URI Alumni Blast Athletic Dept Performance, Call for Reform

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Alumni Blast Athletic Dept Performance, Call for Ref

Unread post by TruePoint »

:roll:

My issue with this is that most of the problems in the athletic department are due to lag from mismanagement by the previous administration. I think this administration is on the right track, improving the infrastructure, investing in facilities required to making our programs competitive, and making what I consider strong hires in our two most visible sports. In light of the financial constraints facing the department, I'm not sure what else they could have done since Dooley got to URI. I'm inclined to give them enough time to let some actual results come in from the work they've done already.

The analogy I would use is if you bought some farm land that was poorly maintained and you hired a company to come in and get the farm running again. They would have to spend a lot of time just getting the soil ready to plant. Then when the seeds are finally planted and we are waiting for the harvest, you start a petition bitching because you don't see any plants growing in the field. It isn't respecting the order of things.

I 100% think that the alumni should hold the athletic department responsible if they care about athletics, but at the same time you have to be reasonable and account for circumstances. The time for this petition would have been five or six years ago. I think the current group gets it. If alumni really want to help, they should pull out their checkbooks.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So what's Richard Sceery's name on here? Just curious.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Scary Dick?
This present Athletic Department is so different than those in the past.
These people brainstorm on ideas to make things better, and act on those ideas.
I think this petition all comes down to the horrible W-L record
of URI sports.
At some point a turnaround is expected, and sports like football
and women's basketball have not come close to respectibility.
Both programs have new and interesting hires, and for football it may be the last chance.
However, merely changing coaches, while not solving the bigger
problems any new coach inherited, is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote::roll:

My issue with this is that most of the problems in the athletic department are due to lag from mismanagement by the previous administration. I think this administration is on the right track, improving the infrastructure, investing in facilities required to making our programs competitive, and making what I consider strong hires in our two most visible sports. In light of the financial constraints facing the department, I'm not sure what else they could have done since Dooley got to URI. I'm inclined to give them enough time to let some actual results come in from the work they've done already.

The analogy I would use is if you bought some farm land that was poorly maintained and you hired a company to come in and get the farm running again. They would have to spend a lot of time just getting the soil ready to plant. Then when the seeds are finally planted and we are waiting for the harvest, you start a petition bitching because you don't see any plants growing in the field. It isn't respecting the order of things.

I 100% think that the alumni should hold the athletic department responsible if they care about athletics, but at the same time you have to be reasonable and account for circumstances. The time for this petition would have been five or six years ago. I think the current group gets it. If alumni really want to help, they should pull out their checkbooks.
Do you mean the Administration before Thor? or do you mean before Dooley?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Scary Dick?
of URI sports.
Both programs have new and interesting hires, and for football it may be the last chance.
problems any new coach inherited, is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Good post Rod 100% spot on.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

[quote= 8-) "rodfromcranston"]Scary Dick?
of URI sports.
problems any new coach inherited, is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.[/quote]

Agreed, Rod. I also thought of "Scary Dick" too!!! :lol:

Now nice he can be progressive and start a petition, but I wonder if this dude has even donated a dime to the Athletic Department? I'd go with a negative on that one.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: Do you mean the Administration before Thor? or do you mean before Dooley?
Basically before Dooley. I know Thorr has been here longer, but I believe he was handcuffed because athletics was deemphasized prior to Dooley's arrival. Since Dooley has been here you've seen a more aggressive and proactive approach.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Taylor, I'm glad to see you and I think along the same lines.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The petition has 12 signatures. I think an alumni board is a good idea but its scope would have to be very narrow. Thoughts on how to improve the fan experience at games, but not involvement in picking coaches, for instance.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:The petition has 12 signatures. I think an alumni board is a good idea but its scope would have to be very narrow. Thoughts on how to improve the fan experience at games, but not involvement in picking coaches, for instance.
Iggy,
Is there any precedence for Alumni Boards such as is being suggested here?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My guess then is the 12 signatures are the 12 people who think they should be on the board.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'm guessing that Sceery not only wants an alumni board but will insist that he be on it.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wonderful. 12 signatures and someone thinks this
gives them leverage to dictate Athletic Dept. policy?
What planet are these people on?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The Article wrote:Sceery said he and a small group of alumni put the wheels in motion on creating the board, and support among alumni is growing rapidly.
(ATP Emphasis)

The article says support for this is quickly growing. The author should have specifically asked how many people support it because the petition's 12 signatures is very weak support. I did not sign.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Remember, it's golocalprov, and only them, touting
this nonsense.
0 x
URIProactive
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by URIProactive »

golocalprov heading out of context no intent to blast present administration. Previous board was in place at a time URI was ranked 2nd in the A10 3 consecutive years in a row before being disbanded by McElroy one year later. Privacy list of those who wish not to provide personal information to web site will be used and presented only to Dr. Dooley when target is reached. List includes substantial number including influential individuals. Board members will be selected and approved by Dr. Dooley if suggestion is accepted. Goal is to provide constructive advise only that will not include interference of coaches selection. Present administration has been open to suggestions however, many wish to offer advise without internal repercussions based on many comments over the years. Positive or negative feedback welcomed.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote::roll:

I totally agree with this, you reap what you sow. What the writer doesn't seem to get is why we're in this situation. We're not in this situation because we have too many associate AD's, 2 full time fundraisers, and a contracted sports marketing group. We're in this situation because during the halcyon days he points to of 10 or 11 years ago (nice he couldn't even put in the time to do research and be specific about what year he's talking about), we had an overmatched athletic department. If we had 2 full time fundraisers and a contracted sports marketing group 10 or 11 years ago we would be in a much better situation today.

The other thing that annoys me is why is this alumni only? Why does he want to exclude students, faculty, and friends of URI? Of course he's not specific about why it should be alumni only and why excluding so many people would be beneficial. Then again he's not specific about what this alumni advisory board would even hope to solve. So we're supposed to sign his petition so that we can form a board, which I'm sure he'll be prominently involved with, with no clear purpose that alienates large portions of the fanbase? Sounds totally legit, I have no idea why he only has 12 other people backing his plan.

Of course, this might not be an attempt of an alum to make his school better. This might be the actions of someone that's been jilted by the athletic department or someone who's looking to put this board in place to drum up extra business for his company. If you Google Rick Sceery you come across a website for Pegasus Marketing Group, where he's the Director of Sales and Marketing. His profile doesn't mention that he's an alum, but it does have this tidbit: "Rick's phlilinthropic activities included working with the University of Rhode Island to secure a long term multi -million dollar soft drink contract and the creation of the marketing platform for the universities athletic program resulting in a significant increase in contributions and sponsorships."

A focus group made up of randomly selected members of the University community wouldn't be a bad idea, but I have a feeling this guy's vanity project would be. Any group or board should be heavily populated with season ticket holders with some dedicated members of the student body and faculty members. Everyone has a stake in the success of the athletic department, not just alumni.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This petition is 2-3 years late. I've seen more progress toward improvement in the past two years that I have in the previous 10. BTW, the petition just "zoomed" to 13 signatures. Before you know it there will be 20!!!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Of course, this might not be an attempt of an alum to make his school better. This might be the actions of someone that's been jilted by the athletic department or someone who's looking to put this board in place to drum up extra business for his company. If you Google Rick Sceery you come across a website for Pegasus Marketing Group, where he's the Director of Sales and Marketing. His profile doesn't mention that he's an alum, but it does have this tidbit: "Rick's phlilinthropic activities included working with the University of Rhode Island to secure a long term multi -million dollar soft drink contract and the creation of the marketing platform for the universities athletic program resulting in a significant increase in contributions and sponsorships."

This all seems self serving to me. Darly Jasper and his crew are always on the hunt for sponsors, and seem
to be pretty competent at doing so. Why do they need another layer that duplicates what's already in place?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great point, Rhody74!

Seems like we have one supporter of this idea a few posts up. Is URIProactive Rick himself?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

First post is usually someone to push an agenda.
Think you nailed it, ATP.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

If you go to the petition and click on petition right under the signature total, you get this text:

It is our goal to reactivate the URI Athletic Department Advisory Board to provide help where needed for the present and future administrations. Please sign and forward to all fans of URI athletics.

Please note that is was discovered this web site was asking for information that a few wish not to share. Please feel free to email me at rsceery@pegasusmarketing.com and I will add you to a private list that will only be shared with Dr. Dooley.

Thank you.

So this is in fact the Rick Sceery from Pegasus Marketing and not a case of mistaken identity.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Right away I'm turned off because it's a petition. Petitions are used to get someone to do something they won't otherwise do. Why not just contact Thorr and others with the idea. Or hold a meeting of some interested alum/season ticket holders and then try to get a meeting with Thorr et al.
I'm actually intrigued by the idea of a group that gives AD employees the perspective of fans/boosters/alums if there are clear lines and there's not a hidden agenda.
But the petition makes me think there is an agenda.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ok I don't want this to turn into bashing an alum whose heart is undoubtedly in the right place. I don't think I will sign a petition but I don't want to vilify Mr. Screery, either.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

After reading his bio, I really don't get the petition. It says he helped developed the marketing platform for URI athletic department. So he has a relationship with people in the athletic dept. Call them up and pitch the advisory group idea.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URIProactive wrote:golocalprov heading out of context no intent to blast present administration. Previous board was in place at a time URI was ranked 2nd in the A10 3 consecutive years in a row before being disbanded by McElroy one year later. Privacy list of those who wish not to provide personal information to web site will be used and presented only to Dr. Dooley when target is reached. List includes substantial number including influential individuals. Board members will be selected and approved by Dr. Dooley if suggestion is accepted. Goal is to provide constructive advise only that will not include interference of coaches selection. Present administration has been open to suggestions however, many wish to offer advise without internal repercussions based on many comments over the years. Positive or negative feedback welcomed.
In the interest of having a dialogue on this subject and assuming you're Mr. Sceery or someone close to him, I do have a few questions or concerns.

1. Why the exclusion of faculty, students, and other assorted friends of URI such as season ticket holders or donors who might not be alumni?
2. If someone is afraid of internal repercussions as you call them, how can they be an effective board member? Eventually the board's ideas will have to be presented to the powers that be. Will the members of the board serve anonymously?
3. What avenues will there be for people not on the board to present their ideas? If the board meets quarterly will there be an annual town hall type meeting so alumni can be sure they're being properly represented by the board and for their ideas to be heard?
4. What safeguards will be put in place to ensure that members of the board will be serving for the betterment of the community as a whole and not for their own personal betterment, fiscally, professionally or otherwise.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

5. Have you approached Thorr or others in the department with this idea? If so, what was their reaction? If not, why not?
6. You say "no intent to blast present administration," but the petition points out that there are more administrators with less results -- that's not being critical?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

7. Even if you don't wish to serve on the board you obviously have things you're looking to change. So if you were a board member, what would your suggestions be? What are the issues with the athletic department as you see them? What are quick fixes that could be implemented cheaply and still reap benefits? What are long range projects that would cost more in time and money but come with a bigger reward?
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Some points of clarification: When a board existed in the past it was not confined to alumni and there were student positions (although as I recall they rarely attended). The board was not dismantled by McElroy. He stripped the board of its powers. Previously the board had controlled where the money raised by the RIRAA was spent. The fact that the donors had this much control in the first place bordered on the insane. Once the board's main power was removed it became an advisory committee or assisted in the cultivation of new donors. It was not officially disbanded until maybe a couple years ago.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.