FB Head Coaching List

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: FB Head Coaching List

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Sean Devine OC Delaware
Robert Talley HC Stonehill
Tim Cramsey OC Montana St.
new names
Anyone comment?

Deep Throat aka " The Kingston Insider"
0 x
BIGDB85
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BIGDB85 »

Lots of great candidates but URI needs a guy that can turn it around the only way it can be turned around quickly,thru recruiting JC and prep guys! That guy is Todd Vasey!!!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Todd Vasey would be a wise choice from many, many different angles……...
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Vaseys name is in the hopper.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Great to hear!!! A proven winner, can recruit, and after so many disastrous seasons at Meade, expectations would be "sincere."
0 x
woonsocketURIfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by woonsocketURIfan »

From what I've read, Vasey has worked with majority of the New England prep schools during summer showcase camps (canterbury, deerfield, worcester,cheshire, suffield, williston, and some new school East coast prep). Obviously knows the JUCO northeast conference teams well.. His recruiting ties would greatly improve the depth chart.

Let's not forget a 70-30 record @ DEAN JC for 10 years... what hasn't been mentioned in this blog is URI's immediate need for competitiveness within the CAA.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Sean Devine OC Delaware
Robert Talley HC Stonehill
Tim Cramsey OC Montana St.
new names
Anyone comment?

Deep Throat aka " The Kingston Insider"
Of that group, Cramsey intrigues me. Successful offensive coach; worked at UNH so knows what it takes to build a program at that level.
Talley has been OK, but not great, at Stonehill.
I like Vasey because he won under difficult circumstances. I'm wary of a coach who won at a place that always wins.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Time for our guy THORR to make a good decision for URI FOOTTBALL not sure he's made one them for RAMS FOOTBALL yet.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rizzi was an excellent hire
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Yea, you're right but at the top level where the buck stops, it's not the hire but how the hire work out for the program. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Thorr's but I think it's easier to make a New England state school relevant at football in their respective division than we all think.

GO RHODY!
0 x
BIGDB85
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BIGDB85 »

Rhody doesn't need a D1 asst or retread HC,thate too typical!!!! We need a recruiting machine,at Rhody you cannot recruit just HS kids,you need Prep and JC kids,Vasey is the ticket!! FYI,that new program East Coast Prep has 50 PG's and just beat Bridgton! Vasey runs the Blue Chip Academy with those preps,never mind the JC connection!! He has recruiting inside,he's the guy!!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Vasey should be the hire…..it's logical………..SO HE WON'T BE HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :? :? :? :? :? :? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does anyone know when the announcement might take place?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think we assume that tons of people are going to jump at this job. We have rumors that this guy or that guy is interested, but do we really know? Like do we really know that Rossamando is even interested?

I'm not saying Vasey shouldn't be the guy. Out of the guys listed, he probably is interested, the biggest clue is all of the people shouting for him. He wouldn't have that kind of support, if he didn't let it at least slip he would be interested in taking the job.

I think that's great. If I am Thorr however, I don't know if I at least try to see who applies out of the names listed, narrow it down to the three best choices on the list, say Vasey and two others, and at least conduct interviews and talk to them. That could take a week or two. This hire is just so important, they all are.

At least he's not just handing it off to an assistant like last time. I think either of the two coaches mentioned above would be a definite improvement. What kind of offense does Vasey run? Does he cut up opposing defenses or does he just overpower the level of competition Dean plays at with superior talent? Don't forget, even though we don't think of URI as being a great football team, and the cupboard is far from full, the level of players in the CAA is considerable. I remember Stowers kind of taking that lightly. Like, just take the players Keith left, sprinkle a few new guys in there from all over and whammo. He learned the hard way that wasn't going to get the job done. It almost got the job done in year two, but when those guys graduated, the talent level dropped.

We need a guy who is going to implement a good system and who is going to get players to come here. Players will follow the right coach, and he'll choose the right players. Whipple prob had it easy at Brown, he's selling Brown, duh. But, even at UMass he was able to identify skill position players who would follow him there, in a similar fashion. That's what the next coach here needs. To come here and draw the same kind of players here. Because Whipple was going from Ivy to Div 1a, he only needed to improve the caliber of players he was already getting incrementally at UMass. There is a little bit more concern with someone coming from Div II or JUCO, and just taking the same level players to here. I'm sure all of these factors are racing around Thorr's head. I hope he makes a good call here.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

One thing I am told is one of leading candidates is still coaching (?).
I would expect and hope make hire this week or next.
Crazy,if it goes longer.
Two observations,1-if ,Whipple,Cosgrove,Rizzi and Furnesse's were interested in past, do not be surprised if most of the names on this list are too. Keeler inquired and Vasay has support of RH HS coaches. Going thru an interview will only help a candidate.
2. None of these open FCS jobs will be easy. Rhody is not unique in that regard. Albany and Stony brook had inauspicious debuts in CAA.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm surprised how many people seem to think Vasey should be the guy. He's got a good record at Dean, but does anyone here really know enough about Dean College, the Northeast Football Conference and their big rivals like Nassau County Community College to know how good of a job he's doing? Maybe Dean has great facilities compared to those places; maybe Dean is the URI equivalent of that conference. People talk about his connections to the prep and junior college circuit, but Trainer mined those same sources to limited success. Someone even mentioned that RI high school coaches think it would be a good idea if we hired him. Well they loved the idea of us moving to the NEC. They don't care if URI football is successful; they just want to say they got their players into college. I know this comes off as very negative, but I don't know enough about him to really be negative or even have an opinion one way or the other on him. I'm just surprised the seeming board consensus with him and the limited we seem to really know about his record.

As for some other candidates, we always wonder why New Hampshire and Maine are so much better than us. They play each other this week in the playoffs, so let's look at their coordinators. First you have UNH, who has made the playoffs 10 consecutive years. John Lyons has been their DC for the last 3 seasons. In 2013 UNH allowed the 2nd fewest points in conference play. In 2012 they were 3rd worst, in 2011 they were 7th. He was the head coach at Dartmouth from 1992-2004 and they won the Ivy twice with him as head coach. Ryan Carty has been on the UNH staff for 7 years, and has been OC for 2 of those. 2013 they were 5th in scoring and 2012 they were second. He's a former QB at Delaware and is responsible for UNH's recruiting in Northern NJ, Essex County, MA, and western NH.

Maine has made the playoffs in 2008, 2011, and obviously this year. Kevin Bourgoin has been their OC since 2007. In 07 they were 2nd to last in scoring. In 08-10 they were 7th. They were 4th in 2011, 6th in 12, and 3rd this year. He was receivers coach at Brown from 2000-05 and a wide receiver at UMass from 92-95. He's in charge of recruiting Southern NJ, Philly, and Delaware. Paul Ferraro has been their DC for 2 seasons. Last year they were 1st in points allowed and 3rd this year. From 2009-11 he was the St. Louis Rams LB coach. In 06-08 he was Special Teams Coordinator with the Vikings. In 05 he was special teams assistant with the Panthers. In 01-04 he was Rutgers DC. In 99-00 he was Georgia Tech's defensive backs coach. And he was Bowling Green's DC from 91-98. He's in charge of recruiting Northern Maryland and East and Central PA.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rhowdy-those are some good names.
Did you send them to Thorr? I would be happy to,if you would like. Better late than never.
Vasey appears to know/recruit talent(looking at their website),if RI HS coaches like him. Most HS coaches probably would.
It will be tough to go straight hire from JuCo to FCS for any coach.
0 x
BIGDB85
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BIGDB85 »

Hey,We don't need the typical hire!!! We need to go with a guy who took a program out of a hole!!! We are in a HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vasey is THE guy!!!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:Rhowdy-those are some good names.
Did you send them to Thorr? I would be happy to,if you would like. Better late than never.
Vasey appears to know/recruit talent(looking at their website),if RI HS coaches like him. Most HS coaches probably would.
I didn't send them to Thorr, I'm not even really sure any of these guys would be toward the top of my list. That post was more of a let's think along with what direction URI could be going and you said one of the top candidates was still coaching, so that got me thinking of Maine and New Hampshire. In theory they should have a really good grasp of what makes their school so much more successful than ours and they should know how to apply what works at those two schools here. I'm really hoping that Iggy's BC source is wrong and that Don Brown is still in play, and that's the candidate still coaching.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think you are absolutely right, RhowdyRam02. It's so difficult to know who to hire without a crystal ball. You could have 10 very competitive applicants, very strong background coaches, but only 2 out of 10 are going to be that person that has the right combination, not to mention luck, that is going to be able to pull this program out of the basement.

I hate to sound like that, but I know first hand, this is a freakin difficult job. Stowers basically sucker punched the league, but he couldn't ride that element of surprise forever. They eventually figured him out, and we were back in the same spot. It was a fun year, don't get me wrong, but we need more than a fun year here. We just went though the extended Rod Rust/Dick McPherson phase of this program. And the wrong hire will just be more of the same. Who is that guy out there that has all of the tools, plan, and attitude to reverse the direction of this program? Who the hell knows? Honestly.

Basketball got a head coach who was successful, albeit short term, but successful and promising at a conference level just below where Rhody is. So, the leap to go to this level and do the same thing wasn't so huge, and the risk is minimal. Football needs a guy like that. I don't know if a coordinator is going to be good enough. Its an option, but so is getting the JUCO guy. I think personally I would feel better with stealing the New Haven coach, or a scenario similar to that. That has been a proven farming ground for head coaches at this level in the past.

I don't envy Thorr on this one. At the same time, it couldn't get much worse than the last guy. A lot of these guys would be an instant improvement, but who can turn the program around is the question.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

BIGDB85 wrote:Hey,We don't need the typical hire!!! We need to go with a guy who took a program out of a hole!!! We are in a HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vasey is THE guy!!!!!
With all due respect, this is exactly the kind of post that has me really suspicious of Vasey. You say we, but you joined the board Wednesday night and all 3 of your posts are posts like this that are pro Vasey but light on details. Are you really we or do you have a connection to Vasey? You said in one post that Vasey is the guy because he can bring in jucos. Well if you look at the Rhody roster, Trainer brought in a bunch of jucos, including several of Vasey's Dean guys and the results speak for themselves. You say Vasey led Dean out of a hole. Could you describe the hole? Maybe give us Dean's record for the 5 years before Vasey took over. What did he do specifically to get Dean out of a hole? What facilities does Dean have and how do they compare with the teams in their conference? What other positions has Vasey held? I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but obviously you're a true believer. Great. Now give us some steak with the sizzle and give us specifics on why we should be true believers too.
0 x
BIGDB85
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BIGDB85 »

I am both a Dean and URI football alum. Dean has never had any real success on more than a year here,year there basis until Vasey! Dean had lived in a hole for 40 years in regards to football until him! I have watched URI do nothing for 10 years plus,so have we all!!! He did it at Dean,I think he can do it at URI!!!! Rather simple!!! I like the Dude,he's a winner!!!
0 x
woonsocketURIfan
Jim Eitner

The worst possible scenario for Rhody football would be another Rizzi scenario. I would hope URI would evaluate candidates past coaching resume and consider likelihood of flight risks. Although a crystal ball would greatly predict the future job prospectus for college football coaches, Rhody needs sustainable leadership.

It seems Vaseys name is appearing more frequently within this blog. 10 years coaching juco football, built the program with national prestige, and you would hope the URI administration would want someone with those qualities.

I cannot imagine a coach not being hired before the end of December. The mid year juco signing period and high school signing day is vastly approaching.
0 x
woonsocketURIfan
Jim Eitner

Hal Kopp wrote:Rhowdy-those are some good names.

Lamar University hired JUCO Head Coach Ted Woodward to lead a start up FCS program...
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Anthony Bakersville Wide Receivers Coach at Dean

Unread post by OBRAM »

Just a note of interest, Anthony Bakersville is the
Wide Receivers Coach at Dean.

http://www.dean.edu/uploadedFiles/Conte ... taff13.pdf
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I missed it....when did Lamar get his own University ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:Does anyone know when the announcement might take place?
Dec. 20
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That tells us one of 2 things:

That is due either to state hiring practices, or whoever the pick is, will be done coaching this year.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Doesn't mean either.

Nice mindless guess though.

GO RHODY!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

That's the date brady1 eases up on the Snide Pedal…………….
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:That's the date brady1 eases up on the Snide Pedal…………….
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
BIGDB85
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BIGDB85 »

Well,the clock is ticking.................. If they had a Guy in place(Vasey),they would be 5 players closer to having a winning team!!! Somethings never change!!!!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

BIGDB85 wrote:Well,the clock is ticking.................. If they had a Guy in place(Vasey),they would be 5 players closer to having a winning team!!! Somethings never change!!!!
What was it like playing for him? Do you still call him coach or fill up his water bottles? Just curious, you know.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The rumor is Pat Narduzzi turned down the UConn position this morning.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
ramster wrote:Does anyone know when the announcement might take place?
Dec. 20
Iggy nailed the date two weeks ago to the day. Winner winner chicken dinner.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Iggy will tell you it was "Obvious"

GO RHODY!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Well done, Iggy. Huge asset to our community here.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Don't know why you guys doubt me!
0 x