Trainer and Baron Buyouts

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Trainer and Baron Buyouts

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.providencejournal.com/breaki ... ntract.ece
Not sure what makes Trainer's contract negotiable but Baron's wasn't. From article in today's PROJO.

“If we didn’t negotiate the buyout of $55,000,” Bjorn said, “we could have been on the hook to pay coach Trainer about $250,000 with fringe benefits.”

URI is still paying for the $1.1-million buyout of its former men’s basketball coach, Jim Baron. The university fired Baron in March 2012 after 11 years as the coach and two years left on his contract.
The final installment of $150,000 is due on July 1, 2014.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: Trainer and Baron Buyouts

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Coach T must have gotten a job somewhere else?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No, I think JB's contract was fully guaranteed, when he signed that ridiculous extension back in 2004 I think it was. Carothers authored that deal.

I don't think there was room to negotiate. About the last year tacked on by Thorr, don't know for sure.

That will never happen again.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, the University is only liable to pay the "base salary" through the end of the contact term in the event of unilateral termination (without cause). There is specific language prohibiting any additional "damages" beyond the Termination Payment of remaining base salary to end of employment Term.

Click to view Dan Hurley's Contract

See page 14, Section 6.7.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It will be nice when URI is no longer paying ex-coaches
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Is Cathy next?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They blew a lead to the Friars in the last game which broke their 3 game winning streak. They're at 4-8 on the year with wins vs NJIT, Lowell, and Vermont.

PC game box score:
http://www.wbbstate.com/games/2013-12-21/PROV-URI
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Carl K Tortella »

I was at a bar Friday evening and 3 typical Rhode Islanders , a Friar couple in their 70's or older and a single woman, brought up this subject about Joe's $55,000 and what a waste of money it was to the taxpayers . I told them that since the state paid about 8% or $4,400. of the buyout and that I gifted athletics significantly more than that amount this year , consider the buyout on me and not the taxpayers!!!! Of course Schilling's $78,000,000. does not seem to register with these types or most others because it is RI business as usual The morons on Smith Hill should let the insurance kick in for the $ 78,000,000. Otherwise why have the insurance ? Then again what is $ 78,000,000. amongst friends!!!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's a little higher Carl, I believe the projo said it was $8,200 or so. And it was Curt Schilling, he's a Red Sox legend of course the state gave him the 78 million even though it was completely idiotic
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What a stupid, backwards state. I love Rhode Island and Rhode Islanders, but my god I hate them sometimes, too. Even if the state was on the hook for the whole 55k, is that what Rhode Islanders are concerned about??? A state with corruption and waste coming out of its ears and they are worried about 55k? In every other state in the country with the exception of a few, the football coach is far far and away the highest paid state employee, and the citizens would riot if it was any other way. It may seem like a lot of money if it was coming out of your savings account, but for christ's sake can these people not do the math in their head and figure out that they would be on the hook for about four and a half cents (assuming that we all pay the same amount of taxes)?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Carl K Tortella »

Then the Blowjo is WRONG again or their math is as BAD as their " newspaper " because that would compute to 15% !!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They also conveniently forget about the Dunk renovation money.

What a-holes.

I REALLY wish URI would go private, and shut these morons up forever.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Carl K Tortella wrote:Then the Blowjo is WRONG again or their math is as BAD as their " newspaper " because that would compute to 15% !!!!
that was given to them by URI
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

the way I view college coaches salaries and not get upset, is to think of it as a marketing expense...that' really what it is in the end. When a schools does well, it's the best marketing money can buy.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rambone 78 wrote:They also conveniently forget about the Dunk renovation money.

What a-holes.

I REALLY wish URI would go private, and shut these morons up forever.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x