Outlook for Next Season: Quarterback Analysis

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
thatramsfan
Jim Eitner

Outlook for Next Season: Quarterback Analysis

Unread post by thatramsfan »

Bob Bentsen (SR)
Passing: 1,553 yds, 7 td, 7 int
Rushing: 226yds, 4 td, 2 lost fumbles

Bob Bentsen has to be the biggest question mark going into the 2013 season for the Rams. He, along with the team as a whole, took a step backwards in 2012 compared to the 2011 season. In 2011, he started the season as the backup QB but replaced Steve Probst in the sixth game of the season vs. Maine and started the remaining five games (1,137, 9td, 8int). He had solid games vs. Delaware, Maine, and New Hampshire, and with the exception of the 31 to 13 beatdown at James Madison, played decent in the each of the other games. Bentsen is a shortish (closer to 5-11 than 6-1) QB with a good arm and excellent speed on his throws but his lack of height limits his accuracy under pressure and ability to take advantage of some passing opportunities. He appears to be most comfortable playing in a spread out offensive set - which makes sense because it gives him a wider field of vision to work with. He is a decent, but not explosive, runner when the pocket breaks down. One of the biggest concerns about Bentsen is whether he is a guy that can elevate the performance of the other players around him or if his good to serviceable 2011 season was simply a byproduct of the supporting cast he had. Losing his favorite target, Anthony Baskerville to graduation, as well as three starting OL (Jason Foster, Kyle Bogumil, Michael Gross) certainly did not help his cause. In addition, the 2012 team lacked any semblance of an effective run game which also limited his effectiveness as well as offensive play calling. His career track record seems to indicate that if given the right tools, he can likely be an effective, if not very good QB. It is very questionable, if not certain based on his 2012 season production, whether he will be able to be an effective QB in a offense with very few to no real play making threats.

Danny Fenyak (JR)
Passing: 215 yds, 1 td, 5 int

Fenyak is a QB in a kickers body. He has a lot of heart, and is popular with other members of the team, but I doubt he would last long in a starting role because he just because he lacks the physical makeup required to play the position. His knowledge of the playbook and offensive scheme make him useful to the team as a emergency backup QB. Essentially, a career third or forth stringer.

Dan Farley (JR)

Farley was brought in as a full scholarship transfer from San Bernardino Valley College to provide competition for Bentsen this season. He had a excellent prior season at SBVC & the coaching staff had high hopes for him entering spring camp. Farley struggled so much in spring camp that he basically became the #3 QB behind Fenyak. He played in garbage time in the Bowling Green game but otherwise rode the bench. The fact that the coaching staff would rather play Fenyak at the end of the season rather than giving Farley a test run speaks for itself. I would be shocked if he is still with the team in the spring.

Craig Cicardo

Scout team player who probably plays more WR than QB as a scout.

Overall Analysis

The 2012 season was a massive failure offensively for URI. While some of the blame for that failure certainly has to fall on the shoulders of Bentsen and the QB unit, much of it also had to be attributed to the overall lack of skill player talent. Arguably, WR Brandon Johnson Farrell and TE Joe Migliarese were the only two true play makers on the offense. Opposing defensive's had no reason to be concerned about a URI running game which made the throwing attack predicable and much easier to defend. Unless there is an infusion of some play making talent in the form of transfers or recruiting, the outlook for next season is dire. Bentsen is clearly the only QB on the current roster with the ability to play at the CAA level. URI could try to ride out the next season with Bentsen and depending on the new faces or the lack of them - that choice could result in success - or a disaster similar to or worse than the 2012 season. It makes sense both in the long and short run for URI to attempt to bring in a quarterback player with the ability to play as soon as next season. Ideally, unless there as a massive upgrade to the receiving unit, such a player would be an offensive threat running as well as passing. Whether URI can attract such a player is a good question.

If you've made it this far congrats. That probably means you're one of the few people that actually care about URI football. Everything above is simply my personal analysis and certainly debatable. If anyone has any thoughts or analysis to add I would love to hear them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Outlook for Next Season: Quarterback Analysis

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I appreciate the time and thought you put into that post. I attended a few games this year and can't say that I disagree with anything you wrote.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Well done.
I thought Farley might be a sleeper.
I saw Bentsen play against GSU and he throws a good looking,catchable ball.
Very inaccurate that day. On short passes,kills a lot of worms.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Good post ramsfan - Regardless of who is qb, he will be throwing to an almost new receiving corp. Morgan, Farrell and others are graduating. It will be a very long season, again next year.
0 x