Independent - Fleming to be named URI football coach

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: Independent - Fleming to be named URI football coach

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Yes Ramster,strange as it sounds the bowl games can be anti climatic for some.
Sounds hard to fathom,but some don't want to be there or wish they were somewhere else.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Come talk to me when this level of football has a 16 team playoff system....til then all exhibition games...I don't care about the bowls and the money or the alums of certain big time schools....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I will echo Hal and TP's remarks - It's not at all unusual for coaching changes to happen during bowl season, and most of them aren't seen as big deals except for the national championship game or if you have an ascendent program.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Any bowl game is a big deal.
Are there exceptions?
OK, if you're Alabama and have a crappy season,
then you probly aren't too excited about the
Beef-A-Roni Bowl. And yes, there are stories
about tickets not being sold and all that.
But most FBS fans are enormously excited
about their team's game this week.
Don't kid yourself.
Football is king, and FBS football is the mother
of all that's sacred in college sports.
Why the hell do you think 98% of all schools
in division 1 just had their conference affiliations
go bat-crazy, including URI by the way.
It wasn't for basketball.
And a four team playoff is going to make absolutely
no difference. They are NOT exhibitions. This is not
the CBI. Most of these schools are extremely happy
to be bowling.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe they are happy to be bowling, but how many actually make money doing so?

The top dogs do, for sure. The big bowls pay big.

Look what happened to UConn a few years ago. They got invited to what, the Fiesta Bowl? And lost millions when they couldn't come close to selling their allotment of tickets.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Maybe they are happy to be bowling, but how many actually make money doing so?

The top dogs do, for sure. The big bowls pay big.

Look what happened to UConn a few years ago. They got invited to what, the Fiesta Bowl? And lost millions when they couldn't come close to selling their allotment of tickets.
Rambone,
the Subject was not about making money - it is about whether fans actually care about the bowl games or not. The statement was made that the majority of bowl games are just exhibitions. Making money at the bowls should become a new thread otherwise this thread will go completely sideways
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

teams get a pretty good chunk of change for these bowls. Northern Illinois and the MAC lost out on 8 million by losing the MAC championship and losing the bcs bowl bid
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Fox sports gives the big east 4million per team for basketball that is mediocre.....I rest my case....just because you are making money and your school's fans are interested doesn't make it meaningful....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Just because you're not interested doesn't make the game meaningless.
Try watching some of them.
Washington State coughed up a 15 point lead in the last 3 minutes to Colorado St,
and Tulane missed a FG attempt on the last play that would've tied Louisiana.
The other 2 games Saturday weren't close, but the majority of these games are terrific.
You're gonna compare the Rose Bowl or Notre Dame v Rutgers in Yankee Stadium
to a spring training game or Rhody v Southern Ct? I don't think so.
I look forward to Bowl Week every year.
But back to the subject, I look forward to seeing Rhody be competitive soon.
Good luck coach! Can't wait for Marshall, who BTW is bowling.
And I'm also gonna be sure to check out the UCF game to see how their d does.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Rud....who do they play next on the road to the national championship ?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramulous: what is your point Re: Fleming?

If games that don't have championship ramifications are all meaningless, then you could say the same thing about 99% of all intercollegiate athletic games, including all of our games.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Let me say first, I/ve always been a hoop guy first. I went to the presser. There was no mention of any facility and other infrastructure improvements. Coach stated he tried four other times for this job. I have not been to a football game in many years and he also stated this was his dream job!! I spoke to Thorr at the UNH game and I asked what was the difference maker? Thorr confirmed the fact he reaally wanted to be the coach of URI football. Coach Flemming also said he wants to be here for the long haul. I guess I buy a ticket or two next season. What is the hard core Rhody football fan to the comments in the presses.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Although the original thread was about Fleming it went off on a tangent about bowl games...there is no link to Fleming with my "meaningless" statement.

And regular season games...for the most part...have some meaning....post season games which have no bearing on the national championship in its sport are meaningless exhibitions.....even the NIT, CBI and other hoop tourneys which have championships are meaningless to me and hence are exhibitions...but you could argue they have more meaning than any football bowl game not played for the national championship....

Just because many people may be "interested" does not confer "meaning" in my definition of the word....
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I followed the presser on line.
Here are some asides: SADC is just waiting on weights and some graphics to complete-per source today.
This needs to come first (IMO),think it will be tough to fund raise with it dragging on.
Like Coaches push for season tix purchase ,this comes 2nd.
As soon as SADC is done,will pursue the other questions (stadium). I donated a good amount ($$) to SADC and want to see this done before I consider anything else. Doubt am alone in this regard.
Also,it appears Fleming's pay is up from Trainers,this was a need also and increases for assts. (get what you pay for).
These are all part of the financial needs for the program (albeit easier ones).
Section 105,was the presser packed in person?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

According to Bill Koch, Fleming is being paid the same as for his DC job! He does get a 5-year contract with an option for a 6th.

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

My take is that is about $50K more than Trainer?
Who made $165-$175?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hal Kopp wrote:My take is that is about $50K more than Trainer?
Who made $165-$175?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Still good.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The alumni room in the RC was pretty packed, more than I would guessed;seats full, standees.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Thanks section 105,"nothing worthwhile happens without enthusiasm".
At least they have that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No announcements of any upgrades?

Great.

Fleming got the job, because he really wanted it, and was willing to take the same money he was making at UCF.

Well, I hope he can recruit. It's going to be tough to get a lot of talent in here, without improvements.

Looks like Rhody got a coach on the cheap.

Well, Coach Fleming, good luck to you. If you can't turn this program around somehow, no need to worry, you'll be the last football coach of this program.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jim Fleming's ability to win and consistently win will be based on URI's investment in him. I hope Fleming is successful but this is a dead end job if there ever was one.

If the Meade Stadium concept ever became a reality that would be a game changer for URI in the CAA. The stadium would totally legitimize the program and change the perception of it. Does anyone know how much this concept would cost? Can someone give me some hope there is more than a 2% chance of this every happening?
Attachments
meade%20stadium%20concept.jpg
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

$50 million, give or take a few dollars.

Something tells me Fleming and his staff are being counted on, to get us to respectability all by themselves.

When and IF that happens, then maybe URI will commit to making some improvements, figuring the program is worth saving. By then, maybe Hurley has us in the Dance, and more money will start flowing into athletics.

If Fleming does the Fosbury flop, then the program will be thrown out with the bathwater.

Buh-bye football.

P.S. Don't take my word for it, ask Dooley.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

How about "Meade Field at Alex and Ani Stadium"?????????? The big donors, and then sell major sections of the stadium naming rights, i.e., "Dave's Mezzanine," "The Bailey Bleachers," "The General Assembly Concessions," etc.,
In all seriousness, these people who want to make this a reality should consult the PawSox and how they made it happen with the beautifully renovated McCoy Stadium…...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bressler, haha.

"General Assembly concessions"? They wouldn't fund the money for an outhouse.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

$50M ??? You can do synthetic turf for $1.5M (max). Lights for a million (max). East side for $2M.
End zones for a $1M.
Do the lights first for Sat. nite games,attendance will go up. Use that increase to fund the other projects.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

HK, new East stands for 2 million? Are you serious?

Try 15-20 million at least for starters. And that's not counting end zone seating. They could skip that by making the East stands hold more people, but that would mean more money.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Thank you, Hal. Rambone is high, I think. $2M might be low, but $50M is insane. A $5M-$10M investment would go a LONG way.

Also, we definitely should start naming all kinds of things after G.A. members to send a message. The "Speaker Fox Urinal Cakes"; the "Nick Mattiello Garbage Disposals" in the dining halls; the "Sen. Pres. Paiva Weed Sewer System"; and the "Dominick J. Ruggiero Septic System."
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I would say a seat cost about $2,000+. If you do over East stands, and did it concrete, I think that would cost $10 million if you have 5,000 seats. I would think Meade should be rebuild in a new area not aside of the Ryan Center, so I would like to see minor improvements now, and a new stadium down the road, so I hope they don't spend $10 million to fix Meade over, I would hate to see Meade fixed over and then flood again like in the March rains of 2010.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I remember in 2000 when I first heard of this project, I was thinking, oh, yeah, sure, we can wrap this up for $10-$12 million no problem, sort of HK's thinking here.

Well, $10-$12 Million would barely buy you Maine's high school stadium, back in 2000.

This is a state university, which means there are a lot of hands out on a project like this, similar to the construction of the Ryan Center. It will take contracts with public workers and unions that are going to cost a lot more than what it would cost for a private school like Bryant to do the identical thing. Just the messenger here, guys.

The figure quoted to me was a minimum of $30 million in 2000. Adjusted for inflation, you are probably looking at around $36-$38 million.

This is going to take several big league players to get this done, not to mention at least half of it is going to have to be financed by the university over decades.

So, the winning needs to take place first.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's also why I am excited about the Flemming hire. If (big if) this guy has success and stays, we will get the stadium, even at $30+ million. If he fails, the program is a lot closer to dead than it was.

The stadium would save the program for sure.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My quote is close to real for EVERYTHING about a new stadium, not just the East stands. I don't come cheap. :P

Of course the price tag would be lower, much lower if you only want to do a partial renovation.

I also agree if they would ever build a completely new stadium, then it needs to be put elsewhere, not in the low lying area it is now.

I can't see a total rebuild. But an upgrade in steps is necessary, and sooner rather than later.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This announcement is one of the more exciting moments in recent years for URI Football. Let's see how it plays out. The past several seasons have been "life support" type discussions. URI to NEC, then back to the CAA, Schools dropping football so why shouldn't URI, etc.
You will not find Fleming wanting to step down to the NEC that's for sure.
Two articles in the PROJO today.
Bill Reynolds excerpt "Not in a school that long has seemed overmatched in the Colonial Athletic Conference - the one that Bryant plays in - and probably should have done so." So Reynold's is doubting the future of URI Football and ends with this, "Can it happen again? Probably not. But I hope I'm wrong".
5 year Contract with a 6th year option. Sounds like URI Football has a good amount of air put back into it. Fleming has the track record and experience to bring a new look to URI Football. He has seen facilities at many Universities, he has seen school spirit and observed the tailgating phenomenom. I like this hire and look forward to next season.
I expect a bunch of transfers from D1 schools for the 2014 season. GO RHODY!!
0 x
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BIG_FISH_RI »

As a former player - I think from my prior post you copuld hae figured this out. I REALLY HOPE this program can turn around. I would LOVE to see nothing less. BUT until the University - those on UPPER COLLEGE ROAD put some stake in this program..... I am afraid that it will NEVER get going. We can hire Nick Saban and the results would be the same.
I just HOPE coach can recruit and get some players in here. Without winning he will get no support.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:This announcement is one of the more exciting moments in recent years for URI Football. Let's see how it plays out. The past several seasons have been "life support" type discussions. URI to NEC, then back to the CAA, Schools dropping football so why shouldn't URI, etc.
You will not find Fleming wanting to step down to the NEC that's for sure.
Two articles in the PROJO today.
Bill Reynolds excerpt "Not in a school that long has seemed overmatched in the Colonial Athletic Conference - the one that Bryant plays in - and probably should have done so." So Reynold's is doubting the future of URI Football and ends with this, "Can it happen again? Probably not. But I hope I'm wrong".
5 year Contract with a 6th year option. Sounds like URI Football has a good amount of air put back into it. Fleming has the track record and experience to bring a new look to URI Football. He has seen facilities at many Universities, he has seen school spirit and observed the tailgating phenomenom. I like this hire and look forward to next season.
I expect a bunch of transfers from D1 schools for the 2014 season. GO RHODY!!
Good point, ramster. It is helpful for us that FBS guys can transfer here and play right away. A nice advantage in hiring a mid-major type of FBS coach who definitely recruited some guys that are buried on depth charts in MAC or the AAC or CUSA. Would be nice to get an influx of FBS talent that can step on the field right away. Will be following that closely.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In addition to recruiting, Fleming needs to bring in a better coaching staff. Trainer might've been handcuffed by money, but his staff was not impressive. The defensive coordinator especially seemed over his head.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Fleming and rhody mentioned a couple of times during the broadcast of the fiesta. Nice job by UCF to slow down the country's top offense and come thru as a double digit dog!

Didn't watch the first half of the rose, but it was nice to see Narduzzi's d come up with a huge 4th and 1 stop to get the trophy.

He was mentioned prominently as a potential candidate at penn st.

Here's hoping both of them have more days like yesterday!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I actually waited until Uri was mentioned and I got a little excited. Also read tthat the whole msu staff got a pay increase. Good game by Flemings defense.
0 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Any chance Fleming could get involved with the brothers from Mt. Pleasant?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Iggy,I know Randolph Zleh along with Blue from Hendricken,Sewall from Portsouth,Beuavais from Crans. East were given to Fleming as prospects. Also Crawley from Montville,Joe Carbone from Xavier,Ct. and Dante DiMaggio from Cardinal Gibbons,NC.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Zleh would be huge
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Whipple has just been hired as the Umass head coach.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Talked with a football player the other day. I asked about the new coach . he said he was "hard as hell" lol. But seemed to like where the program was going. Said the new workout facilities were great and that there some good talent coming in. I'm guessing Trainor was a little easy on them and that Fleming means business. I like it
0 x
GO RAMS
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

RhodyMob-right on. An ex-coach under Trainer (quit) said the kids are really buying in under Fleming.
I heard Trainer was yeller and screamer. I would bet more he could not get through to kids or they tuned him out,more than he was easy..
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote:Talked with a football player the other day. I asked about the new coach . he said he was "hard as hell" lol. But seemed to like where the program was going. Said the new workout facilities were great and that there some good talent coming in. I'm guessing Trainor was a little easy on them and that Fleming means business. I like it
Talked to someone this weekend who said the entire team is spending the summer in Narr and working out. Fleming has them running more than they ever have. The players, he said, think Fleming is nuts, but in a good way.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I like to see the positivity around the football team. I just graduated in May, and tonight I bought season tickets! Might be a few years until we see a winning football program but I wanted to get them and support the team.
0 x