How are we at QB?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How are we at QB?

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: How are we at QB?

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wow! Get Fleming on it!
He seems like he can actually throw the ball
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Isn't that the same high school where Walter White teaches?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Sent Fleming an email. Who knows what will happen, if anything. Fingers crossed we can get a steal of a QB.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just got around to reading that article. Seems kind of strange, like there almost has to be something else going on there. The idea that recruiters just won't really go to New Mexico to see a kid that can play is a little crazy. They'd go see a guy anywhere in the world if they thought he could help them.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There isn't a ton of talent in New Mexico but it isn't like no players come out of there at all. They produce a few BCS players a year. It is strange.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This is a kind of odd story. I would have liked to see a couple more scouting sources in the article though, since high school statistics mean almost nothing unless you're playing in an incredibly competitive league. The only real knocks I could find online said that if you look at scouting video, all of his throws are 30 yards or less, which is fine for high school but not good for college. Obviously, it was just a random post on a message board, but although I'm normally a stats guy the scouting for recruits is incredibly important. Otherwise, you just end up with the equivalent of the minor league baseball junkball pitcher. You can get up to AAA with nothing but a 80 MPH fastball and a good curve, but you'll get the crap knocked out of you in the majors regardless of what your minor league numbers are.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:This is a kind of odd story. I would have liked to see a couple more scouting sources in the article though, since high school statistics mean almost nothing unless you're playing in an incredibly competitive league. The only real knocks I could find online said that if you look at scouting video, all of his throws are 30 yards or less, which is fine for high school but not good for college. Obviously, it was just a random post on a message board, but although I'm normally a stats guy the scouting for recruits is incredibly important. Otherwise, you just end up with the equivalent of the minor league baseball junkball pitcher. You can get up to AAA with nothing but a 80 MPH fastball and a good curve, but you'll get the crap knocked out of you in the majors regardless of what your minor league numbers are.
I agree with all of that. And that is plenty good reason for why USC, Texas and Alabama aren't after him. But where the hell is New Mexico State? Tulsa? North Texas? I mean, there are BAD FBS programs that have 85 scholarships to use. It isn't worth a shot? Every year, FCS players and 2* guys get drafted. It isn't worth it to take a flyer on a guy and see if he fails?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:This is a kind of odd story. I would have liked to see a couple more scouting sources in the article though, since high school statistics mean almost nothing unless you're playing in an incredibly competitive league. The only real knocks I could find online said that if you look at scouting video, all of his throws are 30 yards or less, which is fine for high school but not good for college. Obviously, it was just a random post on a message board, but although I'm normally a stats guy the scouting for recruits is incredibly important. Otherwise, you just end up with the equivalent of the minor league baseball junkball pitcher. You can get up to AAA with nothing but a 80 MPH fastball and a good curve, but you'll get the crap knocked out of you in the majors regardless of what your minor league numbers are.
I agree with all of that. And that is plenty good reason for why USC, Texas and Alabama aren't after him. But where the hell is New Mexico State? Tulsa? North Texas? I mean, there are BAD FBS programs that have 85 scholarships to use. It isn't worth a shot? Every year, FCS players and 2* guys get drafted. It isn't worth it to take a flyer on a guy and see if he fails?
True! Which makes me wonder if something else is going on, like maybe there is an overaggressive parent in the picture. (I know of one RI hoops player who had an overaggressive parent that turned coaches off, and he/she went to a D2 school instead of a low-D1 instead.) Bleacher Report also doesn't exactly have an incredible reputation, but I'm not sure how the individual writer's credibility is.)
0 x