URI QB Luke Casey charged with assault in MD

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: URI QB charged with assault

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

You know the saying nothing good happens after midnight? Well, certainly that applies to these all day music fests. I feel very bad for the families of the kids who died.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Taylor Swift wrote:You know the saying nothing good happens after midnight? Well, certainly that applies to these all day music fests. I feel very bad for the families of the kids who died.
Just to clarify for anyone who hasn't read the article, the kids dying overdosed and don't have anything to do with Luke Casey.

As far as Luke Casey, I think the school screwed up by suspending him unless they know a whole lot more about the situation than what has been reported. Cops are always harassing and indiscriminately arresting kids when they lose control at events like this, because that is what cops do. Sounds more like inept and overzealous cops than anything serious with Luke.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's standard to suspend him indefinitely and then determine how long the suspension will be
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think you should have a standard, though. It should be case by case. Where there is a lot of information available, you can make a decision pretty quickly. Where there isn't, as seems to be the case here, I would wait before I handed down any punishment. Just my approach, but also my instinct is to buck authority so maybe that is part of why I feel that way.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

sounds like he was drunk and got in a fight at the music festival, i think it's a little harsh/inappropriate to assume the police at the festival were arresting people for no reason

indefinitely could be a week it could be more, he was arrest and arraigned the school has to do something
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hope it works out
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:You know the saying nothing good happens after midnight? Well, certainly that applies to these all day music fests. I feel very bad for the families of the kids who died.
Just to clarify for anyone who hasn't read the article, the kids dying overdosed and don't have anything to do with Luke Casey.

As far as Luke Casey, I think the school screwed up by suspending him unless they know a whole lot more about the situation than what has been reported. Cops are always harassing and indiscriminately arresting kids when they lose control at events like this, because that is what cops do. Sounds more like inept and overzealous cops than anything serious with Luke.
Despite kids taking drugs, overdosing, dying, etc., I wonder how many kids "the cops" were able to identify as OVERDOSING AND THEN PROCEEDED TO SAVE THEIR LIVES??????????????????????

You make it sound as if "the cops" were some rival gang at these "events," True Point.
Aside from that, Luke Casey, like it or not, represents the University of Rhode Island. He was arrested. If some nitwit from PC had done the same thing, points-of-view on this board would certainly be directed elsewhere….
Ah, in the meantime, let's see where "University due process" takes this case...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It sounds like this was a 21 and over event, no? So Luke got in trouble for fake ID as well, the report says.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From this article it appears only 3 arrests were made.

2 people have now died so this event is getting significant publicity due to that factor.
Police also issued 50 citations for underage drinking and made three arrests, the Sun reports

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... n-maryland
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the Washington Post:
Howard County police cited 50 people for underage drinking at the concert. One concertgoer was arrested for assaulting an officer, another for a domestic assault and a third for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, police said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vic ... 4/08/04/2e
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying that whatever Casey did is fine. I'm just saying if I were in charge of discipline for URI I'd like to hear the details of specifically what he did before I handed down any punishment. It wouldn't be the first time a kid got a little mouthy or momentarily physically resisted being cuffed and was charged with assaulting an officer. On the other hand, maybe he did do something egregious. I'd want to know that before I suspended anyone, though. And maybe URI knows more than the media. I'm only going by what was in the press.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They suspended him from football activities, they didn't send him to the gulag or even kick him off the team. I have a healthy (and well deserved, IMO) skepticism of the police in general, but I think a school has to react like this. If the charges are unfounded or dropped, all is well, and this is a nice little reminder about decision making for everyone.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agree with ACE!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

he's suspended pending the police investigation, if he's cleared of all wrong doing then he will be reinstated, if it's something serious he could be off the team but most likely it was be for X amount of weeks
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:They suspended him from football activities, they didn't send him to the gulag or even kick him off the team. I have a healthy (and well deserved, IMO) skepticism of the police in general, but I think a school has to react like this. If the charges are unfounded or dropped, all is well, and this is a nice little reminder about decision making for everyone.
Totally hear you. The one place where we apparently disagree is that if the charges are unfounded or dropped then all isn't well. A kid will have missed valuable time in fall camp - time that is especially valuable for a freshman QB who probably won't get a ton of reps in practice once the season starts. I don't see any reason why discipline can't wait until more is known. I'm not saying the whole thing has to be adjudicated before URI can take any action, but the "suspend first, ask questions later" approach has bothered me since I was a student and still bothers me as an adult.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

because if the school does nothing they look bad. Every school suspends a player indefinitely pending the investigation and then once the investigation is complete they determine how long the suspension is or reinstate the player (my thinking is the investigation shouldn't take more than a week or so)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right, but "everyone else is doing it" is no better of an excuse for a university than it is for a middle schooler. The problem I have is that you can't give an innocent person that time back. You can levy the same punishment after you know the facts as you can now; the only difference is that in the former case you know what you're punishing and in the latter you don't.

So many institutions are slaves to optics, and it's wrong. Who cares how it looks? When you can be reasonably certain a punishment is warranted, you hand one down. Until then, it's premature.

(And also, from an optics perspective, immediately suspending the kids makes it look like he's guilty. If it turns out he isn't you can't erase the "URI suspends football player" headlines. If he's guilty, the headlines will be there eventually anyway.)
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Sounds to me like simple assault - a misdemeanor.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

he reportedly punched his former girlfriend in the face
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:he reportedly punched his former girlfriend in the face
Yeah well that would be a problem if true.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

adam914 wrote:
Gross.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Indeed. If true, that is the kind of thing that would warrant a tough penalty. Was kind of hoping he was the one who assaulted the cop.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So we've got a tough guy here...
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:So we've got a tough guy here...
Tough guys don't hit women.
Weaklings do….
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed. I was being facetious.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

I know...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'm pissed because I was really hoping everything would come together for the football team to make a solid rebound and surprise us with more wins this year. So does this mean we will have the kid from BC at quarterback, or was that already expected?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Hard to imagine that a true freshman QB would start out of the gates. I think this is more of a long-term problem.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

According to channel 10, he not only punched her in the face, but jumped on top of her and kept punching. If true, it should be sayonara.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep. That's apparently what the police report says, which WJAR was able to acquire.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

What the hell is wrong with people?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I believe the article also says he resisted arrest a little and spat at a officer
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:I'm pissed because I was really hoping everything would come together for the football team to make a solid rebound and surprise us with more wins this year. So does this mean we will have the kid from BC at quarterback, or was that already expected?
Don't we have a transfer from south Alabama?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:I believe the article also says he resisted arrest a little and spat at a officer
Spitting is a weird thing to do, but if those things were the extent of it I'd sit him down for a week. Beating on a girl is different. He should probably be gone.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah if this is all true, cut the kid loose and never look back.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

here's the quote from the article that references the police report frequently
According to the report, while Casey was being placed under arrest, he yelled obscenities at officers and resisted. When he arrived at the area detention facility, police said Casey blew his nose at detention officers and spat at a correctional officer.
http://www.turnto10.com/story/26204247/ ... girlfriend
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

He's no longer listed on the roster on GoRhody.com

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/roster
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Repeatedly punching a woman? What a dirtbag. Cut all ties. Hopefully he transfers out asap.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

twisted3829 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I'm pissed because I was really hoping everything would come together for the football team to make a solid rebound and surprise us with more wins this year. So does this mean we will have the kid from BC at quarterback, or was that already expected?
Don't we have a transfer from south Alabama?
Here's the QB preview that came out just over a week ago: http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 0728bq4vno

Sounds like Casey was in a three man battle for starting QB with Lowrie from BC and Peavey from South Alabama and based on his performance in the spring might have had the inside track to be QB1.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: URI QB Luke Casey charged with assault in MD

Unread post by neil »

Casey's least worries now is whether he is missing valuable time with the football team.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

If he was in the NFL it would have only gotten him a two game suspension. :shock:
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

TruePoint wrote:

Looks like it was TP, not the school, who formed an opinion without knowing the facts.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

spookydog wrote:
If he was in the NFL it would have only gotten him a two game suspension. :shock:
I was thinking about this just last night. Everyone outside of the NFL and Ravens offices thinks Rice should have gotten a longer suspension, but I don't believe I've heard anyone say he should be banned from the NFL or released by the Ravens. Yet I don't want to ever see Casey in a Rams uniform if the allegations are true and you can argue that a college kid should be more deserving of a second chance than a millionaire adult.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Looks like it was TP, not the school, who formed an opinion without knowing the facts.
I'm confused about what you mean by this. I don't think you read what I was saying very closely. I formed no opinion, other than the school shouldn't act without facts.

If they had all the facts, then they responded appropriately. If they didn't, they were premature even if they ultimately happened to have guessed right. The facts coming out are repulsive and I support a stern response by the school, but they don't make me feel any differently about what I said at the outset. .
0 x