FOOTBALL: Rhode Island vs. Fordham 8/29/13

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: Rhode Island vs. Fordham 8/29/13

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Good Points, Ramulous and Obram,I am as down as anyone right now after Thursday night.
But,am not being mean-spirited or facetious when I say anyone who thinks the $$ savings from dropping FB will be well spent,needs to have their head examined.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

We need a culture change in our football program that is similar to what Hurley is doing to our basketball program.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Rhodyfan3,you couldn't have said it any better.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm right on board......change the culture.....demand 100% effort and commitment.....from Bjorn down to the guys who hold the first down sticks on gameday....and everyone in between.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It is a tough job to turn around a program that has sucked for 20 plus years, has little fan support and the worst facilities in the nation that I know of. Freakin Albany has a new stadium.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yeah, I should have my head examined, because I don't think dumping money
year after year, into a moribund program, is wrong.
What are you watching? We're a bottom of the barrel program, with a high school facility who goes through coach after coach, with the same results. LOUSY.
Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick combined, couldn't help this program.
Comparing basketball and getting Hurley, to this quagmire, is way off base.
Basketballl at URI has had national impact several times. That can not be remotely said
of URI football.
Not happening.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What would it take then? Serious question, coaches money, a new stadium? Maine is better, Fordham is better and other schools that have no business having a better football program than us. I don't understand how we could be this bad for this long.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Rhode Island College has a new Student Development/Student Fitness/Pool and Indoor track center that cost $11 million 100% State Funded, and at URI we have to get $2.5 million donations to do over a section of Tootell. Projo never complained that this was a Bond issue for RIC sports, it if was for URI they would have come out against it. They were talking about a new Meade football stadium 10 years ago, and unless someone donates the money it will not happen now. 10 years and nothing happens, progress is glacially slow at URI and I would say the main problem is the Government in Providence. How no one in the General Assembly is embarrassed at the athletic facilities at the State University if beyond my imagination, not to mention the Fine Arts building and other eye sores. We don't have an outside track, we know the football facilities, and if it was not for donations there would be no tennis courts, Meade Stadium West Stands, baseball field, and Student Ath. Development Center, Ryan Center, Boss Ice rink. However, the state can spend money to fix over the Dunk, McCoy Stadium, Veterans Auditorium, RI College Athl. Dev Center , RIC Track, RIC Tennis courts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OBRAM wrote:Rhode Island College has a new Student Development/Student Fitness/Pool and Indoor track center that cost $11 million 100% State Funded, and at URI we have to get $2.5 million donations to do over a section of Tootell. Projo never complained that this was a Bond issue for RIC sports, it if was for URI they would have come out against it. They were talking about a new Meade football stadium 10 years ago, and unless someone donates the money it will not happen now. 10 years and nothing happens, progress is glacially slow at URI and I would say the main problem is the Government in Providence. How no one in the General Assembly is embarrassed at the athletic facilities at the State University if beyond my imagination, not to mention the Fine Arts building and other eye sores. We don't have an outside track, we know the football facilities, and if it was not for donations there would be no tennis courts, Meade Stadium West Stands, baseball field, and Student Ath. Development Center, Ryan Center, Boss Ice rink. However, the state can spend money to fix over the Dunk, McCoy Stadium, Veterans Auditorium, RI College Athl. Dev Center , RIC Track, RIC Tennis courts.
Totally agree.
At least we came to our senses and returned back to the CAA.
As you said, things move glacially slow, but I would rather we stay the course and keep the football team and stay in the CAA than to abandon football altogether.
I have to believe that our President knows the situation and will guide the University towards a better place. I don't know exactly who reversed the decision to join the NEC but I am glad they did.
The monetory support to URI from the State is at a dismal all time low and continually headed lower so URI has to adjust to that and the results have been quite good in some areas.
The point that dropping football will not mean that the money will necessarily be used wisely is a good one. I don't believe the Basketball Program will benefit one iota if Football gets dropped. Seems to be that many think Basketball would benefit but that football money would just get sucked into the system.
URI needs a Football Program - period. URI needs to improve the Football Program - obviously. Dropping the Football Program does not make Basketball Better, or Soccer, or Baseball......................
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Really? How many sports has URI dropped over the years,
and yet this putrid program continues?
Wrestling and Gymnastics come to mind.
URI doesn't NEED football. What exactly does getting the crap
beat out of the team week after week, year after year, accomplish?
What does having a entire winless season do for URI?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Really? How many sports has URI dropped over the years,
and yet this putrid program continues?
Wrestling and Gymnastics come to mind.
URI doesn't NEED football. What exactly does getting the crap
beat out of the team week after week, year after year, accomplish?
What does having a entire winless season do for URI?
I totally disagreed when URI dropped the wrestling program. They were a Top 25 program at the time too.

I understand Rod, that you want the football program dropped, you have wanted that for a long time.

I like the Football program, don't like the losing. I prefer that we fix what we have and get a team capable of winning. That is the real issue here. Dropping the program because it sucks is simply not what I prefer, fix what sucks, just like we did with Basketball.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rod,remember when you posted-"I will support Jim Baron" after he was hired ?
CFL took a ton of $$ and a program on life support (+ a great new gym) and left it where it could not even fog a mirror.

Please no more of your recommendations on the $$ end of things!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Utter nonsense! I was against Baron's hire at the beginning.
That's well noted, so don't try your revisionist garbage on me!
I stated my support for Baron after we beat a heavily favored PC team at the Dunk, two or three years into his time here,until the Creighton fiasco.
After that I was adamant about him leaving.
There is no fixing the football program. Period. I've also been told,
this mess will not be allowed to continue unabated.
I have nothing against football, per se. I loved the Bob Griffin years,
when win or lose, it was exciting and fun to attend the games.
If there was a way to magically return to that level and at least be
competitive, sure, keep football.
It's been decades of futility, and from what I've seen, nobody has a solution.
T Boone Pickens is not walking through that door.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

"I've been around a long, long time, though perhaps not as long as some. The reality has been, is, and always will be this: the state's local media will never treat URI as the favored child, no matter what it accomplishes academically or on the athletic field. Also, the arrogant are just that; they will never admit or acknowledge anything URI achieves.
Lamentable, but true…………."
I posted this elsewhere the other day; it could be about infrastructure, football, RIC being funded, URI BEING ABSOLUTELY UNDERFUNDED!!!!!!!!!!WHATEVER!!!!!!!
Since URI receives less and less in Rhode Island state-funding year-after-year, why doesn't someone just step forward and attempt to make the University, well, semi-private-public?????????
I'm not going to propose some grand plan here, but as an alumnus and citizen of RI, enough is ENOUGH!!!!!!!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rod,appreciate your passion. You and others have kept the interest alive in dark times.
I am with the majority that dropping FB will not improve hoops,baseball,soccer,etc.. Dropping wrestling and gymnastics is a shame. Again,because there is a lot of waste in other areas.
But,sports with exception of FB & hoops do not draw. Sorry,but they need to do a better job of alumni donations and attendance.
Here you go,even a lot of the RI HS coaches do a good job.

http://www.theday.com/article/20130521/ ... /305219937
"Fundraising is an art. It is also tedious and tenuous. Bidwell's still doing it after all these years. Good thing his reputation precedes him.

"I met with (former athletic director) Lew Perkins in the mid '90s," Bidwell said. "He basically said, 'if you want an athletic program, find a way to pay for it. We're not.'"
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Football plays an important role in fundraising and connecting with alum and parents of current students. Homecoming without football? Not as many alums would come to campus. I've been in the stands the last couple of seasons when they had family day. Lots of parents with their kids from all over the northeast. Good PR for URI. And it doesn't matter if URI wins or not, they don't really care.
I believe a state university should have a football program. They need to either make the investment so they can be competitive or drop to a level where they can be.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Hal Kopp wrote:But,am not being mean-spirited or facetious when I say anyone who thinks the $$ savings from dropping FB will be well spent,needs to have their head examined.
So you don't trust the powers that be to wisely spend the money that would be saved but you trust them to build a quality college football program?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

No,I don't,my point is BFC-how much money has been wasted on termination buyouts and underserving contract extensions?
Since 1998 when Mens BB last went to tourney,how have all the teams fared?
I will give you track and field and baseball (maybe). Who are the others that are winning and drawing attendance and booster $$? I will bet more people go to one FB game than all the other sports other than BB combined.
Why stop at cutting football if winning and attendance matter?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Hal Kopp wrote:No,I don't,my point is BFC-how much money has been wasted on termination buyouts and underserving contract extensions?
Since 1998 when Mens BB last went to tourney,how have all the teams fared?
I will give you track and field and baseball (maybe). Who are the others that are winning and drawing attendance and booster $$? I will bet more people go to one FB game than all the other sports other than BB combined.
Why stop at cutting football if winning and attendance matter?
Cost. Not all red ink is equal.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I will write a check to another sports booster fund,if they don't use dropping football as a reason to take out some others that are not drawing and winning. Which puts most of them in jeopardy. Subject that consistently comes up in meetings is the lack of revenue girls sports bring in. If they dump say 50 FB scholarships,how many equals could they get rid of on the womens side?
0 x