FOOTBALL: Tailgating & Students

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

FOOTBALL: Tailgating & Students

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Watching all these college football games got me thinking. Why doesnt the students (including myself) tailgate with the rest of the tailgaters? I know we haven't been good but was there a time when students did tailgate more?
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: tailgate

Unread post by rhodylaw »

There was a time when tailgating (particularly homecoming) was an event at Rhody and students/alums partook in it together. As Jamie Foxx would say - blame it on the alcohol. Fear of 18 year kids having too good of a time has destroyed that atmosphere and I don't think you will ever see it again.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I remember a German UmPapa band playing at the tailgate area at one game, may have been in the 1980s, and we used to have a live mascot.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

When football was relevant, during the 50's-90's, no matter how good or bad, it was fun before the game. It was fun for the alumni of ALL AGES to mix with students, grab a beer, whatever….. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Abuse and absolute INDISCRETION ruined everything….. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Bressler - I agree it got out of hand at the end but it is time to really start loosening the reigns again. I know alums who would go to games but still think they will be busted for having a beer. This is another place where Carothers failed. If it was an issue that frats were showing up with thousands of beers and handing them out indiscriminately there were ways to resolve the issue without a complete ban on adult fun. To those who say "you should be able to go to a game and not drink a beer" maybe you are right but look at all te college and pro programs that people support and there is a common denominator - beer and food. There is a reason football is popular. In today's online world tailgating is a social event that evryone can be involved in without having to make plans on Facebook. Show up and have a good time. Once Danny gets the hoops atmosphere back to where it belongs, Thorr should work in rebuilding the student/alum experience at the football games.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Also Rhody Mob some of this falls on the students to recreate this. When I was in school I had to drag my friends to games. We hid booze in water bottles and others would smoke up behind bushes. Yes that is what a crackdown did to the students who wanted to have fun - drove us to try to conceal what others before us had done for the last 50 years. If more students showed up and just started tailgating I do not think the police presence would be able to worry about some under age drinking.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

All good stuff, I am really just trying figure out a way to gather more fans. Now that I think of it there was a few games when there was tailgating in the plains lot parking lot. I want to see this program succeed. Even if that means going 500.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:All good stuff, I am really just trying figure out a way to gather more fans. Now that I think of it there was a few games when there was tailgating in the plains lot parking lot. I want to see this program succeed. Even if that means going 500.
I will be tailgating this Saturday for the 1pm Stonybrook Football Game
and also for the URI PC Soccer Game at 7pm Friday night
0 x