Football Game 8 10/25: Maine at URI 12pm Homecoming

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Football Game 8 10/25: Maine at URI 12pm Homecoming

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

FCS is Division Two in practice, if not in name.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

No, division 2 is division 2.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Being a bad football program is mortifying. But the answer is to fix it not shut it down.
I completely agree with this point, but the problem that I have is that there seems to be no desire/plan/action to actually fix it. So in that case, yeah I say shut it down because otherwise its just embarrassing. I'm all for fixing it.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree they need a plan. I think they believe in the coach and want to give him some time. Hopefully that is stage one of a plan that we just aren't privy to. I trust that our people are smart enough to know they need a plan if they want to fix the program, and I believe they want to fix the program.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think we all know what is meant by the "Division 2" comment. It's not National Championship level like Basketball is. We'd all be pissed if men's basketball was relegated to a FCS-1AA level like football, right?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Fix it? Where is the cash coming from for that? A broken down high school stadium, a journeyman coach, little fan interestt and also-ran players ... a program that is waiting for the medical examiner.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ramster wrote: In my years we did not win many games but to be honest I could not remotely come close to guessing the teams record in my years in school. It really is not about the record so much in football but in basketball it is.
It ABSOLUTELY IS about the record. It ABSOLUTELY IS about the score. As decrepit as Meade Stadium is, as many features as it lacks, it still has this big board behind the end zone. That board keeps track of how many points you score. These aren't exhibition games. This attitude right here is everything that's wrong with the football program. This line of thinking is the direct descendant of the Baron apologists who said it didn't matter that we weren't going to the tournament because Baron was cleaning up a mess, and he was graduating all his players, and he was doing things "the right way". And everytime we lose and I come here and see people peddling this garbage it makes me sick. The score matters. The record matters. If it doesn't, then we don't belong in the CAA. We don't belong in the NEC. We don't even belong as a club team. If the score and the record don't matter, we're an intramural sport.
Wrong,
My line of thinking is against all who say to shut the football program down.
Sure I want the program to win just like soccer, golf, rowing, girls softball, you name it.
Did people call for shutting the basketball program down after the past 12, count them, 12 barren years? Never never never even close
Do lay off the football program, all the football fans of uri want the team to win. How stupid to think that we wouldn't . Go pick on another sport.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The score obviously does matter, but there are things about football that other sports don't offer that are important and independent of the score.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: Did people call for shutting the basketball program down after the past 12, count them, 12 barren years? Never never never even close
Do lay off the football program, all the football fans of uri want the team to win. How stupid to think that we wouldn't . Go pick on another sport.
I think it's unfair to compare the last 12 years of hoops to what's going on with football right now. Yes the last 12 years of hoops was not what anybody around here would call successful, and thats quite clear by everybody's comments over the time around here. But the basketball program was not even close to as bad as football has been. Yes, we all were extremely upset with the mediocre (that was always the big buzz word around here) performance of the basketball program over the last 12 years, but the truth of the matter is that football will need to have a massive improvement to even get to being mediocre. Right now its just plain embarrassing.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

The revisionist history is that the Baron years were godawful. Truth is they were mediocte. Football is out of its league ... or will be soon. Not competetive at all these days.
0 x