Week 2, 9/12 at Albany 3:30

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Week 2, 9/12 at Albany 3:30

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tomorrow's game will be televised on American Sports Network. In RI that's MeTV, WJAR 10.2. Channel 810 on Cox, 290 on Comcast and 460 on Verizon. The full TV listings can be found here:

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... rances.pdf
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Re: Week 2, 9/12 at Albany 3:30

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

0 x
Give me football or give me death
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Turned on the URI vs Albany game today and had to stop watching after 1 quarter. Its very clear and well documented how our football "program" has struggled for however many years. What baffles me is how the administration can continue to allow this embarrassment to continue. I do not for one second put any blame on our coaches or players, both are doing their best to win with what they have to work with, which is the problem. How URI can fancy themselves as a CAA program and expect to compete in recruiting with other CAA schools is at the point where you have to wonder how inept our administration is. Throwing away money year after year to get buried game after game make zero sense. We are literally bringing knifes to a gun fight. Again, no disrespect to our players, but we do not have CAA level talent by any means and why would any recruit come to URI to play football with so many other better options in New England alone. I was a fan of moving to the NEC so we can at least keep football and be somewhat competitive, since the NEC fell through what improvements have been made to our football facilities? What commitments have been made to the football program? I take the 2 hour drive from CT to see at least 1 game a season and I love college football and love URI even more, but this is has become a joke and likely the first year I will not be traveling to Kingston to take in a game in a long time.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

smh
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Another game by the Bad News Rams. This is an embarrassment....the team that crushed us today, was predicted to finish only one spot ahead of us! 6 TO's!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I hate to say I told you so....

The clock is ticking on this program........this is ridiculous.......

They look like a high school team against an NFL team......
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Fleming was soaking wet and discouraged
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When you are recruiting RI high schoolers the way he is, you know they are overmatched...

there is simply very little CAA level talent in this state.......but how many out of staters, after seeing our facilities, want to play here?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Six turnovers against a team just starting their third season out of the NEC? Absolutely disgusting! This is the type of team we should realistically be ahead of and we haven't even been competitive in our last seven quarters playing them.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR2, Albany has and is making major investments in their football program, including new facilities everywhere.

What is URI doing? Thorr saying we need to win?

With what? Thin air? Promises of nothing?

We need to join BU, Northeastern, and Vermont. As in football-less.

Either go big, or go home. Make the commitment, or end the charade.

Again, I would love to see URI have a winning football program. It's not going to happen, so.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If the program does ever become good (or even competitive), it won't happen overnight. I'm not going to say 'drop the program!' based on one game. But I'm really hoping for some signs of life soon. As if this team didn't have enough of an uphill battle, now they will have to forget about these two curb stompings to open the season and focus on what is ahead.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, this is Fleming's 2nd year. What signs of life?

Has the talent level improved from before his time here?

He says so. I say no.

There's very little talent from what I can see. How much longer has he got?

Another year? Two?

I say maybe two. Then, it's sayonara. One or two wins aren't going to save this leaky ship from sinking....

Of course, have they scheduled SK High?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Let's say his last recruiting class was good. They're two games into their careers, and football is the hardest sport for freshmen to contribute. I gave Hurley the same benefit of the doubt because you can't turn around a dumpster fire program over night. But even though Hurley's second team was still not great, they certainly showed they would eventually be competitive. I'd like to see URI football improve over the course of the year and be a team that will at least put up a fight and hopefully find a couple games they can win at home.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

They just don't make plays. Albany's first touch they fumble, we don't recover, then a thirteen play drive for a TD. Next play, They pooch the kickoff and nobody wants to catch it. First and ten with a short field. I would rather get beat going for balls and blitzing the crap out of them than letting them march down the field hitting wide open player after wide open player.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The problem is, they don't look prepared to play. Talent or no talent, that's on the coaches.

Is Fleming overmatched? If true, they really have no chance.

Great combination of bad coaching and bad players.

The perfect storm of suck.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It's obvious the problem goes way beyond the players and coaches, since we have had both new coaches and players over the last 20+ years with the same results...what's the constant...one of the worst football stadiums in the US, and never using all the allowed scholarships. Based on the fact that we don't even consider them part of the cost of the program, its even more astounding we don't provide the full allotment. The players and coaches have literally been put in a no win situation.

Changing coaches as we have in the past, is just treating the symptom and not the illness. I believe the only way to change things is by showing a big visible commitment, with a new stadium, and full allotment of scholarships...that will be the signal to the rest of the football community that we are serious about winning. We are so far behind our competitors now, that we will never have a 2-3 year playoff run that might get the ground swell for upgrades...even if the stars aligned for 2-3 years, I would say that that kind of success might even be worse; they will think everything is fine! If you can't get people to agree that we need upgrades after decades of sucking, then what will it take? I assume you will say they all agree, there is just no money...then we go back to all the intangibles even a crappy team brings to the university. If they are happy with those, imagine what a good team would do! Think BIG!
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Albany was I believe Div III, then in the NEC. Why do you not hear of talk at Albany, the program cost to much. Albany has invested in facilities, and in the program. It has Administrative support. Only URI do people complain of the cost. I know their Stadium I believe has state of city dollars, but it is the attitude they have vs. the attitude people on this board have.
URI is playing on Stands there were built in 1977, and we not good then. It would be sub par for RI high School football, never mind college. UNH is upgrading their stadium, URI just complains on the cost. URI with a $700 operating budget, a basketball facility that would cost over $100 million to build today, but when it comes to football , well it just too expensive. There are so many school that would pay to be in the CAA, and we are their and fail to take advantageous of that.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Not sure how it got to this point. We were actually competitive not too long ago. Makes NO sense.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The tease with NEC was obviously (to me) something that made the situation worse than it would naturally have have been. Such a major disruption in recruiting and talent base resulted in horrific seasons and a deep hole from which to recover, all across the board.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Let's say his last recruiting class was good. They're two games into their careers, and football is the hardest sport for freshmen to contribute. I gave Hurley the same benefit of the doubt because you can't turn around a dumpster fire program over night. But even though Hurley's second team was still not great, they certainly showed they would eventually be competitive. I'd like to see URI football improve over the course of the year and be a team that will at least put up a fight and hopefully find a couple games they can win at home.
What if they're not good? Unfortunately I've never found any really good place for FCS level recruiting analysis, but is there any reason to think we've done a better job of recruiting the last few years than anyone else in our conference?

And I hate trying to draw a comparison between Fleming and Hurley. Yes, they both took over dumpster fires at URI. Hurley is young, even before coming here was nationally recognized as an up and comer in the coaching ranks, and had turned around Wagner in two seasons. Fleming is a career mediocrity, at best, and even at his advanced age had never been the head coach of a scholarship football team before last season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:The problem is, they don't look prepared to play. Talent or no talent, that's on the coaches.

Is Fleming overmatched? If true, they really have no chance.
Not only that, how many times since the beginning of last season has the team imploded and given up a ton of unanswered points? Last year against Fordham, 30 unanswered points in the third quarter. Last year up by two touchdowns against Albany they proceed to give up at least 30 unanswered to a team in their second year out of the NEC, game over. At Central Connecticut, an NEC team, 28 points in the fourth quarter. Villanova scores the first 44 points of the game before URI scores a few garbage touchdowns in the last half of the fourth quarter. Richmond beats us 37-0. UNH blew us out. Tied with Stony Brook, a team in their second year out of the NEC, at the half we give up 21 unanswered in the second half to lose. And this year again against Albany, now in their third year out of the NEC, we give up 28 before getting a garbage touchdown late in the fourth.

Yes, the talent is an obviously huge issue, and there's only so much you can do when faced with a talent deficiency. But this coaching staff seems completely unable to draw up a game plan that would allow our games to at least be competitive and when games start to get even a little bit sideways this coaching staff is completely unable to put even a little bit of water on the fire. We had at least two quarters last year where we gave up at least 4 touchdowns. Think about that for a minute. And the game against Albany shows we're really no better this season then last.

I was never a fan of the Fleming hire. A lot of people on here wanted to point to his two seasons at Central Florida where their D was good, but there was evidence that he was just the beneficiary of stepping into George O'Leary's system that was already in place. When you looked at his career, especially his six years as defensive coordinator at Akron, you saw a coach that was mediocre at best. His only two seasons as a head coach came at Sacred Heart when the NEC wasn't a scholarship conference. There was zero reason to think he could turn things around, and so far his tenure is worse then I imagined. Again, I didn't expect wins, but he is completely unable to even keep these games competitive.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:The tease with NEC was obviously (to me) something that made the situation worse than it would naturally have have been. Such a major disruption in recruiting and talent base resulted in horrific seasons and a deep hole from which to recover, all across the board.
The talked about move to the NEC has always been overblown by people. They announced two days after the 2010 season that they were moving to the NEC. In the four plus seasons since they've gone 7-41. But the four seasons before the announcement they went 12-33. Better, but let's not act like there's been some massive decline. They went from being shitty to really shitty, big deal. They had nine straight losing seasons before they announced the move to the NEC, which is tied with our previous record for consecutive losing seasons in the program's history, which is why the plan was put in place. We haven't been competitive in a long time now.

Further proof of how much the NEC move has been overblown is just looking at games against teams just out of the conference or teams still in the NEC. Albany has beaten us by a combined score of 72-27 in their second and third seasons out of the NEC. Central Connecticut blew us out last year 38-14 behind 28 fourth quarter points and they were middle of the pack in the NEC. Stony Brook beat us 35-14 in their second year out of the conference. How is it that a talked about move to the NEC has crippled us for years to come, but Albany and Stony Brook were able to ramp up from the NEC scholarship limits ok? How was the talked about move responsible for us getting beaten up in the fourth quarter by a middle of the pack NEC team?

This program was dead before they announced the potential move to the NEC. If anything, we should have followed through with the move and competed at a level more in line with our level of commitment to football.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, we'd be a bottom feeder in the NEC, believe me.

As for Fleming, he was a cheap hire. He makes less than a lot of ASSISTANT coaches do, even at their level.

You get what you pay for. And we're getting it.

There is no monetary commitment to football at URI. In football, you have to spend money to be competitive. That's not even counting the facilities, which aren't even NEC level nowadays.

Thorr is going around telling people we have to win. He's hoping to win, nothing more. He's hoping Fleming turns out to be some kind of miracle worker, which he clearly isn't.

At least in basketball URI has put their money where their mouth is, or else Hurley would have been gone by now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Let's say his last recruiting class was good. They're two games into their careers, and football is the hardest sport for freshmen to contribute. I gave Hurley the same benefit of the doubt because you can't turn around a dumpster fire program over night. But even though Hurley's second team was still not great, they certainly showed they would eventually be competitive. I'd like to see URI football improve over the course of the year and be a team that will at least put up a fight and hopefully find a couple games they can win at home.
What if they're not good? Unfortunately I've never found any really good place for FCS level recruiting analysis, but is there any reason to think we've done a better job of recruiting the last few years than anyone else in our conference?

And I hate trying to draw a comparison between Fleming and Hurley. Yes, they both took over dumpster fires at URI. Hurley is young, even before coming here was nationally recognized as an up and comer in the coaching ranks, and had turned around Wagner in two seasons. Fleming is a career mediocrity, at best, and even at his advanced age had never been the head coach of a scholarship football team before last season.
Yeah, I'm not arguing that the recruiting classes have been good or that Fleming is the Dan Hurley of football. All I'm saying is that we don't really know much more about where Fleming would have this program in, say, five years based on the first two games of this season. What will tell me a little about the job Fleming is doing and the caliber of players he has brought in is whether the team plays more competitive football as the year goes on. If we are fighting and giving teams a hard time, even if we don't win four or five games, I could see being more optimistic about the medium-term prospects for the program.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree TP, but I'm not expecting it.

It would be hard NOT to at least improve a little, you think?

If they don't even do that, even you would have to admit that things aren't looking good for the future of this program?

There's NO way they keep football if they continue with 0-11 or 1-10 seasons the next couple of years....

Dooley will pull the plug, I'm certain of it.......he might just be waiting for attendance to finally fall off...and it will at this rate.....

Maybe URI can have a club team :shock:
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

More specifically about Saturday. We had 300 yards of total offense with one touchdown. Obviously the turnovers were the main culprit. Over the summer the news was that many stayed on campus and worked on conditioning. They might have been physical on Saturday but the mental mistakes were plentiful. We finally get a drive going in the second quarter, finally in Dane territory, when on a third down play our quarterback takes a huge loss rather than throwing it out of bounds. Granted it is his second varsity game, and I do think he will improve, but there was a turning point, and for the last "hundred" games we don't know how to finish. How many passes were dropped?
I started going to ram football in the early 60's and being a proud season ticket holder since 1975. Sadly, I go in with little or no expectation, unlike basketball. But it's still my school's team and I still scream just as loud as if I was in the Ryan. I will be there Saturday hoping that after 60 minutes of football my team will shake hands at midfield and then race over to the band to sing the fight song. Keep the team. (I'm not sure why)
0 x