Other Non FBS-1A College Football Stadiums in the East

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Other Non FBS-1A College Football Stadiums in the East

Unread post by RF1 »

jcru wrote:OK, well the picture posted looks just like I remember it (from my view from the visitors stands). Is there a new picture?

Or, maybe the renovation was only for the visitors side, so that's why the difference isn't visible to me?

And it was Robin's Stadium back then, too. So, unless they made a completely new stadium with the same name, which isn't likely, it hasn't moved. I don't doubt they improved it though.

It seems you don't want to believe me. Unless you have been since 2010, it is a different stadium. UR used to play at an off campus stadium. They built a completely new football stadium at a cost of 28 million on their campus. The stadium is right behind the similarly named basketball arena (Robins Center).
Attachments
Richmond Stadium-3.jpg
Richmond Stadium-2.jpg
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I see. Yes, that is new. I remember vaguely the rumblings down there about those issues you mentioned: seating, location, the locals, etc.

It's fairly nice, by virtue that it is new. The capacity looks barely more than the old stadium though, it's not a lot of bang for the buck. Still, way beyond Meade, but that goes without saying.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The old off campus stadium that Richmond played at prior to 2010:

Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Stadium_(Richmond)
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

My memory of that stadium wasn't so good. This picture brings it back...

The big semi circle with the large rise opposite.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

jcru wrote:
Nothing has changed in 12 years with URI Football. The problem back then was URI needs to string two very successful seasons in a row to drive the motor for all of this to take place. Oh, so close was Stowers's second year when they started 7-0 with those wins against UD, JMU, Hofstra, and Brown, among others. Then, they hit a wall at home vs Maine, and that was basically the end of the Stowers era. If that momentum had carried for two full seasons, not necessarily going to the playoffs like they were well on their way to do that year, but winning seasons, this would all be different now.

I'll never forget: I was given a Press Pass for that Maine game, which I gave to my older brother who is a URI alumnus. I basically begged him to goto the game with me, and then I egged him on to go to the Press Conference afterwards. He did.

He went in there, and asked AD Ron Petro, in front of all those reporters and writers of the Projo, SC Independent, etc: "So what do you intend to do about the seating situation for the playoffs?"

And he responded, what do you mean?

Jim goes, "Well, we are likely going to host a playoff game, are you going to ask East Providence HS if you can use Pierce Field or maybe Cranston Stadium, because you can't be serious that you're going to hold it here, with those rent a stands in the South Endzone."

Petro: "Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

The whole room was dumbfounded. That is a true story. That's one of my favorite memories.

Jim was very popular at URI, he was a member of ZBT the year it burnt to the ground in the woods. He is much bolder than I am, he was like Blue Man is. You guys would like him. anyway, thought it was relevant to this whole stadium situation. You need to basically get lucky with one of these coaches in order to move forward, so choose wisely.
We lost that Maine game 26-14, and I don't know why, but I missed that game. Perhaps I had the flu or something.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru, I remember that season and your work covering the team very fondly. The Maine game less so. The official box score lists an attendance of 5803, at the time the Ryan Center was already under construction and the East stands only hold about 5200. I remember getting to the Maine game early and sitting in the normal student area behind the band. As the stands started to fill up there ended up being a lot of fighting between students and Maine fans because we were upset that they were sitting where the students normally sit and they were upset that we were standing for the game. Eventually the ushers came and had us sit. I also remember taking the trip with a few friends two weeks later to UMass where our playoff dreams officially died. Not a good couple weeks for Rhody football, but who knew then it'd still be the best we'd have for more than 12 years.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wait! Floyd Keith was a good coach?
I must've missed that.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Floyd keith was good recruiter who took over a program winning one game a year and left it winning one game a year. His teams stunk on game day,particularly on offense.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Coach Keith was awful! Keith was always all about himself and bettering himself and only himself. He didn't care about the school, his players or the team. Most of the players could not stand him!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Floyd keith was good recruiter who took over a program winning one game a year and left it winning one game a year. His teams stunk on game day,particularly on offense.

He maybe got talent. The problem however was that his talent had off field issues. It was Keith that brought the thugs to URI that would later attack the frat and set the program back big time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Keith was not a good coach. He didn't put in the time or effort needed, from what I heard.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I apologize if I missed it, but I didn't see Holy Cross

Capacity 23,500

http://www.goholycross.com/information/ ... n_football
0 x
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BIG_FISH_RI »

RF1 wrote:
Hal Kopp wrote:Floyd keith was good recruiter who took over a program winning one game a year and left it winning one game a year. His teams stunk on game day,particularly on offense.

He maybe got talent. The problem however was that his talent had off field issues. It was Keith that brought the thugs to URI that would later attack the frat and set the program back big time.
Let's give credit where the credit is due. Keith was a GREAT recruiter and he got a ton of talent to URI. Talent that should have NEVER been in Kingston. Coaches that were talented and worked their butts off. Look at the recent all time team. What era did most of the players come from>?>?>>>>>> Floyd Keith's. I can't sit here and let you bad mouth the man. If we are going to be honest lets be honest. The last time this team had any promis was FLOYD KEITH. The last time ESPN stepped foot on the campus was FLOYD KEITH. The last player from URI that showed up on an NFL roster played for FLOYD KEITH. The team was heading in the right direction then the accident happened. That killed that season as that team was 1 game away from winning the Yankee Conference and going to the playoffs.

THUGS!!!!!!!!!!!! HUMMMMMMM??????? A bunch of thugs with College degree's becasue under Floyd the football team had one of the HIGHEST graduating rates of all times. Something like 98% of his players earned a degree.
Attached a Frat HOUSE........ Yes that is correct. However what you failed to say was a football player was at a fraight party the night before and got the piss beat out of him by the frat brothers. Once the players heard about it they went to the frat house to clear things up. the frat's fought amoungst themselves every weeked. Nobody ever made a big deal about it. BUT when a few "thugs" run into the house and declair their own justice it is a problem. Funny thing is the original kid that got the piss beat out of him was a "non thug" and most of the players that went to the house was "non thugs". just so happens that 2 of the kids that was id'd was "thugs" so that is the story that eveyone runs with.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BIG_FISH_RI wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Let's give credit where the credit is due. Keith was a GREAT recruiter and he got a ton of talent to URI. Talent that should have NEVER been in Kingston. Coaches that were talented and worked their butts off. Look at the recent all time team. What era did most of the players come from>?>?>>>>>> Floyd Keith's. I can't sit here and let you bad mouth the man. If we are going to be honest lets be honest. The last time this team had any promis was FLOYD KEITH. The last time ESPN stepped foot on the campus was FLOYD KEITH. The last player from URI that showed up on an NFL roster played for FLOYD KEITH. The team was heading in the right direction then the accident happened. That killed that season as that team was 1 game away from winning the Yankee Conference and going to the playoffs.

THUGS!!!!!!!!!!!! HUMMMMMMM??????? A bunch of thugs with College degree's becasue under Floyd the football team had one of the HIGHEST graduating rates of all times. Something like 98% of his players earned a degree.
Attached a Frat HOUSE........ Yes that is correct. However what you failed to say was a football player was at a fraight party the night before and got the piss beat out of him by the frat brothers. Once the players heard about it they went to the frat house to clear things up. the frat's fought amoungst themselves every weeked. Nobody ever made a big deal about it. BUT when a few "thugs" run into the house and declair their own justice it is a problem. Funny thing is the original kid that got the piss beat out of him was a "non thug" and most of the players that went to the house was "non thugs". just so happens that 2 of the kids that was id'd was "thugs" so that is the story that eveyone runs with.

I had thought most of the all time URI team came from the glory years during the Griffin era.

Floyd Keith was an unpolished idiot that was a poor representative for the university. I cringed everytime a mic was put in front of him. Had no respect for the man. There were issues from day 1 of the Keith regime that the school later paid for. Can't say that I am not surprised he has never been a head coach anywhere else after his stint at URI. That in itself speaks volumes.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

I am not picking on Floyd Keith. Like a lot of URI coaches he was good recruiter,but bad at X's and O's.
He was in over is head as a head coach in A10.
0 x
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

He maybe got talent. The problem however was that his talent had off field issues. It was Keith that brought the thugs to URI that would later attack the frat and set the program back big time.[/quote]

Attached a Frat HOUSE........ Yes that is correct. However what you failed to say was a football player was at a fraight party the night before and got the piss beat out of him by the frat brothers. Once the players heard about it they went to the frat house to clear things up. the frat's fought amoungst themselves every weeked. Nobody ever made a big deal about it. BUT when a few "thugs" run into the house and declair their own justice it is a problem. Funny thing is the original kid that got the piss beat out of him was a "non thug" and most of the players that went to the house was "non thugs". just so happens that 2 of the kids that was id'd was "thugs" so that is the story that eveyone runs with.[/quote]

I had thought most of the all time URI team came from the glory years during the Griffin era.

Floyd Keith was an unpolished idiot that was a poor representative for the university. I cringed everytime a mic was put in front of him. Had no respect for the man. There were issues from day 1 of the Keith regime that the school later paid for. Can't say that I am not surprised he has never been a head coach anywhere else after his stint at URI. That in itself speaks volumes.[/quote]

RF1

we can discredit his coaching ability all we want. Yet the facts are the facts. We cant deny the players he got to URI, His coaches, nor the fact that the last time this team had any chance of really winning was Floyd.

Floyd had chances to go back into coaching. He landed a cushy position as the head of the Black Coaches Association and he is comfortable.

For the record I am not backing Floyd Keith. I just saying in order for this program to come up from the dirt it must 1st get a coach that can recruit. It seems like the forum has this notion that the facility needs the upgrade in order for the HC to get recruits here. That is just not true. Floyd had 0 and he was able to get some of the best players here in the history of the program. Thats the point I am trying to make.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I didn't want to get into a pissing match about Floyd Keith, but you keep saying things that aren't true. You keep saying that the last time we had a chance of winning was with him. In 2001, after Keith and under Coach Stowers, we had a winning record and were ranked in the top 5 for a good amount of the season with a solid shot to make the playoffs right up until the second to last week of the season. Keith only had one winning season himself, in 1995, and he never made the playoffs. Also, the 2001 team finished the season ranked #20th, Keith's 1995 team didn't finished ranked. The 2001 team was better than all of Keith's teams, so you can't make the claim that Keith's teams were the last that had a chance of winning.

Second you keep saying that Floyd was able to do what he did with nothing. If so, then everyone else has been working with less than nothing. When URI built the Ryan Center they lost about 50% of the stands, part of their practice fields, and locker room space. They've only since 2006 recovered some of those lost resources. Also, in the mid-2000's the East stands were condemned. Keith didn't have a lot to work with obviously, but he had more than every coach since.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I didn't want to get into a pissing match about Floyd Keith, but you keep saying things that aren't true. You keep saying that the last time we had a chance of winning was with him. In 2001, after Keith and under Coach Stowers, we had a winning record and were ranked in the top 5 for a good amount of the season with a solid shot to make the playoffs right up until the second to last week of the season. Keith only had one winning season himself, in 1995, and he never made the playoffs. Also, the 2001 team finished the season ranked #20th, Keith's 1995 team didn't finished ranked. The 2001 team was better than all of Keith's teams, so you can't make the claim that Keith's teams were the last that had a chance of winning.

Second you keep saying that Floyd was able to do what he did with nothing. If so, then everyone else has been working with less than nothing. When URI built the Ryan Center they lost about 50% of the stands, part of their practice fields, and locker room space. They've only since 2006 recovered some of those lost resources. Also, in the mid-2000's the East stands were condemned. Keith didn't have a lot to work with obviously, but he had more than every coach since.
Sorry your wrong. Stowers won with Floys recruits. Once Stowers got his own players in the program went down hill. I'm refuse to give Stowers the credit for Floyds players. 2001 team was better then the 95team?????? ARE YOU NUTS?????????
Man go check the record books and see how many players from the 95 team is in it then get back to me. 1st off Apgar was on the team best WR in URI history! D'agastino and Ferrara 1 and 2 all time in sacks!! many more. Liek I said chek the record books and get back to me before you make foolish statements.

Floys had less? WHAT? Did you ever see the locker room that the players had pre Ryan Center? The stand Pre- Ryan Center? The uniforms that the players had and practice gear? Your talking things you dont know about. How about the football weight room when Floyd was here? Or should I say the football closet?

I see there is a clear dislike for Floyd and I understand some of it. But like I said let's give credit where credit is due. The guy was a great recruiter. No coach since was able to get players to this school like Floyd. This is the point I'm making.
0 x
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

Last thing I'm going to post on here about Keith. I see the hate for the guy and some of it is deserved but give the guy credit. GO LOOK AT THE RECORD BOOKS - then reflect on howmany players show up that Keith recruited and brought here!!!!
I just went and looked - YOU GUYS ARE NUTS if you can honestly sit back and not give this man credit.
0 x