Fleming/SADC ?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Fleming/SADC ?

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.independentri.com/independen ... 7e9ac.html

Has anyone on this board actually seen the SADC ?
How does it look?
It should be major recruiting advantage.
See linke.
Let me know.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fleming/SADC ?

Unread post by RF1 »

Hal Kopp wrote:http://www.independentri.com/independen ... 7e9ac.html

Has anyone on this board actually seen the SADC ?
How does it look?
It should be major recruiting advantage.
See linke.
Let me know.
How is it an advantage when most every school has something that is probably better with some having separate centers entirely dedicated to football (unlike at URI where it will be for all athletes)?

The more accurate phrasing might be that the addition of the SADC will put URI at a lesser disadvantage than in the past for recruiting.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It does look very nice. Call Athletics Development office and they'll be happy to show you around, I'm sure.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rf1,how does it compare to the others in the CAA you have seen?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Rf1,how does it compare to the others in the CAA you have seen?
How about this?

JMU
http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=789024
http://www.jmusports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm ... M_ID=14400
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Can't wait to see what this guy can do with the team. He's a proven winner and should help this program a lot. It's been a long time since URI has had a coach with this guy's notoriety. You don't get a team to the Fiesta Bowl by accident. Plus, if you apply for the same job four times it shows a real passion and determination, which is something the program needs a coach to have. If you add that to the national attention UCF and it's coaches have gotten, there's a real good chance for URI Football to start heading in the right direction.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I saw it and it is impressive. Never been in alabama's facility or compound, but I would like to believe what we have brings us closer to parity with the majority of CAA programs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Now closing out the 4th year of Jim Fleming's 5 Year Contract (with an option for a 6th year)
2014: 1-11 (1-7)
2015: 1-10 (1-7)
2016: 2-9 (1-7)
2017: 2-6 (1-4) with 3 CAA games to go

His salary is $225,000 per year with $50,000 of that coming from the FBS Buy Game
3 games remain in 2017:
James Madison
Villanova
@ Towson

I'd like to see him win 1 of the last 3 games, minimum
Not sure I see Thor letting him go with $225,000 on the line to pay out next year plus a new HC salary, but without some big improvement in the W/L Record the 6th year option seems next to impossible. Thor needs to at least shake up Fleming's Coaching staff before we head into the 2018 season

My view changed a lot with the Elon Game 35-34 loss on Homecoming/Family Weekend
- Not going for a 2 point conversion on the 3rd, 4th or 5th URI Touchdown when it was obvious they had a 1 point deficit from having missed the PAT on the 2nd URI TD
- Throwing a pass on 3rd down that got intercepted in the last minute with URI having the ball on the Elon 19 Yard Line.
- Not kicking a Field Goal to potentially win the game on 3rd down to potentially win the Elon Game with the score 34-35
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The decision on the option was supposed to happen after Fleming's first year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So do you know if the option for a 6th year was granted? If so would that men URI is on the hook for Fleming’s salary for 2018 - the 5th year of the 5 year contract) AND the 2019 option year????
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't know, as far as I know it was never reported.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If they picked up that option, then there's no way they can him after this season....they're on the hook for 2 more years.

But like ramster said, they need to hire an OC who knows what the hell he's doing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:If they picked up that option, then there's no way they can him after this season....they're on the hook for 2 more years.

But like ramster said, they need to hire an OC who knows what the hell he's doing.
And Thor can force that just as he did during the Baron last year or two. There are plenty of dumb offensive calls this season alone that Thor can and should directly question.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Not only East Stands are unacceptable, but the Pools are now getting and Tootell are close to 50 years old.
No outdoor track. Boy , how can State House allow flagship U. to have facilities like this?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Only a state like Rhode Island would because it collectively sees little value in higher education. Only the highly visible private colleges and universities in Providence seem to count.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster, from what I was told Thorr wanted Fleming to hire another OC before last season...and for some reason it didn't happen.

Maybe after this season he'll force him to....

They can give his son the water boy job lol....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So it was a 5 year contract when Fleming started. So he should gave one year left but he has two according to this. So the good question that is unanswered is when did the option for. 6th year get granted? 2nd good question is why wasn’t the option to extend a year not public? Until now?

And winning at Towson on Saturday is a big if, certainly is not likely.

What continues to need addressing is the poor performance of the Offense Coordinator and some very questionable calls like the interception with 30 seconds to go on Homecoming day with a strong wind at the kickers back and the ball at the 19 yard line. HC blamed the dumb decision on the PKer missing the 2nd extra point.

And I find it a struggle to see where good steady progress has been made.

0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ramster-the only thing I would say is Flemings record has improved each year (improved the operative word).
Where his predecessors records all got remarkably worse.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It must have been approved after his first season. What Thorr saw in the first year to add the year, who knows.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Previous posts on this board have stated that Thorr was displeased with Fleming's not bringing in a experienced and proven OC. I have also read on this board that Fleming's contract gave him full authority on assistant coaches. So now we are saying that Fleming was extended after his debut 1-11 first season. Does Thorr know what he is doing regarding this football program?

If Fleming is coming back for this 5th year, there will not be an announcement, there just won't be a story that he is not coming back. How does this board and perhaps the 5th Quarter Club get Thorr to give us a state of the Football Program address? I would like to hear him expound on his thought process and evaluation of Fleming's tenure. What grades does he give Fleming and why? Fleming came in talking about winning championships and continues to do so. What has gone wrong? How long before this championship is a reality? What does Thorr think of the OC's performance? Is Fleming signed for a 6th year? If yes, why? If not, is he a lame duck? What does he need to do to get a new contract? How does all this effect recruiting? And I know there are many more questions to ask. How do we get this legitimate redress?

I think one of the things that has held this program in the "biggest loser" category, is that Thorr and previous AD's have no real concern about the alumnae who support football. Can that be changed? Do we withhold whatever support we provide to 5th Quarter, season tickets, etc. Maybe there are just not enough of us to care, but there seemed to be a stir when Thorr planned on dropping down to the NEC. Thorr is a likeable guy and he has good political skills, but he has not succeeded with this part of his job and somehow he needs be made accountable.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Fleming started with virtually nothing in the way of talent and supposedly has had 2 strong recruiting classes the last 2 years. Also, I believe 16 of 22 starters are scheduled to return next year. There is no question he should have the opportunity to coach them again next year.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Trainer's last team won 3 games and the returning players included 6 players who would make al CAA teams over the next 2 years. Two would get NFL contracts, and 2 who would leave to play their 5th year for SEC and Big 10 schools. 4 other red shirt seniors - including 3 starters opted not to return this year. So let's stop with Fleming had nothing. As far as his last 2 recruiting classes - do a review of how many of these kids are no longer on the team. Top classes on paper are much often much different than top players on the field. This year's team has talent - though it could have had significantly more if players did not opt to leave. They have consistently shown they don't know what they are doing on offense - especially the quarterback. 3 or 4 wins this year, when it should have won 7, and 7 or 8 wins in 4 years is not good enough. URI needs to do better. Fleming got his chance and now it is time to move on.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Actually Eli, 18 of 22 starters return next year, but 10 of the 22 are Juniors this season which is not so good.

While you say there is "no question he should have the opportunity to coach them again next year" methinks there are a lot of questions. I would be ok with him returning IF Thor has had conversations with all of the Assistant Coaches and every player - (yes, every player) to understand the climate of the team.

My concerns:
- I never heard that Fleming had been granted the Option Year of his contract. Never knew until Bill Koch tweeted this week that Fleming had 2 more years to go at URI. I do not like that this was never public, and I still do not know when this 1 year option was granted.

- I have brought this example up many times, and here I go again, but this is where I decided to agree with many here that the Offensive Coordinator had to go. The OC just happens to be Fleming's Son too but this from the Elon Game which was VERY Winnable in front of a season high 7,221 Homecoming fans:

How It Happened:

Rhode Island was in position to drive for the winning score, but a late turnover sealed the win for No. 14/15 Elon as the Phoenix escaped Kingston with a 35-34 victory over the Rams Saturday afternoon.
Sophomore Myles Ross intercepted the ball in Rhode Island's end zone to thwart a scoring chance for Elon with 3:59 remaining, giving the Rams (1-6, 0-4 CAA Football) the ball at their own 20-yard line. Redshirt junior JaJuan Lawson connected with Khayri Denny for 13 yards and Isaiah Coulter for 9 yards to move the ball to the Rhody 42. Back-to-back passes to Marven Beauvais picked up 25 more yards, and the Rams had first-and-10 at the Elon 33.
On second-and-10, Lawson and Denny connected again for 12 yards, and a Lawson 4-yard run got the Rams in the red zone.
However, on third-and-6 from the Elon 17, Warren Messer came up with an interception with 28 seconds left, clinching the sixth straight win for Elon (6-1, 4-0 CAA Football).

The wind was strong at the backs of URI. An example of the wind was Satchel Denton had a 67 yard punt that sailed way over the head of the punt returner. The wind was a huge factor for and against Punters and Place Kickers. URI had the wind.
Ball on the Elon 17, 3rd and 6, 28 seconds to go. Lawson could have just run one more time then kick the FG OR just kick the FG on 3rd down in case something goes wrong. But no, we pass, Elon top defensive player picks it off thrown right in his chest. He cheated/gambled on the play and was right place at right time. Bad call by URI, inexcusable.
Carrick on the year:
8-14 FG, 22-24 Extra Points
20-29: 3-3
30-39: 3-7
40-49: 2-4
Longest: 42 yards
This would have been Elon 17 yard line (or better if Lawson had run) plus 7 plus 10 for 34 yard FG, WITH a strong wind at his back.

If he misses he misses but at least take the shot.

But worst of all for me, Fleming tried to explain why they didn't kick saying Carrick had already missed an extra point and he had a Kick Off go out of bounds. OK, so Carrick had one Kick-off go OB that was into a very strong wind. Elon's PK ALSO had a kickoff go out of bounds when kicking into the same wind. OK so Carrick missed an extra point on the 2nd URI TD. He kicked 4 other extra points successfully. His missed extra point was into the strong wind. I would feel MUCH better if Fleming had not tried to justify the strategy. He was Baron-like, Baron-esque....... 34 yard FG, with a strong wind at your back, to beat Nationally Ranked Elon at home on Homecoming Day. Who made the call to pass to pass on 3rd down with 28 seconds to go with the ball on the 17 yard line? I would guess the OC, his son. Sorry, that was clueless.

So that makes me wonder how many other decisions are being made that are not optimal, or clueless? It makes me lose confidence.

Then there is Lawson. Last week CAA Player of the week, 1st one for URI in ages.
But Fleming or Fleming's son or both chose Harris as their starting QB to start the season

Harris: 107-203 for 52.7%. 13 Interceptions, 6 in the opening game alone. 9 TDs. 111.13 Rating. Won 1 game Lost 5 games
- Lost @ Central Michigan 30-27 in OT (6 Interceptions)
- Lost Stony Brook 35-18 (2 Interceptions)
- Won Harvard 17-10 (0 Interceptions)
- Lost @ New Hampshire 28-14 (3 interceptions)
- Lost 24-21 @ Brown (0 Interceptions)
- Lost 51-27 @ Maine ( 1 Interception)

Lawson: 87-104 for 60.4%. 3 Interceptions. 7 TDs. 133.43 Rating. Won 2 games, lost 2 games. And the Elon loss is on the URI Coaching Staff.
- Lost 35-34 Elon (1 Interception)
- Won 31-14 @ Albany (0 Interceptions)
- Lost 38-3 James Madison (0 Interceptions)
- Won 20-6 Villanova (1 Interception)

Only reason Lawson got the starting role was Harris hurt his hand. Now if Coaching staff is just saying Harris hurt his hand, and he really didn't but they just wanted to make it look better for Harris then I disagree. Just make the decision. Harris had a ton of Interceptions. Threw into double and triple coverage a lot, underthrew on the long ball a lot allowing to be picked off.

Lawson looked great in a late game drive vs Stony Brook. Right there he looked very good. But Fleming still went with Harris.
My guess is Lawson was always the better choice for QB but the Coaching staff misread the signals. Huge mistake. Have to wonder what this season would have looked like had Lawson started from game 1 like he obviously should have. Sure I am Monday morning Quarterbacking, but this is what Fleming and Son are paid to do.

Vs Stony Brook 2nd game of the season:
JaJuan Lawson entered the game for the Rams in the fourth quarter and helped engineer a late touchdown drive, capped by the redshirt junior's 3-yard scamper around the right guard. He made the two-point conversion pass to Khayri Denny, which made the final score 35-18.

Offense: 1 SR, 5 JR, 4 SOPH, 1 FROSH
Defense: 3 SR, 5 JR, 3 SOPH, 0 FROSH

RB Harold Cooper - SR
WR Khayri Denny - JR
WR Aaron Parker - SOPH
QB JaJuan Lawson - JR
WR Marven Beauvais - JR
C Dwayne Scott - SOPH
LG Adriel A. Miller - SOPH
LT Dino Boyd - JR
RT Kyle Murphy - SOPH
RG Derek Allen - JR