0-6 GSU versus 0-5 URI today at Family Day

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

0-6 GSU versus 0-5 URI today at Family Day

Unread post by ramster »

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-spor ... ate_sports

Somebody is going to get their first win of the season.

Doug Johnson will not play, out for the year unfortunately but may be able to get a redsirt year.

Next year:
Georgia State will play in Morgantown, West Va. in its first game against a Big 12 team on Sept. 14 and at Alabama on Oct. 5. The Panthers will receive $550,000 for the game against the Mountaineers and $700,000 for the game against Tide.
GSU will play at Oregon in 2015. They will receive $900,000 for the game.
Last edited by ramster 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 0-6 versus 0-6 today at Family Day

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I hope for everyone involved at the game today that Rhody can win this one.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 0-6 GSU versus 0-5 URI today at Family Day

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is down 24-0 at home to an 0-6 Georgia State team. A winless season is looking like a very distinct outcome. This Rhody football team may be the worst in FCS. I feel bad for the Ram football family. The school has really let them down. The lack of resources and musical chairs with scholarship levels and conferences have brought this about.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have never seen anything like this before. URI lost by the score of 41-7 yet led in time of possession 38:10 to 21:50. Ga State drove at will and scored in just a few plays on their drives with little time expiring. Winless Ga State just shredded the URI defense to quickly score while URI's inept offense ate clock and wasn't able to score until the game was nearly over.

First GSU Score-TD
Drive info: 5 plays, 63 yds in 2:19

Second GSU Score-TD
Drive info: 3 plays, 59 yds in 0:47

Third GSU Score-TD
Drive info: 3 plays, 64 yds in 1:01

Fourth GSU Score-FG (40yd)
Drive info: 5 plays, 55 yds in 1:45

Fifth GSU Score-FG (26yd)
Drive info: 5 plays, 34 yds in 1:25

Sixth GSU TD
Drive info: 8 plays, 75 yds in 2:24

Seventh GSU TD
Drive info: 7 plays, 80 yds in 2:44
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'm not seeing where a win comes from this season...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looks like the best shot at a win could be the last game of the season against Maine at Home.

Sat, Oct 20 at Delaware 3:30 pm
Sat, Oct 27 New Hampshire 12:00 pm
Sat, Nov 3 at Richmond 6:00 pm
Sat, Nov 10 at Towson 3:30 pm
Sat, Nov 17 Maine 12:00 pm

Old Dominion 2-0 5-0
James Madison 2-0 4-1
New Hampshire 3-1 5-2 *** Home
Villanova 2-1 4-2
Richmond 2-2 4-3 *** Away
Maine 1-1 2-3 *** Home
Towson 1-1 2-3 *** Away
Delaware 1-2 4-2 *** Away
William & Mary 1-2 2-4
Georgia State 1-3 1-6
Rhode Island 0-3 0-6
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Outscored 210-45 this year.

Allowed 30+ points in 5 out of 6 games

URI has scored double digits just once this season... When they tallied 10 points.

:shock:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We aren't good at football.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Either URI makes the investments necessary to be at least competitive within 2-3 years, or get out of football entirely. No half-ass "committments" either. No waste of the increased revenue from the men's BB program as it gets to the Dance, please.

No more talk, just results.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If they are going to get blown out every week they should at least do what Savannah State and Georgia State have done.

Go get beat by some of the best D1 teams and get a nice pay day out of it. It can't really get much worse than today.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I will continue to go to the games, but I don't think they will get a W.
Add one more fact - they have never been ahead of their opponent.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

neil wrote:Add one more fact - they have never been ahead of their opponent.
Ugh...
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

This is what happens when you take a frail program, then say you are going to the NEC, drop 16 scholarships, lose coaches. This was totally avoidable, as Joe Trainer had the program going in the right direction 2-3 years ago.
As far as increased revenue going from basketball to football, don't forget the students are paying for the big bond on the Ryan Center. URI has put extensive resources into basketball, financially and administrative support. Every sport at URI is second fiddle to basketball. The Ryan Center cost $54 Million 10 years ago, and football can't even get lights for the field. Don't forget Jim Baron was the highest paid coach in URI history by far, by a huge margin.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

OBRAM wrote:This is what happens when you take a frail program, then say you are going to the NEC, drop 16 scholarships, lose coaches. This was totally avoidable, as Joe Trainer had the program going in the right direction 2-3 years ago.
As far as increased revenue going from basketball to football, don't forget the students are paying for the big bond on the Ryan Center. URI has put extensive resources into basketball, financially and administrative support. Every sport at URI is second fiddle to basketball. The Ryan Center cost $54 Million 10 years ago, and football can't even get lights for the field. Don't forget Jim Baron was the highest paid coach in URI history by far, by a huge margin.
Are you saying URI's athletic department should not have the men's basketball program as their top priority?
0 x
Clapton is God
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

No, I did not say URI basketball should not be top priority, but when you spend $54 million on the Ryan Center and football can't get lights, there is an imbalance.
I see where Bob Kraft is thinking about putting a $120 million stadium for the Revs in Fall River. Two bad Kingston does not have good highway access, that could be a great multiuse stadium for Kingston, URI Soccer, URI Footballl, soccer Tournaments, summer concerts and the REVS.
0 x
RamDownSouth
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RamDownSouth »

I would rather see URI get a D1 Mens and Womens lacrosse programs going instead of Football or bump down to the NEC. I mean no disrespect to the URI Football family. Rhode Island is at a significant recruiting disadvantage to neighboring states when it comes to Football. Rhody struggles to recruit and land the handful of talented in-state kids. If they can't get those guys going to the state's premier university - that's not good.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamDownSouth wrote:I would rather see URI get a D1 Mens and Womens lacrosse programs going instead of Football or bump down to the NEC. I mean no disrespect to the URI Football family. Rhode Island is at a significant recruiting disadvantage to neighboring states when it comes to Football. Rhody struggles to recruit and land the handful of talented in-state kids. If they can't get those guys going to the state's premier university - that's not good.
If football was scrapped, and hockey and lacrosse boosted up to Division 1, I think those are smarter long-term plays. Rhode Island seems to have more of a natural talent base for those two sports, plus a lot more youth organizations, vs. football, where the southern states are always going to be dominant. The other factor at play here - Football is probably going to change substantially in the next 20 years, because of the concussion issue, and it might not be the worst thing in the world to withdraw from it completely.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The football issue aside (and I know this is a football thread), I still can't believe we don't try to go big with hockey. I feel like it could be very successful.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

I went to the game and it was horse bleep.
I feel bad for the alums who go every week.
The attendance was real good (6500). So,nice job marketing.
Adding hockey and lacrosse at FB's expense with crowds of 65 people does not excite me.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

You need a fall sport, and nothing better than Saturday Afternoon football and tailgating, but I would take a night game early in the year. I think hockey has head injury issues also.
0 x