FOOTBALL: Uconn fires coach after blowout loss at Buffalo

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: FOOTBALL: Uconn fires coach after blowout loss at Buffal

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I always wondered why UConn hired him in the first place. He sucked at Syracuse after Donovan McNabb graduated.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

A $750,000 buyout - I guess the big time schools can afford it. I wonder how much cash Uconn pulls in just for parking at their games? Different world!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Coach Pas lives in Charlestown (Quonnie).
Uri needs to put him and KC Keeler on short list in case Trainer has another losing season.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Who would be a possible short list at this point? Last time we had a full on coaching search, I felt like the obvious choice was Rizzi. I think that the Rizzi hire was the right move, and would have liked to see him stick around for more then one year. Another name that was mentioned was Jack Cosgrove from UMaine. That would have been a solid hire. I believe it was a pretty quick turnaround when we hired Trainer, and there wasn't much of a search or many names mentioned.
There doesn't seem to be an obvious choice this time if we do in fact fire Trainer. At this point, trust Thorr to make the right choice if he does decide to hire a new coach.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Kc Keeler
Paul pasqualani
Don Brown
mark Whipple
Pete rossamundo
The coach at Dean JC
The coach at assumption (used to be at Salve)
Joe Gilmartin (NK HC) undefeated.

This just off top of my head.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Hal Kopp wrote:The coach at assumption (used to be at Salve)
Bob Chesney. He should be at the top of the list.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Chesney is the coach at Assumption ?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

If fire Coach Trainer at the end of the year, do we hire someone who lost to Bryant 34-7? Would he leave Assumption after only 1 year (or 2 if Coach Trainer is out next year)? Does he leave one 1AA school for another?
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

Todd Vasey is the coach at Dean College. Very nice guy.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Bos8 wrote:If fire Coach Trainer at the end of the year, do we hire someone who lost to Bryant 34-7? Would he leave Assumption after only 1 year (or 2 if Coach Trainer is out next year)? Does he leave one 1AA school for another?
Assumption is D-II.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Good Call. For some reason I was thinking they were in the NEC, not the NE-10. So it would be a definite upgrad for him, but does he leave so quickly after going to Assumption?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Coach Pas lives in Charlestown (Quonnie).
Uri needs to put him and KC Keeler on short list in case Trainer has another losing season.
Other than Coach P beiong available and living local, why would URI want him as a head coach? He is in the twilight of his career and failed at his last two stops. I wouldn't want him as the top guy at URI given what will be required. A washed up coach is not what Rhody needs. The only role I could see for him at URI would be as an assistant helping out a less experienced head coach.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Bos8 wrote:Good Call. For some reason I was thinking they were in the NEC, not the NE-10. So it would be a definite upgrad for him, but does he leave so quickly after going to Assumption?
I definitely agree. Circumstances aside I'd love to see Chesney at Rhody but the timing is probably off. I seriously think he'll end up in the NFL or at a high D-1 school sooner rather than later. He's young, he's on the rise, and he's that good.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Think Chesney's good-check out Rossamundos record at New Haven.
A lot of good coaches locally. Rhody just gets the wrong ones (plus contract extensions).
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There are actually more important things that need to be changed than the head coach for URI to be competitive.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

When Stowers brought a recruit in he could almost not bring him to the football offices, they are awful, and the weight room was off campus ( this will get better), and the practice field are awful and the East Stands and a field next to the basketball center are all well below acceptable levels for college sports. The recruit would say, 'Thanks for the tour, nice basketball court you have, see ya later'.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Going to require mucho dinero to bring the facilities up to CAA standards. Only way I see this happening is with basketball money from NCAA invites.

The SADC is a start, but a long way to go.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rambone 78 wrote:Going to require mucho dinero to bring the facilities up to CAA standards. Only way I see this happening is with basketball money from NCAA invites.
I'm sure Hurley is going to love this plan.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As you know, all the money the BB program earns from all sources, won't all go back to the program. It will be spread around. Nothing new there.

I'm sure Dan knows that.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rambone 78 wrote:As you know, all the money the BB program earns from all sources, won't all go back to the program. It will be spread around. Nothing new there.

I'm sure Dan knows that.
Scary.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Would Pat Narduzzi from Michigan State be a potential candidate? Similar to Rizzi, Narduzzi both played and coached at URI.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Narduzzi does not like RI kids (most don't),comes across as bitter to me.
From reliable sources.
Good coach though.
I can't see it.
We need a rising star HC.
No more big ten assts..
0 x
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BIG_FISH_RI »

narduzzi is a GREAT guy and a GREAT coach. He would turn the program around real fast. HOWEVER, He is going to draw offers from MUCH bigger programs then URI.

URI needs to Upgrade facilities 1st and formost. You have to take the program serious. THEY DON'T.

As for the next coach............ I would hire Lajon Jones.

Great coach with a ton of passion for the game. He has a coaching staff in RI all former URI players and they are Pretty damn impressive with the talent they have. He would get backing from all former players and he would be up for the TEST. At least he wouldnt demand HUGE dollars and steal from the program like Trainer. Guy is 9-35 and still has a job.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Understanding Rhody's money woes and switching to and back to the caa., has any coach stayed at a school for this long with that terrible of a record? I mean think about that what the hell lol. Talking about Trainor BTW
0 x
GO RAMS
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

Rhodymob05 wrote:Understanding Rhody's money woes and switching to and back to the caa., has any coach stayed at a school for this long with that terrible of a record? I mean think about that what the hell lol. Talking about Trainor BTW
No and thats a HUGE issue. He won 9 games well 10 games now in 5 years!!!!!! :shock:

Is anyone paying attention. He would have been fired after the winless season.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Interesting points. To be honest, I am surprised that we were able to manage 2 (if not more) conference games this year. Watching the Albany game, I felt like Albany was the more talented team.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Trainer come back. Do I think this is the right move? I'm not sure. I could just as easily see the team put up another 2 win season next year. What worries me a bit is that 8 of the 11 starters on Defense are Seniors. 5 of the 11 on offense are seniors, not to mention special teams guys like Robbie Jackson and Mackenzie Elliot are seniors. I am concerned that if Trainer sticks around, we have another stagnant season of 3-9 with no momentum gained. If we bring someone else in, while we may struggle record wise, they will be working to change the culture and bring talent in. There is a difference between Rizzi's 3-9 year in 2008 in which he was building the program and bringing in talent, versus a guy like Trainer going 3-9 in year 6 and things staying status quo.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Bos8 wrote:Interesting points. To be honest, I am surprised that we were able to manage 2 (if not more) conference games this year. Watching the Albany game, I felt like Albany was the more talented team.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Trainer come back. Do I think this is the right move? I'm not sure. I could just as easily see the team put up another 2 win season next year. What worries me a bit is that 8 of the 11 starters on Defense are Seniors. 5 of the 11 on offense are seniors, not to mention special teams guys like Robbie Jackson and Mackenzie Elliot are seniors. I am concerned that if Trainer sticks around, we have another stagnant season of 3-9 with no momentum gained. If we bring someone else in, while we may struggle record wise, they will be working to change the culture and bring talent in. There is a difference between Rizzi's 3-9 year in 2008 in which he was building the program and bringing in talent, versus a guy like Trainer going 3-9 in year 6 and things staying status quo.
I'm not just concerned we will have another stagnant season with Trainer, I guarantee we have another awful season. As I posted in the other topic, he has never had a winning season as a head coach. His formula does not work. I really think he needs to go.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

LaJohn jones could be candidate. Along with Steve Stoehr and Billy Mccagney. keith Kenyon also.
They would not accept this.
The Delaware game was winnable. I was there.
You could watch a Rhody game with your eyes closed and recite the script.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

LaJohn jones could be candidate. Along with Steve Stoehr and Billy Mccagney. keith Kenyon also.
They would not accept this.
The Delaware game was winnable. I was there.
Hal Kopp wrote:You could watch a Rhody game with your eyes closed and recite the script.
You can say that again. If I can tell you what plays they run every single possession in every single game, I'm sure the opposing teams know as well.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Is Trainer's contract excessive? I have no idea what he's signed for.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Someone said he's on the last year of his contract. If so, my guess is, he's gone.

If he has one year left, then maybe or maybe not. I imagine if there's a buyout amount, it's not much compared to what Baron got.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

rhodyfan3 wrote: As I posted in the other topic, he has never had a winning season as a head coach. His formula does not work. I really think he needs to go.
He's never had a winning season as a head coach?! How was his initial hiring perceived? Never paid much attention to URI football before, but I've been following the team for the last 4 years (girlfriend's brother is on the team), and Trainer is atrocious, week after week.
0 x
Go Rhody!
rhodyfan3
ARD

Andrew, this is directly from gorhody.com. 2013 season was not included, but we are currently 3-6 as most of you probably know.

CAREER COACHING RECORD
YEAR INSTITUTION RECORD
2005 Millersville 5-6
2006 Millersville 5-6
2007 Millersville 3-8
2009 Rhode Island 1-10
2010 Rhode Island 5-6
2011 Rhode Island 3-8
2012 Rhode Island 0-11
2013 Rhode Island 0-0
Career 22-55
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

That's unbelievable. What was the reaction when he was initially hired?
0 x
Go Rhody!
rhodyfan3
ARD

I'm actually interested in knowing that as well. I am a student here and he was hired the year before I came.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Here's the official release when Trainer was hired at Rhody. Probably the most rosy perspective on his career at the time.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 09aab.html
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

WOW..........
Trainer got the job as I recall becasue they did not want to spend money and time on a coaching search.

This place is a JOKE!!!!!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

When Trainer was hired, head coach Darren Rizzi had left, unexpectedly I believe, to take a job with the Miami Dolphins in late February. Within a week, Joe Trainer was introduced as the Head Coach. He had just left to take a job with a 1A team (I forget who). Rizzi's hire brought momentum and positivity back into the program, and it appeared to be moving in the right direction. We had brought in talent transfers and had a good freshman class coming in. I think the thought was that Trainer would be able to keep the positive momentum rolling.
0 x
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

Correct. Trainer was hired as a hope to keep what Rizzi had going, going. Poor hire. should have hired one of the coaches that you interviewed in the the Rizzi process. Swepson would have been a great hire over Trainer. His resume is 10X more impressive.

Just a poor hire
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Trainer was headed to Bowling Green as DC under Clawson.
Told Rhody officials that if anything opened in future,keep him in mind.
What I remember at time,is there was some urgency (hindsight deems unnecessary),continuity (one yr.?) and Trainer was cheap?
Same mistake as extending Stowers,hiring Floyd Keith,etc..
Blame the people who hired them also. Not just the coaches fault.
0 x