FOOTBALL: What does Meade need?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

FOOTBALL: What does Meade need?

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

I have been a lurker for sometime, after comments in the URI Fordham post and the tailgate post I thought of things that would/could enhance the experience at Meade and the football program. Similar to the one about the Ryan Center.

-Alcohol self explanatory.
-A change in game times all home games are at 1 most kids don't get up at that time because they still have a hangover from the night before. Not many college kids want to get up that early to see a loosing team.
-A new coach. When Dan Hurley stepped in at URI there was a rebirth in the basketball program. If URI did the same thing to football I believe there would be similar results.
-An old URI tradition of the live ram has to come back.
-A commercial or presentation to the public. The only commercials for URI sports is the basketball program. If more people from the public showed up the crowd could be louder.
-A Rhody Madness(esque) type event. If there was a rally before the games where students could get involved or something to pump them up for the season more would show up.
-Be more active on social media. The facebook page is Rhode Island Football why isn't it University of Rhode Island Football. Have the normal URI pages and twitters retweet or share links that the athletics teams put up. More students like the URI pages than the athletics pages. Delete all old,dead accounts.
-students want URI to win and be active at games but they just dont know how. If the student section got more amped for football the same way they do for basketball on twitter things would be different.
-Have a coach that speaks more tweet. I know Trainer has youtube but that doesnt get to the students.

I think thats most of it.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Re: What does Meade need?

Unread post by Andrew »

"Everything" is the answer you're looking for.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

A winning football team.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

A big bulldozer
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Exactly! Those rusted iron stands are hideous.
I like looking down through them. Makes you feel really safe from
25 feet up.
They did a nice job on the side abutting Ryan. Knock down the metal junk and
make that like the other side.
Cranston East had a better stadium, until the screwed around with the visitor's side.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I still don't know why they altered Cranston Stadium. I may be biased, but I always thought it was the best stadium in the state.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Westerly High School just added new stands to their facility. If URI was able to capture some sort of experience like have an opening they would be able to sell out even when losing. The walk down that little hill is so anti-climatic.

Like how do we compete with that

or
0 x
Give me football or give me death
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Let's walk before we can run. Here's a team in our actual FCS conference:

0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Ill give it to you JMU has facilities and a great stadium. If we can put some money in to our program we can surpass them. If they even added a blow up ram over on the hill with some smoke and had the drum line and cheerleaders line up and the team run through.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

ramfan85 wrote:I still don't know why they altered Cranston Stadium. I may be biased, but I always thought it was the best stadium in the state.
I think Pierce in East Providence is the best, especially considering it's still natural grass. (Note: I may also be bias)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So does Stebbins Field.
It has comcrete stands, not flimsy metal ones, and
is bowl shaped.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Rod and others -yes. Stonington HS has new field also.
Actually,not all that much $$.
This really should be deferred maintenance and not capital expense.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, why isn't URI being proactive in upgrading Meade?
Why are there high school stadia in the area with larger
capacities?
I think the facilities make a difference to recruits.
Most of these kids will look at Meade and say,
"Geez, my high school has a better stadium than this
scrap pile!"
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

At this point, I wonder how cost-effective it is to upgrade and update Meade. Just tear it up or build something new elsewhere on campus if you're serious about football going forward. Heck, put an artificial turf down and line it for a bunch of sports, like they do with Cranston or, of all places, Middletown and Salve. Use it for other collegiate sports, or offer it as a hub / alternate field for things like the RIHS playoffs, like RIC, Salve and RWU currently do.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, the irony of moving the stadium to elsewhere on
campus is, they shoehorned Ryan into a space, to
overlook the football dump. at the expense of thousands of seats.
They lopped off an entire quarter corner, to do so.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

"At this point, I wonder how cost-effective it is to upgrade and update Meade"

I understand what you're saying but was that even in consideration 10, 20, or even 30 years ago? Its an embarrassing piece to this university and should be number one in thorrs mind. Bad program or not. Seems to me like football is staying unless I hear evidence otherwise.
0 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

From what I've heard, that last part isn't written in stone.
It may be why there's no action taken to upgrade the stadium.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think they're quietly treating Football like Jim Baron -- setting some objectives and performance levels that must be met or else they begin the process of shutting it all down. What we don't know is 1) what are those objectives and 2) what is the timeline for this evaluation.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

ATP is 100% on the money.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ATPTourFan wrote:I think they're quietly treating Football like Jim Baron -- setting some objectives and performance levels that must be met or else they begin the process of shutting it all down. What we don't know is 1) what are those objectives and 2) what is the timeline for this evaluation.
This almost seems cruel, don't we know already that without facilities and resources the program can't compete?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They seem like they want football to die a slow death,
to justify dumping it, rather than solving the problem.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Football is an attraction for college students why would you cut it I know its doing crappy but if they put something in to it they can have more people come to games. They just have to build it up and keep some of the traditions. Students want to have a crazy section like in Death Valley. Students just don't know where to start or who to talk to. Yes the current student section does great but there isn't as much emphasis on football as their is basketball.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Didn't help that we lost those scholarships last season, which makes it MUCH more difficult than Baron had it in an already terrible football program. I'm not defending Baron OR Trainor, I want this program to succeed because lets face it, its the second most attended sporting event BY 50 miles at this school. Maybe even the most.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

I know the marching band has limited scholarships but if the university was able to see what students played in band in high school and wanted to continue they could attract more musicians to increase the half time show and the pregame. I know some FCS schools that have cheerleaders that run on to the field all the way around with the state flag the american flag and spell out the school name on other flags if URI had an opening like that it would be spectacular. Meade is almost a sit on your hands facility. most other colleges allow their students to get rowdy in order to partake in the festivities of game day. If games weren't always at 1 or 12 the crowd would be louder.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

I'm friendly with few coaches in the football program and a supporter of the program. Word is, is that the school is committed to improving the football program. Many feel the new student athlete center will give the program a major boost in recruiting. If funding can be found, there is talks to major improvements to Meade. Many of us agree that the old bleacher section should go. No reason why a slightly larger seat section that is against Ryan Center can't be built where old section is now. The lack of scholarships really decimated this program and will take a few years to recover. As for Trainor, I really like him as a coach and think there is potential with him and he finally has surrounded himself with solid coaches. My one problem with him is he doesnt let his Coordinators call the formations especially on defense. He has a great DC now in Vaganek and needs to let him call the defense. Joe can be a rather control freak most times. It's worked up in Foxboro but not sure it's needed here. Let the coaches coach. Can't get much worse.

I also have heard many involved want to see what occurrs with UConn and UMass as many feel they will return to FCS in the next 5-10 years. I do admit that the game against Fordham really let the wind out of my sails. Watching practice and talking to some of the coaches and players, the confidence level was high but... let's see what happens against Stony Brook on Sat.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

BFC wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I think they're quietly treating Football like Jim Baron -- setting some objectives and performance levels that must be met or else they begin the process of shutting it all down. What we don't know is 1) what are those objectives and 2) what is the timeline for this evaluation.
This almost seems cruel, don't we know already that without facilities and resources the program can't compete?
While not discounting completely what you are saying, because I generally do agree with what you are saying, UNH has done pretty well with crummy resources.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

New hashtag for Meade: #raze
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

URI96 wrote:While not discounting completely what you are saying, because I generally do agree with what you are saying, UNH has done pretty well with crummy resources.
Personnally I think the UNH example says alot about FCS football and college football in the northeast. Yes they win but what has it done for them? Attendance is still low (for football), donors aren't throwing money at the program, the state isn't pushing for a stadium, everyone believes the culture will change here with a winning program but it hasn't there.
But you are right, they do win football games, something URI has been struggling with long before the scholarship reduction.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

What about the open field over by flagg road why cant a new stadium be built and the lacrosse, rugby teams can be moved in to Meade.

URI could have players and coaches be more vocal and try to see if students would help fund raise for a better stadium.

Trainer has to go for the team to improve he is a nice guy and everything but his play calling is lacking. He has yet to have a 500 record while coach at URI. Having a new coach will come in will bring excitement to the program (Ex. Dan Hurley.) Trainer is not active enough in other students as much as Hurley and that is what hurts when it comes to students coming to the game.

Imagine the excitement behind each game if their were rallies the night before or a ram walk before each game similar to the parade that some FBS teams do before the games.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Excitement about a new coach?
How about a guy who won a national championship and was COY of his league and National COY?
Remember this guy?
"Tim Stowers won the 1990 I-AA National Championship (12-3) and was named AFCA Kodak National Coach of the Year. Stowers also won Georgia Southern's first ever Southern Conference Title in 1993(first year in league)and was named 1993 Southern Conference Coach of the Year"
Guess that didn't work out.
Students raising money for a new stadium? You can't even get them to attend games,
let alone raise millions of dollars needed for such a project.
Much as I'd like to see URI football at least be competitive,
I just don't see it happening.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Start with having excitement at Meade, win games, then start raising money. baby steps. If students were able to see the potential and had alumni support they would help and pitch in for a new stadium especially with the growth of the university in the past two years. More students want an exciting football program than expected. Having that 0 win season hurt alot.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

How do you start with winning when you have the worst facilities in the CAA - everything you turn around someone is talkin about dropping the program and there is very little fan support.

If football is to be erected (I refuse to say resurrected because I can't believe it was ever that successful) the financial commitment to the facilities must happen first. It does not have to be grand, as rod said extend what you did on the Ryan center around the field. Then tell everyone that they can tailgate again at the new stadium.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

What is this talk about a new stadium and location? I think the location is perfect why not just improve it like that concept drawing from a few years back, I thought that was perfect.
0 x
GO RAMS
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Excitement about a new coach?
How about a guy who won a national championship and was COY of his league and National COY?
Remember this guy?
"Tim Stowers won the 1990 I-AA National Championship (12-3) and was named AFCA Kodak National Coach of the Year. Stowers also won Georgia Southern's first ever Southern Conference Title in 1993(first year in league)and was named 1993 Southern Conference Coach of the Year"
Guess that didn't work out.

I really liked Coach Stowers. He had some success when he was here but he was strapped by the university. There was even less support then than there is now. My feeling is the fact that there is more support now(albeit little) is due to the real chance the school could drop football. Back when Coach Stowers was here, many felt then that things would turn around bc Floyd Keith was so awful and was only about bettering himself from the moment he got here. My hope is that the University will give it one last MAJOR push, give it 5-7years to try and get it respectable in the CAA/FCS(like say Maine).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I liked Stowers, too.
Just a Good Ole Boy, very laid back.
Hell of a nice guy, too.
Never had a prayer.
Keith was the worst, though.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Keith was the pits and look at the job he has now (Only in America).
Stowers and his W-L record should get parts in a zombie movie.
Hiring him was not a mistake,giving him the 2nd extension was a colossal error.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I would like a new Meade built elsewhere on campus on higher ground that you know will not flood, well , until the Greenland Ice Sheet melts, but when that happens all the Florida recruits will come to play for Rhody. Make Meade into the outdoor track, the west stands would be enough for an outside track and nice track events, and put a berm up along east side to protect from White Horn Creek. Yup, dream on.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OBRAM wrote:I would like a new Meade built elsewhere on campus on higher ground that you know will not flood, well , until the Greenland Ice Sheet melts, but when that happens all the Florida recruits will come to play for Rhody. Make Meade into the outdoor track, the west stands would be enough for an outside track and nice track events, and put a berm up along east side to protect from White Horn Creek. Yup, dream on.

If there was to be a new football facility, I would make Meade the soccer field.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

That would work, as I don't think you would need many more seats, and maybe you could still have a track on the outside of the soccer field.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:What is this talk about a new stadium and location? I think the location is perfect why not just improve it like that concept drawing from a few years back, I thought that was perfect.

OBRAM had supplied the rendering via FLICKR. The link is no longer vaild. Perhaps he could share it once again.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Can we have this with a ram?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I saved it but don't know how to insert it
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Got it
Attachments
there it is, GORGEOUS!
there it is, GORGEOUS!
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

That would be perfect then if URI football ever grew it could become a bowl. Progress is what is needed.

I am trying to see if any member of the SAA(Student Alumni Association) would be willing to try and hold rallies for football games and tailgates. They are the same organization that plans Midnight Madness.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This design includes the current seating which is the majority, then beefs it up with brick facades which match the ryan center. It has an ACTUALL entrance/ ticket stub area and is enclosed on either side with more stands which creates an actual stadium. I know this is an old concept but its economical by reusing current stands and looks fantastic, it also shows vendors which is a great idea. Which brings me to this. WHY isn't there any place to buy URI football gear at a game??? You have to walk a half a mile to the book store during games to buy anything. GIVE THIS A SECOND LOOK PEOPLE. man I love it
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Some people on this forum have more pull than me with my crummy sophomore standing. Why can't we formulate some sort of list that we think can help and send it to Thorr someone has his email on here.

I would love to have that as a football stadium the amount of money that could come in and players that it would attract would improve URI so much.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

There is gear sold in the shop under the Ryan Center?
Actually quite good and busy during games.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Whoops
0 x
GO RAMS
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Which brings me to this. WHY isn't there any place to buy URI football gear at a game??? You have to walk a half a mile to the book store during games to buy anything.
The Rams Zone in the north lobby of the Ryan Center is open during football.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

If there was a vendor closer to the home bleachers it would be more convenient than walking to the Ryan Center and leaving the stadium.
0 x