FOOTBALL: Game #7 - New Hampshire 59, Rhody 19

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

FOOTBALL: Game #7 - New Hampshire 59, Rhody 19

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

fire everybody.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: FOOTBALL: Game #7 - New Hampshire 59, Rhody 19

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That got out of hand quickly. Last I checked it was "only" 13 to 32 or something in the late 2nd quarter.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ATPTourFan wrote:That got out of hand quickly. Last I checked it was "only" 13 to 32 or something in the late 2nd quarter.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

My niece is a UNH cheerleader and we went to the game...we could not stop the run at all ( not much else either)...every run seemed to go for 20+ yards. Also, their stadium is about as bad as ours.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i hear Lane Kiffin is looking for a job
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea I'm sure by now everyone on staff and beyond realizes that something or everything needs to change. This is just disgraceful.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

UNH got a big crown, must have been homecoming

Stadium: Cowell Stadium
Attendance: 18,412
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Peavey finally got in at QB.
His stats looked pretty good.
Any one watch him play?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I listened to the game. I kept listening hoping Kolt would get a shot. He moved the chains, but stats may be deceiving. The TD pass was on a 4th and long, and was caught on a deflection.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Bos8 wrote:I listened to the game. I kept listening hoping Kolt would get a shot. He moved the chains, but stats may be deceiving. The TD pass was on a 4th and long, and was caught on a deflection.
Plus, UNH had called off the dogs on defense. Not taking anything away from his numbers, but it's not difficult to score in garbage time.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I believe Trainer has one more year on his contract, right?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Trainor is Baron 2. No extension most likely, whether he has another year or not.

This season is going to end up 2-9. Book it.

Enough to save his job? Not hardly.

Question is: is football truly on life support here? By the end of next season, we're probably going to find out.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch's article at the end of last season following the final loss said Trainor had ONE more season (which is this one we're witnessing).
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Mentality has to change, you never heard of Maine or UNH saying they would drop down to NEC, and Maine has big travel expenses. The NEC fiasco set the program back 5 years at least, and Joe is not to blame for that.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

There are a ton of coaches who could turn this around who would come out of the woodwork.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, if Rhody is going to keep football, they have to go all in. The commitment has to be made in all areas, including improving facilities. That means big bucks, spread out over a period of time yes, but big bucks any way you look at it.

Would they do it? Will they do it? Can they do it?

As you might tell, I'm not on the optimistic side of things, on this subject anyway.

As for Trainor, there's a very slim chance he stays, and imo ol' Slim left town a while ago.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Well, I like to think many coaches could turn the program around and it would not take a stadium like Liberty University has to do it. A little commitment could go a long way.
One thing that gets me is the length of time to call an offensive play. Only during one series in the CCSU game did Rhody get bunch of plays off in a fast time. Most times the QB is getting signals from the sideline ( guess the OC). I don't see any other teams that take this much time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

OBRAM, I agree about the money level of commitment. It doesn't need to be $100 million worth, or anything close to that.

If UNH can consistently field a winner, with facilities that aren't much better than ours, then it can be done.

The staff does need a serious upgrade though, not just in numbers, but quality. Don't we have the smallest staff in the CAA?

The football program, if it's going to live, has to have the football equivalent of Dan Hurley roaming the sidelines. A young [or relatively young] guy with energy and enthusiasm, who knows the game and has good recruiting ties. Someone who will be willing to take less money at the beginning, but build it piece by piece, as Dan has done. As long as the school gives him what he needs to be successful.

THAT's the issue here. My last sentence sums it all up, I think.

I know Rizzi might have been that guy. However, did he leave just because the bright lights of the NFL came calling, or was it that, plus the realization that he would never get what he needed to succeed at URI? I'll bet it was a combination of the two.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

UNH football stadium is nothing special, but they did put in field turf, and they have plans for improvements , I don't know about lights. Maine, Albany, Stony Brook all have better stadiums, it shows a commitment that URI has not demonstrated in at least 35 years, since the East Stands were built.
I agree on Rizzi, a combo of not getting what he wanted (He was pushing for the Student Athlete Center in 2009), and taking advantage of an NFL opportunity that you don't know would ever happened again, and also I think it is political, no Administrations wants to see their name in a Projo editorial that they spend money on facilities for football. I think we had an opportunity to do the East Stands over when they were condemned 3 years ago or so, but there again, it was big news on local TV. URI spending money to fix over stands, just like the same old we pay the basketball coach to much. Nobody understands, including the press, that URI is only getting 6% of operating budget from the the State of RI. The State spends more on the Dunk and RIC sports than at URI, but that never makes the news.
0 x
RhodysFinest34
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RhodysFinest34 »

I think the program could have new life with a Hurley-esqe hire. Basketball will be successful this year, ride the coat tails of that with a 'splash' football hire and a slew of new recruits (potentially some FBS transfers). At that point you at least have HOPE.

Sidenote - at one point in my professional employment I would like to have the lack of success this staff has had, and keep my job.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The money to "fix" football is going to have to come from BB revenue [when it comes] and from the pockets of our boosters/donors. The state isn't paying for squat.

If that's not enough [and the bean counters at URI know what the costs more or less will be, depending on what would be done] then it's not worth it.

The East stands HAVE to be replaced, no more band aids. The practice facilities have to be upgraded, along with the locker rooms/offices. The field surface itself can wait, along with lights.

The biggest upgrade will be the coaching staff. More and better coaches with better pay.

Again, if this can't be done, hello D1 hockey at some point.

The reason URI got back in the CAA was because Albany and Stony Brook were added, reducing travel costs. Those 2 programs are doing what it takes to get on a level playing field with the rest of the CAA. If we don't, or won't, GET OUT!
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RhodysFinest34 wrote:Sidenote - at one point in my professional employment I would like to have the lack of success this staff has had, and keep my job.

Why on earth would you desire a resume equivalent to rhody football's?????

That's the thing that ticks me off the most...how can you not get a play called in time?
How can you not have the punt team ready to go on the field?
How can you have ridiculously stupid penalties and NOT get in the kid's face enough to let ALL the players know that it's unacceptable, that you care, and that they will be held accountable?
Where is the pride that all athletes and coaches have to have if they are going to have a chance to compete?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

aren't there empty rooms in the Ryan Center ?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder, that's why this coaching staff won't be around next year.

It's not just the players that are short on talent.

Hell, even if URI did go to the NEC, they were going to be a bottom feeder in that conference too. Look at the blowout losses to Monmouth.

Pathetic.

Hurley, when he came here, had a big job to do, to change the culture of losing. A bigger job than he thought.

Wait until the new football coaches come in. Good luck to them. They'll need it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:rhodyrudder, that's why this coaching staff won't be around next year.

It's not just the players that are short on talent.

Hell, even if URI did go to the NEC, they were going to be a bottom feeder in that conference too. Look at the blowout losses to Monmouth.

Monmouth is no longer in the NEC. URI's biggest win in years was against its only NEC opponent of this year, Central Ct State. Rhody's only other win this season was against Albany which tied for first place in the NEC last year. Saying they would be a bottom feeder in the NEC is very debatable.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Where did the money go from the game URI football played at Army, Buffalo, Syracuse, BC? The money went into the general Athletic fund, not all back to football, some probably went to (M) basketball. Maine plays two money games this year (Northwestern and UMass). Where else can you make $250-$500K? I think we will get money from playing Old Dominion.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, a little compared to a game against a BCS whale.
0 x