Pawtucket Times: URI football hire by mid-December

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Pawtucket Times: URI football hire by mid-December

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: FB hire-middle of month article

Unread post by ramster »

Good article Hal.
I was glad to hear Thor say this
“People think we can be successful here, but when you’re not successful, it’s not just a coach’s problem. It’s a program issue.”

Sounds like Thor is very involved in this decision.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:Good article Hal.
I was glad to hear Thor say this
“People think we can be successful here, but when you’re not successful, it’s not just a coach’s problem. It’s a program issue.”

Sounds like Thor is very involved in this decision.
Yeah, I mean it is good to know that Thor is involved in the same way that it is good to know that the person driving the car you're in is awake.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TP,
Frequently in the past committees have been formed to find and hire a candidate. I have not seen this be so successful.
What I like about what Thir said in the article is that he is handling it.................the alternative is to have a committee handle it.

If Thor does it then he owns it - can't blame anyone else - so it's not so much that I have faith in Thor to make a great decision (everyone here should know from Day 1 I thought the decision to join the Northeast Conference was a terrible one that would set the program back - which it did) I do give Thor credit for reversing and returning back to the best conference in D2 being the CAA.
Thor could have stubbornly refused to go back to the CAA - but I like that he changed.

So yes, I like Thor leading the way because then he owns it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Right. I guess we are saying the same thing: the alternative would be a disaster. As you said, we've seen search committees crash our cars many times.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"A camel is a horse designed by a committee ."
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Thorr has never used a search committee. And before he fired a coach he had a replacement in mind and went and got that person. He said no "formal interviews" have taken place, which means he's already talked to his top choice informally. When he hired Trainer, Inglese, Hurley, he interviewed one person. I think that was the case with Rizzi, too. Thorr moves fast; the decision is his; he takes responsibility for the decision. Search committees are just a way to spread the blame when things go bad.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

So, he's basically just going to "reveal" his choice in about a week, assuming, like with Hurley, he can close the deal.

I'm assuming your outline of his method is spot on, except he probably has backups in mind if the first one falls through.

I don't have a problem with that. In that case, the speculation is nonsense. The hire itself will tell us how serious he is about this program. If it's not Vasey, you will see a lot of spitting and hissing out of his followers. I hope he follows the same blue print he did with Hurley. Hurley was basically an up and coming coach, who we stole from Wagner, when many would have predicted him hanging on for at least a BE job or better. That's exciting.

If he makes that kind of hire, people will acknowledge it right away.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

If his 1-interview model holds, we can assume it's someone who's still coaching right now?
Maybe a HC/OC/DC at a 1-AA playoff team?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There also is the standard baloney about advertising the job and having a certain application period to comply with local, state, federal, international, and inter-galactic regulations.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rhodyrudder wrote:If his 1-interview model holds, we can assume it's someone who's still coaching right now?
Maybe a HC/OC/DC at a 1-AA playoff team?
Well, the people that come to mind and cross referenced between those mentioned in this thread, and teams either still playing or were at least playing until this past weekend, and are regional (there's a mouthful for ya):

The teams in 1aa still playing are:

Maine
New Hampshire
Fordham
Towson

BC, a BCS school, played their last game against Syracuse this past weekend and lost. It is unclear if they are playing a bowl game now.

There is Don Brown at BC. The OC at UNH looks like a possibility. The HC's son is the OC at Towson. Beyond that, I really don't have any guesses for people who were active up until this weekend or still active.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Iggy1979 wrote:Thorr has never used a search committee. And before he fired a coach he had a replacement in mind and went and got that person. He said no "formal interviews" have taken place, which means he's already talked to his top choice informally. When he hired Trainer, Inglese, Hurley, he interviewed one person. I think that was the case with Rizzi, too. Thorr moves fast; the decision is his; he takes responsibility for the decision. Search committees are just a way to spread the blame when things go bad.
This isn't true. There was absolutely a search committee for Cathy Inglese. And there were 2 other finalists for the position.

Though Thorr does a good job of making sure the buck stops with him.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: Pawtucket Times: URI football hire by mid-December

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

I believe the top candidate is in the FBS ranks right now.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

EasyEdBrown wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Thorr has never used a search committee. And before he fired a coach he had a replacement in mind and went and got that person. He said no "formal interviews" have taken place, which means he's already talked to his top choice informally. When he hired Trainer, Inglese, Hurley, he interviewed one person. I think that was the case with Rizzi, too. Thorr moves fast; the decision is his; he takes responsibility for the decision. Search committees are just a way to spread the blame when things go bad.
This isn't true. There was absolutely a search committee for Cathy Inglese. And there were 2 other finalists for the position.

Though Thorr does a good job of making sure the buck stops with him.
I remember Thorr telling me there would not be a search committee. And maybe there were two other "finalists" but he had identified Inglese as his top choice immediately.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Re: Pawtucket Times: URI football hire by mid-December

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

The finalists interviewed though...one of them was Dayna Smith (URI alum).

And I am 100% sure there was a search committee.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus