Rhody Football costs the university about $500,000

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody Football costs the university about $500,000

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote:Only at URI can putting lights at a field be made to sound like a feat on par with building the pyramids. The park where I played little league found a way to put lights up at 4 fields in like a week.
There are a few reasons for that.

1. It costs significantly more to properly light a college football stadium so games can be televised.

2. Not only does it cost more, but you also get less use out of it. Chances are your town uses the little League lights more in a week or two then we'd use ours in a year.

3. Knowing that the east side needs to be redone and not knowing what if anything will be done to the end zones, it doesn't make sense to put up lights until you know what the stadium's long term footprint will be.

4. There's no need for lights right now or in the immediate future.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I think practice field is most important item to fix, I think they are doing that, but I think grass is going in. It needs fieldturf, it get such heavy use.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Only at URI can putting lights at a field be made to sound like a feat on par with building the pyramids. The park where I played little league found a way to put lights up at 4 fields in like a week.
There are a few reasons for that.

1. It costs significantly more to properly light a college football stadium so games can be televised.

2. Not only does it cost more, but you also get less use out of it. Chances are your town uses the little League lights more in a week or two then we'd use ours in a year.

3. Knowing that the east side needs to be redone and not knowing what if anything will be done to the end zones, it doesn't make sense to put up lights until you know what the stadium's long term footprint will be.

4. There's no need for lights right now or in the immediate future.
This is exactly the kind of stuff I am talking about though. If it's just a money issue, that's fine, but let's not make it out to sound like they are taking on some great challenge to find a way to put in lights at a football field.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Synthetic football field is another $600,000. But would be awesome. We need another donation. The baseball field turf was a donation correct?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes. In 2007, a $1 million donation to the baseball program led to $1.4 million renovations on Bill Beck Field. Completed in time for the 2009 season, a new backstop, scoreboard, fencing, and bullpens were constructed. Also, a new FieldTurf surface was installed.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How about this University of New Hampshire Football Fan?

http://www.people.com/article/librarian ... _peoplemag
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI wants to have a competitive football program [meaning winning at least a few games per season?]

Pay to play. That sums it up perfectly.

Hire a proven staff, PAY them accordingly, and start improving the facilities SOON.

Commitment. What was done for BB, has to be done for football.

Or just stop the madness.......SOON.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

My question is, if the $500,000 is taken from football and invested into other athletic programs at URI, will we even notice? And would that really make up for the lack of football? In my opinion, of course not, I say pay accordingly as well. It's worth it 1000%, again, in my opinion.
0 x
GO RAMS
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Rhodymob05 wrote:My question is, if the $500,000 is taken from football and invested into other athletic programs at URI, will we even notice? And would that really make up for the lack of football? In my opinion, of course not, I say pay accordingly as well. It's worth it 1000%, again, in my opinion.
My understanding is that it has been said that if football was ever dropped, then that $500k would not be invested into the other sports at URI.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Except that when we dropping down to the NEC the extra scholarships were being reallocated to other sports, so it seems like our AD is just saying whatever suits his plan best at the moment and not what the reality of the situation is.

Dropping to the NEC in 2010: we're moving football to a level we'd be more competitive in and making improvements in our other sports, so this is a great thing for our athletic department.

Doesn't want to axe football in 2015: all that money would disappear from the athletic department, so there's no reason to drop football, it won't help any other sports

Maybe something changed in five years, but it sure seems like he was lying to us either then or now and is hoping no one would remember what he said five years ago.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

The $500,000 figure is a joke. The starting amount should be $2,400,000+ (60 athletes x 40,000- out of state tuition, room and board.) All 60 that stayed for summer school must have lived in the woods and not ate because nothing was added to the cost. The seats could have been filled by paying students.
Using the NEC decision as anything to do with our performance is a joke. We have full scholarship and would have had it since the NEC plan was dropped. Albany was down a division four years ago with less scholarships and they have improved.
Drop down (best choice)or end it. Keep the games on a lower level and we can still go to the game but maybe come away happy.
Just think if we had that one extra baseball pitcher last year instead of the last scholarship football player.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The status quo is a joke. Thorr knows it too, but he'll never admit it.

He tried to put lipstick on a pig by hiring a staff who would work for peanuts compared to what other CAA schools are paying their staffs, hoping against hope that they would make us at least competitive.

So we have new grass fields. So what? In no time they will look like the old grass fields, like crap.

Band aid fixes. Except they aren't fixing anything. Fleming's not the answer, sorry Bjorn.

Either commit or quit. If they have a long term plan, I'd like to see it. My guess is, they don't.

Maybe they are expecting some huge windfall from our BB program in the near future. As we know, that's not a guarantee of anything.

The FB program is an ongoing embarrassment to the university. Dooley of all people has to know this, since he's very driven to improve the school's image overall. I'm actually surprised that he's allowed this shit show to continue as long as he has....
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

If we were trying to compete against Alabama, or big FBS schools I would say no way. But we are trying to compete
with Maine, UNH, Albany , Stony Brook, Delaware, not to mention Privates like Bryant, Fordham. These school can do it, so we should be able to do it.
It is the commitment. The only sport we have commitment in is Men's basketball, and the Student Athletic Tax is paying most of the Ryan Center cost.
A school with 16,000 students as URI is should be able to do much better.

It has been 12 years since I saw the plans to fix over Meade Stadium. However, I would like to see a football stadium not built next to a White Horn Creek that can flood, or a space that is jammed in between Ryan Center and White Horn Creek.

Most of the 'Drop Football' people on this board was to use the money for something else in Athletic Dept. They are not really saying we can't afford it.

When we brought in new coaches , Keith,Stower,Rizzi, Trainer, the cupboard was not bare, when Fleming came in, the cupboard was bare from the drop to NEC move. It is a lot harder to build a football program from where we were two years ago, than a basketball program that Jim Barron took over.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Student fees are paying a third of the Ryan Center. One third from students, one third from private donors, one third from the state.

The cost to refurbish Meade Stadium is 20-30 million. If you change where the stadium is you're probably looking at significantly more than that because you'd have to prepare a new site, build the stadium including amenities built into the Ryan Center, and possibly create extra roadways, parking and replacing whatever was in the place where the stadium was to be built. If refurbishing Meade wasn't able to be done monetarily since the drawing came out after the 2001 season, what makes you think an entirely new site would be feasible?

Again with the garbage NEC excuse people want to use to explain football's problems. There is zero proof it's harmed the program and there's plenty of evidence to show it had no impact.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I'm curious as to why I've seen a few people say "Fleming is not the answer". I'll admit I'm not as close to the program as some of you. I will typically watch/listen to most games, and attend a few when I can...

The biggest thing I notice is he has less talent then the teams we are playing. It seems that we have addressed that. He did make a positive impact on the recruiting trail, even coaches who I know that sent kids to FBS schools were impressed by his pitch. (Word is he told kids he wasn't going anywhere- meaning URI isn't a springboard job for him like other FCS coaches) He seems like a no-nonsense type of old school coach. Seems to be a grinder and a football lifer. Obvious the talent still isn't quite there, but it seems to be upgrading as evident by the number of true freshman that are playing. Is there something that really sticks out program development wise that they aren't doing?

To keep things in prospective- we have 7 seniors. And of those 7 seniors, only 2 started last game- Parker and Gilbert. And of those 7 seniors, only 3 have been here their whole college career- Hartman, Gilbert and Parker. The others are transfers from 4 year schools or Jucos. Think about that, only 3 Four Year Seniors. The group of current seniors are the guys that would have committed to us when the NEC jump was going on.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I was told Ryan Center was funded this way.
$15 million private Donations
$18 Million State Contribution.
$21 Bond paying off with Student Athletic fee
How many years are left on that Bond?

NEC definitely hurt the program. I have heard a former coach say this to me, a very well respected former coach.
I heard Fleming speak , he was fantastic. He had a bunch of people in the crowd ready to suit up.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't think anyone would argue that the NEC move hurt the program, but I think that excuse is all used up and no longer applies at this point. The Albany example that was given earlier is proof of that in my opinion.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Student fees are paying a third of the Ryan Center. One third from students, one third from private donors, one third from the state.

The cost to refurbish Meade Stadium is 20-30 million. If you change where the stadium is you're probably looking at significantly more than that because you'd have to prepare a new site, build the stadium including amenities built into the Ryan Center, and possibly create extra roadways, parking and replacing whatever was in the place where the stadium was to be built. If refurbishing Meade wasn't able to be done monetarily since the drawing came out after the 2001 season, what makes you think an entirely new site would be feasible?

Again with the garbage NEC excuse people want to use to explain football's problems. There is zero proof it's harmed the program and there's plenty of evidence to show it had no impact.
Please provide evidence to show the NEC had zero impact. Not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement just would like to view your rational.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

adam914 wrote:I don't think anyone would argue that the NEC move hurt the program, but I think that excuse is all used up and no longer applies at this point. The Albany example that was given earlier is proof of that in my opinion.
But you are wrong with the Albany example. The 13 seniors on Albany's roster 4/5 years ago where committing to a program that was committing to success. They were CAA+ level players. The TWO seniors still on our roster that committed 4/5 years ago where committing to a program that were not committing to success. They were NEC level players at the time. How is that an apt comparison?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Announcement to stay in CAA made just prior to school starting in 2012. That would have had some effect on the recruiting freshmen class of 2013. SOPHs 2014, Jr's 2015 and sr's 2016. So the Class of 2017 should have been fully recruited under the CAA decision, right?

Rhode Island decides to stay with CAA football
Published: August 27, 2012, 5:00 PM
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Rhode Island has decided to remain a member of the CAA’s football conference.
Rhode Island athletic director Thorr Bjorn says the move “makes the most sense” logistically after southern schools Old Dominion and Georgia State announced plans to leave the league after this season, while northeastern schools Albany and Stony Brook announced they are joining.
The Rams had planned to downgrade football and move to the Northeastern Conference after this season.
CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager says he’s thrilled that URI accepted his invitation to reconsider. He says the Rams expand the opportunities for rivalries to develop in the northeast.
Rhode Island is a charter member of CAA football, which started in 1946 as the Yankee Conference. The Rams’ return will give CAA football 11 teams in 2013.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bos8 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I don't think anyone would argue that the NEC move hurt the program, but I think that excuse is all used up and no longer applies at this point. The Albany example that was given earlier is proof of that in my opinion.
But you are wrong with the Albany example. The 13 seniors on Albany's roster 4/5 years ago where committing to a program that was committing to success. They were CAA+ level players. The TWO seniors still on our roster that committed 4/5 years ago where committing to a program that were not committing to success. They were NEC level players at the time. How is that an apt comparison?
Alright, that's fine. I guess I don't know much about the Albany recruiting class from 4 years ago. But I'm still not willing to concede that all that adds up to getting beat by 28 by them (as the second worst team in the conference) at home. It's just too easy at this point to fall back on the NEC excuse when we are far enough removed from that where some headway should have been made by now. It has not, we are still a pathetic excuse for a football team.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The NEC excuse is legitimate if you want to say their ceiling used to be 3-5 wins a year and now we're lucky to get 2.

This program sucked before the NEC decision and it will continue to suck until they either build a real college stadium or shut the program down.

This program will NEVER succeed with its current facilities. The NEC nonsense is a distraction from the reality that our stadium is an abomination.

URI can hire whoever the hell they want and drop to any conference they want, it doesn't matter.

Until a stadium is built everything else is irrelevant.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think you represent the opinion of most of the posters here.
Football sucks
Stadium sucks
Don't dare mention the NEC in any statements
Drop the program
And repeat after every loss
Got it
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote:I think you represent the opinion of most of the posters here.
Football sucks
Stadium sucks
Drop the program
Got it
The team does suck and so does the stadium, these are indisputable facts. Even you with your inability to ever be objective about anything Rhody would have to admit this.

I'm fine with the NEC excuse but lets not act like this team would be anything more than a 4-5 win team max if the NEC move never happened.

I'm a Rhody fan and alum, I don't want to see the program dropped. That said, URI is approaching a crossroads with this program. Either make the financial commitments needed to have and sustain a college football team in 2016 or shut it down.

This program has had something like 3 winning seasons in the last 30 years and you think its the NEC move holding them back?

And yeah, until URI either builds a stadium or shuts the program down the posts will remain the same because the problems remain the same.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

A homecoming, parents day, autumn season, and football season in all would be really sad without URI football. Seriously. Homecoming with all the alumni tents in front of Keaney, music, games, food, it's a great time. The Band marching (who are really good) down from upper college road to the fans and into meade playing the fight song and then again at halftime. Sitting in the stands overlooking the fall foliage and the ryan center on a crisp day with the beautiful Rhody colors painted on the field. The cannons going off after the rams score, all the fans tailgating near keaney and in plains parking lot. Discussions between fans of URI football from earlier times. URI would have a huge hole in it without football. It's not just a sport, it's an event, a tradition, and a huge marketing tool, good seasons or bad, the games bring in thousands of fans and students. More than every other sport combined minus mens bball with less than 10 home games per season. I never want to see it go. That would be awful for the school and fans and just plain sad.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:A homecoming, parents day, autumn season, and football season in all would be really sad without URI football. Seriously. Homecoming with all the alumni tents in front of Keaney, music, games, food, it's a great time. The Band marching (who are really good) down from upper college road to the fans and into meade playing the fight song and then again at halftime. Sitting in the stands overlooking the fall foliage and the ryan center on a crisp day with the beautiful Rhody colors painted on the field. The cannons going off after the rams score, all the fans tailgating near keaney and in plains parking lot. Discussions between fans of URI football from earlier times. URI would have a huge hole in it without football. It's not just a sport, it's an event, a tradition, and a huge marketing tool, good seasons or bad, the games bring in thousands of fans and students. More than every other sport combined minus mens bball with less than 10 home games per season. I never want to see it go. That would be awful for the school and fans and just plain sad.
Why not just have like a fall carnival or something then? What's the difference? The one glaring thing missing from your romantic description of the event is the actual football.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote:
ramster wrote:I think you represent the opinion of most of the posters here.
Football sucks
Stadium sucks
Drop the program
Got it
The team does suck and so does the stadium, these are indisputable facts. Even you with your inability to ever be objective about anything Rhody would have to admit this.

I'm fine with the NEC excuse but lets not act like this team would be anything more than a 4-5 win team max if the NEC move never happened.

I'm a Rhody fan and alum, I don't want to see the program dropped. That said, URI is approaching a crossroads with this program. Either make the financial commitments needed to have and sustain a college football team in 2016 or shut it down.

This program has had something like 3 winning seasons in the last 30 years and you think its the NEC move holding them back?

And yeah, until URI either builds a stadium or shuts the program down the posts will remain the same because the problems remain the same.
Agree the team has plenty of room to improve
Agree that the Stands need to be replaced
Agree that the Football stadium could and should be improved
Disagree with those who have already determined Fleming is not the answer
Disagree that URI should drop the football team
Strongly disagree that a carnival could take the place of fall football games
Disagree that URI would overall be better off without Football
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:A homecoming, parents day, autumn season, and football season in all would be really sad without URI football. Seriously. Homecoming with all the alumni tents in front of Keaney, music, games, food, it's a great time. The Band marching (who are really good) down from upper college road to the fans and into meade playing the fight song and then again at halftime. Sitting in the stands overlooking the fall foliage and the ryan center on a crisp day with the beautiful Rhody colors painted on the field. The cannons going off after the rams score, all the fans tailgating near keaney and in plains parking lot. Discussions between fans of URI football from earlier times. URI would have a huge hole in it without football. It's not just a sport, it's an event, a tradition, and a huge marketing tool, good seasons or bad, the games bring in thousands of fans and students. More than every other sport combined minus mens bball with less than 10 home games per season. I never want to see it go. That would be awful for the school and fans and just plain sad.
Why not just have like a fall carnival or something then? What's the difference? The one glaring thing missing from your romantic description of the event is the actual football.
Because football is the anchor, the beating heart of fall events. No football, no major events. You think students want to attend a Fall festival or a football game and fall festival? Besides, the marching band would just go away I assume since a marching band only plays at football events. Another program would die with it.
0 x
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Not the marching band!!! Won't somebody please think of the marching band?!?!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

STC wrote:Not the marching band!!! Won't somebody please think of the marching band?!?!
Show some school spirit! :P
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yeah, who cares about the marching band, cheerleaders, football team, family day, homecoming, senior day, parents weekend, tailgating before and after the game, Saturday afternoon students hanging out.....
Bryant University is not about to drop football but good ol' state U has a large group wanting the program dropped.

People who predicted 4-5 wins this season are sure to be disappointed. I predicted 1 or 2 wins - team is improving but schedule is tough ......need more time.......but in now way do I drop football at URI - and that does not mean I don want them winning
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:Yeah, who cares about the marching band, cheerleaders, football team, family day, homecoming, senior day, parents weekend, tailgating before and after the game, Saturday afternoon students hanging out.....
Bryant University is not about to drop football but good ol' state U has a large group wanting the program dropped.

People who predicted 4-5 wins this season are sure to be disappointed. I predicted 1 or 2 wins - team is improving but schedule is tough ......need more time.......but in now way do I drop football at URI - and that does not mean I don want them winning
Apparently the administration doesn't care too much about all those things, or at least not enough to make a meaningful commitment to making it something we can be proud of. We just got blown out at home by the second worst team in the conference, so if that makes the schedule tough already then we are in even bigger trouble then I thought.

And for the record, since anytime I am critical of the program I get accused of wanting it to be dropped, I DO NOT want the program dropped. I want the program to not be an embarrassment to the school I love. Right now, it is.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
ramster wrote:Yeah, who cares about the marching band, cheerleaders, football team, family day, homecoming, senior day, parents weekend, tailgating before and after the game, Saturday afternoon students hanging out.....

Apparently the administration doesn't care too much about all those things, or at least not enough to make a meaningful commitment to making it something we can be proud of. We just got blown out at home by the second worst team in the conference, so if that makes the schedule tough already then we are in even bigger trouble then I thought.

And for the record, since anytime I am critical of the program I get accused of wanting it to be dropped, I DO NOT want the program dropped. I want the program to not be an embarrassment to the school I love. Right now, it is.[/quot

Good point, understood

There are two groups.

1. Those who want URI to keep football and improve the team's performance e, they have been bad for too long

2. Those who want the program dropped

Not sure of any other categories
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramster, I think there is a third group - Those who want the program dropped IF the university isn't willing to invest the money to upgrade it. I'd consider myself part of that group. It doesn't make sense to me to keep funding football at the level its at right now; either devote more resources, or downgrade and pull out.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree with Greenwell, I'm in that 3rd group.

Commit, or quit. Give Fleming another year after this one. If there's no sign of improvement, or commitment by the school, then adios amigo.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote:Ramster, I think there is a third group - Those who want the program dropped IF the university isn't willing to invest the money to upgrade it. I'd consider myself part of that group. It doesn't make sense to me to keep funding football at the level its at right now; either devote more resources, or downgrade and pull out.
SG,

Sounds like you have 2 options if they don't decide spend the money to invest:
1. Pull out and drop football
2. Downgrade to a lesser conference and keep football

Is that right?
And what timetable would you have to make the decision to invest?

Thoughts on what the investment should include?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I keep wondering to myself whether this program has already reached the event horizon of the black hole that will end football at URI. Once you reach the horizon there's no coming back out.

It's an absolute shame that this team cannot protect the ball and make the most of their talent deficiency. Do you need top talent to value the football?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

The East stands were built in 1978, and were not anything great even when new.
The West Ryan Center Stands were only build because the old concrete West Stands were destroyed along with the field house and the URI Football Locker rooms and cut into the practice field, when the Ryan Center was built. The old west concrete Stands were build in who knows when, the 1930's. We don't have an outdoor track, but have a good track team. If the Ryan Center was not built, someone could come back to URI after being away for 40 years and not notice much change except for the Indoor track, almost 1/2 a Century with Athletic Facilities. Wow.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Any solution will requires tons of money.

With the flooding problem, the entire field will have to be raised, before any new stands are built. Or should be.

Moving the field would cost even more.

The admin sure is in no hurry to do any of these things.

There has to be a limit on how long this can go on......

URI currently has no limit on tolerating a losing [badly] football program.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote:

And for the record, since anytime I am critical of the program I get accused of wanting it to be dropped, I DO NOT want the program dropped. I want the program to not be an embarrassment to the school I love. Right now, it is.
I 100% agree, It just makes me so mad to see the program like this on the brink of extinction.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

All one has to do is experience the excitement that existed during the 1984-1986, and even I believe 1995 with Bobby Apgar, and even the 2001 season where we started off 6-0, or 7-0. It can be a lot of fun. And back in the 1980's we competed with Umass, BU, UConn, not to mention the playoffs against Akron.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

adam914 wrote:But I'm still not willing to concede that all that adds up to getting beat by 28 by them (as the second worst team in the conference) at home.
Yeah, I mean, the second worst team in the conference thing isn't really true anymore. Albany is ranked in virtually every Top 25 poll this week. They're probably not as good as they looked against URI (few teams are), but they're not as bad as the preseason poll thought, either.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
adam914 wrote:But I'm still not willing to concede that all that adds up to getting beat by 28 by them (as the second worst team in the conference) at home.
Yeah, I mean, the second worst team in the conference thing isn't really true anymore. Albany is ranked in virtually every Top 25 poll this week. They're probably not as good as they looked against URI (few teams are), but they're not as bad as the preseason poll thought, either.
Ok, that's fair. I was going off the preseason picks for sure. I'm not sure it really changes the overall point much though.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah, I think it's more telling that they were able to go from where they were four years ago to now ranked.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Is there anyway to report this frustration to the AD?
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodywins wrote:The $500,000 figure is a joke. The starting amount should be $2,400,000+ (60 athletes x 40,000- out of state tuition, room and board.) All 60 that stayed for summer school must have lived in the woods and not ate because nothing was added to the cost. The seats could have been filled by paying students.
Using the NEC decision as anything to do with our performance is a joke. We have full scholarship and would have had it since the NEC plan was dropped. Albany was down a division four years ago with less scholarships and they have improved.
Drop down (best choice)or end it. Keep the games on a lower level and we can still go to the game but maybe come away happy.
Just think if we had that one extra baseball pitcher last year instead of the last scholarship football player.
While the athletes would certainly pay $40+ K a year if they weren't on athletic scholarships, $40K is not a fair representation of what it costs the school to educate and house it's student athletes. If football players weren't getting those scholarships, someone else likely would.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:Ramster, I think there is a third group - Those who want the program dropped IF the university isn't willing to invest the money to upgrade it. I'd consider myself part of that group. It doesn't make sense to me to keep funding football at the level its at right now; either devote more resources, or downgrade and pull out.
SG,

Sounds like you have 2 options if they don't decide spend the money to invest:
1. Pull out and drop football
2. Downgrade to a lesser conference and keep football

Is that right?
And what timetable would you have to make the decision to invest?

Thoughts on what the investment should include?
If it was up to me, meaning if I was the AD and secure in my job, and the team finished with 1 to 3 wins yet again this year, I'd probably offer two plans to Dooley for consideration over the next 24 months - Either shutdown the program, or, invest major money in upgrading the facilities (which would benefit the rest of the school, although probably not much ROI as an academic building) and recruiting and travel budgets. It makes no sense to me to continue the status quo, which has persisted over multiple coaches.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Quote fro Joe Paterno 'You don't win games anymore in college football by out coaching the other team, you win by having better players'
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And we certainly don't have better players.

Actually, maybe a few good ones, but nowhere near enough.

We have a QB who can't throw the ball as well as a mediocre high school QB.

And a coach who insists on playing him.

We also have an AD, who yes he's a great guy and everybody loves him, but this football program is a major black eye for his reputation.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

If McKoy starts tonight-whoa!!
0 x