URI Men's Soccer - The Losing Continues

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

URI Men's Soccer - The Losing Continues

Unread post by RF1 »

Whatever happened to URI Soccer? Seems Bradley was what made it successful.

URI Men's Soccer as of 10-26-13
Overall record: 2-9
A-10 Record: 0-3
Total Goals For: 9
Total Goals Allowed: 23
Shutout: 6 games
Losses to programs such as NJIT (at home), UNH, and Stony Brook

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/2013-14/schedule
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: URI Men's Soccer - The Losing Continues

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's also the first year under a new coach, give it a couple years
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pretty bad when the football team has more wins than soccer. URI closed out its season with a 3-0 home loss to Dayton to finish at 2-14 overall and winless in A-10 play at 0-8. 8 straight losses to end the year. Scored just 11 goals in a 16 game season. Allowed opponents 37 goals. Lots of work for new coach just to get this program competitive again.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Gotta hope for a big upgrade in performance next year with one full year under coach's belt.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Gotta hope for a big upgrade in performance next year with one full year under coach's belt.
Sounds familiar.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Get the feeling that the men's BB program is getting all the bells and whistles, compared to the rest of the athletic dept. That's the best and only way to do it, given the limited resources available right now. If NCAA tournament success does come in the next couple of years, then the additional revenue can be spread around to other programs.

Imo that's the ONLY way that football can be saved. Even with extra money, some of that will have to go to Dan [or his eventual successor] to keep the program at a high level.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

From what I've seen, that student athlete complex is looking nice.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not only was this Gareth Elliott's first season as head coach, but you have to hope that the success we had under Ed Bradley could be built up again considering Bradley came back as Director of Operations and Elliott both played for Bradley and was one of his assistants for three seasons.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Not only was this Gareth Elliott's first season as head coach, but you have to hope that the success we had under Ed Bradley could be built up again considering Bradley came back as Director of Operations and Elliott both played for Bradley and was one of his assistants for three seasons.

The soccer program can't possibly get any worse. It appears that is was a pretty young team based on very few seniors. Hopefully inexperience was a key reason for their play.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The coaches are planning on tying Cameron's success with the MNT and the EPL into their rebuilding. Several alums, sadly I won't be able to join them, are traveling across the pond after Thanksgiving for a week or so. Geoff was MOTM today against Sunderland, and the announcers could not stop talking about the quality of his play. He nearly had a goal for the Yanks in a midweek friendly in Austria as well. The ball may have crossed the goal line before being knocked out, and even if it didn't, a penalty should have been awarded when it deflected off an opponent's hand. He is really at the top of the game right now, and it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the world's glamor teams make a play for him soon. If he lights it up in Brazil next year he will certainly attract some serious offers.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Drop football and convert the football field to a soccer field. Move the lights at the soccer field and add some more and you will have a top notch venue. Use dollars saved from football to upgrade soccer program and fund more things for basketball!!!!!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Then soccer attendance goes from 5 to 6 people. Sorry its not the players school or coaches, its the sport. On the other hand you get 3000 people to a 3-678 football team. Add money to that program . You do the math . No offense by the way soccer is fun to play but not watch.
0 x
GO RAMS
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

Football costs the school millions a year but brings in very little. The future of sports at URI should be with soccer, baseball, LAX, and with basketball leading the way. Show me how football can lose less than 2 mill a year! No offense to the track or golf team. The only locals who care about football are those who work at URI.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Then soccer attendance goes from 5 to 6 people. Sorry its not the players school or coaches, its the sport. On the other hand you get 3000 people to a 3-678 football team. Add money to that program . You do the math . No offense by the way soccer is fun to play but not watch.

I agree with this. No offense to the soccer fans on this board, but I cant imagine college soccer generating as much excitement or interest as college football, regardless of team performance. I also realize there are only a handful of FCS football programs that actually generate any revenue. Football has a great opportunity being in the CAA, with commitment and funding, URI can be be a sustainable program. Our football program has been in the dumps for years, but yet I still manage to attend at least a few home games a year with a car full of people (2 hour drive), its a fun time and the sport is much better to watch. I have never been to a URI soccer game in my life. If anything, I'd rather hitch my wagon to becoming a D1 hockey power where we can tap into the very rich talent pool in the Northeast.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

URI soccer is about to become unbelievably important.
An alum will be a key piece of the USA World Cup squad
next summer that is going to make a lot of noise in the
Group of Death.
Cameron is quickly becoming one of the best players in the world.
There's no need to dump on soccer. I want championships from
both teams in the fall.
I know you weren't dumping, by the way, but the hockey
comment seems out of place.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

rhodyrudder wrote: Cameron is quickly becoming one of the best players in the world.
...he's not one of the top 50 defenders playing in one of the top 5 European Leagues. He's not even the best defender on Stoke (that would be Ryan Shawcross).

I love his development too, and I'm proud of him as an alumn/American, but lets not overstate how well Geoff is doing over there.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

The key is that Cameron is doing well for Stoke. Is he developing into one of the best players in the World? Put it this way: he's developing (at age 28) into a good, very solid EPL player. In and of itself, absolutely commendable!!!
Anytime, folks, that a URI alumnus breaks into the top-tier of any professional sport only results in more name-recognition for URI.
Alumni and friends of URI should hope for success in all the sports the school participates in, at any level of designation.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Cam is going to play in the group of death.
Shawcross has never played in any WC match.
The transfer window is about to open.
There's going to be a lot more talk of Cam
going to a top club than there will be of any
other Potter, except maybe Begovic.
Shawcross is OK, but Cam, imho, is the best
field player on that team, and it isn't even close.
He almost never has a bad touch.
He did have one yesterday, but I don't think it
led to a goal.
Stoke has not been very pleasant to watch lately.
The ref handed Newcastle the game on Thursday,
and suspension and injury left them very shorthanded
yesterday. But even when they're at full strength, they
don't ever have midfield possession and buildup.
I hope Cam gets transferred to a Champions League
squad that needs a good back. We'll see.
If he stays with Stoke through May, then plays as well
as he's been of late and the Yanks do some damage,
the sky is the limit.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody r sounds like he knows what he is talking about.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

It's somewhat easier to be a top four defender in the US (the Group of Death thing is a little irrelevant, because it's a random draw, and also, there is a tougher group in the World Cup) than it is in England...which is part of the point. For the US team, he played CDM when Bradley was out, and he didn't embarrass himself, but as soon as Bradley came back, Cameron moved to the defense again.

I hadn't heard any rumors about Cameron moving in January, and I just did a Google search and nada, and The BBC agrees. What teams are in on him?

On Stoke...I would say that Begovic is their best player (he's hurt now) and then Crouch, Shawcross and Charlie Adam. Then Cameron. You might disagree but I'm fine with that. Shawcross is also the captain and younger than Cameron. That doesn't mean he's physically better by any stretch, but he at least demands more respect in the training room.

The other day against Tottenham, Aaron Lennon made him look really out of his depth whenever he cut inside, to the point where he needed support from N'zonzi and Pieters (who didn't fare much better)...he's had a tough couple games for a mid-table side, where as a dominant player (like being one of the best in the world would be) wouldn't have.

And finally, if he moved to a top 8 team, I doubt he would play in big games. I'm really trying to see a side he would crack, without injury, that has Champions League ambitions. Keeping in consideration that Cameron plays on the right....

Arsenal has Sagna on the right, and Mertersacker and Koscielny in the middle
City have Zabaletta on the right, and Kompany and Demichelis.
Chelsea have Ivanavic, Terry and Cahill (or Luiz)
Everton: Jaglielka, Distan and Coleman
Liverpool: Glen Johnson, Skrtl, Agger (or Toure, Flanagan, Sahko etc)
Man United: Jones, Vidic, and Evans
Spurs: Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen (or Chiriches/Kaboul)
Newcastle: Santon, Debuchy, Coloccini

Most of these guys are younger, and more trenched in than Cameron. Which of these teams would open up a spot for him? Liverpool at right back maybe, depending on if Johnson can stay fit, but that's it.

I'm rooting hard for Cameron, and I'm glad that he went to URI and that his existence in the Prem (like bressler said) only helps the University. But me wanting him to do well and be world class doesn't make it so...no matter how much I wish for it.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Cameron should pray that he doesn't get transferred, because he is receiving maximum field-time. If he were to get moved to an elite squad before the window closes his standing with the new club would be mostly SITTING. He is in the perfect situation. Leave well enough alone.
By-the-way: He's no Babe in Toyland, just out of college or age 23-26.
0 x