FB Head Coaching List

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

The List

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

OK,here we go,candidates for next coach @ Rhody:

KC Keeler (told by reliable source he is interested) ex Delaware HC 1 Natl. championship.
Pete Rossamando (New Haven)
Reggie Barlow (Alabama State)
Pat Narduzzi (Mich. St.)
Bob Chesney (Assumption)
Todd Vasey (Dean JC)
Tom Masella (Wagner asst.)
Brian Jenkins (Bethune Cookman HC)
Mark Nofri (Sacred Heart HC)
Don Brown (BC asst)
Mark Whipple

Quite a list. If any others,let me know so can add when I send to Thorr. I will bet for half these guys,it is a slam dunk.
Need ASAP any others.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The List

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I think he's been retired for a while, but a former player once told me that Danny Kapstein was the best coach he ever played for or worked with, and that he guaranteed the team would win under him. He may have applied during a past search.
There is no way Narduzzi would come back, but if my initials are TB, he is the FIRST person I call. "Pat, who do you think we should talk to?" Thorr probably has already called him, I imagine.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rudder I agree 100% about reaching out to Narduzzi, at the very least to ask that question. Curious though, why do you say there is no way he would come back?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Who is Danny Kapstein?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Or Denny Kapstein? The HS coach?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I liked Joe as a person but so long Mr. Trainor. I don't know much about College football coaches but I'd like someone who can recruit better.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Danny did coach in high school, he's jeremy's brother.
He may or may not be out of his league in the caa, but he could motivate players, and he knows the game.
I'm not saying I would hire him as hc, I'm just repeating what was told to me by a very good player.
It's doubtful he would be interested in any event.
And bos, rhody's salary is probably 15 % of what he makes now.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Will we see a press release Monday indicating that Rhody will not seek to extend Trainor and is now in a nation-wide search for next Football head coach?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Dan Hurley? just kidding
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

twisted3829 wrote:Dan Hurley? just kidding
Who's the football equivalent?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't know Wagner's coach :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Pat Narduzzi is making a lot of money to coach at Mich State. he is in line for a big time gig soon.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Narduzzi is worth a try.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Tom Masella is asst. @ Wagner.
He was head coach at CCSU,BU and Fordham.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

KC Keeler looks like he has had a lot of success at the D-1AA level.
Would a DC from a school like Michigan State want to take a job here? I'm not sure.
Don't really know any of these guys, but maybe one of them is the right one.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If Trainer is going to be fired or not renewed the announcement could come as early as today. Jim Baron's last game was Saturday, March 3rd and there was an official announcement of his termination the next day.

Now onto some thoughts on candidates:

Eric Taylor-he might be the only coach that could turn around all the losing in the face of such terrible facilities. Currently coaching in Philadelphia after a very successful stint in Dillon, TX.

KC Keeler-he's certainly intriguing and has the pedigree, but there is a red flag in regards to his dismissal from Delaware. In 2010 he makes the FCS championship game, in 2011 they went 7-4 and finished the year ranked 17th. Then 2012 they go 5-6 and he's let go. That seems to be a really quick hook for a coach as young as him that had his track record at the school.

Reggie Barlow-he's currently coaching at his alma mater and has turned down two NFL assistant positions. He seems unlikely to move.

Pat Narduzzi-no chance. No chance in hell. He's a 47 year old Big 10 coordinator whose team is ranked 4th in the nation in scoring defense. The coaching ladder for guys like that doesn't have them taking a FCS head coaching position. This offseason he will probably become a head coach at a BCS level school, with a return to his birth state and the head position at UConn probably being his floor. If we call him for any reason other than to congratulate him on his success and ask if he has any opinions on guys we should look into we're wasting his time and ours.

Tom Masella-this guy has gone 44-66 in his career at Boston University, Central Connecticut, and Fordham. We have a thread in this forum about how much better Fordham became when they got rid of him and went in a new direction. Unless you're looking for a coach who has experience being the last coach in a program's history like he has at BU I'm not sure why he'd be on the list of people you look into.

Brian Jenkins-not really sure why he would leave his home state and Bethune-Cookman to come here. Seems like he's already in a better position.

Don Brown-intriguing candidate who has even gotten winning seasons out of Northeastern. Was head coach at UMass from 04-08 and Thorr was AD responsible for the day-to-day operations of football during most of his tenure. Could he be another guy that is going for the UConn position (he was their DC in 11 and 12)? Would he prefer to stay as DC at a BCS level school?

Mark Whipple-intriguing candidate who has good local name recognition from his time at Brown and was highly successful at UMass. He also overlapped Thorr's time at UMass.

Darren Rizzi-coached here for one year with a 3-9 record. Many people believe he was turning around the program, but does he get the benefit of the doubt from those people because he went to school here and he didn't stick around long enough to see what would happen one way or the other? Thorr was the AD who hired him originally. Would Thorr hire him again even though he only stayed for one season the first time? Is Rizzi interested in getting out of dodge before things go really bad with the Dolphins? Would he be interested in a return?

My top three so far are Keeler, Brown, and Whipple.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rhowdy-thats a great three.
There will be some great candidates.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There will be good candidates, but none of those mentioned will come here unless they are given some assurances that there will be infrastructure improvements. In a more or less specific time frame also.

Without them, don't bother.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This is a bit premature. I understand Trainor was given a 1-year extension because of the NEC-CAA change-of-heart. Since he's a lame duck, I don't foresee any improvement next year.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

2010 was JT's 2nd year. 4-4 in CAA. Worst loss was by 19 @ #4 William & Mary.
2011: 2-6 in CAA. Worst loss, by 18 @ #19 James Madison.

So in the 2 years before the administration decided to leave (and then stay, which I still feel is the right decision), the team was 6-10 with ZERO 20-point losses.

The team has lost 14 league games in the last 2 years, by an average of 31 points, and their CLOSEST loss was by 20.

How the heck did they win 2 games this year?

Given the history, with 2 winning seasons and only the one .500 year in 2010 since the last playoff berth, and the .250 record in league games since then, I was actually shocked when I looked at the scores from 2010 & 2011. It just feels like we've always been bad, so to see competitive games that recently makes it really clear how much that pump-fake hurt the program.

We actually beat UMass, Villanova and UNH in 2010 and Delaware in 2011, all ranked in the top 20, and lost by 7 @ Syracuse in '11.

If Maine and UNH can compete and win, there is absolutely no reason that Rhody can't have a good team as well.

All that being said, I think they have to make a move.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

OK,so Coach Trainer has one more year. I will stop the thread.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

I would bet an announcement comes by tomorrow.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hal Kopp wrote:OK,so Coach Trainer has one more year. I will stop the thread.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3
ARD

He has one more year? I thought we said this was his last year. Can we get a definite answer?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

This doesn't answer the question 100%, but I think JT is gone even if he has 1 year left to go.

URI kicks off 2013 football season against Fordham
By Bill Koch Sports Editor | Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:15 pm

BRONX, N.Y. ---
"It starts tonight.
The University of Rhode Island football team’s opportunity to restore pride and respectability to its program is upon us
The Rams travel to Fordham for their 115th opener in program history, a 7 p.m. kickoff at Jack Coffey Field....
URI coach Joe Trainer is in the last year of the five-year contract he signed when he took over the program in 2009."
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

They way the season ended, with the rough performances over the last 3-4 games I think really hurt his chances of returning.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

He doesn't deserve to get his job back. Not one winning season since he has been here, and the last two seasons we haven't even been competitive.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rhody74 says Trainer will be coach for one more year.
Going to take it as gospel until see otherwise.
I like joe personally and hope his next season is a great one @ Rhody.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

I would like to apologize to the members of this board for the confusion. It was my understanding that Joe Trainer had one year left on his deal entering the 2013 season. I was mistaken. Trainer has one additional year -- the 2014 season -- that was tacked on as an extension somewhere during the CAA/NEC conference U-turn. This was not very widely publicized, but it is a fact.
I will keep folks informed of any developments as always at my Twitter account, @BillKoch25. I have heard nothing at this point to suggest Trainer will not see out the length of his deal. Thanks for your understanding and your interest.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Pat Narduzzi makes $512,000 as Michigan State's Defensive Coordinator.

Here's a good article on him from a few weeks ago.
Fiery Pat Narduzzi, shaped by loss of dad, eventually could be Spartans' next coach

I don't want anything to do with Darren Rizzi.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

I guess I will hold off buying season tickets after I graduate.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

No need to apologize.
It's obvious that everyone who cares even a little about rhody fb is upset.
To echo again what lots of people, including some on this board, say...it doesn't look like jt is the right guy, despite the decent results in '10 & '11 and the excuses that helped bring about the past 2 campaigns. He doesn't inspire confidence that the team is moving in the right direction at present.
I think it's likely that he will not be back.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rizzi is going to leave the NFL for the train wreck that is URI. He probably thanks God every night that he got out of town.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyfan3
ARD

Can we afford to buyout trainer? The only reason why I think he will be back is because we can't afford to buy him out.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

While I think Trainer has to go, it doesn't make much sense spending limited football funds to buy him out without a definite plan and commitment to build the program.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agree with last two posts. Can't see how we buy out a coach without having a comprehensive plan and the means to execute it.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

So we keep Baron, the old floor, and all the other bullshit cuz we can't buy him out of one year. That doesn't seem consistent with the things you said between 2008 and 2012. And that was while the bb team was WINNING GAMES!!!!! (for the most part)

Think big.

I'm tired of sucking. These last 2 years, in all sports, have really bummed me out. I want wins. Today.
I want conference championships and playoff games. What do we get instead? 50 point beatdowns. Blowouts every time we're on espn. No conference tournament even.
I'm tired of it.

I want a new coach yesterday, literally. Someone who can get a freakin' point against Maine.

Trainer will cost a helluva lot less to buy out than Baron did.

And, oh yeah, I want improved facilities, like a decent office, a track, stands with concessions on the east side.

Think big.

I want a new coach, a full assortment of scholarships, and a team that isn't a freakin embarrassment.

This is my school. I'm tired of the bs.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well said, rr!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I can't see Coach T leaving with a year left on his contract.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

I doubt this has any correlation, but Baron was fired on a Sunday, after the basketball teams last loss on a Saturday. It is already mid-afternoon on Monday and we haven't heard anything at all. If I were to guess, he will be here next year.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Trainer has been fired. The list can continue. Saw this from Bill Koch's twitter account. Someone who knows how to post the tweets can if they would like.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 13m
#URI football coach Joe Trainer out after five seasons, @IndependentRI confirms. Trainer posted 12-44 record with the #Rams. #CAAFB

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 12m
Trainer notified of decision in Monday meeting with #URI AD Thorr Bjorn. One year remaining on contract. Settlement terms undisclosed. #Rams

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 12m
Source tells @IndependentRI Trainer met with coaching staff this morning. Will meet with #URI players this afternoon. #Rams #CAAFB

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2013 ... 1118ugvggr
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I made a separate topic for the Trainer firing - http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2425 - So this topic can be kept for the discussion concerning his replacement.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

See my previous posts. JT was doing a respectable job until the pump-fake, so I don't think he holds even a majority of the blame. I hope he and his family will end up on their feet at a better program.
I hope the assistant coaches all have similar good fortune, and I'm sure that they will have better situations at different schools/teams, at least in the short term.
Thanks to all of you for your tremendous efforts over the last few seasons.

To the administration, both in the athletic department and the president's office: let's go!

THINK BIG!!!

Get a top-notch coach, give him the tools to improve the program, and make a commitment.
There are some of you who know from experience that a quality football team, even at the 1-AA level, can add significantly to the overall atmosphere of campus life. Be determined to show the current freshmen in Kingston the positive benefits of a winning football team.

Be all in!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

This is the equivlent of UNH constantly firing basketball coaches,
and doing nothing to improve their program, beside changing coaches.
If URI doesn't step up and improve facilities, and make a real commitment to
doing things the right way, it's Groundhog Day.
Nothing will change.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The fact that Thorr moved on this knowing he'd have to eat a year makes me optimistic that he has someone in mind that he thinks he can get and who he thinks can succeed here. The same thing happened with the Baron firing/Hurley hire. He knew he wanted Hurley and I think that emboldened him to pull the trigger.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

FB Head Coaching List

Unread post by Blue Man »

Mike Faragalli HAS to be on that list. Look him up.

URI Alum/grad assistant coach. National championship as offensive coordinator for Richmond in 08. Couple of grey cups as offensive coordinator for the tiger cats and eskimos back in the day. Running backs coach for Virginia 2010-2012.

I just wanna see a functioning offense.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Re: FB Head Coaching List

Don't settle blue man.
Want a winner.
I want a tournament team in '15.
If the Sox can win it all, and if Maine can win the CAA, then don't settle for adequate.
Think big!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I know when ever they start the interview process, there will be numerous important questions. Item one: can you recruit quality players to compete in the CAA???
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote:Don't settle blue man.
Want a winner.
I want a tournament team in '15.
If the Sox can win it all, and if Maine can win the CAA, then don't settle for adequate.
Think big!
Just curious...how does 2 1a bowl victories, 2 grey cups, and a national championship not = a winner?

More importantly he won at this level at lafayette and richmond - and he's an alum with family around here so it's not like he's looking to pull a rizzi.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL