8,000 people watch URI beat Richmond 12-10

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

8,000 people watch URI beat Richmond 12-10

Unread post by Bos8 »

URI wins despite starting QB Bob Bentsen throwing 3 interceptions and the offense being unable to get into the endzone. The defense came up big multiple times today including recovering a Richmond fumble on the 25 with 1:19 left as Richmond was driving to secure the win.
The attendance was 7,936.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: 8,0000 people watch URI beat Richmond 12-10

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Bos8-Spot on-the attendance has always been good,particularly in light of the W-L record.
Start winning and that is 15,000 people.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

URI was 2-5 and Richmond was 2-4. So you had 8,000 people show up to watch to teams that were a combined 4-9. While the offense continues to struggle, the defense and especially the special teams have shown improvement. We finally have a serviceable punter, and Josh Moody blocked his fourth field goal of the year. Dylan Smith tied a URI record with 4 field goals. We averaged over 40 yards per kick off return, and out punted them by an average of 12 yards. Starting position was what won the game. It felt like we were starting many of our possessions in their territory.
With homecoming next week, hopefully we get a big crowd.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Bos8-good review. A fan who like me is able to see the forest thru the trees.
I will be there next week.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Awesome. I think it's time to invest in football. It will only help URI BBALL with the college sports landscape developing the way it is.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There is nothing like a fall afternoon spent on the campus of your alma mater being with friends, tailgaiting, and watching a competitive team play football games they have a chance to win.......

....in a perfect world Rhode Island turns the history of the program around and it becomes perennially competitive and 15,000 people come to each home game....

.....since I am dreaming I would also like to have a Division 1 varsity hockey team for both men and women.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: 8,000 people watch URI beat Richmond 12-10

Unread post by neil »

Some thoughts from section 9

1. Great win with major contributions from special teams and defense.
2. At the beginning of the game, I think our d backs were playing off their receivers. Soon after they were picking them up right at the line. Nice change by our coaches on defense.
3. Offensive play selections were confusing. We once ran the ball four consecutive times up the middle. Trainor on GoRhody said that we might want to run outside because of their interior defense. At other times, Bentsen threw the ball long on consecutive plays. Most of his long throws were not accurate.
4. A reverse!!!!! (and it worked)
5. We need some sort of change in our red zone philosophy, especially when we are inside the five. Running it up the middle? How about a role out where Bentsen has an option of running or throwing. I don't think I've seen that yet this year.
6. OK, it sounds like I'm complaining, but we came to play especially the defense. They made the plays when they had to - nailing the spiders on numerous third down situations.
7. Does two more wins save Joe's job?
8. A fun day under the sunshine at Kingston - Go Rhody!
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

How many times did the URI D almost intercept a pass just over the middle, from Tips and other plays, the the ball was in and out of the URI player? It must have happened at least 4 times.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ladies and gentleman, THIS is why we keep football. Great game. Our QB is one of the worst I've ever seen in a rhody uniform but with our defense special teams and running game, we pulled out a good win. Edge of your seat excitement.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'll be honest, I know its family weekend but if we have seasons with winning records, we won't have another choice buy to build more stands for seating. That place was packed
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Wish I could have been among the 8k that watched the Rhody win. Keep 'em coming!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Hal Kopp wrote:Bos8-Spot on-the attendance has always been good,particularly in light of the W-L record.
Start winning and that is 15,000 people.
There is no way 15,000 people will be in Meade Stadium without renovation, which would be a major investment that the school has shown no willingness to make.

You're talking about almost twice as many as were there on Saturday...there just isn't physical room to fit that right now.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Can we get the fire marshal to declare the stands a safety hazard to the public. We can name the new stands in honor of Mo Zarchen.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

The wins are bitter sweet for me because of one reason. If they win one or two more games, I am afraid they will keep Trainer on as the coach. In my opinion, it is just embarrassing seeing him yell at the refs constantly even well after the play is over. He does it every game, and the refs do not even acknowledge him anymore. He has NEVER had a winning season as a head coach. He was a combined 13-20 at Millersville (Division 2) and he currently has a coaching record of 12-40 since he has taken over at URI. Clearly his formula does not work. He needs to go whether we win a few more or not.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF3, I feel you are correct there.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

RF3-right on.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

jmck wrote:Can we get the fire marshal to declare the stands a safety hazard to the public. We can name the new stands in honor of Mo Zarchen.
They were condemned a few years ago and had to be renovated. The press box was in such bad shape the coaches were relocated to the suites in the Ryan Center.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

While the product has been awful URI gets good crowds by having: Family Day, Homecoming and Military Appreciation Day. I went to all the games last year and most of the fans around me had no idea about the team or the players. It was kind of like being at a minor league baseball game; the fans enjoy themselves no matter who wins.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."