CAA Football: Plans for new UNH Stadium

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: CAA Football: Plans for new UNH Stadium

Unread post by bressler3south »

Nice…..but the track detracts from the intimacy that could be created.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

the track also creates more distance between fans and the field. I hate it, but the stands look great.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If this gets built, Meade is alone as the worst facility in the CAA.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I agree about the track. I would love to see a facility of this caliber in Kingston.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Any person of common sense and an understanding of America I think would expect URI to have a facility like this. More than anything it just appears functional.

Athletics are a part of our educational system and a part of our society. No reason our stadium is so bad.

This isn't any more than what they need. Even with the price$$? It costs what it costs, a functional facility isn't going to tank the state.

If anything Meade's current condition will give assurance that uri won't come calling for more money for like another 100 years.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think URI thought the few improvements like the west stands, new covers on east stands and the signs on the stands wall would be enough until maybe money was found for a new stadium, but its not.
0 x
GO RAMS
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /131029734

This plan is getting a lot of push back from some legislators.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

PC is trying to build a new soccer and lacrosse stadium.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Speaking of ideas, why doesn't the baseball team schedule some games at McCoy Stadium? Might increase awareness of the program and maybe get some good teams to play us on a neutral field.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

theblueram wrote:Speaking of ideas, why doesn't the baseball team schedule some games at McCoy Stadium? Might increase awareness of the program and maybe get some good teams to play us on a neutral field.
I like that idea!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't think the problem is getting people to come play here, it's that by the time the weather is nice enough to play up here everyone is in conference play. URI plays a handful of home games before conference play
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

True Twisted, but they still have midweek games during conference play against OOC opponents. Maybe if they played a day game before a scheduled Pawsox game, you might get some additional interest. Which leads to another idea. Why don't we play the Pawsox at McCoy during conference play as an exhibition? That would be awesome!!!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:Speaking of ideas, why doesn't the baseball team schedule some games at McCoy Stadium? Might increase awareness of the program and maybe get some good teams to play us on a neutral field.
I imagine that there is a minimum cost to open up the building for that. A better idea might be to see if they can get involved with Fenway Park, which is open everyday anyway, and because the Boston Red Sox are probably more willing to do it for charity purposes than Pawtucket. Host a New England college baseball tournament across a Friday, Saturday and Sunday that the Sox aren't there for anyway.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: I imagine that there is a minimum cost to open up the building for that. A better idea might be to see if they can get involved with Fenway Park, which is open everyday anyway, and because the Boston Red Sox are probably more willing to do it for charity purposes than Pawtucket. Host a New England college baseball tournament across a Friday, Saturday and Sunday that the Sox aren't there for anyway.
Its been done before.

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-basebl ... 13aaa.html
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I guess I will add my two cents, I agree it looks good, but the track does not belong in a football stadium, plus I don't think this is large enough for regulation sized soccer.
I only know of Brown and U of Buffalo that has a track around the football field, Maybe Nova has it also. Schools that are short on space (URI not among them and has lots of space) sometimes put the track around the football field.
0 x
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

I think it would be good if they could play a game in McCoy. Given the fact that it's happening in Rhode Island - nothing is ever easy!

UMaine really misses the boat not playing at least one home game at Hadlock Field in Portland ( Home of the AA Seadogs) They do schedule a hockey game at the Civic Center each year which in their good years always sold out. It's that damn Bangor - Orono mentality that doesn't help their image in the state's biggest marketing area.

Given the success of the program, I've always been dismayed why we can't have a decent outdoor track. Especially so considering our beautiful indoor facility. I would agree if it's ever built that it needs to be outside the football facility.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody4012016 wrote:PC is trying to build a new soccer and lacrosse stadium.
Who cares - as long as no tax dollars are used for it (unlike the Dunkin Dump), then they can build what they want.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

This is awesome. Yes please.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't think your average URI baseball game or even the A10 conference tournament would generate the kind of interest to make it worth it for the PawSox to open up McCoy. And the PawSox would never play us in an exhibition game during their regular season. That said, a doubleheader with the PawSox could be really effective for all parties. Looking at the schedule there are a good amount of games this year that would work, and the only changes necessary would maybe move up or move back the URI game by an hour or so. On April 4th URI has a home game at 3, the PawSox at 7. The 9th the PawSox play at 12:05, URI plays Bryant at 3:30. The 18th URI at 3, PawSox at 6:15. The 22nd URI is at Bryant at 3:30, Pawsox at 6:15. The 23rd URI at 3:30, PawSox at 6:15. The 25th URI at 3, PawSox at 6:15. You're telling me you wouldn't play hookie on April 9th if it's a nice day to see the PawSox and URI vs. Bryant? It would be a cool event for the players, a potentially nice recruiting tool, and it could generate some nice extra revenue for the PawSox.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UNH starts the fundraising campaign for their enhanced stadium which will seat 10-12,000.

http://www.unhstadium.com/UNHstadium.pdf

Once completed, there will be no question which stadium is the absolute worst in the CAA. URI will then finally have something football related to be first in (worst stadium).
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Well it looks great, I don't like the track on the field, but who am I to criticize the stadium, considering URI does not even have any aspirations of a new stadium, just a rehash of Meade.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

UNH's isn't really a new stadium either though, it's a rehash of Cowell.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Project underway at UNH

Unread post by OBRAM »

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/more-ne ... seats.html

Can URI raise $5 million to do over Meade?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Renovations are currently underway at Cowell Stadium and it should be fully renovated in time for next football season.

http://unhstadium.com/projectupdates/

http://unhstadium.com/gallery/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raG321xDor4
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Cowell Stadium might serve as more then just an inspiration for improving Meade, it might give us a road map on how to fund it as well. New Hampshire treats UNH pretty much how RI treats us, so they weren't getting money from the state, and I think we all agree we're probably not going to get state funding for Meade. From their stadium website:

"Q: How is the project being funded?
A: The stadium project is expected to cost $25 million and is slated for completion in August 2016. The university is committed to raising at least $5 million in private support and it will leverage internal borrowing for the additional $20 million. UNH will be paying the loan back over the next 20 years at the prevailing treasury rate.

Q: Is state money being used to fund this project?
A: No state dollars will be used for the new stadium. No state dollars were used to finance the Whittemore Center in 1993. A key component for this project is that at least 20% of the total cost will be privately raised with the remainder coming from internal borrowing. Internal borrowing against unrestricted net assets is a prudent way to finance capital projects and has been used by our campuses for decades."

Is there political will in the URI community to get this done? Does the administration understand a new stadium is necessary so football can be competitive, so fans can be safe and so the university can hold more events and is more then something we can put off indefinitely to some sunnier day? Are the rumors true that the administration wants to see the football program have some success before they commit to doing more for the program? If so, is that a realistic plan? Is this a funding mechanism we could use? Would the fan base be able to raise around $5 million for a refurbished Meade Stadium?

There are a lot of questions, but there is one thing we can be sure of. We're far past the time when action is needed and kicking the can any further down the road is no longer an option. If URI as an institution isn't capable of such a seemingly reasonable funding plan and if the fan base can't raise a healthy amount of money to make this happen then it seems like football isn't too important to us as a community and we're better off folding it and spending the money more wisely. A competitive football program is ok even if it isn't profitable because of intangible benefits to a university. However, losing $500,000 a year to get your teeth kicked in at an unsafe stadium isn't a wise investment and it doesn't reflect what the university should be about.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Providence College and Suffolk Law School grads who dominate the state house would smile the day URI drops football
URI simply needs to develop a short, medium and long term plan for the team and the facilities and let us know what it is
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I love conspiracy theories, but I don't think politicians in the state house give a second thought about URI football.

And we're beyond putting together a plan. The plans should have been in place long before now. The stands are a danger and that isn't a surprise, it's been known for years. It's time to cure or kill.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not conspiracy. The State House is loaded with PC Graduates.

Perfectly seen when the State Legislature passed a resolution wishing PC good Luck in the NCAA Tournament the same year that the URI Rams were going. Maybe not conspiracy but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....................
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Much better than what URI has, but I don't like a track around a stadium, the fans get to far back.
I rather have a New Meade build somewhere other than next to White Horn Creek that has flooded in the past.
Maybe a track can be build where Meade is now.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Track around the field is not ideal. But this isn't Michigan or Ohio State. UNH (nor URI) doesn't have the cash to build a separate football stadium and separate track.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I doubt there is enough room at the current Meade location for a track around a football stadium. The SE corner would be way over into White Horn Creek.
URI has an outside track, condemned now, existing off Plains road, I once went to a High School Track meet there, almost 30 years ago. That site is OK, no need to put a track around a football field.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

If you have a tight budget and football doesn't much for the school, then it's prudent to combine the football and track stadiums together. See Brown Stadium. Would be nice if URI could host the high school state track championships. And they could host NCAA regional competitions too.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Brown Stadium for football could be better without a track. Brown has a land problem, need to combine football and track, URI does not have a available land problem.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Q: How is the project being funded?
A: The stadium project is expected to cost $25 million and is slated for completion in August 2016. The university is committed to raising at least $5 million in private support and it will leverage internal borrowing for the additional $20 million. UNH will be paying the loan back over the next 20 years at the prevailing treasury rate.

Q: Is state money being used to fund this project?
A: No state dollars will be used for the new stadium. No state dollars were used to finance the Whittemore Center in 1993. A key component for this project is that at least 20% of the total cost will be privately raised with the remainder coming from internal borrowing. Internal borrowing against unrestricted net assets is a prudent way to finance capital projects and has been used by our campuses for decades.

Q: How much money is invested into athletic facilities at UNH?
A: The last significant investment UNH made into its athletic facilities was the Whitt, which opened in 1995, nearly 20 years ago. Since 1991, $687 million has been invested in facility projects at UNH. 50% of that has been spent on academic buildings, 30% on student housing and dining, 15% on infrastructure (such as power, water, roads and grounds) and 6% on athletic and student recreation facilities.

Q: What new features will the stadium have?
A: The facility will offer increased and improved seating, lights which will allow for night games, state-of-the art broadcast and WiFi capability, concessions, restrooms, social and gathering areas and a special student section.

Q: How can I help contribute to this historic project?
A: By clicking on the following link, giving.unh.edu/stadium you can help shape the proud Wildcat tradition. If you are interested in larger philanthropic support, please

Q: What type of outside events will be held at the stadium?
A: UNH and the Town of Durham will collaborate to host state, regional, and national competitions and events like the New Hampshire Special Olympics, concerts, and high school championship games at the new facility attracting visitors from beyond the greater Durham area and boosting local economy.

Q: What is the timeline of this project?
A: New lights will be added to the existing facility over the summer of 2014 in addition to necessary seating and press box upgrades in time for the 2014 season to kickoff. Construction on the West side of the facility will begin after the completion of the 2014 season. The project is set to be completed in August 2016.

Q: Will there be premium seating options?
A: UNH Athletics is committed to providing a first-class game day experience for all. Premium seating opportunities will be available and information will be forthcoming. Continue to check this site for the latest information.

-----------
Comments are typical
----------- Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.

LEONARD CANNON said Friday, September 9, 2016 at 7:40 am It's about time! The program has been growing dramatically for years and they haven't done a stadium since 1936! Good for UNH! Good for NH.

pauline woodbury said Friday, September 9, 2016 at 8:02 am This is disgusting. I don't care what their "plans" are (most never come to fruition because of neighbors, etc.) this is a total waste of money. It's JUST FOOTBALL! Do you have any idea how many kids could have a decent college education on that money and not have to carry a huge amount debt for it? Their career and it's earnings would then be passed on to spending and the general good of their community and state

Ben Willard said Friday, September 9, 2016 at 8:39 am $25M for some bleachers? Sheeeeet

RONALD A. GAUDREAULT said Friday, September 9, 2016 at 2:26 pm It's JUST FOOTBALL! Do you have any idea how many kids could have a decent college education on that money and not have to carry a huge amount debt for it? So you want the collage to pay for the kids education?

DUNCAN LEARY said Friday, September 9, 2016 at 3:53 pm Excellent move on UNH's part..Using all the resources available to build a successful brand. In the real world it takes money to make money and doing it in a high profile way is the best approach..Cowell was a dump an embarrassment that didn't reflect the University in a positive way to anyone. Being a life long resident of NH I am completely fed up with the negative posters to this story...their whining has gotten old and its always the same names (Woodbury) that lead way. Try a new approach to life you might like it...By the way I am a proud parent of a 2004 graduate and very happy with the return on my investment in the university –

See more at: ↓http://www.unionleader.com/college/Firs ... Kumns.dpuf

First home football game at UNH's new $25m stadium Saturday | New Hampshire
Just two days before the University of New Hampshire's first home football game at its new Wildcat Stadium, finishing touches were being put in place Thursday.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OBRAM,
Thanks for posting. What are your thoughts on this? What would you recommend?
5 years from now where do you see our program? Same? Program Still here? New stadium? Significantly Enhanced current stadium? Just curious where you think it might be, and maybe also where you think it could be.....
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

http://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2 ... scoreboard
Historically UNH has invested very little in athletics facilities, and it showed. It took 80 years to expand and renovate our 1936 facility into Wildcat Stadium – a superb, immersive experience for students and others. UNH now has a stadium that, while very modest compared to others in the country, is one every New Hampshire resident can be proud of. A facility like Wildcat Stadium is transformative to our campus experience in helping UNH to recruit the best and brightest students, build our campus and alumni community pride, and host events like Special Olympics and state high school championships that are as excellent as one would expect from a flagship state university.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Lol what a terrible PR job by UNH. Alums are outraged and the U basically posted a response telling them to get bent. You can guess how well that's going over.

URI administrators take note: next time you do something this shady (and you will) make sure your public relations officer isn't a New Hampshire grad.
0 x