FOOTBALL: Last home game

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

FOOTBALL: Last home game

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody takes on villanova in the last home game.
I hope I'm just being paranoid, but it wouldn't surprise me all that much if the word 'ever' could be added to that sentence.
Evidence against: the decision to stay in CAA this year, and a subsequent increase in schollys.
But I have a bad feeling about the future.
If you haven't visited the fb offices in a while, they're worse than many 3rd world countries.
I can't believe anyone in the athletic department even suggested that whatever work is being done now take place in the middle of a season. Let's just say the offices at LSU are a wee bit nicer. In fact, the offices at EVERY SINGLE FOOTBALL-PLAYING COLLEGE IN THE COUNTRY are nicer.
Can we rent a couple of trailers?
Anyway, it just seems to me like no one cares.
I hope I'm wrong.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Re: FOOTBALL: Last home game

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Football will remain. A lot of long term goals being discussed but as always, funding is the key. URI's problem financially across the board is its low endowment. URI's consistently low endowment hurts big tine. Other colleges of similar size have huge endowments, hell I learned recently that Phillips Exeter School in NH has an endowment of 1 BILLION and that's a boarding high school!!!! URI's is a fraction of that.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

OK,here we go again.
1. Allegedly,Stowers liked the offices above Keaney. If true,that affected no change.
2. Aren't there empty rooms in the Ryan Ctr. (so I am told) ?? If yes,move the FB offices there.

Somone please answer # 2.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Stayed for the whole game 45 to 0. 88 total yards, no first downs in the second half. The play calling was pathetic. This was joe's last home game, An absolute embarrassment
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

neil wrote:Stayed for the whole game 45 to 0. 88 total yards, no first downs in the second half. The play calling was pathetic. This was joe's last home game, An absolute embarrassment

I need not read any further analysis.

In Neil I trust. Horrible!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bye bye Joe bye bye

?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

neil wrote:Stayed for the whole game 45 to 0. 88 total yards, no first downs in the second half. The play calling was pathetic. This was joe's last home game, An absolute embarrassment
Neil, nice to talk to you briefly. I wanted to stay but my son won out... He was freezing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Doesn't the CAA have minimum standards that member schools have to meet, in order to stay in the CAA?

If they do, then I'm surprised URI qualifies. The facilities here have to easily be the worst in the league. Things such as practice and training areas, seating capacity, etc.

How do you hire a quality staff, if the offices and everything else, is substandard? You get what you pay for. In Rhody's case, that isn't much.

P.S. With such limited talent, it doesn't surprise me that the play calling is pathetic. You can't do much with nothing. Whoever they hire to replace Trainor, that staff either has to produce, or it's over.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

We got pushed around by a bigger faster team. Nova has Defensive ends, 6'8", 295lb. running backs 6'0" 260LBS.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if we want to compete at that level, we have to have players like that.

With the current situation, I doubt we ever will.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As mentioned in another thread, men's basketball may be the ONLY sport that URI actually tries to be successful in. It seems to be about the only one where money and effort comparable to peers is put forth by the school.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Other than maybe baseball. Of course the costs for baseball aren't nearly as high as football.

Other than the SADC, there's been nothing but talk about improving the football product. As we all know, talk is cheap.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

At this point, with all the uncertainty, football is a bad investment. It's in a really really bad place right now.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Why isn't the woman's team more successful?
They have the same selling points as the men's team,
but don't seem to be making similar progress.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Football is truly at a crossroads right now. I'm sure URI and Bjorn is going to try to save it with a new and better coaching staff, but without other infrastructure improvements, it will be just another band aid, in a long line of band aid failures.

The next coaching staff, imo, will be the LAST coaching staff if these things don't happen. URI football is officially on death watch. I give it 2-3 years, tops.

It might come down to how successful the BB program becomes, and how much additional revenue is generated from that.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Uri should never get rid of football. Ever. Go to a game like homecoming or parents weekend and you'll see that nothing compares to it. Fall weather football mix like nothing else. Basketball is my favorite sport but things like alumni events and the cannon going off after a score. The band playing loud. It would. Be disgraceful to give football the boot. Make an effort to compete and the outcomes would be endless. Go to a non football school...it sucks.
0 x
GO RAMS