Hockey enthusiast letter to Projo-Scrap Football at URI

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Hockey enthusiast letter to Projo-Scrap Football at URI

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hockey fans and basketball fans don't overlap. I've already explained why and it should be completely self-evident to anyone looking to have an honest discussion why. To continue to use that as an argument against hockey shows that the football camp refuses to have an honest discussion about hockey.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I really really wish some URI hockey staff or players would chime in here.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Hockey fans and basketball fans don't overlap. I've already explained why and it should be completely self-evident to anyone looking to have an honest discussion why. To continue to use that as an argument against hockey shows that the football camp refuses to have an honest discussion about hockey.
I am an example of the hockey/basketball dichotomy in that I was raised as a basketball person, it was my main sport and I played it year round. I've been on skates twice in my life, never been to a regular season NHL game or watched one on TV on purpose, and am in general more anti-hockey than I am pro-football.

But your point here is simply false. Most true fans may prefer one to the other, but there are undoubtedly some casual fans, donors and people who are more fans of the school than of a particular program who would at best choose to split their time and their financial commitment, and others who would just straight choose hockey at the expense of basketball (as silly as that decision may be to me). And that isn't even considering the diversion of resources that would occur internally. In addition to potentially killing the football program, D1 hockey would hurt support of the school's primary sport.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Hockey fans and basketball fans don't overlap. I've already explained why and it should be completely self-evident to anyone looking to have an honest discussion why. To continue to use that as an argument against hockey shows that the football camp refuses to have an honest discussion about hockey.

Where then does hockey get fans? Our basketball program has its own well documented issues in attracting fans. How the hell can hockey survive? Keep in mind that many of the football game attendees likely go to the hoops games. If basketball and hockey play in the same season, you will likely not have any crossover. People are not going to go basketball and hockey games in the same week even if at different dates/times. If, as you say there is absolutely no fan overlap, the prospect of drawing is even more challenging in my estimation. Where are all the hockey fans going to come from? Wouldn't a hockey program have to average a few thousand a game to make it worthwhile? Even PC, near the bottom of Hockey East in attendance numbers, averages nearly 2,700 at Schneider. Is the model for Rhody hockey more comparable to the New England Atlantic Hockey programs such as Holy Cross that averages just under 800 per home game, Bentley at 530, or Sacred Heart and AIC at 200? If that is the case, why even bother as this would seem to indicate that there is no real appreciable demand in Kingston for D1 hockey?
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

It took me a while and several threads to realize there is no honest discussion possible here with this crew.

Why there is such a hateful agenda is beyond my understanding. Four facts here are certain:

-None of the haters have ever step foot in Boss arena thus have certainly not seen the locker rooms which are absolutely world class. In fact the entire facility is excellent, something for all of us to be proud of.
-None of the haters have ever seen our club team play to witness that it is run like a D1 program from warmups to exiting the ice. Certainly none of the haters saw our national championship club of a few years ago that was big, fast and fully capable of competing in ECAC or Hockey East.
-None clicked on the link above where Coach Augustine discusses that every thing he has done and continues to do is to prepare the program for NCAA competition.
-None have ever witnessed a hotly contested NCAA hockey game, be it at Whittemore Center or even a D3 contest at a beautiful venue like Plymouth State's new rink.

If any of the above occurred folks would get it.....college hockey is awesome!

If those representing the hockey team from the inside choose not to participate in these threads in their own defense we hockey fans are truly just wasting our energy posting in these threads. I certainly have dated insider information as others do but we aren't authorized to share.....

Here is a final hope that they will chime in and defend Rhody hockey.......these threads are potentially important any google search pops them up!

Go Rhody
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't care about any of those points. I only care about football, men's basketball and baseball. If that makes me a hater, so be it. All the other sports I wish well, but would prefer we allocate as much of our resources to those three as possible. I don't see how adding D1 hockey helps that.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

FYI - I have been to several D1 college hockey games over the years in Boston, including the Beanpot at the Garden and Kelly Rink at Conte Forum (BC). I was in fact at a BC hockey game just a few weeks ago as a friend's family has season tickets.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This is basically a basketball website. PPL do like hockey, but generally guys that have played or been big fans of basketball don't follow hockey.

The seasons just happen at the same time. I think it would take a little more effort to follow both hockey and basketball over a lifetime to create any connection.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I follow basketball, football, baseball, hockey, and soccer.......I would attend any of these events at my alma mater.....I like lacrosse and wrestling and would also support these sports at my alma mater......realistically we cannot have them all.....Title IX makes it impossible.....

It is a difficult proposition with football taking so many scholarships for men and then trying to add another 30 scholarships to fund hockey and then adding the women's schollies in....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
I am an example of the hockey/basketball dichotomy in that I was raised as a basketball person, it was my main sport and I played it year round. I've been on skates twice in my life, never been to a regular season NHL game or watched one on TV on purpose, and am in general more anti-hockey than I am pro-football.

But your point here is simply false. Most true fans may prefer one to the other, but there are undoubtedly some casual fans, donors and people who are more fans of the school than of a particular program who would at best choose to split their time and their financial commitment, and others who would just straight choose hockey at the expense of basketball (as silly as that decision may be to me). And that isn't even considering the diversion of resources that would occur internally. In addition to potentially killing the football program, D1 hockey would hurt support of the school's primary sport.
So this is interesting. In your first paragraph you use a personal example to show my point is accurate then you try to say it's false? That's nonsensical, but I expect nothing less from people in this forum arguing for keeping a failing de facto division two football with no hope of improvement over division one hockey that could be successful.

Also, you dislike hockey, fine. But what you don't account for is that most people that love hockey tend to hate basketball. Like, actively loathe it. They hate the greater level of attention given to an inferior sport. They hate the culture of acting tough but flopping around. A culture where you get carried off the court with cramps when hockey players skate to the bench on a broken leg. Image over substance. The people that would support URI hockey just aren't supporting URI basketball because they're not going to be passionate about a sport they hate, even if it flies the URI banner. They're going to Providence Bruins games, they're going to local high school games. That's the audience a division one hockey program will draw from. This theoretical URI fan who spends his money on URI basketball because there isn't a URI hockey team is a very, very tiny set of the fan base if it exists at all.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:

Where then does hockey get fans? Our basketball program has its own well documented issues in attracting fans. How the hell can hockey survive? Keep in mind that many of the football game attendees likely go to the hoops games. If basketball and hockey play in the same season, you will likely not have any crossover. People are not going to go basketball and hockey games in the same week even if at different dates/times. If, as you say there is absolutely no fan overlap, the prospect of drawing is even more challenging in my estimation. Where are all the hockey fans going to come from? Wouldn't a hockey program have to average a few thousand a game to make it worthwhile? Even PC, near the bottom of Hockey East in attendance numbers, averages nearly 2,700 at Schneider. Is the model for Rhody hockey more comparable to the New England Atlantic Hockey programs such as Holy Cross that averages just under 800 per home game, Bentley at 530, or Sacred Heart and AIC at 200? If that is the case, why even bother as this would seem to indicate that there is no real appreciable demand in Kingston for D1 hockey?
I also love how hockey haters talk out of both sides of their mouth, like in this post. Which is it? Would a theoretical URI hockey program be so popular that it would kill fan interest in URI basketball or would it be so unpopular as to draw no one? You don't get to argue that it would do both, it's one or the other. Further proof that the average URI football fan/hockey hater isn't capable of a rational, honest discussion of facts. The level of Stockholm syndrome displayed by the average URI football fan is staggering.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

I also love how hockey haters talk out of both sides of their mouth, like in this post. Which is it? Would a theoretical URI hockey program be so popular that it would kill fan interest in URI basketball or would it be so unpopular as to draw no one? You don't get to argue that it would do both, it's one or the other. Further proof that the average URI football fan/hockey hater isn't capable of a rational, honest discussion of facts. The level of Stockholm syndrome displayed by the average URI football fan is staggering.
Since you are an expert on things. Please tell us IN DETAIL (wtih specifics) how and why URI would be successful in D1 hockey. What league would URI play in? What would you estimate average attendance to be in the first decade?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

So this is interesting. In your first paragraph you use a personal example to show my point is accurate then you try to say it's false? That's nonsensical, but I expect nothing less from people in this forum arguing for keeping a failing de facto division two football with no hope of improvement over division one hockey that could be successful.

Also, you dislike hockey, fine. But what you don't account for is that most people that love hockey tend to hate basketball. Like, actively loathe it. They hate the greater level of attention given to an inferior sport. They hate the culture of acting tough but flopping around. A culture where you get carried off the court with cramps when hockey players skate to the bench on a broken leg. Image over substance. The people that would support URI hockey just aren't supporting URI basketball because they're not going to be passionate about a sport they hate, even if it flies the URI banner. They're going to Providence Bruins games, they're going to local high school games. That's the audience a division one hockey program will draw from. This theoretical URI fan who spends his money on URI basketball because there isn't a URI hockey team is a very, very tiny set of the fan base if it exists at all.
Well I am saying you are right there are hockey and basketball people, but you're wrong to suggest that means adding hockey won't have any impact on basketball support. Not sure how much clearer I could have been on this. I get the sense based on this and other conversations that you aren't big into nuance.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Since you are an expert on things. Please tell us IN DETAIL (wtih specifics) how and why URI would be successful in D1 hockey. What league would URI play in? What would you estimate average attendance to be in the first decade?
So pretty much proving my point that pro-football/anti-hockey people can't have an honest debate. I'm supposed to provide a ten year statistical analysis for my argument to be valid yet you can argue that URI hockey would somehow be both too popular and not popular enough and you feel that's valid.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Since you are an expert on things. Please tell us IN DETAIL (wtih specifics) how and why URI would be successful in D1 hockey. What league would URI play in? What would you estimate average attendance to be in the first decade?
So pretty much proving my point that pro-football/anti-hockey people can't have an honest debate. I'm supposed to provide a ten year statistical analysis for my argument to be valid yet you can argue that URI hockey would somehow be both too popular and not popular enough and you feel that's valid.

I am not the one arguing for change. That is what would have to happen to justify starting up a hockey program at URI. A cost analysis and upgrade plan would be needed. No plan, no hockey.

I at least gave you comparable attendance numbers at the New England based Atlantic Hockey schools for some reference how that league has no real following in a hockey hotbed region.

Just keep calling me a hockey hater and ignore the fact that I was just at a D1 hockey game weeks ago and usually take in at least one most every year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Saw this online today and thought it was kind of interesting. UConn doing good things with hockey, and I think I remember seeing somewhere that they have a basketball team to...

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=553F822A
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

....and BCS football too
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

...and the uncontroverted support of the political structure of their state....compare that to Rhody
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So the government is making people go to games?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Wow nice job huskies and nice unis!!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Our Ram hockey team has quietly begun tearing it up again. Something else to watch on campus in the winter!

Since B.B. 15-3 has been declared dead and there appears to be a lot of exposed blue plastic going forward at the RC how bout some D1 hockey talk again?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Here is D1 hockey talk: hockey is dumb and boring and if the school ever considers adding a D1 hockey program I will start donating my money to something else.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

It looks to me that we will have a lot better chance hangin with friartown on the ice vs the hardwood....

I want glory for my school....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Quinnipiac and Yale in a title game ...... cmon now RI is hockey country!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Here is the thing about hockey: nobody cares about it, so even if you're good at it it's like being the world's tallest midget. I couldn't tell you who won the hockey national championship for any year ever, except I could randomly guess BC, BU or Minnesota and I know that PC won it once somewhat recently, and they're a good example of how irrelevant hockey is because I grew up in RI and never even knew they had a hockey team until they won it and literally have not heard one word about their hockey team since. I don't believe college hockey games are even televised. I live in Boston and I'm a huge sports fan, and I couldn't guess the Bruins record within 10 games for a million dollars. Investing money in hockey is like setting your money on fire.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

OK TP I get it

You don't like hockey

It's ok

:)
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

URI could no doubt be able to have both football AND hockey. If the administration/athletic department truly wanted it they could make it happen. Just like if this Admin wanted a better football product. That Think Big, We Do motto is a crock of sh*t when it comes to the athletic department. They invest virtually nothing in their athletics except bball and look how that's playing out. Just as sad as football and they are paying that coach tons more!!! Say what you will about UMass and UConn. Those are two local schools that thought big and THINK BIG about their athletics aside from just basketball!!!
Last edited by GansettRam74 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You can't compare UMass and UConn to URI. They enroll twice as many students as URI and they are in states with resources that dwarf RI's. UMass enrolled 29k students and Mass's GDP is $500B; UConn enrolls 31k and Conn's GDP is $260B; URI enrolls 16k and its GDP is $55B.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I also think it is taking it a bit far to say URI basketball is "just as sad as football". It's been a disappointing season but let's not get carried away here. URI football is on it's own special level of sad.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Here is the thing about hockey: nobody cares about it, so even if you're good at it it's like being the world's tallest midget. I couldn't tell you who won the hockey national championship for any year ever, except I could randomly guess BC, BU or Minnesota and I know that PC won it once somewhat recently, and they're a good example of how irrelevant hockey is because I grew up in RI and never even knew they had a hockey team until they won it and literally have not heard one word about their hockey team since. I don't believe college hockey games are even televised. I live in Boston and I'm a huge sports fan, and I couldn't guess the Bruins record within 10 games for a million dollars. Investing money in hockey is like setting your money on fire.
You could literally swap hockey for FCS football and the hockey schools for FCS football schools in this post and get the same result. Except if you win the division one championship in hockey you're the best school in the country and if you win the FCS championship you still suck and are the 120th best school in the country. Also you wouldn't lose as much money playing division one hockey as you would playing de facto division two football.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RR2, you and I may not agree much when it comes to the basketball team, but we're in lockstep when it comes to the football program....

Thorr is a football guy, but he's done a lousy job with football here...and is probably why he has no interest in starting a D1 hockey program.

An upgrade to hockey could happen, but only with a new AD down the road.......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

For sure URI football is its own kind of sad. Calling Rhody football "sad" might be an insult to things that really are sad.

Interesting to see hockey called dumb and boring...whether you follow teams or not, as a sport, it's about 18,000 times more interesting than...well....you know.....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Let's be clear here. URI could have more success in terms of winning with a hockey team than it would with its football team. But folks come to see football games, hockey can't attract enough attention from fans (or alumni). For example, attendance for a shitty URI football team in 2015 was about the same as a good BU hockey squad in the same year. The capacity attendance percentage in 2015 is higher for crappy RI football than hockey for Northeastern, Connecticut, and UMass to name a few. I would love to see D1 hockey at URI, but scrapping football is not the way to do it.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right. If you want hockey, then go for hockey. You don't have to dump football to petition for hockey.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Maybe it is off the subject other than, if you want hockey get it, donate, lots of money, and don't say dump football. If you want hockey you need women's and men's. However to the point. I think something has to be done in basketball, the last 1 minutes of UMass basketball game took 20 minutes to play and felt longer. Basketball is supposed to be a offensive, fast action game, but the last minutes of basketball games have turned very ugly the last 20 years. Nothing fast about the last minutes of a basketball game with all the fouling and time outs. Games that used to take 2 hours are taking 2 1/2 hours. I have heard talk about this on XM radio , but nobody who has any power wants to take this on. A lot of the fun of basketball has been taken out of the game.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I pro football as well 100%. Not to say I don't like hockey, because I think URI should of had a real program years ago. We have an on campus arena which is a huge stepping stone for many programs. We have had this "club" team for years and they have been competitive. I would like to see the finances fighting this opportunity because we are in arguably the best hockey region in the country. Growing up I played basketball so hockey was out of the question, but theres a lot of youth hockey in this state. I am pro hockey but second to football because of sport popularity, event marketing and attendance like others have mentioned, I hope something can be done at the same time.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Again, Thorr has stated that there won't be a hockey upgrade......we might have to wait until we have a new AD.......

We can make a good case for hockey....and I think there is a good case....but it's not happening under his watch.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:I do not dispute that capacity could be increased at Boss Arena. I recall reading it was built so that another 1000 or so seats could be added. That however would still only get capacity to 3,500 with all bleacher seating and little to no amenities. The facility would in no way be up to Hockey East standards which you have stated is the ultimate goal. It would be fine for Atlantic Hockey but participation in that league would not generate a lot of interest for URI D1 hockey and make it difficult to justify a program upgrade.
I was reading a UConn proposal for athletic facility improvements. Hockey East requires the arena to hold 2500 seats with 20% of the seats being chair backs. The rest can be bleacher seating. The arena already holds 2500 people all on bleacher seating and it was designed for one side of the ice open for seating expansion, so you could easily put all of the chair back seats on that side and get the seating capacity up to about 3300-3500.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And who would fill those seats?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was reading this thread trying to figure it out and follow the happenings. Then I see myself saying its hard to follow both Hockey and basketball 2 years ago. What do you know?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:And who would fill those seats?
I went to the game Saturday after the men's basketball game and it was surprisingly well attended. I would say it was about half full when I walked in most of the way through the first period which considering it's a club team is damn impressive. People need to understand that hockey and basketball are entirely different fan bases, almost as a necessity considering their schedules. We will be siphoning off people that are going to Pbruins games or people that aren't going to sporting events on campus because they're hockey fans and don't care about other sports as much. You not going to hockey games doesn't effect how other people choose to spend their time and money and there are a lot of people in the URI community that want hockey.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/coll ... a_new_team

More fun to bump an old thread than start a new one.

Rhody hockey talk!

Let's go Rhody!!!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

URI BASKETBALL needs diversity. URI FOOTBALL helps provide diversity. Most of the big money donors I know are not for hockey, Sorry.

GO RHODY!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

brady1 wrote:URI BASKETBALL needs diversity. URI FOOTBALL helps provide diversity. Most of the big money donors I know are not for hockey, Sorry.

GO RHODY!
Fuck it, I'm drunk, let's have the discussion instead of just ignoring you.

Please explain in detail how football helps the basketball team. How has the lack of a football team hurt Providence College, Xavier, and Gonzaga? How is URI basketball better than those programs because of a de facto division two football program? Do you think it's even a little insulting to think minority students will only pick a college based on if they have a football program?
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

The diversity is the football players - look at the photos of the roughly 100 player roster and you see the diversity.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And how does that effect the basketball team?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

What about if somebody ran a fund raiser to start a hockey team? Make it possible to add without impacting other sports.
It should not take much-say $500-$1M? I will give $250 to start and another $250 per $100K in the kitty.
Also,need a realistic time frame-if not at such a # by say 2.5 years-the $$ can go to another sport of donors choosing?
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

If I'm not mistaken multiple big hitters have already given hundreds of thousands of $$ earmarked for Ram hockey?

Even entry into Hockey East won't cost that much money tho there is a stiff entry fee. Not sure what it is now. We would need to find a way to move both club teams to D1 for gender issues and frankly because the women's club team is equally deserving. Not sure if they could possibly move into different leagues?

I believe Hockey East now requires 4K seats. Would it be cheaper to pipe the RC vs knock out the wall at Boss ?

Certainly entry into HE is much more complicated. Both club teams could move to Atlantic Hockey next season?

Crickets continued from the "blue line club" or anyone in the know in this thread.....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I personally would do season tickets for D1 hockey and certainly continue to attend a significant number of Rhody hoop games....
0 x