That Ram Band History

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

That Ram Band History

Unread post by OBRAM »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: That Ram Band History

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Kind of sparse history. I played sousaphone in 1970; there were 12 of us! As a freshman, I had to carry one of the old brass ones and I swear I was in better shape at the time than the football players. We played at a Patriots-Jets game at Shea Stadium. I almost ran over Joe Namath with the instrument.

Don Burns was an inspirational band director .... good times.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

I was there during the mid 60's and the band was in peak form. They performed at the 1964 Worlds Fair. Rhody 74 is correct about Don Burns being both inspirational and a great motivator. He was our Blue Key advisor along with Dr. Osborne in the Pharmacy School. We had some great parties at their houses down the line. I have fond memories of downing a few martinis with Mal Bowes the Drum Major one afternoon down at Giro's during our senior year. Sadly, the band outperformed the football team on most fall afternoons! I think the yearbook noted that our pro style offense was pro in name only.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Went to school from 67 to 71. Loved "that ram band"! I even have today a Ram Band t-shirt. It truly was "the pride of New England".
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I was at URI from 1975-79 and the band was a good size. UMASS had a terrific band back then. I'm glad to see That Ram Band coming back.
0 x