that has caused the program to decay, but I'm not sure whether its worth the effort to try digging out of that hole now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You know what this all boils down to?

If you're going to have a CAA football program, do what it takes to have a respectable CAA football program, or don't do it AT ALL.

URI isn't doing that. Either do it, or lose it.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

State of NY looks all in at Albany,Buffalo and Stony brook?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

URI lacks strong alumni support. It seems to be a place that people go to, and are never heard from again. Alumni all seem glad they went...got a good education and had some fun, at a reasonable price, but they lack that sense of "pride" that you see at other schools. That lack of pride leads to apathy and a state legislature with little accountability, since no one cares. URI Basketball has the added pressure of being the best hope we have for creating school pride. Unfortunately all the great academic and research programs at the University don't seem to be enough.

Some of my relatives who went to BC, went last night to BC's annual Boston Pops Concert that they hold at Conte forum. They told me it raised over $7,000,000...in one night! Oh, and they drove up from RI to go...that school has proud alumni.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

The Soccer Complex added lights, grandstands, and turf approximately 10-12 years ago with most of the funding coming from one specific donor, Charlie Tapalian. It is a vast improvement from where the complex was, but still certainly in the bottom one third of the conference. While this was taking place, the state of Rhode island was funding the fields at RIC and their soccer complex is far better than ours. No coincidence that Frank Anzevino, chief of staff for the RI House and former administrator at RIC was instrumental is driving this project. RIC's athletic department is comprised mostly of local people with strong political ties while URI chooses to go in other directions. I would have hired Don Tencher (RIC's current AD) for the AD job instead of our current AD and Ken Hopkins to coach our men's baseball team. Two very capable individuals who also happen to be very well connected. It's time to start thinking out of the box instead of pretending to "Think Big".
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Cameron-good points. What I do not understand is Pres. Dooley wants the state to use the resources (students) at the school more,get the turf majors to make the field look good !! http://www.uriturf.org/degree.html

The turf majors could not make a 120 X say 70 field look great?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Cameron_Dollar wrote:The Soccer Complex added lights, grandstands, and turf approximately 10-12 years ago with most of the funding coming from one specific donor, Charlie Tapalian. It is a vast improvement from where the complex was, but still certainly in the bottom one third of the conference. While this was taking place, the state of Rhode island was funding the fields at RIC and their soccer complex is far better than ours. No coincidence that Frank Anzevino, chief of staff for the RI House and former administrator at RIC was instrumental is driving this project. RIC's athletic department is comprised mostly of local people with strong political ties while URI chooses to go in other directions. I would have hired Don Tencher (RIC's current AD) for the AD job instead of our current AD and Ken Hopkins to coach our men's baseball team. Two very capable individuals who also happen to be very well connected. It's time to start thinking out of the box instead of pretending to "Think Big".
I'm fine with URI deciding to go its own way, and to make their own hires, instead of connected people, even if it doesn't go perfectly time to time. And that being said, Thorr Bjorn and Raphael Cerrato have seemingly done a good job, at least IMO.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

URI has been getting a lot on the academic side with refurbishing basically every building and putting up some new ones(including dorms).

Throw in Dan Hurley, the new floor, the locker rooms and stuff. OH the training/workout facilities.

Could it be more? sure. I think they are going at a reasonable pace.

I bet they have a plan for more. There is always something happening.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Can't have it both ways or as someone much smarter than me once said "Everyone wants to go to Heaven but no one wants to die." In a state where one has to be connected to get a license plate, we are going in the other direction. Ok, I get it. Thorr made a couple of good coaching hires with Men's and Women's basketball. What else has he done to that comes to mind? I understand that we will never go back to the days of Mo Zarchen and Leo DiMaio, two men that were tremendously dialed in politically, but I sited two examples where we may have dropped the ball. Look at our rivals in Western Ma. They hired Billy Bulger, former Senate President and brother of you know who as their President. State schools need to be creative.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Can't have it both ways or as someone much smarter than me once said "Everyone wants to go to Heaven but no one wants to die." In a state where one has to be connected to get a license plate, we are going in the other direction. Ok, I get it. Thorr made a couple of good coaching hires with Men's and Women's basketball. What else has he done to that comes to mind? I understand that we will never go back to the days of Mo Zarchen and Leo DiMaio, two men that were tremendously dialed in politically, but I sited two examples where we may have dropped the ball. Look at our rivals in Western Ma. They hired Billy Bulger, former Senate President and brother of you know who as their President. State schools need to be creative.
"You can't fight political corruption and dealmaking, so honestly, you should just give in."

Quality is quality. If you have a quality product, and market it well, people will buy it. Like I said, I'm glad if they're using an independent hiring process and going with who they think the best person for the job is, even if they fail from time to time. Smart, sociable people will be able to create new networking opportunities and connect to established ones. There's an example of that happening in men's basketball right now, since when he was hired, people assumed Hurley was going to recruit heavily from his father's high school program, and he's mostly made new recruiting connections.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Cameron_Dollar wrote:The Soccer Complex added lights, grandstands, and turf approximately 10-12 years ago with most of the funding coming from one specific donor, Charlie Tapalian. It is a vast improvement from where the complex was, but still certainly in the bottom one third of the conference. While this was taking place, the state of Rhode island was funding the fields at RIC and their soccer complex is far better than ours. No coincidence that Frank Anzevino, chief of staff for the RI House and former administrator at RIC was instrumental is driving this project. RIC's athletic department is comprised mostly of local people with strong political ties while URI chooses to go in other directions. I would have hired Don Tencher (RIC's current AD) for the AD job instead of our current AD and Ken Hopkins to coach our men's baseball team. Two very capable individuals who also happen to be very well connected. It's time to start thinking out of the box instead of pretending to "Think Big".
I hate this idea. It's one thing to hide hacks in a division 3 athletic department, but URI hiring political cronies and people who are "RI through and through" who have no experience in division one athletics isn't thinking big, it's the kind of garbage that puts our state in terrible situations instead of moving forward. We hear the same crap when we try and hire coaches. We should hire coach x, because look at their high school program! They won the RIIL Division 2A title, that's the same as the Atlantic 10! Your idea isn't thinking outside the box, it's a recipe for disaster. And I find it hilarious that you cite Bulger at UMass. UMass hoped to benefit from having the connected Bulger in charge but because he had no clue how to run a university and was just in place as a political kickback UMass continued to be underfunded and didn't receive any benefit from his presence. Instead they just had a political fat cat collecting a paycheck and blocking the position from somebody who could benefit the university. Great plan!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I hate this idea. It's one thing to hide hacks in a division 3 athletic department, but URI hiring political cronies and people who are "RI through and through" who have no experience in division one athletics isn't thinking big, it's the kind of garbage that puts our state in terrible situations instead of moving forward. We hear the same crap when we try and hire coaches. We should hire coach x, because look at their high school program! They won the RIIL Division 2A title, that's the same as the Atlantic 10! Your idea isn't thinking outside the box, it's a recipe for disaster. And I find it hilarious that you cite Bulger at UMass. UMass hoped to benefit from having the connected Bulger in charge but because he had no clue how to run a university and was just in place as a political kickback UMass continued to be underfunded and didn't receive any benefit from his presence. Instead they just had a political fat cat collecting a paycheck and blocking the position from somebody who could benefit the university. Great plan!

Just saw Black MASS last night - great movie. I did not realize until the end of the movie that The Ex Senator had the UMASS Position.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355683/
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

http://buildingric.blog.ric.edu/

Building RIC

RIC is building more Labs. Now I think this is good, but was there a bond issue for this like was needed at URI?
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

OBRAM wrote:http://buildingric.blog.ric.edu/

Building RIC

RIC is building more Labs. Now I think this is good, but was there a bond issue for this like was needed at URI?
yes OBRAM, see right here http://www.ric.edu/news/details.php?News_ID=1911

the bond issue was in 2012
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Just saw Black MASS last night - great movie. I did not realize until the end of the movie that The Ex Senator had the UMASS Position.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355683/

Whitey's brother Billy Bulger, former MA State Senate President, has been long gone from UMass. Romney helped to force him out in 2003 after an 8 year stint as UMass President. His failure to cooperate with authorities trying to find his brother was a factor. Former US Rep Marty Meehan (the president of UMass-Lowell during its rapid growth 2007-15) is now President of the UMass system.
0 x