Football Game 4, 9/27 at 4 at Central Connecticut on 920 AM

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Football Game 4, 9/27 at 4 at Central Connecticut on 920 AM

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The 0-3 Rams will travel to New Britain to take on the 1-3 Blue Devils. After an impressive first game where they went on the road to beat at the time #7 Towson, they have gone on to lose 3 straight. In week two they lost at home to Albany 19-0, week 3 was a 20-7 loss at Holy Cross and last week they lost 35-25 at Dartmouth. We beat them last year at Meade 42-7.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Football Game 4, 9/27 at 4 at Central Connecticut on 920

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So... predictions?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Pain?

Seriously I don't know. But if I had to guess I'd say tomorrow or next week against Brown are their two best chances to win this season. Then again last week at this time I would have put Albany at the beginning of the line and said three best chances to win this season. If they don't win this week or next I'm not sure they'll win one all year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:So... predictions?
Well, I predicted Albany to be one of my two wins and that did not work out. Our best chances are Brown and Central CT - but I don't like how they upset Towson.
I'll go out on a limb and predict a URI win - our QB has a big game and our new UCONN running back gets 3 touchdowns.

@ Marshall - Loss, No way a win, impossible
@ Fordham - Loss, No way. Fordham ranked 10th Nationally, should win the Patriot League
Albany - Win, Should be a win in our first Home game of the season
@ Central Connecticut State - Loss, I thought a win at first but they just pulled a humongous upset at Towson in their first game and Towson was ranked 19th Nationally. Now predict a loss
Brown - Win, Should be a win. Brown picked 6th of 8 teams preseason in the Ivy League
@ Villanova - Loss, no chance with Villanove ranked 7th Nationally
@ Richmond - Loss, no change with Richmond ranked 20th Nationally
Maine - Loss, Maine ranked 22nd Nationally
Delaware - Loss
New Hampshire - Loss, No way. UNH ranked 8th Nationally
@ Stony Brook - Loss
Towson - Loss. Towson ranked 19th Nationally
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ATPTourFan wrote:So... predictions?
I've got Rhody in this one. Rhody beat CCSU last time we played them and the Rams gotta get 2 wins somewhere to fulfill my prediction.

Rams 34-27.

As a side note, I was at the URI-Brown game last year and Brown handled us in every aspect. Don't think we can just pencil that game or any game in as a W.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody down 10-0 starting 2nd half.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Is Lyle McCombs playing? Running game has been atrocious so far. 18 carries for 23 yards.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

0-12 for 2014. I'm betting, unfortunately.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Touchdown pass Rhody! 10-6 (missed PAT).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ugh, just gave up another big play to CCSU... touchdown makes it 17-6.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I have to say, this is pretty disappointing. I was quietly hopeful that we could threaten to win this game. CCSU was shut out by Albany. If we were going to win a game this year this would have been a top contender for that game. Now I'm worried that we will be winless.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I looked down for a few minutes and now it's 24-6 with 7 to go.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

I've been a big supporter for years but this team is downright atrocious! We have to be without a shadow of a doubt the worst D1 in the country! Hendricken could give team a run for it's money! I guess we've really hit rock bottom. I know most of these guys are Trainor recruits but ouch.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Full rebuild. We all know how Hurley inherited a mess. I wonder how this compares for new FB head coach?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think it would be insane to say that the football program is more broken than the basketball program Hurley inherited. I don't know as much about the football program, but if someone with insight into the situation told me that I would believe them.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree, I think it's in worse shape than basketball was. Look no further than facilities...at least basketball already had decent facilities and didn't need to overcome that handicap. I don't care how good the coach is...we will never consistently recruit the players needed to compete at the top of this division with our current facilities.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Made the short trip over to Arute Field to take in the Rams game today and the only good thing that I can say is it was a great day to be spending outside at a football game. Unfortunately, the performance by the Rams was just about as unwatchable as you can get. I have no idea if Fleming can coach or recruit but he's going to have to do both at an extremely high level to turn this around. I was shocked at how a much smaller CCSU team pushed our guys all over the field at will. This is an NEC team who had a much smaller player at almost every position and they completely manhandled our much bigger team. Our offense is about as bad (and boring) as I've ever seen at this level. I know McCombs didn't play, but our play calling was conservative and boring. Our offensive line dwarfed a much smaller CCSU defense and we couldn't control the line of scrimmage at any point in the game. CCSU swarmed all over the ball and completely shut down the run game, our receivers dropped many catchable balls and we killed ourselves with penalties when we actually had a chance to get back in the game. I'd also say that CCSU looked like the much better prepared team. Almost as embarrassing, CCSU TWICE went for it on 4th and short in their own territory in the first half with only a 10 pt lead, that is just insulting. Look, I knew this year was going to be a complete rebuild, but this team has not been competitive in any game and was blown out by an NEC team. I'm not sure we will ever be able to compete at the CAA level, maybe we should either kill the program or move to a conference that is in more alignment with the commitment the school is willing to make. I actually turned down UCONN/Temple tickets to attend today's debacle, what a shame.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I hope Fleming gets a short leash.

If there isn't dramatic improvement next season it's time to say sayonara to this program.

Lack of talent is one thing, but looking unprepared to play is not acceptable.

Is this guy going to be held accountable and when?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He has to get at least three years. I don't get how someone could think it makes sense to give a guy two years to turn around a program that has been bad for 30 years. He needs to at least get some of his recruits on the field before you can make any kind of judgment (as long as the team doesn't get worse in the meantime, but honestly I don't think that is possible).
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

rambone 78 wrote:I hope Fleming gets a short leash.

If there isn't dramatic improvement next season it's time to say sayonara to this program.

Why should Fleming get a short leash? If anything he should get a longer leash for inheriting this train wreck of a program.

If URI decides it will never be able to acquire the funding needed to build a legitimate stadium and wants to kill the program then fine I can live with that.

I don't think it is unpreparedness as much as it is Fleming being left with no choice but to play the youth. Trainer coupled with the NEC move left this program in a huge hole. This team blows no matter how you slice it. Hurley undoubtedly inherited a program in shambles but URI Football is on a whole different level of suck.

How can you possibly say Fleming should be held accountable after 4 games when Trainer was given 5 years and produced 12 wins. On top of it he got a $55k buyout. Trainer should have to re-pay anyone who spent good money to see the crap he fielded for the last five years.

I agree with your larger point that there needs to be a level of accountability but Fleming is not the guy who deserves to be facing the heat.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Fleming has been given the basics needed to at least field a competitive program in the near future.

Would he have taken the job, if the administration hadn't at least increased the recruiting budget?

What about promised infrastructure improvements?

He has to produce and soon. I'll agree with TP on this one and say he'll get 3 years, but from what we've seen so far, the mountain to climb looks like Mt. Everest.

To be sure, there's blame to be had all around. If he [Fleming] is trying to do this with one hand tied behind his back, then what's the point?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:I hope Fleming gets a short leash.

Was Hurley given a short leash when he took over?
Were you criticizing Hurley when URI posted 8 wins his first year?
At least give Fleming a 2 year chance to show improvement.
The sky is not falling on the URI Football Program - it already fell, now let's try to clear the skies a bit.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

As much as I'm feeling like it's time to kill football unless someone quickly comes forward with the money to fix Meade, the fact is this program and coach are not going anywhere until at least after the 2016 season. Fleming signed a five year deal before this season, and I don't see them buying out more than 2 seasons. Also, with a buy game next year at Syracuse and the year after against UMass at Gillette I don't see them killing the program with those games on the schedule. So Fleming has at least 3 years to hopefully turn this around, and football has at least 3 years to find its version of T. Boone Pickens.

People keep bringing up the move to the NEC. Last week we got whacked by a team in their second year up from the NEC. This week we got whacked by a team IN the NEC. These are not top notch CAA teams we're losing to. Albany was predicted to be 10th, only ahead of us and Elon and Central Connecticut was predicted to be 4th out of 7 teams in the NEC. We're not losing these games because of the NEC false start. We just can't attract the talent necessary to beat NEC level teams.

People keep saying Fleming shouldn't have a short leash, and that's fair to a certain point, but fact is there's a giant coaching problem here. Fordham scored 47 straight points to start the game, 30 points in ten and a half minutes in the third quarter. Albany scored 37 straight points. Central Connecticut scored 28 straight points in the fourth quarter. Three straight weeks, three straight times this coaching staff couldn't do anything to stop the bleeding. The wheels don't just fall off on this team, the engine drops out and the whole damn car blows up, and that's coaching. The Central Connecticut one is especially disgusting. In the fourth quarter, when our 23 extra scholarships should have been able to wear them down and carry the day, we folded. That's coaching.

Last year we had three wins: Albany, Central Connecticut and Richmond. We've been outscored by two of those teams 75-34. I wonder what it's going to look like October 18th when we go on the road to #20/21 Richmond.
0 x
gorhody22
Jim Eitner

Unread post by gorhody22 »

I just don't see how anyone can complain about Fleming at this point. This is a guy who was the DC for UCF, a team that held South Carolina to 28 pts and also beat baylor in a bcs bowl. That's right Baylor! A team who is known for being one of the most prolific offenses in the country. I don't remember if Fleming actually coached that game against baylor since he took the job here in December, but they were very likely still using his schemes. The guy hasn't even had the chance to bring in a recruiting class of his own yet and in football, especially at this level, freshmen are rarely impact players so Fleming would need at least three years to have this football team remotely look like the way he would want it to look.

With the state of our program and facilities, we hit the lottery with this hire. If you don't think after the season Fleming had at UCF, and his proven track record, he could have gotten a head coaching job at a low level BCS school, you're nuts. We need to at the very least give him the chance to bring some talent in before we start discussing major coaching issues. What is left of this current team are Trainers recruits, and despite the fact they might play hard and give the extra effort, Trainer clearly didn't leave much. This team has won six games in the past three seasons. Losing is all they know. The most difficult thing to change when trying to turn around a program is the culture. Falling behind by double digits is something our team is used to happening every week. Learning how to win is a process that takes much longer than 8-9 months, especially if you don't have players who committed to you coming out of high school, and lack the necessary talent.

As far as I see it, the only thing concerning about Fleming is he's never been anywhere long enough to have to bring in his own recruits, so clearly that will be something he has to prove he can do, especially at URI. But especially for this season and next season too, Fleming deserves a leash as long as they come.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Amazing how some people want to throw football under the bus. you think our basketball program was coming off a NCAA sweet 16 run. I don't think the football team under
Stower's was ever as bad as the basketball under Jerry D, or Baron's first year. Don't you want to see all URI teams succeed? What is this PAROCHIALISM in favor of basketball at the expense of every other URI sport?
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Maybe all the other sports would do better if they had some of the scholarships that are wasted on CAA football.
Give all the " minor" sports like baseball, soccer. track etc a couple more scholarships and I'm sure we would see an improvement . Get rid of football and go watch your local HS play. The effort would be better.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Basketball is my #1 priority, but football is second. If URI ever stopped playing football I would have to think very hard about supporting any of our programs. Not playing football is the only thing worse than playing it terribly. The answer isn't to scrap the program, it's to fix it. It can be done. It just requires commitment.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I am pretty sure everybody would be in favor of fixing it. The problem is, there is no evidence of that happening, and that I think is when people start to throw around the idea of killing it. If there is no plan to fix it and we just keep bleeding money and getting embarrassed every Saturday, then whats the point really?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree that the program has been handled atrociously, but our energy should be spent rallying support to fix it, not undermining it by talking about shuttering it and playing a niche regional sport like hockey. There is no point of having a university without football. College football is college.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Is the financial conditions so bad at URI that we can't afford an Outside Track, stands at the baseball field, and a fix over of the East Stands? URI has a $750 budget I believe. When will the Bond being paid by Student fees for the $21 Million bond for the Ryan Center be paid off? They Ryan Center construction started almost 15 years ago. Let's hope Bond#4 passes, and the student enrollment keeps increasing. I think what we see now in the results of an under investment in the University from the State from the time frame 1975-2000. Sure some things were done, improvements to the Student Union, Library, Ballentine Hall, but it is only in the last 10 years that we have seen new academic buildings.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

URI basketball plays at the Division I level, and not Division I with an asterisk, actual Division I, and they've had success at that level. Competed against and beaten national powers, been on national TV, received national recognition. It hasn't happened frequently enough for anybody but it continues to be an attainable goal at the current funding level (or close to it). Football could have the best season its ever had and none of those things will happen, they are not comparable.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

TruePoint wrote:I agree that the program has been handled atrociously, but our energy should be spent rallying support to fix it, not undermining it by talking about shuttering it and playing a niche regional sport like hockey.
TruePoint, I'm not in favor of murdering football, and I agree that football in the fall is a great part of URI tradition but your characterization of college hockey as a "niche" regional sport is ridiculous. The popularity of college hockey may be "regional" to the northeast and midwest, but it's hardly "niche".
TruePoint wrote:College football is college.
Maybe for you, and in the nation as a whole, but for more New Englanders, college hockey is college. URI is in the minority of DI universities in the region with no varsity hockey team and an even smaller minority among FCS schools without one (the only others are Central Connecticut and Bryant).

Look at numbers when you compare college hockey to FCS in New England.
(All listings are for championships/appearances since 1978 when the I-AA tournament was formed.)

NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision:
Current New England teams: 11
Championships (current teams): 0
Championships (former teams): 1 (UMass '98)
Runners Up (current teams): 0
Runners Up (former teams): 2 (UMass '78 & '06)
Tournament appearances (current teams): 22 (UNH 12, Maine 7, URI 3)
Tournament appearances (former teams): 15 (UMass 8, BU 5, UConn 1, NU 1)
2013 Overall Attendance: 427,170
Avg overall per school: 38,834

NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey:
Current New England teams: 20
Championships (current teams since 1978): 11 (BU, BC, Maine, Harvard, Yale)
Runners Up (current teams 1978-): 16 (BU, BC, UNH, Maine, Quinnipiac, Harvard, PC)
Tournament appearances (current teams 1978-): 137 (BC, BU, UNH, Harvard, Maine, PC, Yale, UVM, UMass-Lowell, Dartmouth, Brown, NU, Merrimack, HC, QU, UMass-Amherst)
2013 Overall Attendance: 942,408
Avg overall per school: 47,120

Hockey is so ubiquitous here that even if you added the three FBS schools (509,539) to the attendance total (whose greater numbers hardly bolster support or interest for FCS teams like Rhody), hockey would still edge football in total attendance! This is without even including any neutral-site games to the hockey total, so no Beanpot (32,341), no Hockey East Finals (23,194), no Frozen Fenway (61,047) and no NCAA Regionals in Worcester and Bridgeport (25,180).

I'm not positing any of this to argue the financial merits to URI of adding hockey or keeping football, I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Just saying that after basketball, hockey is seen by more people, at more schools whose programs have more success than any other sport in New England. There's no reason to scoff at the prospect of Rams hockey finally staking its claim to part of that tradition.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BFC wrote:URI basketball plays at the Division I level, and not Division I with an asterisk, actual Division I, and they've had success at that level. Competed against and beaten national powers, been on national TV, received national recognition. It hasn't happened frequently enough for anybody but it continues to be an attainable goal at the current funding level (or close to it). Football could have the best season its ever had and none of those things will happen, they are not comparable.
Fantastic points.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College hockey and lacrosse are both niche regional sports. They are not really national in scope as evidenced by the small number of schools that field teams and the fact that they are concentrated in certain areas.

Approximate D1 men's schools

Basketball 347
Football 252 (FBS-128 FCS-124)
Hockey 59
Lacrosse 67
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Check out UMaine Baseball field, I think it is also used by a semi pro team
http://www.goblackbears.com/information ... ey_diamond
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/bangor/bangor.htm
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

gorhody22 wrote:I just don't see how anyone can complain about Fleming at this point. This is a guy who was the DC for UCF, a team that held South Carolina to 28 pts and also beat baylor in a bcs bowl. That's right Baylor! A team who is known for being one of the most prolific offenses in the country. I don't remember if Fleming actually coached that game against baylor since he took the job here in December, but they were very likely still using his schemes. The guy hasn't even had the chance to bring in a recruiting class of his own yet and in football, especially at this level, freshmen are rarely impact players so Fleming would need at least three years to have this football team remotely look like the way he would want it to look.

With the state of our program and facilities, we hit the lottery with this hire. If you don't think after the season Fleming had at UCF, and his proven track record, he could have gotten a head coaching job at a low level BCS school, you're nuts. We need to at the very least give him the chance to bring some talent in before we start discussing major coaching issues. What is left of this current team are Trainers recruits, and despite the fact they might play hard and give the extra effort, Trainer clearly didn't leave much. This team has won six games in the past three seasons. Losing is all they know. The most difficult thing to change when trying to turn around a program is the culture. Falling behind by double digits is something our team is used to happening every week. Learning how to win is a process that takes much longer than 8-9 months, especially if you don't have players who committed to you coming out of high school, and lack the necessary talent.

As far as I see it, the only thing concerning about Fleming is he's never been anywhere long enough to have to bring in his own recruits, so clearly that will be something he has to prove he can do, especially at URI. But especially for this season and next season too, Fleming deserves a leash as long as they come.
We can complain about Fleming because his resume isn't nearly as great as it's made out to be. I wrote this when he was hired: "His defenses did very well at UCF. This year they were 3rd in Points Allowed in the American. In 2012 they were 1st in PA in CUSA and 29th nationally. Sounds great, right? Well in 2011, the year before he was on the UCF staff they were also 1st in PA. How much of their defense the last two years was based on what Fleming was doing and how much was him continuing the system George O'Leary already had in place?

Looking at his numbers from 2004-09 when he was DC at Akron is even more worrisome. In '03 Akron was 6th in conference. Fleming takes over and in 04 and 05 they're 7th. 06 they're 5th. 07 they're tied for 5th. 08 back to 7th and 09 they're 9th. Basically in 6 seasons as DC at Akron his defenses were average at best.

So we don't seem to be getting some kind of crazy defensive genius, he did very well at Sacred Heart but how transferable is that to the CAA, and he hasn't been a head coach in 12 seasons"

Looking a little bit closer, I don't think he's ever been the head coach of a team that had scholarship football players until this year. He coached in the NEC in 2000 and 2001. They were definitely non scholarship in 1999. Sometime between 1999 and 2008 they allowed 30 scholarships, though I can't pinpoint when that change happened. So we've got a guy who probably had never been the head coach of a scholarship football program, who hadn't been a head coach in more than a decade, who was an average MAC defensive coordinator who did nothing to improve his teams' defensive standing while he was there, who shined in his last stop when he joined a program that was already running at a high level, and who's current team folds as soon as things get bad. There's a lot to question with his resume and with his current results. Losing because we have inferior talent is one thing. Losing when we should have better talent and not being able to slow things down when things go bad is another thing entirely and both point to coaching issues.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I agree that the program has been handled atrociously, but our energy should be spent rallying support to fix it, not undermining it by talking about shuttering it and playing a niche regional sport like hockey. There is no point of having a university without football. College football is college.
Hockey might be a niche sport, but it's a niche sport in the Northeast, where we happen to be located. FCS football is a niche sport, but it's a division 2 niche sport in the South and West, where we happen to not be located.

Do you think PC thought there was no point in having a university last year when they were playing in March Madness and the Frozen Four tournament because they didn't have a FCS football team getting killed for the third decade in a row with decrepit stands?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I didn't even know PC made the tournament in hockey, so yeah that is kind of my point. I think PC is not a real college partially because it is smaller than a lot of high schools and also because it doesn't play football or baseball. They might as well move that seminary to Eastern Europe.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So hockey is a niche sport because you didn't know who was in the tournament? Great. And you've said football is absolutely vital for URI? So I'm sure you can name all of the teams that played in last year's FCS tournament off the top of your head, right? Can you even name all of the CAA teams that were in the tournament and where they ended up?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

That school that you don't count as a real college made the tourney in it's top two revenue sports last year. It also made the tourney in men's soccer and won a D-1 national title in women's xc. Hockey is the preseason #6 team in the country and picked to win Hockey East.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Puck Frovidence
ARD

As I outlined above, hockey is a regional sport but it is not a "niche" ("a specialized but profitable corner of the market") sport in this region. After basketball it is the most popular college game in New England. More programs, more attendance (both overall and per team), more success, and more TV coverage than FCS football.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I didn't say that college football is vital economically for the school. It is vital for the community at a university. Getting students and alumni together to walk through campus during autumn - being able to hear the band playing and the sounds of pads and helmets colliding and crowds roaring and smell the grills burning and the feel of red and orange leaves crunching under your feet on your way to the stadium? Yeah, that is college. Hockey is a sport of minivans and predawn practices and horrible echoing sounds. More people would pay attention to a FCS football team that was in the top-25 more than they would a hockey team in the top-25, because more people like football. Hockey might be more popular here relative to other places, but it is still a distant fourth among the four majors. That is just the way it is.

Sean, I don't care about any of that. You don't have football and you have 1800 students. You aren't a real college. Even Salve Regina has a football team.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Sean.....TP is being cantankerous....of course pc is a real college......many great colleges and universities do not have football.....it is not the barometer of what is real and what is not.....TP doesn't even believe football is the standard of measurement....

.....as much as Rhody fans don't like pc and friar fans don't like Rhode Island....they both are good college/Universities with some great academic specialties...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

TP,

Of course you don't care. I mentioned things that make your argument moot. Salve has football...does that make them relevant? URIs football team should be euthanized. It's a crying shame that the admin has let it slide into the abyss. It's a far cry from Damien Reilly, Brian Forster and Tom Ehrhardt.

Btw, PC has just under 4,000 students.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR02, I agree with you, and yes, even Sean concerning the FB program.

I'm not convinced in the least that Fleming is the guy for the job.

We will see soon enough.

He's got at most 2 more years to improve the talent here to a competitive level, and even with that, has to show that he can be a head coach at this level.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Lol TP that's just not true. No one's saying you shouldn't enjoy the leaves, the grill, and all that. Homecoming, tailgating and Saturday afternoon football are great. But you're 100% wrong about FCS and hockey's relative popularity. The fact is that for more people in New England, the beautiful leaves are crunching under feet on the way to a college hockey game than FCS football. More than twice as many. The beer is a-flowing and crowd a-roaring in the stands of hockey arenas, not football stadiums. Just because you personally rate hockey at number 4 doesn't make it so for everyone else. Friday night college hockey is a great New England tradition, and just because you've personally stayed away from it doesn't mean it isn't just as iconic an experience as you consider Saturday football to be. Next time you find yourself in Durham or Orono, stop in for a game. You might be surprised at how electric the atmosphere is, how excited all of the students are, and how much fun you have!
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I spend my life inside in a cube farm working, I don't want to spend more time inside a hockey rink on a Friday or Saturday night breathing Zamboni fumes. Play the hockey games outside and I will go.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OBRAM wrote:I spend my life inside in a cube farm working, I don't want to spend more time inside a hockey rink on a Friday or Saturday night breathing Zamboni fumes. Play the hockey games outside and I will go.
^this guy gets it
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

^^Guess you two cube-bros don't do basketball then? I mean what with it being indoors and all the floor buffer fumes.
0 x