#2 New Hampshire at Meade, 11/8 at 12:30

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

#2 New Hampshire at Meade, 11/8 at 12:30

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

New Hampshire is really, really good. They're 7-1 this season, with their only loss coming at FBS Toledo. Their average margin of victory in conference is 19.8 points per game. This is almost definitely going to get ugly. Last week their was no discussion for the Delaware game, and this game figures to be way worse for discussion points, so why not take things in a different direction than just talking about this game.

Why is New Hampshire so good? Why are they so much better than we are? They've now made the playoffs 10 years in a row, the longest streak in the nation, with number 11 seeming to be a mere formality at this point in the season.

The population of New Hampshire is just slightly higher than Rhode Island and you don't really view New Hampshire as a great football state, so they shouldn't be getting significantly better in-state talent than we get, though they do have 21 in-state players on their roster. Meade Stadium is viewed as a significant drawback for our program, yet Cowell Stadium really isn't better at this point. It's slightly newer and has field turf that was installed before the 2007 season, but in terms of capacity and amenities it's really not better than Meade Stadium.

Is it simply Head Coach Sean McDonnell? He's been the head coach at UNH since 1999 and has led the Wildcats to a record of 121-72 in his time there, with a 79-54 record in the conference and 10 of the school's 12 playoff appearances. That said, in the 16 years before he was head coach they had an overall record of 109-63-2, with a conference record of 72-45 with 2 playoff appearances. So Coach McDonnell has clearly elevated the program, turning it into the most consistently successful program in the country, if not the best, but it was still a far better program than ours even before he took over.

So why are they so much better than we are? What are they doing differently than most every program in the nation? How are they able to accomplish so much with seemingly so little? What can we do to move closer to what they're accomplishing?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Re: #2 New Hampshire at Meade, 11/8 at 12:30

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Why are we so much better in basketball than new hampshire?
We care more about it.
If we cared more about football, we'd be better.
Hopefully things are going to get better soon.

I was at homecoming, it was very disappointing...
knowing that we were probably going to lose because we
couldn't do much offensively in the second half.

I am a football supporter, who didn't comment on the delaware game.
What's there to say? We played ok?

These last 29 years have been tough. Hopefully we will see some progress
by next year, but I have to ask...
Are we at the maximum scholarship level that CAA allows?
If not, is New Hampshire?
What kind of recruiting budget do we have?
Does it compare with UNH?
I haven't visited the football offices since last season,
when there was work being done to Keaney, and they
looked like the streets of London during the blitzkrieg.
Are they presentable to recruits yet?
Are they acceptable places for the coaches to work?
It seems really unlikely that UNH could have worse
facilities for the coaches and players to do their preparation
for games than we did last year, so that's where I would start.

Can't say I'm looking forward to Saturday, but I eagerly await
the day when we will be competitive again.
If enough people care enough about it, it will surely happen.
0 x
Meade
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Meade »

UNH and to a lesser extent Maine are the models we need to understand and replicate. It is clear that football is more important to them and losing is not tolerated for long. Is there a connection that they both play hockey at a high level and don't emphasize basketball? How does their overall athletic budgets compare to URI? You would expect that they are similar but perhaps allocated differently. The questions about financial support for the program (recruiting budget, coaches compensation) are important but I think the real advantage is their depth of talent. I would imagine that they have strong relations with the high schools that consistently feed them solid players that they then do a great job of developing. See how many of their players have gone to prep school and then red shirt. There is no reason why URI cannot successfully emulate what is going on there. from my perspective the URI campus and location can be a real competitive edge. If URI is going to play football(or any sport for that matter) being successful has to be mandatory.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Rudder-my understanding is the Rams football offices have been upgraded.
With that and the new SADC,appearances are less of an issue.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Well over 7,000 people turned out to watch a game that was fairly close for 3 quarters. Great game from Lyle Mccomb, but it seems like Capparell isn't the answer at QB. Offense struggles to move the ball through the air, and the defense wears down from lack of depth.
Will this be our largest crowd for an athletic event this year? If so, do we still cut football??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Meade wrote:UNH and to a lesser extent Maine are the models we need to understand and replicate. It is clear that football is more important to them and losing is not tolerated for long. Is there a connection that they both play hockey at a high level and don't emphasize basketball? How does their overall athletic budgets compare to URI? You would expect that they are similar but perhaps allocated differently. The questions about financial support for the program (recruiting budget, coaches compensation) are important but I think the real advantage is their depth of talent. I would imagine that they have strong relations with the high schools that consistently feed them solid players that they then do a great job of developing. See how many of their players have gone to prep school and then red shirt. There is no reason why URI cannot successfully emulate what is going on there. from my perspective the URI campus and location can be a real competitive edge. If URI is going to play football(or any sport for that matter) being successful has to be mandatory.
I agree that URI should model it's football program after Maine and UNH, but their overall athletic programs aren't anything to emulate. You'd much rather have a basketball program at URI's current level than the best college hockey program in the country. URI is a basketball school, but there is no reason that our #2 sport shouldn't be competitive.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Attendance and fan support are fine. Losing is the problem.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

0-12 comes one step closer to reality.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great atmosphere today. Left at half for another engagement.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

The attendance and atmosphere is nothing short of amazing.
Particularly that according to many on this board,nobody goes to the games.
"No students,no locals,no old people,no alums,fans from other teams care enough to go to URI FB games. " These are real, unsolicited comments!
I would not want to know what they think of the attendance at the other sports!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hal Kopp wrote:The attendance and atmosphere is nothing short of amazing.
Particularly that according to many on this board,nobody goes to the games.
"No students,no locals,no old people,no alums,fans from other teams care enough to go to URI FB games. " These are real, unsolicited comments!
I would not want to know what they think of the attendance at the other sports!
Exactly.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Stadium: Meade Stadium
Attendance: 7210
Weather: mostly sunny
Temperature: 45

Brown played Yale, only got 4,200.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The football team is showing some signs of life. They need a CAA level QB and more depth.

All depends on what kind of talent Fleming can bring in over the next couple of years.

Here's the question: At what level does the team have to get to, to convince the school to commit to infrastructure improvements. if that's even possible?

Will steady improvement be enough? Without better facilities, how much better could they get?

To EVER get to the level where they could play with the best in the conference, a new stadium, with lights and field turf, has to happen. Or they won't ever get that kind of talent to come here.

Yes, New Hampshire does it, somehow. I don't see it here, unfortunately.
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

I've been to every home game this year. Great atmosphere, great fan support, even better tailgating. The only thing missing is winning. I do think they are committed to turning that around. You can't just go by W/L record. First year head coach, look at Men's and Women's soccer and (hopefully) Men's bball.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Only got the chance to listen on the radio... How did our back up QB- Peavy look? Terry Lynch spent a portion of the post game show questioning why he hasn't been given more of a chance this season.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote:The football team is showing some signs of life. They need a CAA level QB and more depth.
I still think Lowrie can be that guy. He's big and strong, but also pretty mobile. And he was recruited by BC after all. The season-ending injury this year sucked though. If he was able to get a full season under his belt and work out the freshman mistakes, there was certainly a shot at him making some strides to build on for next year. Not so sure now, though. Hopefully it's not too big of a setback heading into next season.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If the recruiting for this year's freshman class was as improved as I thought it seemed at the time, then these scores don't mean much as far as where this program is going. We know that the talent needed to be upgraded, and even if that process has started a bunch of freshmen aren't going to turn things around overnight in the CAA.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OBRAM wrote:Location: Kingston, RI

There was just one home basketball game (PC) last season that had better attendance than yesterday's football game. If the hoops teams doesn't get any near sellouts this season, this football game will be the best attended URI sporting event of the academic year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Shocked by the attendance numbers. I guess the message has been sent. Winning doesn't matter, keep trotting out 0-12 teams and the fans will come anyway.
0 x
Meade
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Meade »

The message sent is that football is a great experience at URI and yes, winning would make it better. I suppose you would have preferred that no one show up to signify their disgust with this lousy team. I think they call that being a fair weathered fan and nothing will ever be built on that. It was a great day, the kids gave their all and it wasn't good enough. I support them fully, will continue do do so and I can wait for them to start winning. Maybe then you will feel it worth your while to come to a game.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote:
OBRAM wrote:Location: Kingston, RI

There was just one home basketball game (PC) last season that had better attendance than yesterday's football game. If the hoops teams doesn't get any near sellouts this season, this football game will be the best attended URI sporting event of the academic year.
You can't compare football attendance to any other college sport. Hell, Michigan gets 100k+ for their games. Pretty sure their basketball team, not so much. Remember, football drives NCAA sports.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Meade wrote:The message sent is that football is a great experience at URI and yes, winning would make it better. I suppose you would have preferred that no one show up to signify their disgust with this lousy team. I think they call that being a fair weathered fan and nothing will ever be built on that. It was a great day, the kids gave their all and it wasn't good enough. I support them fully, will continue do do so and I can wait for them to start winning. Maybe then you will feel it worth your while to come to a game.
My confusion comes from the difference in attitude towards the football program as opposed to the basketball program. People were applauded for showing their displeasure with the hoops program by not showing up.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote:Shocked by the attendance numbers. I guess the message has been sent. Winning doesn't matter, keep trotting out 0-12 teams and the fans will come anyway.
It would shock me if that total attendance number was all paid attendance. I would suspect that a decent amount are giveaways, however, I'm not positive about that. Also, the degree to which football is more popular than other sports really is startling. Crappy Division IV high school teams in Rhode Island will still get good crowds, better than all other sports, even though they might be playing the worst high school football in the U.S.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

If you can't scrounge up a free ticket to URI, you're not trying hard. Actually you can say the same for a lot of the basketball games.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This game was great until towards the end but awesome atmosphere and it was a lot of fun. Tons of fans showing off the RhODY gear and the band sounded terrific. If you think we should rid of this program you obviously haven't been to a game.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Found out the McCombs guy was out for so long because of his finger. C'mon man!!!! Six weeks for a finger?? I'm against playing with injuries a lot of the time, but a finger?? Suck it up Lyle!
I trust Fleming will be able to get us goin. If Lowrie can prove to be effective it would be huge. Cooper is going to be good, so if Lowrie or someone else can deliver and we'd be able to put some points on the board, we'll be alright. The dream would to have a good dual threat QB back there. A guy who can keep the defense guessing. Lowrie can maybe be that guy. But I think we'll be okay. Still dealing with our almost move to the northeast conference and the downgrade in talent. That and that we've just been god awful for so long.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote:Found out the McCombs guy was out for so long because of his finger. C'mon man!!!! Six weeks for a finger?? I'm against playing with injuries a lot of the time, but a finger?? Suck it up Lyle!
I thought the same thing. He did have minor surgery to repair the broken finger, but six weeks is an awfully long time to miss. But hey, that's why I'm not a doctor.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What does it matter? Would it have made a difference?

If they had a QB and an offensive line, then maybe it would have. Throw in a defense for good measure.

With 2 games left in his career, so what!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Was probably a blessing in disguise. Got Cooper some more burn.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:This game was great until towards the end but awesome atmosphere and it was a lot of fun. Tons of fans showing off the RhODY gear and the band sounded terrific. If you think we should rid of this program you obviously haven't been to a game.
That's all well and good, I'm glad it was a good time. But again, my only confusion is why there are such opposing views on football and basketball. Everyone around here was all about showing their disapproval of the hoops program by not giving it their money to send a message. I'm just looking for somebody to convince me why this is different. Isn't the message being sent that 0-12 is fine and we'll keep showing up with our wallets open?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Fans showed up to hoops games in Hurley's first season to support the first-year head coach and the anticipated direction the program was headed. They did so despite the fact that the team was not very good because they knew that the school and the program needed that type of support (financial and otherwise) to succeed.
Looks like the same is going on with football.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Fans showed up to hoops games in Hurley's first season to support the first-year head coach and the anticipated direction the program was headed. They did so despite the fact that the team was not very good because they knew that the school and the program needed that type of support (financial and otherwise) to succeed.
Looks like the same is going on with football.
Ok, thats fair and a really good point. Are the attendance numbers this year a big improvement from the past few?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Not sure. All I can find is this:

The numbers are definitely shocking. New coach or not, I figured football fans would be jaded by years of suckage.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:The football team is showing some signs of life. They need a CAA level QB and more depth.
I still think Lowrie can be that guy. He's big and strong, but also pretty mobile. And he was recruited by BC after all. The season-ending injury this year sucked though. If he was able to get a full season under his belt and work out the freshman mistakes, there was certainly a shot at him making some strides to build on for next year. Not so sure now, though. Hopefully it's not too big of a setback heading into next season.
I wouldn't be ready to hang my hat on him as the future of the program, he was very iffy when he played this season. And I wouldn't brag about him being a BC quarterback. He was recruited by Frank Spaziani who was a terrible, God awful recruiter. BC was the only school to offer him a scholarship and he was gone as soon as Steve Addazio came in, so it seems like he was never a legitimate FBS level QB, and he lucked into a BCS scholarship.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Meade wrote:The message sent is that football is a great experience at URI and yes, winning would make it better. I suppose you would have preferred that no one show up to signify their disgust with this lousy team. I think they call that being a fair weathered fan and nothing will ever be built on that. It was a great day, the kids gave their all and it wasn't good enough. I support them fully, will continue do do so and I can wait for them to start winning. Maybe then you will feel it worth your while to come to a game.
Adam914 was right on. The administration will never improve the football program because people will keep eating the shit this school is feeding us. It's absolutely time for people to stop showing up for games, maybe then they'll get the message that it's time to improve the program.

If you had a great time watching your favorite team lose by 27, losing for the 14th straight time, and go 3-32 in their last 35 then you're a terrible fan, if you're a fan at all. Everyone loves tailgating, but if you're a fan of the team then the board behind the end zone that keeps track of the score matters. The record matters. Real fans don't have a great time when their favorite team loses, they feel bad about the day. And when they're faced with the haplessness that we've been faced with over the last 35 games real fans are pissed off. If you're still having fun, you're doing something wrong and you're a part of the problem with the football program.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Attendance,interest,support is strong,program cannot keep going on like this -one way or another. Ever the optimist,I hate to say that. But,am hearing that.
Lowrie -IMO is not answer. Two top RI HS coaches who played at Rhody in 84-85 say he has strong arm (?). Time to give Peavey a chance. Capparel not bad for frosh,may get better,but need to bring at least two QB's in. Cooper,McKeenan,Bose,Wieclaw and Jackson can play anywhere. The rest of the Jrs. and Srs. could not play dead in a cowboy show.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch is doing some serious work on the numbers. Why have two different cut off dates for comparing attendance? Also, comparing the top attendance is the same method that NASCAR fans used to use to try and make the case that they were as big as any sport other than football. It's easy to have high attendance numbers when you have a big seating area and a limited number of events to sell. Also, Saturday was Family Day, which is always one of the two best attended games of the year, in much the same way that the Pink Out has been traditionally a big game for basketball.

Over the last 5 seasons for each team the football team has averaged 4984 per game while the basketball team has averaged 4429, but again football plays only 5 home games a year, and they're all on Saturday afternoons both of which help average attendance. If you go by cumulative attendance basketball is up 354,305 to 119,606 which is far more important than average per game.
0 x
Meade
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Meade »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Adam914 was right on. The administration will never improve the football program because people will keep eating the shit this school is feeding us. It's absolutely time for people to stop showing up for games, maybe then they'll get the message that it's time to improve the program.

If you had a great time watching your favorite team lose by 27, losing for the 14th straight time, and go 3-32 in their last 35 then you're a terrible fan, if you're a fan at all. Everyone loves tailgating, but if you're a fan of the team then the board behind the end zone that keeps track of the score matters. The record matters. Real fans don't have a great time when their favorite team loses, they feel bad about the day. And when they're faced with the haplessness that we've been faced with over the last 35 games real fans are pissed off. If you're still having fun, you're doing something wrong and you're a part of the problem with the football program.

Sorry Ard but you only have it half right. And for the record I did not say I had a great time but that it was a great day. Real fans do suffer and they are pissed off but they don't stop supporting their teams. But as far as not going to the games I don't understand that mentality. I have been to all 10 losses this year and yes they have often been overmatched. The QB play has not been up to par and the D Line is giving up 50-75 lbs per man and ultimately they get worn down. But this is a team that is easy for me to route for and support. These kids play hard, they support each other and they never give up. We all want to win but none more than these kids. Can't wait for the next 2 games and will root for them to get a win. You can stay home and send your message.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Meade wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Sorry Ard but you only have it half right. And for the record I did not say I had a great time but that it was a great day. Real fans do suffer and they are pissed off but they don't stop supporting their teams. But as far as not going to the games I don't understand that mentality. I have been to all 10 losses this year and yes they have often been overmatched. The QB play has not been up to par and the D Line is giving up 50-75 lbs per man and ultimately they get worn down. But this is a team that is easy for me to route for and support. These kids play hard, they support each other and they never give up. We all want to win but none more than these kids. Can't wait for the next 2 games and will root for them to get a win. You can stay home and send your message.
I heard and read the same philosophy about the Baron Teams the last couple of years, including the 7 win season, but I went to every game and I don't have one regret about having gone to every one. Want to call me not a true fan of the URI Basketball team? Not a true fan of the Football team? I disagree with that philosophy completely.
I don't think true fans stay home to protest. There are others ways to protest - I just don't agree with sitting on the Coach.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

In my opinion I think the school should notice how many people go to these football gaames and really take advantage of it by giving the program more money and supporting more with infrastructure and marketing. If less people went I think they would just have the mind set of giving up rather than an eye opening aspect.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:In my opinion I think the school should notice how many people go to these football gaames and really take advantage of it by giving the program more money and supporting more with infrastructure and marketing. If less people went I think they would just have the mind set of giving up rather than an eye opening aspect.
I hope that is the way they look at it to. But they could just as easily look at it as "people come anyway, so status quo seems to be acceptable"
0 x
Meade
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Meade »

If the administration is considering attendance as either a reason to leave "well enough" alone then there is a major problem with the administrators. Every sport URI competes in has to pursue winning as a reflection of what the university is all about. It really isn't different than the academic programs the university chooses to offer. This is Thor's job and I think he has done a good job to date but football certainly is a work in progress. It includes an honest evaluation of the resources required to compete in the leagues we have joined and getting the administration to commit the money required. If we are not investing in football at the necessary CAA level then we are just kidding ourselves. I don/t know if that is the case, but it has been a constant topic in these discussions.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good post Meade and I agree with you completely.

I do think that at this point it is obvious that URI is NOT investing in the football program anywhere near the level required to be competitive at the CAA level.

Dooley himself has said URI needs a successful football program, as he came from a school that made the necessary commitments and was successful doing so.

Nobody at URI is happy about where the program is right now. There is optimism that Fleming is/was the right hire to start a turnaround, but he could be Knute Rockne himself and that won't get it done with the current sad state of football facilities [except the SADC] at the school.

If I was a recruit on URI's radar, and I came for a visit, would I sign with us, looking at what is here? Not in a million years.
0 x
Meade
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Meade »

I am not fully sold about our facilities as "the" critical issue. As I have said before, in my opinion UNH and Maine may have marginally better stadiums - personally I think the overall atmosphere at Meade is better - but what they are offering recruits is a winning tradition. Of course redoing the East stands would be great for team and fans and it needs to happen. But Fleming has stated quite clearly that as it stands URI has a lot to sell - the campus and a location that is would be attractive to many recruits, especially when compared to the northern climes of UNH and Maine. That being said, I think you hit on Dooley as being the key figure in all of this and that is why I think strong crowds at last weeks game make a difference to support him. Many in these football posts have looked back at the last 20 years of football futility and I think there is a strong correlation to the Carother's reign. I think he thought football needed to be phased out and that it is beneath his idea of an academic institution. He eliminated tailgating which was a clear message. And when he decided to cancel games due to suspension of varsity players - I agree with the suspensions - but he should have sent the 2nd or 3rd or even the scout team to play if need be - it was disgrace. But that is all in the past, it is all about the future, and it is going to take time and commitment and I am looking forward to it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

People can disagree with the strategy of not going to games as a protest, but the fact of the matter is it's the only form of protest fans have that actually works. And if you don't think it works at URI or with Thorr Bjorn then you weren't paying attention at the end of the Baron era. Attendance was declining, and Bjorn realized that it would continue to decline unless the team made the tournament to rejuvenate the fan base and so Baron was let go because the continuing loss of attendance would be too much for the program to handle. If you want to send a strongly worded letter or you want to go to games because you're just fine with how things are, that's your choice. I'll try to drive change with my wallet. The men's basketball program, the athletic department, and the university as a whole are better because fans were dissatisfied with what Baron was producing and stayed away. You're welcome.

Facilities are the critical issue for two reasons. One, because frankly the East stands don't have much left to go in their life span. They lasted for 31 years before they were condemned. They're now at the end of their 5th season after patchwork repairs were done to keep them open. How much longer do they have left for those repairs to be effective? How much longer before other parts of the stands are no longer safe? And two, redoing the East stands if not the whole stadium is the only thing the program can do that would be visible and important enough to show the public including recruits that the university is committed to the football program in ways it hasn't been in 20-30 years. New football offices can be given to other teams and aren't seen by the general public, lights and turf can be used by other sports, new football stands shows commitment to the program. For safety, effectiveness, and symbolism the only thing that matters is redoing the East stands.

You'll have to excuse me, but I don't see where Fleming is the answer. He's never been the head coach of a scholarship football team before and he was a mediocre defensive coach throughout his career, highlighted by more than 5 seasons as an average at best coordinator in the MAC. The biggest bright spot on his resume is he kept Central Florida's defense going well. Great, he maintained a defense that was already good. There's something to be said for a coach that can maintain success built by another coach. But there's nothing in his resume to suggest he can build a program as the head coach at this level, especially one as historically bad as ours. You guys can hang on his words and believe his spin, I'll stay focused on the record.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

People were not showing up to URI basketball games towards the end of the Baron era because they wanted Baron fired. Mission accomplished. But if folks stop showing up to football games, what's the end game there? For the school to fire Fleming? For the school to drop football altogether? Just a hunch, but if you want URI to drop football, chances are you weren't going to games in the first place. And if you're not showing up to games because you want the school to put more money into facilities? That's pretty much the definition of counter-intuitive.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

My end game for the athletic administration is to realize that a decade plus of losing season after losing season and now the worst three year stretch in the program's history is unacceptable and no longer worth my money. That if we're going to have a football team in the CAA we have to invest financially at a CAA level. That if they want us to fill up Meade Stadium they have to provide a stadium that's safe to sit in with adequate restroom and concession facilities. As odd as it sounds, I don't believe they think that. I believe they think that filling up the stadium is good enough. And I'm not sure I can blame them. After all, if the football program was bad enough that people found it unacceptable they wouldn't be spending money and showing up. People vote with their wallets, and right now they're voting that losing is ok. I truly believe that's their attitude, and their financial commitment gives me no reason to think otherwise. What was the last major investment in the facilities? Why should I be invested in the program financially when the athletic department isn't invested in it?

Also, you can say it's counter-intuitive, but if you were on the message board at the end of his tenure you'd know that people said the same thing about Baron. They said that if people didn't show up the athletic department wouldn't have the money to buy him out due to the decreased ticket revenue. So maybe it's not as close to counter-intuitive as you believe it to be.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

This isn't a rhetorical question: Do you think that the school takes football-generated revenue and turns around and doesn't invest it back into football?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes I do. It's been stated before that they take money from guaranteed games against FBS schools and use that money for their general athletics fund.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

It's also been stated that an NCAA Tournament run for the basketball team could fund the football program in it's entirety for two years.

Anyway, I was speaking mostly to ticket-generated revenue; I didn't make that clear. If ticket-generated revenue is being invested back into the program, then it stands to reason that investment in the program will grow merely by fans going to games. If you think they invest a fixed amount regardless of revenue with the hopes of keeping football right where it is (and not improving it), then there's probably nothing I can say to change your mind.

Also, I think the Baron comparison is apples and oranges. URI was, is, and always will be a basketball school. There was no fear of or push for the university to drop the basketball program altogether and invest in hockey.
0 x