Rhody Softball Players Say They Were Bullied

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody Softball Players Say They Were Bullied

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Oh fun.. What a week.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by ramster »

Ouch
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

That was, well, was, well, was……EFFIN' PAINFUL. Not the usual three or four outbursts during a four-year period that an AD or COLLEGE PRESIDENT can ignore….
TB's quotes don't make him look good at all. He read like a wet noodle making lame excuses…..
Horrible…..
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This coach's record is 80-210 during her tenure?

Why haven't they canned her? Especially with the issues reported by so many?

Makes no sense at all.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

For one thing, the article certainly was in-depth. It wasn't a two or three paragraph story thrown up against the wall.
It read like a Sports Illustrated investigation…….
Someone has a lot 'splainin' to do……..
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe it's because who cares about Rhody women's softball?

That doesn't make it right however.

Something tells me, now that this is out in public, that URI will find "just cause" to not renew her contract. Hell, even without the accusations, she should have been shown the door years ago, what with the team's record.

What is with URI NOT firing coaches that should be fired? Maybe they really DON'T care about the minor sports?

Thorr has said they want to win in all sports they are involved with. Doesn't apply in this case, so it makes you wonder....
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Major, minor….shouldn't make any difference at all. If true, it's a disgrace to be ignored by anyone, especially those in positions of leadership.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's clear that those in power listened to the complaints, but did nothing about it except to suspend her for 3 weeks.

Why nothing else was done, I guess URI has their reasons, but the whole thing just seems ridiculous.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Looks like we finally made the Big Time. We're handling these types of issues just like the big boys do...sweep, sweep.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don't know guys - I read the article and was not that shocked by the way the staff and team was treated. You aren't allowed to be a bitch now? I mean can her for sucking, but if she won you would not hear this crap. Seemed very tame.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rhodylaw wrote:I don't know guys - I read the article and was not that shocked by the way the staff and team was treated. You aren't allowed to be a bitch now? I mean can her for sucking, but if she won you would not hear this crap. Seemed very tame.
….I'll kill you…., or words to that effect?????????????????????????
Last edited by bressler3south 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The URI softball record over the last decade as been pathetic. This was once a team that played UCLA in the NCAA tournament way back when. Deb Smith was fired in 2008 after a number of poor seasons and Erin Layton was hired as her replacement. Layton is now in her sixth season and has never had a winning season or come close to one. Her crowning achievement was to record a 21-32, .396 season in 2011. Her composite record to date stands at 82-213, .277. I don't care what she accomplished at Marist, she is a failure in Kingston. We should never excuse bad performances because no cares about softball. Mediocrity is mediocrity and should never be tolerated no matter what the circumstances are.

In May, Erin Layton should be fired for performance reasons period!!!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I was at the gym and I saw this story come on the other night. I plugged my headphones in to hear the story and I was shocked. There is being a bitch, but there is also being a whackadoo crazy train. The amount of time that went into investigating this story makes it look pretty major. I know coaches are going to be tough on their players, but for an assistant coach to come forward saying she endured mental anguish, too? Not normal. Horrible. What a failure of a human being.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am sorry but this does not sound like bullying - people need to grow some thicker skin. Did she ever touch any of the players? I would flip my shit too if I saw one of my injured players playing catch in the gym when they are supposed to be resting. As for the assistant coach, it sounds like she has a tough boss. A lot of us have tough bosses. Sorry this is very weak on the level of what you hear going on in athletics. My guess is the team does not like her, wants her fired, complained to Thorr and did not get sympathy so they ran to the media to pull out the "bullying" card.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They need a new coach-period.

82-213 should get ANYBODY fired. How she has lasted this long is a joke.

With her rep, who would want to play for her?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Embarrassed by this. Thorr needs to do what is right.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Just noticed that there are comments posted on the story from her former players at two other schools backing up what the URI players are saying. Thorr blew this one.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The softball season ended yesterday, so don't be surprised to hear an announcement any day now that Layton's contract won't be renewed.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

How could it ever? At least it's easy to "Say" it's all wins-losses.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think Thorr made an error in judgment to let her finish the season (after doing a poor background check when he hired her), but at least she'll be gone now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:I think Thorr made an error in judgment to let her finish the season (after doing a poor background check when he hired her), but at least she'll be gone now.
My guess is that Dooley was involved as was the URI Legal Department, plus Union Representation.
Having waited this long was a mistake in it's own right, but having gotten to be this late in the game probably makes the most sense for both sides to just let the contract run out. Certainly cleaner for both sides - and only had to wait a month or so for the season to play out.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Good point, ramster.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

It's June 2. Why is she still listed as the coach?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Looks like there will not be a change. Hard one to figure.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Really? That's a poor decision. Bad press, and a terrible win-loss record.
0 x
Go Rhody!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wow! Surprise.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

She's been offered a contract. Should be finalized soon
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Offered a contract? What a joke! Who is she blackmailing and with what? This is very poor behavior by the university, it smacks of a 'we don't really care about low-profile women's sports' attitude, and while I don't care enough or have the time to attend softball games I do care that the institution I boldly associate myself with is continuing this terrible relationship. Even if there were no bullying, she is clearly not getting the job done, but what do we care? it's just some chicks playing with balls, right?!? allowing this situation to continue is asinine and insulting to fans/supporters of the university's athletic programs. I'd like an official and detailed release by the university with the reasons why I should continue to support URI Athletics in the face of this debauchery. Obviously I'm not going to ignore Rhody Hoops, but I am moved to speak with those members of my family that donate to the university annually, to make sure they are aware of the gross mishandling of this particular program's administration. This year the university may receive a note of my disappointment instead of a monetary pledge.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:Offered a contract? What a joke! Who is she blackmailing and with what? This is very poor behavior by the university, it smacks of a 'we don't really care about low-profile women's sports' attitude, and while I don't care enough or have the time to attend softball games I do care that the institution I boldly associate myself with is continuing this terrible relationship. Even if there were no bullying, she is clearly not getting the job done, but what do we care? it's just some chicks playing with balls, right?!? allowing this situation to continue is asinine and insulting to fans/supporters of the university's athletic programs. I'd like an official and detailed release by the university with the reasons why I should continue to support URI Athletics in the face of this debauchery. Obviously I'm not going to ignore Rhody Hoops, but I am moved to speak with those members of my family that donate to the university annually, to make sure they are aware of the gross mishandling of this particular program's administration. This year the university may receive a note of my disappointment instead of a monetary pledge.
I am surprised she wouldn't have stepped down or moved on to another school on her own with what came out in the press and on TV. Certainly had to have negatively impacted recruiting.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Even if her behavior was literally perfect, her win-loss record does not warrant a renewed contract.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Your right! It doesn't. I wonder if the contract was offered as a way to summarily dismiss the accusations? I can't think of another single reason to reinvest, if I cared about softball as I do basketball I'd be livid about this turn of events, based mainly on the win/loss record. Without clear info as to the reasoning behind the extension offer, I can't help but feel this is a black eye to the university, I'm a man who doesn't get embarrassed easily, but this is an embarrassing non-endorsement of women's sports by Rhody.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Add me to the list of people (everyone but Thorr and Coach Layton apparently) who have no idea what Thorr is doing on this one, and I say that as someone who didn't think she necessarily should have been fired when the story first came out. We only heard the side of a few of the participants, so it's hard to know what the full story is, and firing her could have led to lawsuits. But it seems a no-brainer to not renew the contract of a coach who has gone 27-90-2 in conference play and whose best season was in 2010 when the team went 8-12 in conference and tied for 6th. If you let her go you lift the cloud hanging over softball, she can't sue for wrongful termination because she hasn't been terminated, and you might get a coach who can improve the program. And by keeping her, you get what positive benefits?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

So they extended her contract for a year but she has to reach unreachable goals or she's done. So one more year. I just don't understand why they would risk leaving her in charge. This could blow up in URI's face at a time when the national media love the coaches abuse story
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I've heard that the stories about her are absolutely true.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Channel 10 got contacted by more people after their initial story. The numbers are staggering
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote:So they extended her contract for a year but she has to reach unreachable goals or she's done. So one more year. I just don't understand why they would risk leaving her in charge. This could blow up in URI's face at a time when the national media love the coaches abuse story
So strange, then why not just cut the cord now. There has to be more to the story that we don't know...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Yep, it feels very wrong and with no info as to why she is a good candidate to stay on, my speculative imagination is running wild, maybe she has something on someone? Maybe she Lewinsky'd someone important at the university and has the proof? It feels as though someone above her, in the administrative net, is protecting her for some shadowy reason. It's a real gamble and the potential benefits vs the potential costs are ridiculous. Potential benefits seem meager at best, while potential costs seem immense.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I haven't really been following this closely, but I'm tempted to write the athletic department to express my disappointment and ask for some sort of explanation. Others concerned over this situation should do the same.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011