Iowa State’s Bill Bleil New Rhody OC?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Iowa State’s Bill Bleil New Rhody OC?

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: Iowa State’s Bill Bleil New Rhody OC?

Unread post by bressler3south »

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... ID=3708819

Really great if it happens, but why leave Iowa State for URI??????
Just a question of curiosity….
If true: Welcome to URI!!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

also from the article of interest:
UMass: Former Miami offensive coordinator Mark Whipple will interview for the UMass head coaching job next week, according to the Daily Hampshire-Gazette. Whipple previously served as the head coach of the program from 1998-2003, leading the Minutemen to the I-AA national title in 1998.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I Google'd "Bill Bleil Rhode Island" and came across this thread on the Iowa State message board:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/footbal ... sland.html

Apparently he was on his way out anyway (and the fans don't seem too upset about it). Also read that he applied for the North Dakota head coaching position.
0 x
EricRueb
Abdul Fox

Unread post by EricRueb »

He had no shot of getting the North Dakota job.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... int-madden
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bleil worked with Fleming from 05-08 at Akron. He's been an assistant head coach at a couple stops, was the head coach at Western Carolina from 97-01 and was OC at Pacific from 93-95.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... EASON=2013

I see this as a very positive development.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Holy crap two FBS coaches from big programs could be the new masterminds on rhodys sideline?? This is great!
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely love this hire.
Exactly right - two FBS Coaches now at URI
These guys know what to do and how to do it
I wonder how many players will be on our roster for the 2014 Season from:
Central Florida
Iowa State
Other FBS Schools
My guess is plenty because they will be able to participate on a program on the upswing and get immediate playing time since FBS Players are immediately eligible.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

I like it. The last (2) OC's Istivan and Pincince were afraid to call plays.
(I believe they are both out of work).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Pincince was the OC for Elon this past season, but I believe the head coach was fired so who knows what he's up to
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Ramster, another thing to consider are guys that our new coaches recruited. For example, say Coach Bleil was recruiting offensive lineman who ended up selecting Iowa over Iowa State. Well now that lineman may look into transferring to URI to play immediately for the coach that had previously recruited him.
Also schools like UCF and Iowa State have huge recruiting boards. For example, they may have numerous 2 star recruits that they stay in contact with in case their 4 or 5 star first priority players don't sign with them. Ideally we may be able to grab some of those higher level guys that Bleil or Flemming have been in touch with. Hopefully we can grab a few D1 transfers, a few Juco's and some solid high school guys.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote:Ramster, another thing to consider are guys that our new coaches recruited. For example, say Coach Bleil was recruiting offensive lineman who ended up selecting Iowa over Iowa State. Well now that lineman may look into transferring to URI to play immediately for the coach that had previously recruited him.
Also schools like UCF and Iowa State have huge recruiting boards. For example, they may have numerous 2 star recruits that they stay in contact with in case their 4 or 5 star first priority players don't sign with them. Ideally we may be able to grab some of those higher level guys that Bleil or Flemming have been in touch with. Hopefully we can grab a few D1 transfers, a few Juco's and some solid high school guys.
Great points Bos - exciting future for URI Football - how long has it been since we could say that?
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

These moves could be huge for our program. I do believe we have some talent on this team. Now with two FBS coaches and maybe some transfers/good recruits we could be a contender in the CAA sooner rather than later.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think we will start to see the transfers soon as well as the recruiting immediately pick up. Next year will be much improved for Rhody Football.

Interesting that UCF went FCS to hire their replacement for Flemming - Ferraro and O'Leary worked together for 6 years at Georgia Tech.

UCF hires Paul Ferraro to run D
Updated: December 29, 2013, 1:49 PM ET
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Central Florida has hired longtime NFL assistant Paul Ferraro to be defensive coordinator next season.
Ferraro has been defensive coordinator at Maine in the FCS the last two years. He worked with the Panthers, Vikings and Rams from 2005-11, and was an assistant for UCF coach George O'Leary at Georgia Tech from 1995-01.
He replaces Jim Flemming, who left to become head coach at Rhode Island.
Neither Flemming nor Ferraro will coach the 15th-ranked Knights in the Fiesta Bowl against No. 6 Baylor on New Year's Day.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

The reviews from WCU fans on Bleil are really good.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Hal Kopp wrote:I like it. The last (2) OC's Istivan and Pincince were afraid to call plays.
Agreed. It was pretty painful to watch. Conservative doesn't even begin to describe it.
Hal Kopp wrote:The reviews from WCU fans on Bleil are really good.
That's good to hear
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I Google'd "Bill Bleil Rhode Island" and came across this thread on the Iowa State message board:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/footbal ... sland.html

Apparently he was on his way out anyway (and the fans don't seem too upset about it). Also read that he applied for the North Dakota head coaching position.
Keep in mind that Iowa State may be the hardest BCS conference job to succeed at. Very difficult to recruit there because Iowa doesn't produce a ton of stud players and Iowa gets first pick of the ones that do come out of there, and they don't have a natural recruiting ground outside of Iowa, either. They are generally going to be getting players from Texas and other Big XII areas that aren't recruited by the major local programs, then they have to turn around and play all the teams that didn't recruit their players. It's a tough gig.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see a mass movement of FBS players to URI. Three Rutgers players transferred after Rizzi's first year and none made an impact
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Bleil was one of three coaches fired after Iowa St won 3 games. Just the same I like the hire a lot, especially since Fleming knows exactly what he's getting. An upgrade in the staff was crucial. Trainer had the worst staff in the conference.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Iggy,you are correct. Rhody has even had some transfers who played well,remember Billy Jqck Hqskins,Miguel Viera and Ken Mastole? The teams still played poorly. Transfers only work if mixed in with an overwhelming mix of talent. Need HS,transfer,preps and Ju co's. Remember Dustin piccioti?
He was number 1 FB I in country. Could not make it at Rhody as a RB transfer.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bleil has been replaced at ISU by (the successful!) former Kansas coach and hilariously shaped human Mark Mangino.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

That incredible bcs game just got me pumped for rhody football. I just want to see the rams win!
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3
ARD

Has it been confirmed that he has been hired?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rhodyfan3 wrote:Has it been confirmed that he has been hired?
He is here working
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Iggy1979 wrote:
rhodyfan3 wrote:Has it been confirmed that he has been hired?
He is here working
Oh okay great, thank you. I just didn't see anything online and the title of the topic still makes it seem like its not official. Thats great he is already here. I hope Fleming is putting together a hard working staff that wants to compete now.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The official announcements are always tied up in state hiring regs, and they might wait until he has a complete staff to make an announcement.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Would love to see the football program on the rise. Having a good football team can't hurt when recruiting a basketball player either. Yeah, I know we're not big time, but it can't hurt.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

This is what'll help each and every sports program at the University!!!!!!!!
download/file.php?id=45
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

bressler3south wrote:This is what'll help each and every sports program at the University!!!!!!!!
download/file.php?id=45

Program changer. If only it were a reality.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If that stadium was built I'd buy season tickets in a heart beat.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Moi aussi!
0 x