Baseball Coach Jim Foster Accepts Pitching Coach Role at BC

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Baseball Coach Jim Foster Accepts Pitching Coach Role at BC

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This would be a huge blow to the program IMO.

http://soaringtoglory.com/2014/07/11/so ... im-foster/

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: BC Trying to Woo URI Baseball Coach Jim Foster

Unread post by RF1 »

It would appear that this possible move is because Foster is fearful of losing his job. URI would need more than one bad season to can him. This makes me think he might not like the near term prospects for his program. If he was confident of future success, he would not be looking at an assistant coaching job.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1, I hope the way you're reading the tea leaves in regards to the future of the program is wrong, but it does make sense. Why would he leave URI for an assistant job at BC? I'm sure the money is comparable, but would it be significantly better? Based on the article it seems like their manager is on the hot seat, but I doubt he'd have a better shot at becoming the next manager at BC by being on the staff of a manager being shown the door, and I can't imagine he'd have better prospects for moving up the manager ladder as an assistant at a down program in the ACC in general.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

When the Football team was going to drop down to a lower scholarship division the baseball team was suppose to get an increase in scholarships. When football committed back to the CAA, did baseball not get the promised increase? Did coach Foster need to renege on scholarships, losing kids he was counting on? Did this hurt his connections in the local baseball community? I don't know for sure if this did happen but it may be why Coach would be looking at other offers.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Those are legitimate concerns, and I could see him looking to move on if that's what happened. I'm just surprised that move would be to become the BC bench coach, especially when the manager could be on the hot seat.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

I do not believe any promised scholarships were withdrawn.
Rhody Baseball has had lots of upgrades.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Kendall Rogers, a writer for perfectgame.org says Foster has been hired by BC with the announcement coming today or tomorrow. About an hour before he wrote that tweet Thorr tweeted "always take responsibility for your actions. #dontblameothers". Not sure if the two things are related.

Aaron Fitt of Baseball America says Jayson King of Franklin Pierce would be number 1 on his list if he were us. Kendall Rogers believes it to be a terrific recommendation.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Bill Koch confirms Foster has accepted the pitching coach's job/recruiting coordinator at Boston College. Huge lose to the program and URI athletics as a whole. I'm surprised to see him leave for a pitching coach's position...I'm also starting to see a small rivalry brewing with BC after this and Preston Murphy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Foster is leaving for more money as the PITCHING COACH and recruiting coordinater at BC, then that tells us the state of things in the athletic program at URI are really that bad.

Or maybe it's not about just the money, but overall conditions and or outlook for success here. Either way, it's bad.

Right now, I would guess if it's not men's basketball or football, there isn't much money left for the other sports, with the possible exception of women's BB.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Anyone-have you seen Rhody's new baseball field or SADC?
Foster wants to leave,maybe has his reasons. To blame the first class baseball facilities at Rhody or the $$ put into it,is a slap in the face to those who contributed $$.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Baseball Coach Jim Foster Accepts Pitching Coach Role at

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I still don't get this. BC has worse facilities and a worse baseball program than URI. But Gambino (BC's head coach) is on the hot seat. Is it possible they've offered Foster a coach-in-waiting type deal?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This gives Thorr a chance to put his stamp on the program. he didn't hire Foster. Now he needs to go find someone to build on what Foster started. Because of a huge donation, the baseball team has good facilities and they've had some success. I would think there would be interest in the job.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:If Foster is leaving for more money as the PITCHING COACH and recruiting coordinater at BC, then that tells us the state of things in the athletic program at URI are really that bad
I would caution against drawing those types of conclusions without more information. You know that they say about assuming.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:This gives Thorr a chance to put his stamp on the program. he didn't hire Foster. Now he needs to go find someone to build on what Foster started. Because of a huge donation, the baseball team has good facilities and they've had some success. I would think there would be interest in the job.
Many people at URI seem to compare facilities at URI to what was at the school before instead of what other schools have. Using this method, the baseball facilities and SADC look great. When they are compared elsewhere, they are nothing all that special.

The URI baseball facilities are ok. The turf field is a great playing surface and the indoor hitting center is nice. Bill Beck Field (as a baseball stadium in total) and fan support is not first first class. It does not even compare well to other New England schools such as UConn and UMaine.

Maine
Mahaney Diamond seating for 3,500 fans, with 1,000 chair back seats and an observation for Diamond Club Members
http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-ba ... 0331eg7dbr

UConn
J.O. Christian Field features permanent bleacher seating behind home plate and along the first and third base lines. Crowds at J.O. Christian Field have been in excess of 2,000 fans.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/facilities/ ... field.html
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This move smells to me like Foster was fearful of losing his job at URI. He just had a miserable season but was retained. My first assumption would be that he did not expect the program to be very successful in the next few years. Otherwise he would have been kept and given an extension. The only other plausible reason for taking a lower level position elswhere would be due to a major conflict with someone in the athletic dept that could not be resolved.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Comparing URI to UConn is pointless. And Maine has had a strong baseball program for years. It would be like if Maine fans compared their basketball program with URI's.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

The point inferred is URI baseball has lousy facilities and no $$ support.
How so?
RF1,I agree with IGGY the comparison to UConn and Maine baseball is pretty poor.
A lot of the alums who had a lot of success playing at Rhody and kids at D1 schools say Rhodys facilities are great in many regards. Given they have seen many other schools,I agree with them. Is there room for infrastructure improvement or coaches that can't sell it =yes!! But,the facilities excuse is rapidly losing steam.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There certainly has been a lot of movement over the years with coaching staffs between BC and URI.

BC lures our coaches away to new postions in Chestnut Hill - Al Skinner, Preston Murphy, Jim Foster

URI hires coaches that were pushed out at BC - Kathy Inglese, Preston Murphy (when Al was fired)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hal Kopp wrote:The point inferred is URI baseball has lousy facilities and no $$ support.
How so?
RF1,I agree with IGGY the comparison to UConn and Maine baseball is pretty poor.
A lot of the alums who had a lot of success playing at Rhody and kids at D1 schools say Rhodys facilities are great in many regards. Given they have seen many other schools,I agree with them. Is there room for infrastructure improvement or coaches that can't sell it =yes!! But,the facilities excuse is rapidly losing steam.

I did not infer that URI has lousy facilities and no $ support. My contention was that URI's facilities are ok but not all that special when compared elsewhere and there is not much fan support. I still feel that Bill Beck Field as a stadium is lacking from the fan experience. If it is unfair to compare URI baseball facilities to other New England state universities, who then should they be compared to? Do you think they rate well for the A-10?

GMU
http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =205054705

Richmond
http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArti ... =205184152

Dayton
http://daytonflyers.com/sports/2013/8/8 ... h=baseball

St. Louis
http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle ... =205246203

Davidson
http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/sports/ ... ilson.aspx
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

RF1, OK. live in Florida and can assure there is a lot of interest in uri sports amongst HS athletes and coaches.
I do not think the Rhody coaches have been able to sell what the school has to offer.
Dayton and Richmond are that much more attractive than Rhody??
A better example may be mens outdoor track,aren't they consistently A10 champs or top teams?
They do not even have an outdoor track or is it a crummy one ??? How the blank does that happen?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, Iggy, but I disagree with you. Frankly, it's important for URI to benchmark all its programs against the best programs and both cold weather UConn and Maine are not top standards. Your information on Maine is particularly dated, since Maine's heyday in baseball was in the early eighties when they went to the College World Series on six occasions, but the last one was in 1986. In fact Maine's baseball record over the last 9 years is just bit above the .500 mark.

But the disturbing news with the Foster departure is that it reflects a big problem at URI where salaries in all functional areas with a few exceptions are below the competitive levels of peer institutions. You can thank your crackerjack legislature for that development.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

0 x
Go Rhody!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Andrew wrote:

If the salary of the URI Head Coach is significantly less than the salary of an assistant coach at BC, there is a problem. A salary difference for the head jobs at each school would be expected. A lower level position at BC making much more than the head job at URI is not acceptable. If this salary structure is accurate, it would mean that URI will have trouble keeping any successful baseball coach in Kingston. A URI head coach would not even have to hold out for a head job to greatly improve their pay.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Not sure if that rule is possible when Big-5 conference (BCS) conferences are competing. I would agree that URI should pay competitively, but it's unrealistic to think a non-revenue sport head coach at URI should always be paid more than an assistant at a BCS school.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

With limited dollars we need to have our football, and both basketball coaches paid at a competitive level. The other coaches pay cannot rise to a level which causes our top three to be diminished. In a perfect world we could pay them all competitively. The world isn't perfect.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I believe Foster became the top assistant at BC so it's not just an assistant position
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote:Sorry, Iggy, but I disagree with you. Frankly, it's important for URI to benchmark all its programs against the best programs and both cold weather UConn and Maine are not top standards. Your information on Maine is particularly dated, since Maine's heyday in baseball was in the early eighties when they went to the College World Series on six occasions, but the last one was in 1986. In fact Maine's baseball record over the last 9 years is just bit above the .500 mark.

But the disturbing news with the Foster departure is that it reflects a big problem at URI where salaries in all functional areas with a few exceptions are below the competitive levels of peer institutions. You can thank your crackerjack legislature for that development.
My point is if you're going to compare URI to 'other New England schools' then let's do that, instead of cherry picking two with better facilities.
The facilities at URI are fine and are not the problem. Scholarships and salaries, however .,.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Last year the BC-FSU series was moved from BC to URI because the field was unplayable. There must be a good relationship between the athletic departments at the two schools. I suspect the movement of staff was handles professionally.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 years ago Kendall Rogers, a writer for perfectgame.org says Foster has been hired by BC with the announcement coming today or tomorrow. About an hour before he wrote that tweet Thorr tweeted "always take responsibility for your actions. #dontblameothers". Not sure if the two things are related.

Aaron Fitt of Baseball America says Jayson King of Franklin Pierce would be number 1 on his list if he were us. Kendall Rogers believes it to be a terrific recommendation.
hmmm....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Northwestern fires Foster for bullying

Unread post by RF1 »

Foster, the head coach with the most wins in URI baseball history left for more money at BC in 2014. He was later head coach at Army before moving on to Northwestern.

Northwestern fires baseball coach Jim Foster after bullying allegations
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ources-say
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Baseball Coach Jim Foster Accepts Pitching Coach Role at BC

He says he left for more money, but reading through some of the stuff posted at the time I now wonder if he really left because of conduct behind the scenes and he told reporters it was more money
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeez what is going on @ NW , football and baseball coaches fired on back to back days unreal
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago He says he left for more money, but reading through some of the stuff posted at the time I now wonder if he really left because of conduct behind the scenes and he told reporters it was more money
I read on ESPN.com this morning that he got fired....and now he says he left for more money? Oooookaaaay......
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago He says he left for more money, but reading through some of the stuff posted at the time I now wonder if he really left because of conduct behind the scenes and he told reporters it was more money
I read on ESPN.com this morning that he got fired....and now he says he left for more money? Oooookaaaay......
He got fired by Northwestern after a lengthy review of allegations. I do not think he disputes this. The supposed leaving for more money was the curious move back in 2014 going from head coach at URI to an assistant role at BC. I thinkRhodyRam02 was questioning that reason given what is now known about Foster.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 8 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago
He got fired by Northwestern after a lengthy review of allegations. I do not think he disputes this. The supposed leaving for more money was the curious move back in 2014 going from head coach at URI to an assistant role at BC. I thinkRhodyRam02 was questioning that reason given what is now known about Foster.
Got it. That (possible 'story') makes more sense
0 x