W-BASKETBALL: Lady Rams Recruiting

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: W-BASKETBALL: Tyler Raysor Commits to A-10 School

Unread post by BFC »

http://rivals.yahoo.com/nychoops/girls% ... ard-152200

Dominique Ward commits to Rhode Island.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: W-BASKETBALL: Lady Rams Recruiting

Unread post by neil »

I think Coach Inglese is in her 5th year of a 5 year contract. One would think she needs, at least, to have a 500 record this year.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, Neil. I would be surprised if Thorr has not already given her performance objectives required to get a modest 2yr contract extension.

In my opinion, this would be a huge disappointment if Inglese were not to be extended after this season given her past coaching accomplishments.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

They had a good recruiting year last year, including Tayra Melendez, who led URI in scoring, 6-3 Samantha Tabakman, who led the team in rebounding, and Kallie Banker, who scored 1700 points in high school but missed last season with URI because of injury. The talent level is getting better.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Inglese has a great gig. Like most of the uri coaches. Long term,good pay,no results.
How are the other fall teams doing this year?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I didn't realize things were as bad as they are. They've won 4 conference games in her 4 years here. I will be honest, in that I pay very little attention to the women's team. What is the reason for the struggles? Was the program in bad shape when Garrick left? Was the culture around the program so bad that it was a blow up and rebuild? Or have there been injuries, transfers, or recruits just not panning out? Or is there another reason preventing this team from being successful.
I actually pulled up their media guide, and I was surprised to see that since 96, the team has had two winning seasons (they went 16-15 in 2003 and 16-13 in 2004). If you keep going back, they've only had 5 winning seasons since 1984! They had a nice stretch from 94-96 when they went 20-11 in 94, 16-11 in 95 and 21-8 with an NCAA appearance in 96. That NCAA appearance in 96 is the teams only trip to the NCAA ever.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

How is women's bb any different from the bulk of programs at Rhody?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Yes, it was a complete rebuild. Some of that Tommy G. must take the blame for but some of it was lack of support from the university. From what I hear, Inglese at one point threatened to walk away from the job unless the program got more support. Thorr stepped up -- she has a much bigger staff than Garrick did, for instance. There has been turnover on her staff, though, which I don't think has helped. Last year they played a ton of young players and they have good freshmen this year and next ... so we'll see. I'm not letting Inglese off the hook, but it was a big job. we'll see what happens.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: W-BASKETBALL: Tyler Raysor Commits to A-10 School

Unread post by ace »

BFC wrote:http://rivals.yahoo.com/nychoops/girls% ... ard-152200

Dominique Ward commits to Rhode Island.
Same AAU program as Hassan Martin
0 x